History: Greenwood, Wis., Opera House
Surnames: Begley, Hiles, Austin
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner, Greenwood, Clark Co., Wisconsin
The Greenwood Opera House
Greenwood, Eaton Twp., Clark Co., Wisconsin
The first Opera House in Greenwood was Begley's which later became known as the North Side hall. This was a large frame building with stage, excellent scenery, dressing rooms and a good dancing floor on the property which was later owned by Dr. W. T. Austin. Later, that building was used occasionally for basketball games or dances. The Greenwood Opera House was first a livery stable and was removed to a new location, not far from the first site. After the "Modern Woodmen" bought it, they had it moved to where the Pines Service station later stood. They made it larger, put in a new floor and stage and used it for all community gatherings. Eventually, O. A. Hiles owned it and showed moving pictures in it. In its final years, it was still used for dances and other community affairs.
Weddings: Stiefvater, Hildegarde (1925)
Page    
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
Become a Clark County History Buff
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,
Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,