Return to Index
After the village of Greenwood was platted and laid out in 1871, Elias Peterson bought the first lot and built the sixth house, in which he conducted a shoe repair shop. Mr. Peterson was born in Norway and learned the shoemaker's trade in that country. On coming to Clark county he located at Neillsville and later came to Greenwood. In 1878 his house and repair shop burned down so he rebuilt, but in the fire of 1885 the building again burned. He rebuilt a second time but did not again work at his trade.
Later, he with his son Pete opened a mercantile establishment in the building where Pete now lives. They remained in the business for many years.
There have been numerous shoe repair shops in the city at different times. Anton Christianson and P. Knopp are perhaps, the best remembered, and were later followed by Joe Mikottis, who built a small shop just north of the city lot. He sold out to Bill Wojikovitch, called for short "Billy Shoe Fix". Frank Kebl conducts the same kind of business in a shop near the "Pure Oil" service station.
FIRST HOUSE IN GREENWOOD
Originally built of hewn logs by Charles W. Carpenter; later sided and used as a store and dwelling by S. Case Honeywell. Bought in 1870 by "Uncle Steve" Andrews. This engraving was made by Walker of New York from illustration in "Greenwood, Hub of Clark County, compiled by members of the Greenwood Woman's Club.
The first merchant here was S. C. Honeywell who kept a small stock of goods in his home--the log house built by C. W. Carpenter. Later he and his son John moved their merchandise into a house across the road about where the Catholic parsonage now stands, later called the Tom Syth building. In 1870 "Chandler and Brown" of Black River Falls rented Honeywell's store for one year and then built and moved into a building on the lot where the Picus store now is.
This they conducted for a time and then sold to M. B. Warner and son who later sold to Jones Bros. and Johnson of Black River Falls. Later owners in succession were Burch and Taylor, E. T. Burch, Arends Bros. and John Arends. Ben Picus now rents the building from J. Arends and conducts a general store there with Billie Rellis as manager. Although not the original store it is on the site of the first building.
In 1885 Hunt and Brown conducted a general merchandise store in the building where William Young now lives. Some years later Mr. Hunt and son Clare ran the business by themselves. It was finally discontinued.
Two Jews once had stores in town. One called, "Cheap John," was located in the building just north of Hunts' store and the other, Mr. Brill, in the Elias Peterson building.
Other general stores were those of Adolph Anderson, in the Rees building, Fred Oelig, in his own building just north of Volk's tailor shop and Frank Klinke in his own building where the North Side Service station now stands.
When Mr. Arends first came to Greenwood he and a Mr. Steffen had a general store in what is now the North Side hall. This was discontinued when Mr. Arends bought out E. T. Burch.
Frankenberg and Fricke, for many years sold dry goods and groceries in what is now the Schiller building. After Mr. Fronkenburg moved away the firm was known as Fricke and Rossman. In time they sold out to the Farmers' Co-Operative company, which later discontinued the business.
The "Big Store", as it was first called, was erected by N. C. Foster after the P. & N. E. railroad was built through Greenwood. It is a large brick building at the end of town and has always been a department store. John Memhardt was the first manager, then Mr. Jacobson, Fer.die Anderson, Frank Hepburn, Howard Hepburn, and at present E. S. Ellingson. It is now called the Farmers' Store and is one of several stores owned by the same company. It employs seven or eight clerks.
At present there are three general stores in town--The Farmers' Store, The New Fair Store and Charles Ludwig's.
There is one grocery store--that of A. J. Allard in the building once known as White's hardware.
The first meat market in Greenwood was that of Huntzicker & Pfeiffer, in the building now occupied by A. D. Lyons" restaurant. Later Pfeiffer moved to the building now used by C. C. Hoehne as a storage place for machinery and hardware stock. Mr. Pf6iffer was an excellent butcher and made better sausage than any other butcher in the country. Being a good singer, also, he led the singing in the Methodist church.
After he left his place was taken by Victor Hendrickson. He and his family lived upstairs for a while and later built and lived in what is now the Catholic school building.
In 1884 Chris Wollenberg conducted a meat market in the building first used by Huntzicker & Pfeiffer. In 1899 he built an up-to-date brick building with a meat market in front and living quarters in the rear. This is now the Central Hotel.
John Stanton for many years ran a meat market in a building on the lot now occupied by Keiner's market.
We now have only two meat markets in town--C. Keiner and Son conducting one and Irwin Leach the other.
In the early days Sam Greene had a gun shop where the Hoehne hardware now stands, and was kept very busy. His shop burned down in the fire of 1885 and soon after that he and his wife left town. I believe this was the only gun shop in the history of Greenwood.
At one time A. S. Eaton had a tin shop in the Schiller building. Old Bue, as he was called, once conducted a tannery, the only one in the history of Greenwood.
This tannery was located in the city limits just south of B. P. Ketchpaw's place. Bue and his family lived in a house just north of the tannery. They tanned hides and made them into mittens, packs, etc. Summers they made ice cream and sold it at the Honeywell store. As the forests became less they did not furnish enough bark to pay for keeping up the business, so about 1876 Bue and his wife with their daughter Iva left Greenwood and moved to Eau Claire.
In 1871 S. C. Honeywell had the first blacksmith shop on the corner east of Ludwig's store. G. C. Andrews assisted him and received seventy-five dollars a month for his work. His family lived in the back room of S. C. Honeywell's warehouse, the building now occupied by Ed Schwarze. In the spring "Uncle George", as everyone called him, bought the corner lot and built the house now occupied by Millie Smith. It was in this house that he and his family lived as long as they were in Greenwood. His wife, Lorinda, loved flowers and had all kinds in her yard with tall hollyhocks along the picket fence. Her yard, with its beautiful flowers, was the show place of the town.
Uncle George built an addition to the blacksmith shop and put in an ox-frame where he shod as many as fifty yoke of oxen in one year. When oxen were to be shod they were led into a stall on purpose for this work. There they were raised in a sling until their feet were off the ground. Then their feet were placed on a board rest and fastened with a clevis to hold them, for they kicked like blazes.
Henry Schwarze, father of Simon Schwarze, our present Marshal, did the carpenter work on Uncle George's shop. About 1878, Uncle Georgre built a new shop, now Ludwig's store. This was a two-story building with lodge rooms above and shop below. He ran the shop for many years. Later it was conducted by John Lucas and son. Finally in 1902 it was-used as a printing office.
In 1912 Noetzels bought the building, made a number of changes in it and ran a general store downstairs, with living quarters upstairs. After a number of years the building was sold to Charles Ludwig, who remodeled it and still runs a general store there.
Later blacksmiths in town were Ira Barr, Fred Woodkey, Len Eastman, William. Rossman, Albert Schwarze and Tony Barr. Schwarze and Barr each conduct a blacksmith shop here now.
A part of Uncle George's original shop was moved from the east to the west side of the street where it still stands and having been remodeled, is used by Charles Pickruhn as a harness shop.
When first moved, P. M. Stevens conducted the same kind of business there. His shop was a gathering place for the men of the community who played pranks on one another and on the proprietor until the place became known as "Little Hell." From the tales the old settlers recount of what went on there the name suited the place very well. And as one man remarked, "The ones gathering in "Little Hell" were a prospective, preparatory class for the greater "Hell" to come. Jack Syth, Claude Carter, Archie Stewart, Bill Hogue, Harry Hogue, Clare Hunt, Otto Behrens, Gene Curnmings, Oll Warner, Ralph Ferneau, Shell Andrews, Frank Pratt, Kin Andrews and many others were in that prospective class. P. M. Stevens was for many years janitor at the Woodman hall. He kept the hall clean and neat and appointed himself as sort of an inspector to see that good order was kept at all dances, funerals, and other gatherings. His brother Jack was janitor at the schoolhouse for many years.
At first there was no regular dentist in Greenwood but persons suffering with toothache, if they wished, could go to "Old Sheldon's" near Longwood and have the tooth removed. He was always found in his bare feet and pulled the tooth with a pair of pliers. This same Sheldon planted many pine trees along the main road near Longwood. The first regular dentist was Dr. Cresswell. After him came Doctors Brown and McIntyre. Our two present dentists are Dr. Thomas, with his office in rooms over the postoffice and Dr. McIntyre, with an office and living quarters in the old Upham house.
The first doctor was similar to the first dentist, not a real doctor with a degree, but very good when he could be found sober. He was commonly called "Old Terry" and stayed at the Begley hotel. Once in 1876 when Frank Zetsche called him, in a hurry he was found, too drunk to be of any use, on a keg behind the Begley saloon making a speech.
There were several good midwives in the community. One, Kate Scott, an Indian woman, who lived near Longwood, and Mrs. E. Eaton who lived in Eaton Town were such. When Will Huntzicker was born Frank Zetsche, who was working for Jake Huntzicker, was sent after Mrs. Eaton. It was a very dark night and he went on horseback across the country behind Schofield's house, following the path through the woods. He crossed the river finding the water so deep that it was necessary to keep his feet up as high as possible to keep them dry. The older pioneers whose doctors came on horseback or in buggies through paths in the woods or over rough corduroy roads must appreciate our present day gravel and concrete roads, automobiles, good doctors and hospitals. The first resident physician in Greenwood was Dr. H. J. Thomas. He and his wife located here about 1876. He was a very successful physician with one peculiarity he was never seen without a flower in his buttonhole.
He was followed by Dr. G. L. Buland. Dr. Buland, while here, married Miss Bertha Mason and built and lived in the house now occupied by H. F. Stabnow. He also built a drug store and office on the lot where the Gullord Pharmacy now stands and conducted them as long as he lived here. In the days when Bulands lived here there were no automobiles and no very good roads. The doctor travelled with a horse and buggy in the summer and a cutter in the winter. His wife was very active in social affairs, church work and the W. C. T. U. Following him came Doctors Conroy, Churchill, Julian and Karl Baker, Hugh Schofield, Frank Kennedy, F. A. Boeckmann, H. A. Schultz, L. P. Gaillardet. At present there are two physicians in town: Doctors Olson and Austin.
The first postmaster in Greenwood was B. F. Brown with his office in Jones Bros. and Johnson's store. In 1881 A. S. Eaton held the office, and after him Horace Weston. In 1889 L. W. Larson became postmaster with his office in what is now the Fred Oelig building. (Dr. Austin's office building). He was followed by H. H. Hartson in the same building. The postoff ice was then changed to the brick addition built onto the old State bank building and is still there. The postmasters there in succession have been: Karl Baker, Charles Varney, Wellen Hartson and R. L. Barnes. Under postmaster Barnes the interior of the postoffice has been changed to make it more convenient for the public. The mail comes in about 8:30 A. M. on a Star route which runs from Neililsville, through Greenwood to Spencer and return in the afternoon about 2:30. Mr. Davey is the present driver. The farmers have the same efficient service--there being five rural routes out of Greenwood with Frank Drake, Erwin Fischer, Elmer Johnson, Fred Behrens, and Don Warner as drivers.
The first boarding house was that of Schofields in Eaton Town. Mrs. Bailey also kept boarders. The first hotel was built in 1870 by W. H. Begley. A part of it is still standing on the lot just north of the North Side hall. This hotel was a large frame building with several parts--additions having been made after building. It was considered among the best hotel in the country. Later, it was conducted by Eugene Cummings and then sold to W. R. Howard and son. Collett Durham built a hotel in the south end of town where the Pines service station now stands. He ran the hotel for awhile and then sold to John Shanks and it was later purchased by Jack Bryden and his wife. They conducted the business for many years. On the death of Mr. Bryden it was sold to Joe Christie. In 1924 the building burned down. Art Johnson then ran a hotel in the former Bowen house for a time but the building was finally sold. At present we have only one hotel in town, that of Mrs., W. H. Howard and son Ray in the old Wollenberg building.
We have three restaurants, those of L. E. Rees, Mrs. 0. C. Behrens and A. D. Lyons. Frank LaBonte also runs a restaurant in connection with his pool-hall. L. E. Rees has the only bakery in town, and L. Berg the only photograph gallery.
In 1906 A. H. Noetzel erected a small glove factory located just back of his home and barber shop which is now the Ed Fahey building. Although his business was prosperous he discontinued it because of the handicap for power, there being no electricity available with which to run the machinery. The building was later made into a residence.
In early days before autos there was a necessity for livery stables. The present Opera House was once a livery stable located where Dr. Austin's home is now. A. S. Armstrong ran a livery stable in the building now Arbs' garage and later in the barn on the lot where he now lives. Chris Brick Julius Dill, Roy Tuttle and old John Stafford were also proprietors of livery stables.
The first automobile in Greenwood was owned by Dr. H. R. Schofield. It looked like a high topped buggy. The first garage was that of Arbs and Buker in the building where Mr. Arbs now conducts his business. Joe Klinke and his brother Ed remodeled their father's store into a garage and filling station which they ran until it was destroyed by fire. Mr. Guptill then bought the lot, built a filling station and conducted it until 1926 when it was purchased by H. L. Flatz. George Speich has a garage and Ford agency in a brick building built onto the postoffice. Mr. Clute built an addition to the building just south of Lyons' restaurant. His son, Leon, ran a garage there for a number of years. Adolph Schwarze then purchased the building and ran the business until a few years ago. The business is now conducted by Howard Corey, who also sells Chevrolet cars. There are three service stations in town, "The Pines" owned by Harold Stabnow where the Bryden hotel once stood; the Pure Oil station built and run by A. H. Noetzel for a number of years, but now owned by Chet Shields and located just north of the German Reformed church; and the Northside Service station owned by H. L. Flatz.
There are three bulk stations and oil routes: the Pure Oil with Ole Dale, driver; the Standard Oil --Odin Wang, driver, and Wadhams with "Billie" Steiger, driver.
In accordance with the "New Deal" there are three taverns in town, Eben Ketchpaws'; Frank LaBonte's and Lynn Enocksons'.
We have two real estate offices, those of C. H. Clute and Palmer Vinger.
There is one lumber yard, the 0. & N., with Hiley Pratt, manager.
E. J. Crane & Sons' company, with Lawrence (Nubby) Cox, manager and New Richmond Roller Mills Company with 0. J. Amundson, manager, sell flour, feed, seed and hay and do grinding. J. J. Jones for a number of years had a sash and door factory across the street from the O. & N.Lumber company. Since the death of Mr. Jones the business is conducted by Louis Stoneburg.
There is one cheese factory in town near the Rock Creek bridge which, for a long time was run by Arnold Beyer but is now owned and operated by Theodore Mech. Mr. Mech has improved the place, especially the yard and, as a result has won two prizes.
Five men deliver milk and cream: J. Brauneis, Sr., Wm. Hogue, J. A. Stafford, C. A. Afkind, Peter Verhulst.
The first furniture and undertaking business was that of Abner Bailey and his son Dorrie in the building now occupied by Lawrence Berg, photographer. G. W. Bishop has for many years conducted the same kind of business in the building where be lives just north of the Farmer's Store. His was the only one of its kind in town until a few years ago when Wm,. Schiller fro-m Neillsville with his brother, T. P. Schiller, opened a branch in the old Fricke building. The business is managed by T. F. Schiller.
For a number of years Clarence Greene had a plumbing business in the brick building just north of Bishops. He sold out to Westeott, who still conducts the place.
In 1887 D. Justice and H. H. Hartson conducted a hardware store in the building north of Hunts.
Finally they dissolved partnership and Mr. Justice bought the hardware business of his brother-in-law, E. Crocker, who had built the present C. C. Hoehne store. Mr. Justice sold to Mr. Donaldson who was assisted by Eddie Carpenter. After changing hands several times Mr. Hoehne bought the store and still runs it with the help of his sons. A. M. White built a hardware store with lodge rooms above. He ran a successful business here for a great many years but finally sold his stock of goods. The building was sold to John Drummond. Mr. Drummond started a grocery store there which he conducted for a time and then sold to A. J. Allard who is still in business.
The only variety store is that of A. H. Noetzel who erected his own brick building and began business about three years ago.
Recently a "Beauty" parlor was started by Lucille Prock in the Ed Fahey building.
Hank Johnson's first barber shop was a unique one being a cart on wheels which he moved from place to place. Later, he located in the building where Louie Brown now is and ran a confectionery shop in connection. This barber shop changed hands many times. It is now owned and run by Louis Brown. Mr. Noetzel, on first coming to Greenwood, built what is now the Ed Fahey building and ran a barber shop. In the 90's Charles Tripp had a shop in what is now an addition to Hoehne's Hardware store. The re are now four barber shops in Greenwood: C. Perkins', John Meng's, Louis Brown's and Leo Albright's.
The first dressmaker was Mrs. Bailey who lived in Eaton Town. Next Mrs. Frank Brown-both were assisted by Miss Mary Hommel, later Mrs. Mary Warner. For many years Mrs. N. J. Cartei, did dressmaking at her millinery parlors. Hannah Honeywell, assisted by Rose Miller, did dressmaking here for a long time. Other dressmakers were Rebecca Randall, Mrs. Noetzel, Pearl Weast and Mrs. Marden. We now have no regular dressmaking shop but several. persons do sewing for others.
There has never been but one tailor shop here, the one conducted by by J. Volk and his brothers Val and William. This shop was first in the house where Mrs. J. Volk now lives and later in the old Thompson jewelry store building. They remodeled this building into an up-to-date tailor shop. Since the death of the two brothers Val conducts the business alone.
The first millinery store in town was that of Miss, Bertha Mason, later Mrs. G. L. Buland, who brought hats from Neillsville to sell here. Daisy Sheets Dawes built the building just south of Leach's market and conducted a small store having a stock of supplies for ladies, including hats. Later, her mother, Mrs. E. K. Sheets, had a millinery store there. Mrs. N. J. Carter since early in the history of Greenwood has had a millinery shop in the building just south of Schiller's store. Her building has been remodeled and added to and her yard with its pretty lawn, flower-beds and birdhouses is one of the attractions of the town. She has the only millinery store at present, although most of the general stores sell hats.
Mr. Moss, who came from Knapp, Wisconsin, opened the first jewelry store Here in the north half of the Peterson shoe shop. One of the first jewelry stores was that of E. H. Thompson, located where Volk's tailor shop now is. He remained in business here for many years. The jewelry department in the "Big Store" when it was first built was conducted by Mr. McCormick. He was very well known throughout the country. We now have three jewelry and watch repair shops: Mr. Marden's, Mr. Vesells and Mr. Miklautz.
There are two farm, implement stores, that of Ed Schwarze in the old Honeywell warehouse building and one owned and run by Albert and Adolph Schwdrze where Dr. Thomas first had his office.
The first photographers in town were Ralph Hall, Miss Larson, R. Bowerman, Mr. Krause, C. H. Lock, Oscar Horn, Carl Shoemiaker; and Mr. Dake very early. There is now only one, Mr. Berg's, located in the old Bailey building.
At one time Steinert brothers had a cigar factory where Rees' bakery now is. They remained in business here only a short time.
The first Opera House was Begley's, now the North Side hall. This was a large frame building with stage, excellent scenery, dressing rooms and a good dancing floor. It is still standing and is used occasionally for basketball games or dances. The present Opera House was first a livery stable and is now not far removed from its first site. At one time it was moved to where the Pines Service station stands. After the "Woodmen" bought it they had it moved to its present location. They made it larger, put in a new floor and stage and used it for all community gatherings. O. A. Hiles-- now owns it and runs moving picture shows there. It is still used for dances and other community affairs.
The first wagon shop was that of Phillip Ramanger, located where the North Side Service station is. He did a great deal of business. Later, H. Leroy had the same kind of business in the building occupied by Wm. Marden. P. Smith then purchased the business and ran it for a number of years. It was then discontinued. Mr. Raymond once conducted the same kind of shop in what is now the North Side hall. There is no business of this kind in Greenwood now.
At one time William Dawes had a shoe factory in a building across the street from Mrs. Volk's residence. It did not pay and so was discontinued but enough leather was left in the building to supply all the boys in town with slingshots.
In the early days there was no veterinary here although Carl Richelieu, who lived east of town, helped out when needed. Later there were several, best known being Doctors Sillick and Currie. Dr. Currie is the only veterinary here now.
One of the first musicians and music teachers was Mrs. Robert Schofield. She gave -music lessons and at one time conducted a large singing class. Through her efforts and under her direction several cantatas were given in the old Begley Opera House. Mrs. Clare Hunt, Miss Imig and Miss McMillan were also well remembered music teachers. Miss Mabel M. Bishop is a very able musician, a graduate of the Chicago Musical College where she studied under Rudolph Ganz and for two years was President of the National Association of Dunning Teachers.
Greenwood's first newspaper was a little folder about eight by ten inches. It was called "Greenwood Gazette" and was owned and edited by C. W. Carpenter. Mr. Carpenter was an experienced and educated man. Owing to the limited population at that time the experiment was soon ended. In 1889 the "Greenwood Headlite" was published. The locals were collected by Hank Johnson and the paper was printed at Neillsville. In 1891 W. H. Spears brought the first printing press to Greenwood and with George Begley started the "Greenwood Gleaner". Later editors have been H. H. Hartson, (1892-1898); J. E. Noyes, and'again H. H. Hartson. In 1916 William, P. Neuenfeldt purchased it and in 1922 John O'Connell became part owner and now in 1934 they still own and edit it. Their office is located just west of Shield's Service station.
The first library was started by the W. C. T. U. as a
circulating library. They placed a tent over the basement of the L. W.
Larson home, which burned in the fire of 1885, and gave a big dinner there.
Each person was asked to give a book. In 1887 they gave a social and purchased
more books with the money made. Finally memberships were sold--each person
giving a book or the purchase price of one, became a member. This circulating
library was kept in Buland's drug store. The books were burned in the fire
which destroyed the F. Pfunder drug store. Today, in Greenwood, we have
a well equipped and up-to-date library; located in the City hall. The first
meeting, for the purpose of establishing a library, was at the home of
Mrs. Will Palms on January 22, 1913. The officers elected were: President,
Dr. Kennedy; Vice President, Mrs. Wm. Palms and Secretary, Allie Williams.
Arrangements were made to use a room in the Farmers and Merchants bank
building for the library. Ward Raymond built sectional bookcases, the lumber
used being donated by the Greenwood Heading and Lumber company. Mrs. Ed
Wollenberg was appointed chairman of a committee to look after the affairs
of the library until the city took it over, which was May 6, 1913. The
first library board was appointed May 7, 1913 consisting of Mrs. E. Wollenberg,
president; Mr. Jaastad, vice-president; Edith Varney, secretary-treasurer
and librarian. In July 1913, the library was moved to Volk's hall. Money
for maintenance of this library was first raised through a movie, a tag-day,
teas, and donations of books. Early librarians were, Mrs. Ida Thompson,
Mrs. Gelia Thomas and Mrs. John Stanton. There are 3,545 volumes in the
library besides seventeen magazines and two newspapers taken by yearly
subscription. For the last two years the "Woman's Club" has made a donation
each year. The library board at present consists of Mrs. G. Heilman, Mrs.
H. Corey, Rev. E. G. Pfeiffer, Dr. J. R. Thoms, Mrs.
J. Arends and Miss Irene O'Connell. Mrs. J. S. Andrews has been the librarian continuously since 1919 holding a grade four, state, certificate. Persons in rural districts are allowed to borrow books and that the library is very much appreciated is shown by the fact that 21,760 volumes were loaned in 1933 besides many magazines.
The first bank in Greenwood was the Greenwood State bank organized July 30, 1891 and opened October 19, 1891 with a capital stock of $25,000 by Joseph Gibson, Cullen Ayers, Andrew Emerson, J. C. Miller, L. W. Larson, L. W. Gibson, W. H. Begley, Louisa Withee, G. L. Buland, W. H. Hilton, John Stewart, Nels Johansen, Henry Thielen, James Bryden, H. M. Hunt, William, Johnson, W. H. Bryden, E. J. Herrell and Lorenzo Sperbeck. The bank building which still stands on the corner of Main and Division Streets is of solid brick and was well equipped with vaults. L. Sperbeek was the first cashier, R. Sperbeek was the second, from July 1901, to July 1904. J. B. Stair was then cashier for two years. He was succeeded by Ed Wollenberg, who held the position until the bank closed some years ago.
The Farmers and Merchants bank was incorporated in 1912 by C. H. Clute, John Stanton, H. E. Schofield, Charles Cornelius, H. P. Stabnow, R. Schofield, John Arends, Robert Huntzicker, E. J. Rossman and John Huntzicker. It was opened for business October 12, 1912 in its own building erected that year, of cement block construction, on its present site. At that time E. R. Brown was elected cashier. In November 1916 L. E. Bopp was cashier. He was succeeded by A. C. Buker, who still retains the position.
The first drug store was kept by Dr. Thomas in 1886 in the building where he had his office. Dr. Buland built a drug store on the site where Gullords pharmacy now is. After he left Conroys and others ran it, and later F. Pfunder. While Mr. Pfunder was in business the building was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt and run by Dr. Schofield until purchased by Mr. Gullord.
Herman Schwarze, now a retired farmer living in the old Dingley home, came to the United States in 1867 and to Greenwood in 1870. He was a blacksmith by trade and a dealer in plows. After locating here in the town of Warner, he worked in the lumber camps as a blacksmith for four or five winters.
In the fall, of 1870 Lige Eaton sold three acres of land to Eaton township for sixty dollars, to be used as a cemetery. As the land had to be cleared of brush and logs Mr. Eaton hired Herman Schwarze, Anthony Larson, Carl Richelieu and Jake and Bill Bonsil to do the work. Since then more land has been bought and added to the cemetery on the south and the Rev. Mr. Hendren gave a strip of land on the east to make it larger. The cemetery lies on a knoll about a quarter of a mile west of the city near the banks of Black River. With its pine trees, pretty shrubs, rosebushes, and beautiful flower beds it is one of the prettiest cemeteries in the country. The first sexton was John Booth others were Bill Hogue, Ed Fahey, Sid Cox and at present John Paulley. There was already one grave on the land when it was bought for a cemetery, that of Mrs. Charlotte Honeywell who died April 4, 1870. She expressed the wish to be buried on the knoll near Black River and her relatives carried out her wish. There are two stones in the cemetery with earlier dates, but no one is buried under them. These stones were for two Sheldon children who died and were buried in the Hackett field (Stoller's). Later the father purchased headstones and wanted to move the bodies of the children but the graves could not be located, so the stones were set up in the cemetery here anyway. The cemetery was first under the supervision of the town officers and is now under the control of the Cemetery Association which has a charter from the state. The city had no deed until the association was formed, when Al Armstrong went to the town officers and obtained the deed. If the association ever stops functioning the title will revert to the city. The present officers are Charles Varney, president; Mrs. H. H. Hartson, secretary, and Mrs. A. S. Armstrong, treasurer. By paying the sum of fifty dollars, one is assured of the perpetual care of one's lot, otherwise the fee is one dollar and fifty cents a year. This is a wonderful opportunity for those who have moved away and otherwise would have no way of knowing that their lots were taken care of. There is now a large sum on hand for perpetual care and this is loaned to the city.
In the early days of Greenwood's settlement the people were all young, full of health and hope and enjoyed everything to its fullest extent, so it did not take much in the way of amusement to satisfy them. The books and periodicals from the east and their first church in the wilds of northern Wisconsin meant much to them. They had many community gatherings, such as taffy pulls, quilting parties and logging bees. The dances to which they went on horseback or in carts drawn by oxen were looked forward to with much excitement. In 1866, Mrs. Eaton and Mrs. Honeywell with their daughters were the only women from this community to attend. The first dances were held at George Huntzickers, south of Greenwood. For music they had one fiddle played by Tom Syth. Later, dances were held upstairs in the Icicle Saloon. After this burned down in 1885 they danced over Horace Weston's store with Bob Shanks, first fiddle, Bill Mead, second fiddle, Frank Carter, bass viol, and Dave Shanks to call off, square dances then being very popular. In later years after the fire department was organized the "Fireman's" dance was one of the events of the year with Harry Mead and his wife as leaders of the old time dances. At these dances, held in the Woodman hall, oyster suppers were served by the "Firemen" themselves, all dressed up in white aprons. In 1907 with the idea of enlivening Greenwood socially A. H. Noetzel and Pete Peterson started a subscription paper for a series of ten club dances. The idea proved popular and by the end of the week the series was guaranteed. The Woodman Hall had just been remodeled and enlarged and furnished a good place to dance. The home orchestra furnished the music and tickets were, fifty cents a couple. The subscribers met at the home of C. H. Clute--fifteen being present. The first dance was held on Friday, January 11, 1907. As the paper at that time stated the names appearing on the committee were an evidence of the respectability and standing of the movement and anyone of good moral standing was allowed to join. Club dances were then popular for a number of years. We still have numerous dances but no moral qualifications are required for those attending but we do have a dance inspector who is supposed to keep order.
Skating on Black river near the bridge and sliding on the hill east of the bridge were both considered great sport. Almost the whole town went skating. Shinny and cross tag were played on the ice. A. M. White, Val Volk and Pete Brick were considered the best skaters. The hill was much steeper than now as it has been graded down several times. The big boys made "bumps" in the road and iced them, adding much to the excitement of sliding. Large bobs were sometimes used steered by a boy on a small sled. Accidents sometimes happened but none of a serious nature until Baxter Marvin, while steering, ran into a fence and broke a leg. After that the use of bobs was forbidden. The children of the town now have a very good and safe sliding place on Barr's hill.
"Christmas Trees" in churches and schools with their attending programs and distribution of gifts were once events of the year. In older days, the trees were lighted with candles and there was usually a Santa Claus to distribute the gifts taken there by parents and others. Now we have electric lights, for the trees, making it much safer but seldom does Santa Claus appear at these gatherings.
For many years Greenwood has had a band and band concerts
with programs of singing and speaking were held in the Woodman Hall. The
first band had for its members: Pete Stevens, Dave Shanks, Jack Smith,
Babb Syth, Tom Syth, Dick Stoker, Peter Klein, Peter Peterson and Ed Parker.
The first director was Mr. Neiman from Neillsville and later Mr. Luder
who lived about one mile east of what is now Schilling station cheese factory.
About the last time this old band played was for a Fourth
of July celebration. It had been advertised that a negro band frorn Marshfield would take a part in the celebration. The members of this band dressed, blackened to look like negroes and boarded the Soo line train at the "big cut" which is east of town. When they arrived at the depot they were met by a, delegation which escorted them into the city. Many were deceived for some time and it caused much merriment when they were found out.
. At one time there was a "Fife and Drum Corps" in town consisting of George Begley, fife; Frank Carter, snare drum; and Pete Stevens, bass drum. The band best remembered by most of us was organized April 26, 1895. This was under the leadership of John Judge for many years. The greatest number of members at any one time, was thirty-three. The only two members of this band now living in town are Val Volk and Claude Carter. We have no regular band now but when old members get together for practice they are directed by Val Volk. The high school band was started in 1929 by John Judge. From 1931 to 1933 it was under the leadership of Lee Matthews. It is now directed by B. VanHollen who will remain in town this summer and conduct the band during the vacation period. Our city band stand is on the city lot.
At one time the lodges of the town were very flourishing and their social hours after lodge were well attended. The first lodges were the Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen, Rebekahs, Royal Neighbors G. A. R. and 1. 0. G. T. In 1907 the following lodges advertised installations: G. A. R., Royal Neighbors, Eastern Star, Lady Maccabees, Knights of the Maccabees, Beavers, Beaver Queens, Odd Fellows, Rebekahs, Equitable Fraternal Union and Masons. We still have several orders organized in town and in addition the American Legion, Legion Auxiliary and Woman's Club.
The church societies with their sales and suppers were always and still are very active. At first we had the "Kings Daughters" of the Baptist church, the "Thursday Club" of the Presbyterian church and "St. Mary's" Aid. We now have a Methodist Aid, German Reformed, Norwegian, Trinity Lutheran and St. Ann's society.
Carnivals and Fourth of July celebrations used to be held once a year. Decoration Day was always looked forward to with a program in the hall. The G. A. R., the band and the schoolchildren always marched to the cemetery where the children decorated the graves of the soldiers. At first the programs were held in the Begley, Opera House and "Uncle George" Andrews always made the speech. Those of later days are held in the Greenwood Opera House. The old soldiers of the Civil war marched in the procession year after year until only one was left. When he became too old to carry the flag, John Arends, a veteran of the Spanish-American war, carried it for him The G. A. R. once held a reunion at the school grounds which lasted for three days. The soldiers ate and slept in tents, made speeches, sang war songs, and told of their experiences in the war. Some of the well known members of the G. A. R. were: A. S. Eaton, George Meek, F. M. Carter, R. D. Hommel, F. G. Hartson, Larry Drinkwine, C. H. Cummings, J. E. Crane, Frank Abel, T. R. Vine, Carl Richelieu, Henry Decker, William Oelig, Joseph Gibson, Chris Wollenberg, Moses Babb', John Sanford, August Nagel, M. W. Varney, J. A. McCarty, C. W. Chandler, Joseph Palmer, F G. Sheldon, Paul Rossman, Paschal Wallis and John Booth. There are no Civil war veterans left in this community but the only Spanish-American veteran and the young soldiers of the World's war now march in the procession on Decoration Day, the school children And the band still take part--old band members usually returning for the occasion. Last year, for the first time, the high school band took part and last Decoration Day a reunion for old band members and old settlers was held on Mrs. Burch's lawn. It was well attended and much enjoyed by all present.
Card playing is another amusement very popular at the present time. The ladies of the community have organized several card clubs namely Schafskopf, Suffragettes, Merry-Go-Round, Interse, and the Bridge Club. Different organizations give public card parties as a means of raising money. The men at present are much interested in playing "Skat" and almost every week a "Skat" tournament is held in the Legion hall.
In 1871 there were three log houses and two frame houses
in Greenwood. In 1886 there were two dry goods stores, two meat markets,
one drug store, one hardware store, one post office and one furniture store.
We had no bank, no dentist, no bakery, telephone exchange, creamery, water
system, or library, few good roads but many enterprising citizens. Now
in 1934 we find an up-to-date progressive little city with a population
of about six hundred and fifty. Still with many enterprising citizens but
in addition, electric lights, running water, fire department, sewerage
system, concrete walks, paved main street, a public library, an up-to-date
school with play ground equipment and two good tennis courts, a beautiful
cemetery, bank telephone service, and a park at the dam equipped with swings,
slides and merry-go-rounds for the children and tables and benches for
those wishing to eat their lunches there. There is a stand where pop and
ice cream may be purchased. The chief attraction there is the good swimming
place in the river. Mr. Harry Hogue looks after the park and those in swimming.
So, as Mrs. Buland remarked when she visited here this last summer, after
an absence of forty years; "Time has brought changes, not so much in the
citizens themselves as in their way of doing things. I find the Greenwood
of long ago very modern but still the kindly, genuine hospitable place that
welcomed us in 1885."
Like a landmark on a prairie,
Standing up so straight and high,
The eagle in the sunlight shinning
Like the stars shine in the sky.
Each spring, as the ice piles high,
I oft times see, in my minds' eye
Scenes from those days of yore
With men at work-a rivers roar-
As on their way--great logs float by!
Under the pines and the fir trees,
These white marble monuments stand,
Marking the final resting place
Of those gone, to a better land.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
Become a Clark County History Buff
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,
Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,