Clark County, Wisconsin
From Forest to
Farm (Dewhurst, Levis, Sherwood & Washburn Townships); provided
by "The Jailhouse Museum".
Perkins, Clark Co., Wis.--A civil town in Clark Co., created
8 Jan. 1874. Name changed to Sherwood Forest, 24 Aug. 1876.
(Source: Harrsch, Patricia G. Civil Towns of Wisconsin (Madison:
State Historical Society of Wisconsin Library, 1998)
(contains lots of Sherwood History);
History (Excerpt from "The
Clark Co. Fair Centennial" 1872-1972).
Sherwood Township Military Roster
Nevins, Clark Co., Wis. Post Office,
Established 28 November 1879
History of Sherwood Township, Clark County, Wisconsin.
1905 Sherwood Township Plat
Map--John Fredlund; Fr. Kospamp; F. Scharf; H. Goddard; J. L.
Gates; Ed Thorseson, J. Jacobson; Dewhurst School & Post Office.
1905 Map of Brook, Sherwood Twp.
& Contributed by Janet Schwarze)
The Village of Brook was centrally located
in Sherwood Township.
This 1905 Map shows the community which consisted of a town hall, 2
stores and a creamery.
in Sherwood Township, has a store, a cheese factory, a town hall, a
church and a school.
1918 History of Clark Co., Wisconsin
1873 SHERWOOD TOWNSHIP is located near the
southeastern corner of the county, and consists of a tract of six
miles square, which is described as town twenty three, north of
range one east. The tract of land included within the present
boundaries of this town, and the towns of Washburn and Levis was
divided in 1873, by an act of legislature. The four townships were
separated into three towns, giving the town of Levis two townships
and Sherwood Forest and Washburn one township each.
Sherwood town records show the first meeting of the township
(created in 1874) was held in the home of William W. LaFlesh,
William LaFlesh apparently lived at the homestead of his brother
who spent a great deal of time in Neillsville (on the Cawley Farm).
Like Thomas, William was also a Civil War veteran. He was
Sherwood’s first town chairman and editor of a Neillsville newspaper
in the early 1870s. Sherwood’s original name was Perkins, but
apparently Tom and his wife Elizabeth suggested the name change to
August 1876--Last Thursday’s petition was presented to the County
Board, signed by citizens of the Town of Perkins, praying that the
name of that town be changed to “Sherwood Forest.” The petition was
granted and the Town of Perkins is known no more by that name.
Clark County Press
1905 Wisconsin State
Census (Sherwood Township)
John L Sullivan, a former resident of
Jackson County, after whom the town of Sullivan was named, now
resides in Clark County. The Journal is pleased to note that
continued prosperity of the distinguished recipient of the “Sullivan
Letter” owns a hub and spoke factory in the town of Sherwood Forest,
Clark County and has the foundation for a little city. He has named
it Dewhurst in honor of Judge Richard Dewhurst of Neillsville. A
fine vein of iron ore has been found near there and Mr. Sullivan
expects to realize a handsome little fortune from it as soon as
developed. A representative of the Journal had the pleasure of
meeting him in Merrillan the other day and was pleased to learn that
he still retained a warm feeling for Black River Falls. As soon as
John attains a modest competence he intends to return and live with
us again. His breast still swells in remembrance of scenes that
surround our little city. Jackson County Journal, Jan., 1887.
"The town board decided to let the building of the
town hall to Byron Pickering in
conformity to specifications thereof for the sum of $525.00.” The
building was finished and inspected on December 15, 1891.
Dewhurst (Population 25)--Is a newly established postoffice in
Sherwood Forest Township, Clark County, Wis., about 19 miles from
Neillsville and 10 from Lynn on the Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul
Railway. Turner's Hand Book and Gazetter of Wisconsin by Laura J.
Truner, Paul Samuel Reinsch, 1898
Nevins--Is a country postoffice on the east fork of the Black River,
in Sherwood Township, Clark County, 7 miles south of Lynn, on the
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, its nearest railroad station.
It has a tri-weekly mail. Turner's Hand Book and Gazetter of Wisconsin by Laura J.
Truner, Paul Samuel Reinsch, 1898
1902 Nevins, Wis. Post Mark
DEWHURST & BROOKS
Dewhurst and Brooks are the names of little settlements in the town
of Sherwood, in the extreme southeast corner of the county. The
store at Brooks burned down recently but will be rebuilt at once.
1915 History of Clark Co., Wis.
September 1949, Authority
to establish approximately 25,000 acres of deer refuges, during the
coming deer season on land owned by Clark County, is being sought
from the State Conservation Commission. The areas on which
commission approval is sought are located in Sherwood, Washburn,
Dewhurst, Mentor, Butler and two small areas in Foster, as stated by
Warden Carl Frick. These areas would provide a considerable refuge
area during the antlerless season ahead. Clark County Press
Changing the township name
from Perkins to Sherwood
Being an early pioneer of Clark Co, WI
the township of what is now Sherwood, Clark Co. WI was originally named Perkins
after Daniel Chapman Perkins and his son, Hugh, at a meeting of the county board
held in April 1874 after a order by the county board on 8 January 1874.
In 1884 Hugh Perkins became involved in
an altercation with one Isaac Meddaugh, a resident of the town, at the sawmill
belonging to Perkins, the quarrel resulting in the death of Meddaugh. Perkins
was arrested, charged with murder. In November, 1884, when confined in the Clark
county jail (not the present one) he broke jail and made his escape.
1889, the jury finding him guilty of manslaughter in the second degree. On
appeal to the supreme court this last conviction was reversed, and a new trial
ordered, but nothing further was done with the case.
One version of the town name change is
Not wanting the town named for a convicted murderer, the name Sherwood Forest
was suggested by Gov. C. C. Washburn, who had lands and logging interests in the
town. It was an appropriate name, purely sentimental, but like its ancient
namesake in Notthinghamshire, England, was suggestive of the tradition of Robin
Hood, Little John, Friar Tuck, and Maid Marian.
Another version said
A petition of town citizens to the county board requesting a name change from
Perkins to Sherwood Forest was presented in 1876 and the board accepted it. The
name Sherwood Forest was chosen by resident Elizabeth LaFlesh, wife of Capt.
Thomas LaFlesh, as the area resembled her homeland in England and her literary
It was known as the town of Perkins for a little over two years, when the county
board of supervisors changed its name from Perkins to Sherwood Forest, under
which name is existed for nearly twenty years.
And the last version said
In 1900 Sherwood Forest citizens asking to shorten the name to Sherwood
presented another petition to the county board and their wish was granted
On the 12th of January, 1900, the county board, on the application of the
chairman of the town, changed its name from Sherwood Forest to Forest.
"Three Friends Motorcycle West in 1935"
January 1936, The men working on the WPA projects in the Town of Sherwood and at
Kominsky corners, were instructed not to go back to work on those sites until
the temperature rises. The Sherwood project involves the building of a dam, the
back water having flooded 600 acres of land. The Kominsky project consists of
building fire lanes and clearing away underbrush. Clark County Press
Return to the Sherwood
Twp. Main Page