Cheese & Dairy
Sherwood Plat Maps
First Owners Plat Maps
Memories & Letters
Old County News Clips
Sherwood, as it is presently
known, was the seventeenth
town in the county created by an order of the county board on the 8th
day of January, 1874, it consisted of township 23, Range 1, East; and
is the southeastern town in Clark County. It was originally called the
town of Perkins, taking its name from Hugh Perkins, ones of the prominent
settlers residing there. The first town meeting was held at the house
of Perkins on the first Tuesday of April, 1874.
It was known
as the town of Perkins for a little over two years, when the county
board of supervisors changed its name from Perkins to Sherwood Forest,
under which name is existed for nearly twenty years.
Hugh Perkins became
involved in an altercation with one Isaac Meddaugh, a resident of the
town, at the saw mill belonging to Perkins, the quarrel resulting in
the death of Meddaugh. Perkins was arrested, charged with murder. In
November, 1884, when confined in the Clark county jail (not the present
one) he broke jail and made his escape.
years after in October, 1888, he was re-captured at Windsor, Ontario,
opposite Detroit, Michigan. He was tried in June, 1889, and was convicted
of manslaughter in the first degree. This verdict was set aside by Judge
Newman, and Perkins was again tried in December, 1889, the jury finding
him guilty of manslaughter in the second degree. On appeal to the supreme
court this last conviction was reversed, and a new trail ordered, but
nothing further was done with the case.
the town named for a convicted murderer, the name Sherwood Forest was
suggested by Gov. C. C.
Washburn, who had lands and logging interests in the town. It was
an appropriate name, purely sentimental, but like its ancient namesake
in Notthinghamshire, England, was suggestive of the tradition of Robin
Hood, Little John, Friar Tuck, and Maid Marian. On the 12th
of January, 1900, the county board, on the application of the chairman
of the town, changed its name from Sherwood Forest to Forest.
the name of the town stands for nothing. It is neither fish, flesh,
fowl, nor good red herring.
Robert J. McBride's
1909 History of Clark Co., WI.
Sherwood at the Turn of the Century
of Sherwood, formerly the town of Perkins and later Sherwood Forest,
lies in the southeast corner of Clark County. The surface of the
township is somewhat level, though there are ridges running through
the town with one or two high bluffs. Until the past few years, the
farming land of the town had been hardly developed. In the past the
town was considered valuable principally for its timber, but since
the timber has been cleared off and the land has dried out because
of the clearing, the land has been producing better crops. Grass,
oats, corn, barley, peas, potatoes and all garden vegetables do well
in that area.
In the past few years, the town of Sherwood has developed much
faster than in the past. Good roads are being constructed and there
is now a first-class turnpike to City Point on the Green Bay
railroad, Pittsville and Lynn on the C. M. & St. P. and Granton and
Neillsville on the Omaha railroad.
There are lumber, lath and shingle mills in the town where the
settler can buy or have prepared material for building. The town is
well supplied with schoolhouses and has a fine town hall where
religious and other public meetings are held. There are two post
offices in the town, namely Dewhurst and Nevins, supplied by a stage
line from City Point. In 1895 the population was 182 and in 1900 it
had increased to 231 with settlers constantly coming in. Land in
this town is comparatively reasonable in price. The present town
officers are as follows: Chairman, Robert Sparks; Town Clerk, Byron
Pickering; Treasurer, J. Jacobson and Assessor, G. Maxfield.
Clark County Press,