View the Original
Schools of Levis Township, Clark Co.,
school district #1 was located in sec. 1 (1914
& 1915 maps = Remus land, Buddenhagen land in 1930) served both Levis and Washburn townships: Carlyle
School closed in 1941, sold and moved about 1959, highway
73 runs through the site now.
(Prior to the Carlyle school in sec 1 there was a school
in sec 2 on the Geo. Adams land per 1880 map, it is
not shown on 1893 map)
Gladys Neff Sept-Nov 1904; Ethel Carter Kuhn
1909; Lillian Ehlers 1927-32; Eleanor Kissling
1933-34; Eleanor Kuechenmeister 1934-35; Gertrude
Bartz 1935-38; Marvelene Duge 1938-39;
Elaine Pietenpol 1939-40; Gertrude S. Reams
1953-54; Mrs. Dale West
1953-1956; Mrs. Doug Hantke, V. Warek,
P. Opelt, L. Schultz 1956-1957; Mrs. Gary
Northrup, V. Warek, P. Opelt, D.
Kalina; Mrs. Gary Northup, V. Warek,
P. Opelt, D. Kalina 1957-1958; Mrs. Florence
Connors, V. Warek, P. Opelt, D.
Kalina 1958-1959; Mrs. Art Kevars, V.
Warek, P. Opelt, D. Kalina 1959-1960; Mrs. J.
Richmond, V. Warek, P. Opelt, D.
1904 about 15 students including Charles Neff; Theron
& Ruth Crockett; Hattie & Clara Wilke.
about 21 students including Theron, Avis, Clifford,
Ruth & Ella Crockett; Mable, Oscar & Walter
Keller; Mary, Josephine & George Vasko;
Dorothy, Bennie, Henry & Ethel Dahnert; Otto
& Helmuth Schultz; Orin Hanks; Adolph
Ziegler; Arnold, Clara & Hattie Wilke;
Emily Frie. 1953-54
about 20 students including Malcom Jahr; June,
Gilbert, Bruce & Edgar Crockett; Bonnie Kaczor;
Irene & Walter Wucki; David, Marilyn & Kenneth
Meier; Sharon Anderson; Shirley Havlicek;
Janice & Kenneth Lindow; Carol Horehled;
George Ulrich; Patricia Poelzel; Celieta
History & Photos
Levis school district #2 located in sec. 18, served
both Levis and Dewhurst townships:
(not on 1880 map, 1893 map = RRI land, Schultz land
in 1914 and 1930)
June 1868: “The people of school district #2 are
proud of their new school house built by Orson Cornwell.
Miss Mary Wood started teaching there last Monday.”
August 1889 newspaper: “F. Rundle completed the stone
foundation under Dells Dam school.” Prior to 1889
there was another school for district #2 located on
the west side of Black River in sec 18, Edith Fessenden
and John Johnson
who married on Nov 20, 1892, attended school together
there, walked across the frozen river in the winter.
Dells Dam School closed in May 1961 and the students
were then bussed to the new Pine View school located
in Levis sec 9.
Mary Wood 1868; Elizabeth Quinnell & Mrs.
Donald Crothers 1912; Emma Ruege 1915;
Gladys Selves 1927-28; Orvilla Selves
1929-32; Marion Huntley 1933-35; Ethel Walker
1935-36; Minerva Davis 1936-38; Minerva Viergutz
1938-39; Angeline Perushek 1939-46; Marjorie
Pietenpol Trewartha 1946-47; Mrs. Myra
Kuehling 1947-51; Mrs. Bethel Webster
1951-52; Mrs. Ellen Palmer 1952-53; Mrs. Bernice
Swartling 1953-58; Virginia Gunia 1958-59;
Mrs. Bernice Swartling 1959-60; Mrs. Joan
about 22 students including Arthur, Helen, Minnie &
Rudolph Ehlers; Richard Walters;
Harry Swallow; Clyde & Vivian Horton;
Ralph & Wilbur True; Robert, Rose, Mildred &
Ethel Anderson; Lewis, Bernice & Leroy Schilling;
Roy Westlund; Clara Nelson; Ferol
Leopold. 1915 about 22 students including Martha, Albert, Harold
& Mabel Waller; Lucy Davis; Gretchen, Clyde &
Vivian Horton; Ethel, Robert & Esther Anderson;
Hazel Schultz; George Rundall; Rose Nelson;
Bernice & Lewis Schilling; Ferol Leopold;
Helen , Rudy, Arthur & Minnie Ehlers; Harold
History & Photos
Dells Dam Sabbath
Levis school district #4
was located in sec. 14.
(Jasensky land in 1906, Petera land in 1914, Strupp
land, Richmond land in 1930.)
(Previously called “Lincoln”
when it was a log schoolhouse, not on 1880 map, sec
11 per 1893 map, Ry. Co. land.
Meadow View was built in November 1900. Republican
Press news articles: Oct. 11, 1900 “John Carter was
down Sunday looking over the place where he is going
to build a school house for school dist #4 town of Levis.”
Oct. 25, 1900: “C. Robinson is laying the stone wall
for the new school house.” Nov. 22, 1900 “John
Carter came back Wed to his work on the school house
after a week’s absence.” Nov. 29, 1900:
“John Carter has completed the new school house in dist
#4 town of Levis. Miss Mary Mason closed a successful
term of school Friday. Miss Mary Mason will teach
the winter term beginning Dec 17.” Dec 20, 1900:
“Mary Mason has begun teaching at the new school house
in Levis.” Jan 10, 1901: “R. Satterlee
has been delivering wood at the new school house the
past week.” May 30, 1901: “The old school site
that belonged to district #4 was sold Saturday to R.W.
Canfield.”) Meadow View closed in May 1961,
sold to Herbert and Eleanor Schoenherr for $777.00 in
Jan. 1962. Students were bussed to the new Pine
View school starting with the 1961-62 school year.
Arthur McCray 1895-96; Musa West & Mary
Mason 1900-01; Ruth Withers 1901-02; Clara
Henderson & Celia Tyler 1902-03; Mable
Tyler 1903-04; Helen Holmes 1904-05; Mabel
Tyler 1905-06; Lola Neff 1906-07; Mabel
Tyler 1907-09; Effie Alt 1909-13; Effie
Rowe 1913-15; Lulu Richmond 1915-16; Lulu
Kleinschmidt 1916-17; Berdine Redmond Kuhn
1917-18; Clara Wilke 1918-19; Ina Johnson
1919-20; Katherine Bunkleman 1920-21; Percy
Hallock 1921-23; Adelaide Nason 1923-24;
Emma Boson 1924-28; Marjory Morgan 1928-30;
Lovella Dietrich Bolster 1930-31; Marjory
Morgan 1931-34; LeNore Bartz 1934-37; Ethyl
Walker 1937-40; Ethyl Vandeberg 1940-42;
Marie Short 1942-44; Emma Furlong Hoepner
1944-46; Esther Ferguson 1946-49; Mrs. Dale (Genevieve
Thurber) West 1949-56; Mrs. Doug Hantke
1956-57; Mrs. Gary Northup 1957-58; Mrs. Florence
Connors 1958-59; Mrs. Art Meyers 1959-60;
Mrs. J. Richmond 1960-61.
1901-02 = 60; 1902-03 = 56; 1903-04 = 48; 1904-05 =
45; 1905-06 = 43; 1906-07 = 38; 1907-08 = 63; 1908-09
= 69; 1910-11 = 29; 1911-13 = 32; 1913-14 = 30; 1914-15
= 42; 1915-16 = 44; 1922-23 = 50; 1923-24 = 41; 1940-41
= 18; 1943-44 = 26; 1949-50 = 37; 1952-53 = 41; 1953-54
= 41; 1955-56 = 31; 1960-61 = 25.
1896 = about 31 students including Albert, Adolph, Robert
& Lena Meier; Max Lipke.
students include Anna, Frank, Louis, Lillian, Rose,
Ladd, Charles & James Matousek; Harold King;
Lillian, Joe & Lotti Ignatz; George & Ervin
Holub; Viva, Hilda, Hugh & David Phillips;
Viola & Frieda Rath; Ella, Emma, Blanche & Bessie
Adamec; Anna & Louis Tichy; Roland
Johnson; Mary, Rose, Charles & Sadie Cernik;
Helen & Marie Krumpeck; Else & Willie Genteman;
Dora & Irene Pettera; Joe Struensee; Gladys
& John Sebesta; Sophie, Stella & Peter Zemba;
John & Helen Stankiewicz; Lillian Kaddatz;
Marvin Lueck; Harold Meier; Ladd Shramek.
Meadow View School
Photos & Memories
Levis school district 1 was located in sec. 4:
(not on 1880 map, 1893 map = B.F. French land, R. Lynch
land per 1914 and 1930 maps)
The original Riverside school was red brick, later replaced
by a wood frame building after 1920, probably about
1936. A school board meeting was held on July
3, 1916 during which it was voted to build a cement
floored 16’ x 20’ x 8’wood shed. On Sept. 21, 1935 the
school board formally took 1 acre for the Riverside
school grounds out of a 41-acre homestead belonging
to the Lynch family.
school closed in May 1961 and the students were then
bused to the new Pine View school starting with the
1961-62 school year.
(Riverside school was sold to Town
of Levis for $1,000 in Jan. 1962, to be used as the
new town hall.)
Hannah Turville 1916-17; Marvel Johnson
1920-21; Leda Filitz 1927-30; Mrs. Otto Liskow
1931-32; Mrs. Lillian Meyer 1933-34; Ione
Schwellenbach 1934-36; Mildred Bartz 1936-38;
Pauline Medicke 1938-39; Mr. Donald Ingham
1939-41; Margaret Beeckler 1941-42; Esther
Ferguson 1943-47; Mrs. Sylvia Kurth 1948-52;
Mrs. Ellen Galster Palmer 1952-55; Paul Pettis
1955-56; Mrs. Marion Ray 1956-58; Velda Levanduski
1958-59; Mrs. Nina Walters 1959-61.
1916-17 about 13 students including Herbet Nickles;
Henry Cummings; Ruth, Ramona & Ben Short;
Mable & Faye Broihier; Martha & Leda Filitz;
Ruth Lichner; Maurice & Agnes Dahl; Oliver
about 12 students including Merton & Walter Lynch;
Ernest & Alfred Dahl; Leda Filitz; Jessie
Bryan; Ruth & Mildred Lichner; Fay & Leona
Broihier; Beverly & Brooks Karl; Vera
& Loal Shumway. 1946-47
about 22 students including Kathleen, Wayne, George,
Dean & John Bryan; Evelyn, Lloyd, Jennie, Dale,
Dorothy & Floyd Opelt; Arlene Kopp; Leo,
Edna & Edith Lindner; Ronald & Darrel Embke;
Robert & Beverly Matousek; James Filitz;
Riverside School Photos
Levis school district # 7 was located in sec. 26:
(not on 1880 or 1893 map, Newbecker land
Rock Creek School closed in 1941.
Lillie Just 1917; Edna Thess 1927-28;
Mrs. Myrl Liskow 1929-30; Iola Gemmeke
1931-32; Florence Laks 1933-36; Elsie Zank
1936-38; Mrs. Caroline Bohac 1938-1940.
about 18 students including Caroline, Frank, Henry,
John & Katherine Sonheim; Rose, Martha & Bill
Smith; Viola, Gertrude, Isabelle & Paul Wesoloski;
Bill Cotroba; Catherine & Charles Schoen;
Frank & Tom Kolar. 1917
about 13 students including Bill, John & Andy Kurasz;
Harold Sindelar; Henry & William Genteman;
Philip, Catherine & Carrie Sonheim; Rula, Henry
& John Schoen; Jean Wesley;
Rock Creek School
served both the Levis and Dewhurst township school districts
as district 4 of the city of Neillsville . It
was located in Levis sec 9.
(1960 map = Fred Subke land; 1976 map =
Ed & Marian Genteman land)
Pine View school was built on a five-acre plot purchased
for $650 from Mr. & Mrs. Fred Subke and Mr. & Mrs. John
Subke, about 7 ½ miles south of Neillsville on the north
side of highway 95. The 100’ x 56’ one story structure
cost about $43,000 and consisted of four classrooms,
toilet facilities, kitchen, principal’s office, teachers’
room and storage room. It had thermostatically
controlled forced air heat. Pine View opened for
the 1961-62 school term and operated until about mid-1970,
it was sold in 1976.
Eleanor Ruth Gentemann Schoenherr’s “125 Years of Progress
1856-1981” book about Levis Township, Clark County,
WI & Dee Zimmerman.
In 1961-62, the Carlyle students
were bussed to the new Pine View School and the three
old schools were sold to the highest bidders.
Meadow View was sold to Herbert
and Eleanor Schoenherr for $777.00 in January of 1962.
Riverside School became the
new town hall for the township of Levis with the high
bid of a thousand dollars.
IN 1976, the Pine View School
was sold, culminating the rural school era for that
Information contributed by
Return to Levis Twp. Main