History: Greenwood, Wisconsin (1909) Greenwood Gleaner 29 Jul 1909)
----Source: 1909 Greenwood History, Originally published by Max C. Baldwin in the Greenwood Gleaner, Enhanced and edited and compiled with various photo collections by Janet & Stan Schwarze. Copyright 2008
1909 Greenwood History
Originally published by Max C. Baldwin in the Greenwood Gleaner
Enhanced and edited and compiled by Janet & Stan Schwarze.
          
Source: Greenwood Gleaner 12/23/1909
Store of Egbert "Edward" T. Burch on Main Street
The handsome and well equipped store of "Ed" T. Burch on Main Street, pictured above, was erected in 1895 by the Greenwood Mercantile and Manufacture Co. with S. P. Jones, F. M. Taylor and E. T. Burch as its officers, and who conducted a general mercantile building until 1902, when its present owner, E. T. Burch, bought out the interests of the parties concerned, taking full possession, and has since conducted a most thriving and praiseworthy business and is one of our most prosperous and respected merchants.
(Picture of Mrs. Frank (Olive Frances) Pfiefer--contact us if you can provide one)
Olive Frances (Carpenter) Pfiefer
Mrs. Frank Pfiefer (Olive Frances Carpenter), whose picture we herewith present to our readers with his issue of the Gleaner, has the distinction of claiming to be the first child born to American parents in what is now called the city of Greenwood.
Francis Carpenter came into the rude shanty of Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Carpenter, July 30, 1857, and married Frank Pfiefer, who was reputed to be one of the finest sausage makers and meat carvers that ever tan a market in Greenwood.
Mr. and Mrs. Pfiefer moved to Shell Lake on the 8th day of July 1904, where they now reside.
Charles Carpenter, father of Mrs. Pfiefer, besides being the first settler in Greenwood proper, was also the first person to venture into the newspaper business in this place. He established the Greenwood Gazette Wednesday, Aug. 6, 1873, which was published semi-monthly, but here was not then enough business and it was later discontinued. The business places then advertising were: S.C. Honeywell, dealer in dry goods, groceries, clothing, drugs, paints and oils, lumber and shingles; Robert Graves, manufacturer of household furniture and repairing; G. C. Andrews, blacksmith; Elias Peterson, maker of boots and shoes; Samuel green, manufacturer of shooting irons and operator of a turn lathe; Joseph Pounder, who ran the Greenwood Restaurant and dealt in confectionery, groceries and canned fruits, and Philip Ramminger, wagon manufacturer.
Source: Greenwood Gleaner 12/30/1909
Arthur M. White's Hardware & Odd Fellows Hall
The handsome brick building pictured above was erected jointly in 1891 by Hercules Lodge, No. 181 I.O.O.F. (Independent Order of Odd Fellows), and Mr. A.M. White, the former building the upper and the latter the lower story, which is a hardware store. April 23, 1894, Mr. John Bryden bought an interest in the store, but in 1896 sold his interest to Mr. White, who has since conducted a most successful hardware business, who is one of our most prosperous and respected businessmen.
Source: Greenwood Gleaner 01/06/1910
Arthur M. and Lillian White
Carl C. Hoehne's Hardware Store
Carl C. Hoehne's Hardware interior, early 1900's
Mr. Carl C. Hoehne is another one of our most successful businessmen, doing, besides a large hardware business, a big trade in engines and all kinds of machinery and farming implements. The store is a handsome brick structure, two stories high, the upper story being made into pretty living rooms, with all modern conveniences, and which is occupied by Mr. Hoehne and his family.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
Become a Clark County History Buff
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,
Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,