Cheese & Dairy
Levis First Owners
LEVIS is situated in the southern end
of the county, and consists of two townships, extending,
twelve miles east and west and six miles north and south.
The two townships are described as townships twenty-three,
ranges two and three west.
The town of Levis was Organized as far back as 1856 but was
not reduced to its present boundary until 1873. A strip of
territory through the town along the river was settled
nearly as early as any part of the county, but other
portions of the town were not settled until within the past
few years, and the settlement now is confined to the
northeastern part and a strip two or three miles wide,
extending north and south through the center of the town.
The majority of the inhabitants are Americans, who came here
from the eastern states. There are large tracts of pine
lands in the town, but there are also hardwood ridges which,
when cleared of the timber, make the very best of farming
lands. The soil in parts of the town is sandy, but not so
much so as to hinder the production of several kinds of
useful crops, while in other parts of the town there is no
sand, or at least not enough to make the soil any less
fertile. The surface is generally rolling, though in a part
of the town it is broken by small bluffs.
There are numerous streams of different sizes, the largest
of which is Black river, which flows in a southwesterly
course through the central part of the town. Wedge's creek,
another quite an important stream, enters the northern part
of the town and unites with Black River. There are other
smaller streams in the town, as a reference 'to the map will
show. Black river is of much importance to settlers in the
town, as it furnishes a cheap means of transportation for
the supply of pine timber which the territory contains.
The branch of the Chicago, St. Paul. Minneapolis & Omaha
railroad which extends from Merrillan Junction to
Neillsville, runs through the northwestern part of the town,
and the main line of the same road extends through the
southwestern part of the town. Merrillan Junction, a village
of about one thousand inhabitants is situated in Jackson
County, only two miles west of this town. The northern part
of the town is only three miles from Neillsville. There are
numerous highways extending through the settled portion of
the town, which are kept in excellent condition.
The stage line running from Neillsville to Nevins, passes
through the northeastern part of the town. Day is the name
of the post-office in the northeastern part of the town on
this line, of which Mr. D. C. Neff is postmaster. The town
hall, which was erected a few years ago, is also in this
portion of the town.
The school districts are all provided with good frame school
buildings which are well furnished. Much care is taken in
employing competent persons to fill the position of teachers
in the schools.
There are as yet no churches in the town. The settlers are
no great distance from Neillsville and Merrillan, so that
the need of these edifices is not felt. The growth of the
town can be ascertained from these figures: In 1875 the
population of the town was 197; in 1880 it was 266; in 1885
it was 283, and at the present time it is almost 320. We do
not give these figures to show any remarkable growth, but
for the purpose of showing that the growth has been steady,
with no failing off in numbers, a fact which indicates that
the inhabitants are at least satisfied with their location.
The town officers for the current year are as follows:
Chairman and member of county board, R. W. Canfield; Clerk,
J. W. Short; treasurer, J. W. Colburn; assessor, Wm.