Warner Township Pioneers
By Sharon Short & the Clark Co., WI History Buffs
NELSON families, Warner township
NELSON, Hans family, Warner township
1906 sec 2 residence Hans Nelson (1915 also includes former Mrs. E. Nelson property)
1906 sec 2 no residence Mrs. E. Nelson (Emily, wife of Hans)
April 27, 1900: Hans Nelson has purchased 120 acres off from the Hackett farm that H. Estabrook recently bought, the latter taking Mr. Nelson's city property, excepting the blacksmith shop and lot, in the bargain. Mr. Nelson will put in a considerable amount of his time on the place and will begin building a residence on it at once. Sometime ago, Mr. Nelson also bought three forties east of town from Adolph Turnquist. Greenwood Gleaner
January 1880: Hans Nelson, living in the town of Washburn (only a "P.S. Nelson on 1880 Washburn map in sec 6, gone by 1893 with no further info.), on the road to T. J. LaFlesh's, (in Sherwood township sec 3) has a neat well-equipped cooper shop, where he makes the variety of barrels and butter-tubs, at reasonable rates. Hans' hammer can always be heard, the noise thereof echoing through the heavy timber that stands all around his place. He is at present engaged under a contract with Charlie Gates for barrels for pork packing.
NELSON, Mrs. Hans (c1850 - 4 April 1885)
Mrs. Hans Nelson of the Irg family of Clark Co., Wis., committed suicide Apr. 4, 1885 leaving sm. ch. (No "Irg" or similar family found in CC. This death is not listed in the death or cemetery index. Greenwood cemetery records list Hans Nelson's first wife as Auriel nee Head. Effner Nelson was the informant when his uncle Alanson Head, Jr. died in Neillsville in 1909.)
NELSON, Hans marriage 25 Dec 1887
Married, at the Presbyterian Church in Neillsville Dec. 25, 1887, by Rev. W. T. Hendren, Mr. Hans Nelson (Second marriage for Hans Nelson) to Miss Emily C. Noyes. (Washburn 1893, sec 11, had a F. G. Noyes, but nothing further found on that family.)
"...The Greenwood Gleaner was initiated in January 1891, by J. E. Noyes. (Related to Emily Noyes Nelson?) He was succeeded by H. H. Hartson, with various editors serving through the years. July 1, 1916, Hartson, sold the paper to William F. Neuenfeldt, editor, publisher and owner. Neuenfeldt had started as a printer's "devil" on the Marshfield Demokrat, December 1916...."
NELSON, Emily C. nee Noyes (9 May 1853 - 27 Oct 1929)
Emily C. Noyes was born at Galesburg, Ill., May 9, 1853, and came with her parents to Neillsville, where they resided on a farm southwest of there. On Dec. 25, 1887, she was united in marriage to Hans Nelson of that place. To this union two children were born, who are Carl Nelson of Greenwood and Gladys, now Mrs. Joe Krogness, also of this place. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson lived southwest of Neillsville about ten years. Mr. Nelson being on of the first settlers of the Town of Washburn and a Clark Co pioneer. The family then moved to Greenwood and for many years resided on what is now the J. F. Stoller (Warner sec 2) farm. Later they moved onto their present farm northeast of Greenwood, where she passed away Oct. 27, 1929, at the age of 76 years, 5 months and 18 days. She leaves to mourn her loss her aged husband, the son and daughter and four step-children, who are Herman Nelson of St. Paul, Minn., Effner Nelson of Laydysmith, Wis., Leroy Nelson of the state of Washington and Mrs. Otto (Eunice) Schinke of Jefferson, Wis. Also a sister, Mrs. Wm. Smith of Santa Barbara, Calif., and one brother, Fred Noyes, of Fennville, Mich. Short services were held at the family residence and from the M.E. Church. The body was laid to rest in the Greenwood Cemetery.
June 25, 1914: Mr. and Mrs. Hans Nelson's granddaughter has been visiting here the past week. Warner's Corners - Locals
NELSON, Hans (1846 - 27 April 1936)
Married c1870 to Auriel, daughter of Alanson and Lucinda Hancock Head. Auriel died by her own hand 4 April 1885. Children: Eunice, Herman, Myrtle, Effner, Leroy. Hans Nelson next married on 25 Dec 1887 to Emily C. Noyes. Children: Carl and Gladys.
Williams, Myrtle nee NELSON (3 JAN 1873 - 2 JAN 1908)
Mrs. Myrtle Williams, wife of Henry E. Williams of Granton, Clark Co, died at the hospital in Marshfield, Jan. 2, 1908, after undergoing operations for appendicitis. Mrs. Williams, whose maiden name was Myrtle Harriet Nelson, was born in the town of Grant, July 3, 1873. Most of her life was spent in the town where she was born, though she lived for a time in Shortville, where her parents resided for several years.
She was educated in the district school, in Neillsville High School, and later attended school in Des Moines, Iowa, becoming a very successful teacher. She was married to H.E. Williams Jan. 14, 1894, who with their three children, George aged thirteen, Mabel aged nine, and Vance aged three, survive her. She leaves also to mourn her death, her father Hans Nelson of Greenwood, two brothers, Effner of Ladysmith and Herman of St. Paul, and a sister, Mrs. Eunice Schlinke of Hebron. The funeral was held in the M.W.A. hall at Granton under the direction of the O.E.S. Other relatives from away besides those mentioned who attended the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. H. Chaffin of Ripon, Mrs. E. Sweet of Tomah, Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Doughty and daughter of Grand Rapids.
NELSON, Effner marriage 7 July 1897
Effner Nelson and Miss Catherine Shoop, both of the town of Washburn, Clark Co, were married at the Presbyterian Manse July 7, 1897. Catherine Shoop was the daughter of Andrew and Susana nee Litner Shoop.
NELSON, Leroy (22 Jan 1885 - 17 Jan 1936)
Word has been received here of the death by drowning of Leroy Nelson, commercial fisherman at Tokeland, Wash. Mr. Nelson was drowned, Jan. 17, 1936 when he left his home after supper to fasten his boat and failed to return. His body was not recovered until a week later. Deceased was born in the town of Washburn, Clark Co, Wis., Jan. 22, 1885, and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Hans Nelson. He left Clark Co about 29 years ago. He was married 10 years ago and is survived by his widow and one daughter. He also leaves his father, Hans Nelson, who is 90 years of age and resides with his son Carl northeast of Greenwood, and the following brothers and sisters: Mrs. Gladys Krogness and Carl Nelson, Greenwood; Herman, St. Paul, Minn.; Effner, Ladysmith and Mrs. Otto Schinke, Jefferson. The funeral was held at Tokeland, Jan. 25th.
NELSON, Gladys V. marriage - 4 June 1919
A wedding took place at the residence of Dr. and Mrs. S. M. Kyes on June 4, 1919, the contracting parties being Mr. Joseph M. Krogness of Greenwood, and Miss Gladys V. Nelson, who has lived for some time at the home of Dr. Kyes. The bride was attended by Miss Edith Villemonte. The duties of the best man were ably carried out by Mr. A. M. Krogness of Milbank, S. D., a brother of the groom. The bridal couple left the same evening for the town of Warner near Greenwood, where they will make their future home on the Krogness farm.
Gladys nee NELSON (28 Feb 1895 - 15 May 1980)
Funeral services for Mrs. Gladys Helsten, 85, of Bethel Convalescent Center, Arpin, were conducted at Rux Funeral Home, Spencer. Mrs. Helsten died at Bethel Convalescent Center, Arpin, May 15, 1980. Officiating was theTrinity Lutheran Church, Unity. Interment was in the Greenwood Cemetery. Gladys Nelson was born to the late Hans and Emily (nee Noyes) Nelson on Feb. 28, 1895 in Clark Co. She was married to Joseph Krogness on June 4, 1919. He died in 1932. In 1958 she was married to Elmer Helsten at Ogema. He died in 1978. She farmed at Route 1, Spencer all her life. She was a member of Trondjhem Lutheran Church, Greenwood area.
NELSON, Carl A. (24 Nov 1887 - 20 Oct 1970)
held at the Hill Funeral Home for Carl A. Nelson, 82, Greenwood, who died at
Oct. 20, 1970 at the Neillsville Memorial Home. Burial was made in the
Greenwood Cemetery. Mr. Nelson was born Nov. 24, 1887, in Neillsville. He was
married Nov. 4, 1936, to Sadie Kirk Redman, who preceded him in death
Aug. 8, 1958. The couple farmed in the town of Warner, and after the death of
his wife he moved to Neillsville. For the past seven years he had been a
resident of the Memorial Home. Survivors include two sisters, Mrs. Elmer
(Gladys) Helsten, Spencer and Mrs. Eunice Schinke, Jefferson, Wis.
He was also preceded in death by three brothers and a sister.
NELSON, Esther "Sadie" nee Kirk (28 Mar 1869 - 8 Aug 1955)
An 86-year-old resident of this area, Mrs. Carl Nelson, died of a heart ailment Aug. 8, 1955 at her home. She had been in poor health for the past three years. The former Sadie Kirk was born March 28, 1869 in Hartford, Conn., and was married there in 1905 to George Redman, whose death occurred in 1932. In 1916 she came to Chicago. Later she moved to Sherwood Township in Clark Co, where she lived for 20 years. On Nov. 4, 1936, she was married to Carl Nelson and since then they have resided on the Nelson farm in the Town of Warner. Mrs. Nelson is survived by her husband, a brother-in-law, Ervin Emerson, Chicago. Three sisters and two brothers preceded her in death. Funeral services at Grace Methodist Church. Burial will take place in the Greenwood Cemetery.
March 18, 1937: Mr. and Mrs. Carl Nelson of Greenwood called on Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Boller Wednesday afternoon. Mr. and Mrs. Carl Nelson of Greenwood were dinner guests at the W. P. Boller home Sunday. Star Corner
April 6, 1939: Friends and neighbors came with well filled baskets Tuesday afternoon, March 28, to help Mrs. Carl Nelson celebrate her birthday. A delicious lunch and a pleasant afternoon were enjoyed by all. Greenwood
NELSON, Charles family, Warner township
1906 sec 13 no residence Chas. Nelson (1893 E. S. Newton timber; 1915 C. A. Anderson)
January 15, 1915: The neighbors and friends of Charlie Nelson surprised him Saturday evening, the occasion being his birthday. The evening was spent in dancing. A good time was enjoyed by all. Greenwood Gleaner
NELSON, Fred family, Warner township
1906 sec 14 no residence Fred Nelson (1893 = H.H. Camp; 1915 C. A. Nelson, not related to Fred Nelson)
Fred Nelson (1866-1954), son of Nels and Johanna nee Chrisensen Nelson, married Lillian (1876-1953) daughter of Henry and Mathild nee Harris Shupe, on 17 Aug 1904. Both the Shupe and Nelson families lived in Loyal township. More than likely Fred Nelson purchased the Warner township property as an investment.
Fredrick Nelson born 1866 in Norway died 1954 in Wisconsin. He married Lillian Shupe.
Siblings of Fredrick Nelson: Christian Adolph Nelson born 1869 in Norway died 1940 in California. He married Anna Stacia Dunn who was born 1878 and died 1910 in Montana.
John E Nelson born 1872 in Norway died 1954 in Wisconsin. He married Martha B
Effie Nelson born 1877 in Wisconsin died 1881 in Wisconsin. William Nelson born 1878 in Wisconsin died 1946 in Wisconsin. He married Clara J Hardrath. Julia Nelson born 1860 in Norway d 1924 in Wisconsin. Julie married Martin Johnson Skorstad. Mary Nelson born Jan 28,1881 Wisconsin and married Otto Braun, Oct 30,1900.
NELSON, Olga family, Warner township
1905 #66 Nelson, Olga Head W F 38 Widow Sweden Sweden House Keeper 12 Rental Richard Son W M 14 S Illinois Sweden Day Laborer 8 Clarence Son W M 12 S Illinois Sweden Ernest Son W M 6 S Illinois Sweden
Residence # 65, also a rental, Warren Hummil family; Residence # 67 Theodore Withee family. This was the large Withee farm in Warner sec 15 (Hemlock) that contained a number of employee houses, more than likely that both the Hummil and Nelson families worked for the Withee family. Nothing further found on any of the Olga Nelson family. The only "Olga" Nelson death is noted on the Wood Co. cemetery index. Also searched Nilson, Nilsen, Nelsen surnames.
NEVILLE family, Warner township
1875 census: Neville, Martin; 2 male, 4 female
1895 census, head of family: Martin Neville 4 male, 5 female
1905 #54 Neville, Martin Head W M 65 Widower Missouri Ireland Farmer 12 O F Lee Son W M 29 S Wisconsin Can/Missouri Farm Laborer 9 James Son W M 25 S Wisconsin Can/Missouri Farm Laborer 10 Maud Daughter W F 23 S Wisconsin Can/Missouri
1880 sec 3 residence Martin Neville
1893 sec 3 residence M. Neville; 1906-1915 sec 3 residence M. Neville (1920 O. Carteron)
MARTIN NEVILLE, of section 3, Warner Township, and the second settler of his town, was born in Tarkio, Missouri, November 11, 1841, the son of Patrick Neville, a native of County Wexford, Ireland. He came to Canada East when a young man, and there married Catharine Kelly, a native of County Kildare, Ireland. They subsequently emigrated to Missouri, where they lived but a few years, having been frightened away by Indians, and returned to Canada. Of their eight children, seven of them are now living: James, John, Mary, Bridget, Kate, Martin, Lizzie. The father died in 1879, and the mother in 1881, and both were buried in Canada East. The subject, when sixteen years of age went to Maine, where he spent four years in the pineries, and also loaded vessels with square timber. He was a contractor in the latter occupation for several years. In the fall of 1859 he removed to the Southern States, where he was engaged on a steamboat that winter, and the following winter on the Mississippi River, below New Orleans, and also on the Missouri as far up as Council Bluffs. In 1863 he went to Australia with a vessel loaded with pine and spruce lumber, and at Melbourne his captain sold the ship, after which he returned to Liverpool, England, and thence to Quebec in a sail vessel.
Mr. Neville then returned to Maine and worked again in the woods one winter, and the following spring went to Pennsylvania. In the fall of 1866 he came to Neillsville and that winter worked for Robert Ross in his logging camp. In July he bought a claim of 160 acres, which he homesteaded,. He lived on this place seven years before proving it up. It was then covered with timber, and he had to clear a sufficient space to build a shanty. Mr. Neville was married July 29, 1869, to Mary J. Wright, who was born in Canada East in 1842, the son of James Wright. They have had nine children, eight of whom are still living, namely: Alice M., Albert H., Mary Il, Eliza, Martin L., Katie M., James and Anna M. The mother died February 27, 1884, after a brief illness of inflammation of the lungs. After her death Mr. Neville kept the eight children together, the eldest having been less than twelve year old at her death. For three months he never slept an hour, but gradually sleep came back to him for a few minutes at a time. His trials were almost unbearable, and many men would have succumbed. He has been School Treasurer for twenty-four years, and was also Road Overseer several years. "Biographical History of Clark Jackson Counties, WI," 1891
27 Mar 1884: "Card of Thanks: With feelings of sincere gratitude I offer heartfelt thanks to the ladies and friends of Longwood, Wis., for the unremitted kindness shown by them to my late beloved sister, Mrs. Neville, during her last sickness-and wish to assure all of them, that I will never forget their kindness in their efforts to alleviate the suffering of my now deceased sister, and to make happy her last hours before parting with those she loved so much. Miss Jenny Wright, Winnipeg, March, 13th, 1884 27 Mar 1884: "Card of Thanks: I wish to tender my thanks to the kind people of Longwood and Greenwood for their assistance in caring for my wife during her sickness, and for kindness and sympathy in my bereavement and for their presence and aid while performing the last sad rite of laying away the remains of her whom I loved so well. Martin Neville Longwood, March 18, 1884 "
NEVILLE, Albert Henry (5 Dec 1872 - 2 Dec 1926)
Albert Henry Neville, eldest son of Martin and Isabella Neville, passed away at a private hospital at Bowman, N.D. of pneumonia, having been ill only a few days. He was born Dec. 5, 1872, six miles north of Greenwood, Clark Co, Wis., on the old homestead. At the time of his death he was 53 years, 11 months and 27 days old. He leaves to mourn his death four sisters and two brothers. One sister, Mary, passed away in 1916. Mrs. Alice Boss, Milton Jct. Wis., Mrs. Lillian Raymond, Milwaukee, Wis., Mrs. Maud Arnold and Mrs. Katherine Mahar, Buffalo, Missouri, Lee Neville, Rahame, N.D., and James of Carrington, N.D., Two nieces, May Arnold and Ruth Neville. Lee Neville arrived here with the remains from Rhame, N.D., his home. One sister, Maud Arnold and James Neville were unable to be here. The funeral was held from St. Mary's Catholic Church. He was laid to rest in the family lot in the Greenwood Cemetery.
NEVILLE, Mary Isabell 10 Mar 1874 - 3 Sep 1916
Mary Isabell Neville, second daughter of Martin and Isabella Neville, deceased, died Sept. 3, 1916, after a lingering illness of several years, at the home of her sister Mrs. Alice Boss of Madison, Wis. Deceased was born in the town of Warner, Clark Co, Wis., March 10, 1874. She leaves to mourn her death, her father, four sisters and three brothers, Mrs. Alice Boss and Mrs. Lilly Raymond of Madison, Wis.; Mrs. Katherine Maher, Buffalo, Mo.; Mrs. Maud Arnold, Stockton, Calif., Albert and Lee Neville of Rhame, N.D., and James Neville of Morristown, S.D. The mother died Jan. 27, 1884. Since that time Mary kept house for her father most of the time until the old home was sold three years ago. Since then she has made her home with Mrs. John Shanks of Greenwood, Wis.
April 1876 A meeting was held in Neillsville last Sunday by those of the Catholic faith living here. They appointed a church committee consisting of E. H. Markey, president; J. Dwyer, treasurer; with three assistants; Wm. Hughes, M. Lorenz and Martin Neville. They empowered the committee to act in conjunction with the Priest, in making arrangements for building a Catholic Church in Neillsville during this year. Also, they are to call upon all members and friends of the congregation to subscribe money for that purpose. They will also be authorized to receive and pay expenses for which proper accounts will be kept. The committee is assigned to select suitable grounds to erect thereon a Catholic Church, also.
21 July 1901: Martin Neville wears a smile that makes him look younger than usual the reason being that he is grandfather for the first time, his daughter (Lilly), Mrs. Jas. Raymond, who lives at Fort Mead, S. D., having been blessed with a boy on Sept. 11. GREENWOOD GLEANER
25 Jan 1903 Longwood locals: Martin Neville had the misfortune to loose a fine colt recently. Mary Neville did shopping in our sister city, Greenwood, Wednesday.
Boss, Isabell (6 Mar 1906 - 7 Sep 1911)
The sad news of the sudden death of the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gus Boss of Madison, was received here by relatives and friends last Thursday. Isabell was born in Owen, Clark Co, Wis., March 6, 1906, where her parents lived four years. In June 1910 she moved with her parents to Madison where they now reside. Little Isabell was taken with convulsions Wednesday evening, Sept. 6 at 6:30 and died the next afternoon at 4:30. She was conscious a few minutes before the end, recognized mama and papa and passed away. Deceased was five years, 7 months and one day old. The remains were brought from Madison Monday morning to Greenwood, the old home of Mrs. Boss. Services were held from St. Mary's Catholic Church with interment in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mrs. Boss is the oldest daughter of Martin Neville, one of the oldest settlers of Clark Co.
When nothing of interest is going on around I shall devote a little time writing to you. I left old Wisconsin the first time April 22, 1901. Of course I got the western fever the same as many others that came west. Well, I reached here without being robbed. I think that's doing pretty well for a green traveler. Perhaps I should have been but for the warnings my sister gave me the morning I left home. The last thing she said was, "Don't go to sleep and get robbed." I think the western climate agrees with me. Have gained twenty-five pounds in four months and never felt better in my life. I am sixty miles from Portland and two miles from the Columbia River. This is the place for fish. I can see the boats go up and down every day. The 6th of July, I went up on Mt. Hood. The snow was piled up 100 feet in places. It was a dangerous looking place. While up there I shot a black bear and it rolled down the mountain a half mile. That was the last I saw of it. I have not taken up any claim yet. I intend going to Washington this fall and take one there. The timber is better there than here. I think some of the Wisconsin boys that are working for $1.00 a day better come west where they can get their $2.25 and $2.50 per day. Good bye. Yours truly, Jim Neville Hood River, Oregon, July 24, 1901.
"...But as the town grew the saloon entered and grew also, and a large floating population going into camps in the fall and out in the spring, would spend their hard earned money in drink, and fights were not unusual. John Hoyt built a saloon near where the North Side hall now stands and Bob Robinson ran what was called the "Icicle Saloon", because of the trimmings. It was located where the "New Deal's" saloon now stands... Another day Jim Neville (who had fought in the Mexican War, and as a memento had a half moon slice out of one side of his nose), was lounging in the " Icicle Saloon" when a man entered and announced his name as "Wisconsin Jack" which Jim took as a challenge, jumped up and said "My name is Mississippi Pete" and socked him one on the jaw with his left fist. "Wisconsin Jack" left and was seen no more...." Hub of Clark Co 1853 - 1934
NEWTON family, Warner township
1880 sec 1,12,13, 14, 25, 26, 35, 36 no residences Mrs. E. L. Newton
1880 sec14, 25, 26, 36 no residences E. L. Newton
1893 sec 1, 12, 13, 14, 25,26, 35, 36 no residence E. S. Newton (E.S.N.)
There were many Newton families in CC, (none in Warner township) but no E. L. or E. S. Newton was connected to those families. E.S. and E. L. Newton owned much land in many CC townships so they were probably one of the "timber barons" who lived elsewhere. A search of both "lumber" and "timber" did not turn up any info on the E.S. or E.L. Newton families.
NIEMAND family, Warner township
1895 census, head of family: Henry Neiman 1 male, 1 female
1905 #32 Nieman, Henry Head W M 64 M Germany Germany Carpenter 8 O F Pauline Wife W F 61 M Germany Germany House Keeper
1893 sec 29 residence H. Niemand (1906 And. Johnson)
1906 sec 28 no residence Henry Niemond (1915 Jno Vandosky)
NIEMAND, Hendrich (25 Mar 1840 - 21 Jan 1917)
NIEMAND, Pauline nee Buchholz or nee Waseca? (16 April 1844 - 20 June 1909)
Heinrich, "Henry" Niemand was born March 25,1840 to Heinrich and Maria (Obuch) Neimand. He married (at age 50) his wife (at age 46), Mina, "Pauline" Buchholz, January 19, 1890 (not on CC marriage records). She was born April 19, 1834 (probably a typo, 1844 per cemetery and census) and was the daughter of Michael and Dorothea (Kuck) Buchholz. They lived on the Westside of the Black River in Warner Township, Clark Co., Wisconsin. They attended the Immanuel Evangelical and Reformed Church (probably because it was less than half mile distant from their home and their own Catholic Church in Greenwood was too far to travel in their advanced age.). Their neighbors were Martin Richelieu, Henry Imdermeyer (Sundermeyer), Philip Vollrath, Mary Decker, Fred Wehrman, Aug Beyer and John Schwarze (1893 plat map when lived in sec 29). Pauline died June 20, 1909 at the age of sixty-five (b. 1844) and he died eight years later, January 21, 1917. They are both buried in the Greenwood cemetery.
(On Greenwood City cemetery index as "Neimand", source = new info, no tombstone. Also on St. Mary's Catholic Greenwood cemetery list as "Niemand", source = tombstone, courthouse and cemetery record, Pauline's maiden name listed as Waseca.)
Nieman/Neiman, Buchholz and Waseca families in Clark Co do not seem to have any relationship to Henry and Pauline Niemand who are the only "Niemand/Neimand" to be found on this site. Given their age at marriage they were both probably married previously to other partners. Perhaps Pauline was nee Waseca and previously married to a Buchholz. No information was found on the listed parents of Henry and Pauline. Most of the many CC Nieman, Buchholz and Waseca families were Catholic, and in order to be buried in St. Mary's Catholic cemetery Henry and Pauline would have had to be Catholic in good standing with their church. Surely someone very close or related lived in the same general community to care for Henry and Pauline as they reached the end of their lives, but with no obit available those people are not yet known.
Military Service: Henry Niemand may have fought as a private in the Civil War with Company I, of the 8th New Jersey Infantry. (Unknown source, not listed in Civil War info available on this site, but given Henry's birth year this is a real possibility.)
NEVINS family, Warner township
1880 sec 6 no residence S. L. Nevins (1893 C. Braun)
"...There are also a number of community center and railroad sidings which bear local names. Some of them were formerly post offices... Irene, Nevens and Dewhurst are inland centers in Dewhurst Township...." The History of Clark County
Sylvester Nevins came from New York to La Crosse, Wis., in 1859, to assist C. C. Washburn with logging and other business ventures. Through their partnership, he came to temporarily settle in the Town of Sherwood, Clark Co. He obtained large acreages of land in the area while working with the lumbering business. The Nevins community derived its name from Sylvester Nevins, where the area's post office had held his name from its inception. Also, as a state senator, Nevins maintained his residence in La Crosse during most of his career in Wisconsin. A few years prior to his death in 1901, he returned to New York.
December 15, 1882: Mrs. Andy Nevins, of La Crosse will board with Mrs. Schofield this winter. Greenwood news Neillsville Times
"...In 1864 loggers on the stream secured a charter from the Wisconsin Legislature for the Black River Improvement Company, an organization which replaced the moribund riving and boom enterprise which dated from the first year of logging activity on the watercourse. Capitalized at $50,000, five times larger than the original company, Washburn demonstrated his interests in the future by securing 200 shares in the firm. Sylvester L. Nevins, a trusted Washburn associate, filled the position, technically called Secretary-Treasurer, from the inception of the company until 1893... The La Crosse Lumber Company, the official name of the mill, opened in 1872... In time Washburn acquired sole possession of the sawmill. After eliminating his partners, Washburn brought in Sylvester L. Nevins, administrator of the Black River Improvement Co...."
NOAH family, Warner township
1875 census: Noah, Ludwig; 4 male, 2 female (parents and four children)
1895 census, head of family: Ludwig Noah 2 male, 1 female
1895 census, head of family: Aug. Noah 2 male, 2 female
1895 census, head of family: O. H. Noah (Oscar) 2 male, 5 female
1893-1920 sec 19 no residence A. H. Noah (August) (1926 Alfred Noah)
1893-1906 sec 18 residence S. Noah; sec 19 no residence S. Noah (Simon) (1915 Miller)
Mead township was formed from the center third of Warner township on Nov 16, 1895. Sec 19 of Warner adjoined new sec 24 of Mead and Warner sec 18 adjoined new sec 13 of Mead. The Noah's had land in both Warner and the newly formed Mead but the homes were on the Mead side of the dividing line. After the 1895 census they were counted as Mead residents.
1905 Patrons Directory: Noah, Aug., Farmer and Chairman of Township Board, S. 24, T. Mead, P. O. Greenwood, 1874.
Johannes Frederich Ludwig Noah (son of Ludwig and Katherina Kehde Noah), born 18 May 1824, died 28 July 1901, married (in 1847) Louise Charlotte Strate, born 22 Feb 1826, died 12 April 1903. (Both are buried in the UCC cemetery) In the year 1869 they came to America and they made their home the first four years in the Town of Hermann, Sheboygan Co, WI. In the year 1873 the Noah family (except for Henry Herman) came to Clark Co. Their children: Henry Herman, 1847-1916, Louisa (9 April 1851 - 22 May 1876), August (1854 - 1949), Adolph August (1858 - 1935), Simon Henry (1866 - 1942), Alvina 1871-1939 married August Franz on 8 Jan 1891
"...Ludwig & Charlotte built a log cabin and years later a new frame house. This farm was later owned by his son Adolph, who passed it on to his son, Emil, whose son Elmer eventually farmed it too. In 2004, the Braun/Noah family reunion was held there and Elmer's son was preparing to take it over...."
Henry Herman Noah
Henry Herman Noah was born Kalldorf, Germany, Feb 20, 1847. At the age of nineteen he came to America and located at Franklin, Sheboygan Co, Wis. On the 22nd of May 1870 he was united in marriage with Friederika Schnuelle at Franklin, Wisc. To this union were born ten girls and three boys, the mother, three girls and one boy, preceding him in death. The children surviving are Clara and John, of Portland, Oregon; Calvin (note that Adolph August Noah also had a son named Calvin Adolph who went to Baxter, IA in 1910), Baxter; Mrs. F. Cholett, Mitchelville, Ia.; Mrs. Don Raridon, of near Newton; Selma, Rosa, Alvine, and Meta at home. Besides the children he leaves three brothers and one sister of Greenwood, Wis. He came to Jasper County, Iowa, in 1876, and followed the carpenter trade for several years and then settled on a farm four miles southeast of Baxter, and there they made their home until 1902. They then moved to Baxter, Iowa, where he was one of the proprietors of the Baxter Roller Mills for about eleven years, after which he retired. He died Oct 6, 1916, A short service was held at the house and at the German Reformed Church. The body was laid at rest in the German Reformed cemetery
NOAH, August (20 Aug 1854 - 23 Jan 1949)
August Noah, 94, died Jan. 23, 1949 at his home 7 miles northwest of Greenwood. His death was attributed to old age. The funeral was held at the Noah residence and at the West Side Evangelical and Reformed Church, and interment was made in the West Side Cemetery. Mr. Noah was born Aug. 20, 1854 in Germany. He was 13 years old when he came to the United States and settled with his parents in Sheboygan. In 1874 he came to Greenwood, and on April 10, 1884, he married Louisa Kotzer. He was a charter member of the West Side Evangelical and Reformed Church. He helped build the first church, which was organized 75 years ago. Two children survive, Mrs. Arthur (Laura) Humke and Alfred, both of Greenwood. Mrs. Noah died Dec. 19, 1944, and two sisters and three brothers preceded him in death.
NOAH, Louise nee Kotzer (24 March 1862 - 19 Dec 1944)
Louise Kotzer was born in Stettin, Germany on March 24, 1862 and came to America when she was two years old and the family settled in Sheboygan, where she resided for sixteen years. She then came to Longwood where she remained until her marriage to August Noah on April 10, 1884 when they moved to a farm near Greenwood. Mrs. August Noah has held membership in the West Side Reformed Church for more than sixty years. It was her husband, August Noah, who built the first Immanuel Church structure, a log building two stories high, which housed both the worshipping congregation and the pastoral family. The deceased was one of the founders and charter members of the West Side Ladies Aid Society. It was at her home that the first Ladies Aid meeting was held, at which meeting the society was organized with four members. Mrs. Noah had been in poor health for more than seven years, suffering the results of a paralytic stroke. Some weeks ago her condition became aggravated and death came Dec. 19th, 1944, she having attained an age of 82 years, 8 months and 25 days. Burial services for Mrs. Noah were held at the home of the deceased and at the West Side Church, with interment at the West Side Cemetery (UCC East section). She is survived by her husband, a daughter, Mrs. Art (Laura) Humke (Laura 26 Oct 1888 - 18 Sept 1971, obit with Humke bio), a son Alfred (Alfred 27 Jan 1885 - 13 Jan 1958, not married) at home. Her sister, Mrs. John Poppe and a brother, Ernest Kotzer, preceded her in death. The friends who came from a distance to attended the Memorial Services were: Mrs. Simon Noah of Loyal, Mr. and Mrs. George Poppe and Mrs. Ed Poppe of Withee.
NOAH, Laura L. marriage Oct 2 1913
At the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Aug. Noah, of the West Side, occurred the marriage of their only daughter Laura L. to Mr. Arthur T. Humke. The bride was attended by the Misses Ella Humke and Hilda Kippenhan and the groom by Messrs. George Humke and Alfred Noah. They will make their home on the groom's farm.
NOAH, Adolph August (10 Aug 1858 -9 Oct 1935)
Adolph Noah was born in Dalle, Lippe Detmold, Germany, on Aug. 10, 1858, the son of Ludwig and Charlotte (Strate) Noah. In the year 1869 he came with his parents to America and they made their home the first four years in the Town of Hermann, Sheboygan Co. In the year 1873 the Noah family came to Clark Co and settled on a farm in the Town of Mead. This farm has since served as the home of the deceased and is now owned by his son Emil.
On Jan. 11, 1874, the day the West Side Church was organized, he became a member of it, being active therein for over 60 years. He served this church as a deacon for six years and as elder for two years. In the year 1885 he was united in marriage to Minna Dohmeier (10 April 1865 - 29 April 1889, buried UCC cemetery). This union was blessed with two children (Calvin Adolph 1887 and Clara Louise 1889). Mr. Noah was married for a second time to Louise Hoehle on Sept 25, 1890. To this union were born seven children. He held various town and school offices. In the Town he held the office of Clerk, Chairman, Treasurer and in the school. Mr. Noah's health was failing for some time and the last two years he was often confined to his bed. He was called to his final reward Oct. 9, 1935, reaching an age of 77 years, 1 month and 29 days. Those who remain to mourn his death are his widow, four sons: Calvin Adolph (b. 26 Jan 1887), Baxter, Iowa; Oscar Heinrich (b. 28 Oct 1894), Alma, Wis.; Emil Johannes (b. 1 May 1897), Greenwood, Wis.; Albert Ludwig (b. 4 Nov 1901), Sidney, Mont.; five daughters: Mrs. Clara Louise (b. 7 April 1889) Wendt, Owen, Wis.; Mrs. Selma Mathilde (b. 28 July 1891) Hollmann, Grafton, Wis.; Mrs. Bertha Louise (b. 9 Aug 1899) Schwarze, Greenwood, Wis. and Mrs. Emma Martha (b. 26 Nov 1907) Kraut, Northbrook, Ill. (not listed: Alwine/Alvina Caroline b. 10 Dec 1892, married ---Peters, lived Milwaukee) Besides these he leaves to mourn, two brothers, August of Greenwood, Wis., and Simon of Loyal, Wis. and one sister, Mrs. August Franz, Greenwood, Wis. Funeral services were held at the Immanuel Reformed Church. The body was laid to rest in the West Side Cemetery. Three grandchildren, Leona and Alice Wendt and Bernice Schwarze, were flower girls.
NOAH, Louisa nee Hoehle (4 June 1865 - 15 Oct 1952)
Mrs. Adolph Noah, 87, a pioneer and one of the oldest residents of Greenwood, died October 15 at the home of her son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Emil Noah. Mrs. Noah, the former Louisa Hoehle, was born on June 4, 1865, in Germany. She came to this country in 1888 and settled in Plymouth. For a short time she worked in the Mission House. She came to this area and after being married, lived on the Noah farm seven miles northwest of Greenwood. Her marriage to Adolph H. Noah took place September 25, 1890, in the West Side Church. Mr. Noah died in 1935. She is survived by three daughters; Mrs. Wm. (Selma) Hollmann of Granton; Mrs. Arthur (Bertha) Schwarze of Greenwood; Mrs. Arthur (Alvina) Peters of Milwaukee; three sons, Oscar of Alma; Emil of Greenwood and Albert of Sydney, Montana; two stepchildren, Alvin Noah of Baxter, Iowa and Mrs. John (Clara) Wendt of Owen. A daughter, Mrs. Emma Kraut, died in Austria in 1940. Three brothers and three sisters also preceded her in death. Funeral services were held at the Emil Noah home, in Greenwood and at the West Side Church. Burial was in the West Side Cemetery.
January 26, 1911: For some time past the farmers of the West Side have been agitating the possibility of establishing a cheese factory to utilize their "cow product," thereby gaining the profit, without sharing the gain with middle men... the factory which after completion will be known as the Town of Warner Co-Operative Cheese Factory, located at Benjamin's corners (Warner sec 19), near the Herman Schwarze school house (later know as the Benjamin School). The Warner cheese factory held their annual meeting Tuesday evening, the following officers were elected: President, Adolph Noah; Secretary, J. Korback; Treasurer, Herman Schwarze; Cheesemaker, Henry Neuman". Greenwood Gleaner
NOAH, Calvin Adolph (26 Jan 1887 - 19 Dec 1955)
Relatives from here who attended the funeral of Calvin Adolph Noah, 68, a former resident (of Greenwood area), at Baxter Iowa, were Mrs. Clara Wendt and Mrs. Emil Noah and son Norman. Also attending were Adolph Noah, Owen, and Oscar of Alma. Mr. Noah died of a heart ailment Dec. 19, 1955 at Baxter. Final rites were conducted from the Bethany Evangelical and Reformed Church, and burial was made in the Baxter Cemetery. Military rites were conducted by the Baxter Legion Post. Calvin Noah was born Jan. 26, 1887 (son of Adolph August Noah), and received his education here. He went to Baxter in 1910 and was engaged in carpentry. During World War I, he served in the Army Engineering Corps and after his discharge he returned to Baxter, operating a hardware business until 1944. Since then he was a building contractor. Surviving him are his wife, the former Myrtle Whaley, whom he married Aug. 6, 1929, at Baxter on sons, Leo Noah, U.S. Navy, Norfolk, Va. and a daughter, Loretta, Milwaukee. Other survivors are three brothers and four sisters, Emil, Mrs. (Clara Louise) Wendt and Mrs. Arthur (Bertha Louise) Schwarze, Greenwood; Oscar, Alma; Albert, Sidney, Mont.; Mrs. William (Selma Mahilde) Holman, Port Washington and Mrs. Alvina Peters, Milwaukee. One sister preceded him in death.
NOAH, Irene nee Haigh (18 Jan 1899 - 16 Feb 1940)
Mrs. Oscar Noah, nee Irene Haigh, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Haigh of Alma, Wis. was born at Alma on Jan. 18, 1899 and was married to Oscar Noah (son of Adolph August Noah) on Jan. 23, 1919 at Alma, Wis. She passed away at her home in Alma on Feb. 16, 1940 after two years illness with cancer. She was a member of the Reformed Church. She is survived by her husband and five children, Norbert, Velda, Julia, Orlin and Dahl, all at home, her father, Thomas Haigh, five brothers and two sisters. One brother, Clarence Haigh, of Greenwood, Clark Co, a brother-in-law, Emil Noah and 2 sisters-in-law, Mrs. John Wendt and Mrs. Arthur Schwarze, all of Greenwood. Her mother passed away in Dec. 1939. Those from here who attended were Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Schwarze and daughter, Bernice, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Haigh, Emil Noah of Greenwood, Adolph Wendt of Willard, Mr. and Mrs. John Wendt and son, Edgar, and daughter Alice of Owen.
NOAH, Albert Ludwig (4 Nov 1901 - 7 Aug 1962)
A former resident of Greenwood, Clark Co, Albert L. Noah, 61, died Aug. 7, 1962, at his farm home in Sidney, Mont. Funeral services were held there. Mr. Noah was born Nov. 4, 1901, in Greenwood, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Noah. He lived in this area until 1929, when he moved to Sidney Mont., where he operated a farm. He was married in Sidney on Sept. 10, 1933, to Anna Marie Norton. He is survived by his wife a daughter, Mrs. Ervin (Joan) Kuehn, Terrance, Calif.; two brothers, Oscar Noah, Alma, and Emil Noah, Greenwood; and four sisters, Mrs. William (Selma Mahilde) Hollmann, Grafton; Mrs. Alvina Peters, Milwaukee; Mrs. Clara Wendt, Owen; and Mrs. Arthur (Bertha Louise) Schwarze, Greenwood. People from Greenwood who attended the services were Mr. and Mrs. Emil Noah, Mrs. Arthur Schwarze, Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Albert and daughter, Joyce, and Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Franz.
NOAH, Emil John (1 May 1897 - 1 May 1984)
Emil John Noah was born May 1, 1897, in the Town of Mead, Clark Co, son of Adolph and Louisa (Hoehle) Noah, died suddenly at his home May 1, 1984, at Greenwood.
On Dec. 17, 1925, he was married to Marianna Braun, who survives him. He farmed until retiring in 1969, when he moved to the Town of Warner for 10 years, later to Loyal and at the present lived in Greenwood. Chairman of the Town of Mead for 20 years, member of the board of supervisors of Clark Co, Charter member of Warner Mutual Town Fire Insurance Co., serving as vice-president, president of West Side Telephone. Mr. Noah was a World War I veteran, a 50-year member of the American Legion, Post 608 of Greenwood. He is survived by ten children: Fredrick, Hawthorn, Ca., Norman, Oconto; Evelyn (Mrs. Orville Hoffmann), Milwaukee; Mrs. Bernelda Karlen, Greenwood; Herbert, Loyal; Arvilla (Mrs. Robert Stark), Neillsville; Kathleen (Mrs. Richard Fitzl) Loyal; one sister, Mrs. Alvina Peters, Milwaukee; one brother, Oscar, Cockrane, Wis. He was preceded in death by his parents, one son, one granddaughter, four sisters and two brothers.
NOAH, Marianna nee Braun (28 Sept 1904 - 10 May 1992)
Marianna Noah, 87, formerly of Greenwood, died May 10, 1992, at Neillsville Memorial Home, Neillsville. Funeral services were held at Immanuel United Church of Christ, Greenwood, and burial was in the West Side Cemetery. Marianna Braun was born Sept 28, 1904, in the town of Reseburg, Clark Co, to Frederick and Mary (nee Wilck) Braun. She attended Braun Settlement School. She married Emil Noah Dec. 17, 1925. He preceded her in death in 1984. After their marriage, they farmed in the Greenwood area, retiring in 1969. She was a resident of Memorial Home for three years. Survivors include five sons, Frederick, Hawthorne, Calif.; Norman, Oconto; Herbert, Stevens Point; Verlan, Marlow, Okla. and Elmer, Greenwood; five daughters, Mrs. Orville (Evelyn) Hoffman, Milwaukee; Mrs. Bernelda Karlen, Greenwood; Mrs. Robert (Arvilla) Blunck, Union Grove; Mrs. Robert (Arlene) Stark, Neillsville and Mrs. Richard (Kathleen) Fitzl, Loyal.
NOAH, Emil and Marianna Golden Wedding 1975
On Aug. 23, 1975 Mr. and Mrs. Emil Noah of Greenwood celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary at the Greenwood American Legion Hall. They were married at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Braun on Dec. 17, 1925. Mr. Noah, the son of Adolph and Louisa, nee Hoehle, Noah was born in the town of Mead, Clark Co on May 1, 1897. He resided on this farm until his retirement six years ago, excpet while in service in World War I. He attended Benjamin School. Mrs. Noah (Marianna) is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Braun. She was born in the town of Reseberg, Clark Co., the 28th of (Copy was cut off) Settlement School and in 1919 moved to Greenwood with her parents and attended the Greenwood High School from which she graduated in 1923, attended Wisconsin Buisness University at LaCrosse, and later was employed in Milwaukee. She was a 4-H leader for 13 years, a member of the West Side Homemakers for nearly 40 years, and still has crafts as a hobby, mainly the piecing of quilt tops. Mr. and Mrs. Noah are both members of Immanuel United Church of Christ, where Mr. Noah was a consistory member for many years, and Mrs. Noah served as president and sunshine secretary for several years on the Guild. They are the parents of ten children, Frederick, Hawthorne, Ca., Norman, Occonto, Wis., Mrs. Orville (Evelyn) Hoffman, Milwaukee, Mrs. Wilton (Bernelda) Karlen, Owen, Herbert, Greenwood, Mrs. Robert (Arvilla) Blunck Union Grove Wis., (Copy was cut off) All the children and grandchildren except one plus the three great-grandchildren were present for the occasion. Mr. and Mrs. Noah were greeted by about 190 guests, many from out of town.
Kraut, Emma Martha nee NOAH (26 Nov 1907 - 23 April 1940)
Mrs. Richard Kraut, nee Emma Noah, was born in the Town of Mead, Clark Co, Nov. 26, 1907. She spent her childhood in this community and later was employed at Milwaukee.
On Oct. 24, 1931 she was united in marriage to Richard Kraut at Kenilworth, Ill. They later resided at Wilmett and Winnetka, Ill. In July 1939 they left for German, residing at Braunschweig and Bleiburg. On April 23, 1940 she passed to her reward from complications unable to be solved. She was laid to rest in Bleiburg. Besides her husband she is survived by her infant son, Richard Jr, one week old and a daughter Gretchen, four years old, her aged mother, Mrs. A. H. Noah, four sisters, Mrs. Clara Wendt of Owen; Mrs. Alvina Peters, Milwaukee; Mrs. Selma Hollman, Grafton; Mrs. Bertha Schwarze, Greenwood, four brothers, Calvin of Baxter, Iowa; Albert of Sidney, Mont.; Oscar of Alma and Emil in Greenwood. She was a member of Immanuel Reformed Church of Greenwood until her death. Private memory services were held for her at the Emil Noah home on June 2, 1940. They were read by Rev. P. H. Franzmeier in both the English and German language with members of the immediate family being present at the time.
1905 #37 Noah, Simmon Head W M 38 M Germany Germany Farmer 9 O M F Mathilde Wife W F 30 M Wisconsin Germany House Keeper Hugo Son W M 9 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger Eddie Son W M 7 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger Arthur Son W M 5 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger Herman Son W M 3 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger Lena Daughter W F 1 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger Charolette Mother W F 78 W Germany Germany
NOAH, Simon Henry (10 Oct. 1866 - 23 May 1942)
Simon Henry Noah, 76, was born near Berlin, Germany, on Oct. 10, 1866, and came to Sheboygan with his parents (Johannes Frederich Ludwig Noah and Louisa Charolote Strate Noah) when a small child. A few years later his parents moved to a farm west of Greenwood, where he grew to manhood, and on June 19, 1896, he was married to Mathilda Pagenkopf at Neillsville. They lived near Greenwood for a number of years, coming to Loyal 33 years ago. Twenty-seven years ago thay bought their present home. Mr Noah was a railroad worker for many years. Mr. Noah died at his home in the village of a heart ailment. Although he had been in poor health for over a year he had been confined to his bed for only a week immediately previous to his death. He is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Horward (Lena) Corey of Greenwood and Mrs. Everett (Martha) Nelson of Venice, Cal., and seven sons, Edwin of Janesville, Arthur of Willard, Herman of Loyal, George and Rudolph of Milwaukee, William of Oshkosh and Alvin of Minneapolis. One son, Hugo, died in 1920. A brother, August Noah of Greenwood, also survives. Funeral services were conducted at Nichols' Funeral Home. Burial was made in the Loyal Cemetery. Among the relatives from away who attended the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Noah of Janesville; Mr. and Mrs. George Noah and Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph Noah of Milwaukee; Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Noah and Mr. Sollie and son of Willard; Mr. and Mrs. William Noah of Oshkosh; Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Noah and daughter of Minneapolis; Mrs. Howard Corey, Mr. and Mrs. Emil Noah and children, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Schwartz and children, Mr. and Mrs. Otto Fravert and children, Mr. and Mrs. Art Humke and Mrs. Chal Perkins of Greenwood; Mr. and Mrs. Herman Pagenkopf and son, John Pagenkopf, Alvin Pagenkopf and Mrs. Ernest Jonkel of Neillsville; Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Frantz and children and Mr. and Mrs. John Wendt of Owen.
NOAH, Hugo (23 Nov 1895 - 22 Jan 1920)
Sergeant Hugo Herman John Noah, oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Simon Noah, was born Nov. 23, 1895 at Neillsville, Clark Co, Wis. Later he moved with his parents to Greenwood, where they resided for twelve years. He was confirmed at Neillsville April 4, 1909, at St. John's Church. After that he moved with his parents of Loyal, where he lived until he enlisted in the United States Marines at Minneapolis, Minn. From here he went to San Francisco, Cal., where he stayed for some time and then went to Philadelphia, Pa. He stayed in the East until he went to France in the fall of 1918 and returned Aug. 1919 and went to Quantico, Va. He made his last visit home, Sept. 10, 1919 and left here Oct. 6, 1919. He then went to the Haiti Islands, where he died of gun shot wounds Jan. 22, 1920.
Had he lived until Feb. 2nd he would have been in service 4 years. Besides his father and mother he leaves to mourn his loss 7 brothers, Edward, Arthur, Herman, George, Willie, Alvin and Rudolph, and two sisters, Lena and Martha.
WW1 Gold Star, Marines: Noah, Hugo Herman Sgt, 63rd Co, Brig. HQ Accidental gunshot, Jan 22, 1920
NOAH, Lee marriage 25 JUL 1927
A marriage, which has been kept a secret for several months, occurred at Wabasha, Minn., July 25. The principals were Mr. Howard Corey and Miss Lee Noah. The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Corey who reside on a farm southeast of this city. During the past few years he has been employed at the Midway Garage. The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Simon Noah of Loyal and for several years has been teaching school in this vicinity. At present she is teaching at the Oakland school northwest of Greenwood.
NOAH, Edwin J. (19 June 1898 - 27 April 1970)
*Death date taken from the California Death Index 1940 - 1997.
Edwin J. Noah, 71, of Oildale, Calif., a former Janesville resident, died this week in an Oildale nursing home after having been in failing health for several years. Services were in Hillcrest Mortuary, Bakersfield, Calif., and burial was in Hillcrest Cemetery there. He was born in Clark Co June 19, 1898 son of Mr. and Mrs. Simon Noah, and was married to Nina Elizabeth Vine, June 20, 1921, in Greenwood, Wis. They farmed in that area and in the Brodhead and Albany areas until moving to Janesville where he was employed at the General Motors plant until retiring and moving to Oildale. Survivors include his wife; two daughters, Mrs. William Orr and Mrs. Willard Oaks.
NOAH, Howard Erwin (7 Aug 1941 - 25 Aug 1941)
Howard Erwin Noah, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Emil Noah, passed way at the home of his parent in the Town of Mead, Clark Co Aug. 25, 1941. (Died Aug 21 per cemetery records). He is survived by his parents, four brothers and four sisters. A solemn prayer was said at the home and the body was laid to rest in the West Side Cemetery.
NOAH, Donald (11 Nov 1940 - 13 June 1944)
Donald Noah, 4 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Art Noah, residing 6 miles northwest of Greenwood was accidentally killed on June 13, 1944 by his brother Ronald, 9 years old.
The accident occurred in the home when Ronald climbed on the bed and reached a 30-30 Winchester repeating rifle hanging in a case on the wall and who got a bullet from a box on the shelf.
He then pulled the trigger to see what would happen and struck his brother in the head. The hollow nosed missile went through the top of the brother's head, literally blowing it off, then through the rocking chair and lodged in the wall. Another brother, James 6, ran and told the mother, who was planting cabbage in the garden, she in turn summoned the father who is employed at the Fred Laabs Cheese Factory. Tony Schiller was then notified and in turn summoned Herbert L. Brown, Coroner of Neillsville. No inquest was held.
Donald was born on Nov. 11, 1940 in the town of Mead, and is survived by his parents, three sisters, Dorothy 10, Mary Jane 7, and Sandra 2 months old; three brothers, Ronald 9, James 5, and Richard 3, his grandmother Mrs. Simon (Mathilda) Noah of Loyal and grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Paul Sarek of Willard. Funeral services were held at the Schiller Undertaking Parlors and at the West Side Reformed Church.
NOAH, Betty nee Counsell (18 Oct. 1939 - 13 Jan. 1999)
Betty Noah, age 59, of Neillsville, died January 13, 1999 at St. Joseph's Hospice Care Unit in Marshfield. Betty was born on Oct. 18, 1939 in Neillsville, to John and Henrietta "Hattie" (Wilke) Counsell. She graduated from Neillsville High School in 1957 and then worked in the banking business in the Neillsville area for 35 years. She was a former member of the Neillsville Woman's Bowling Association and a former member of the Business and Professional Women's Organization. Surviving Betty are her husband, Ronald (son of Arthur); one daughter, Dawn Emer; one son, Jason Noah; one granddaughter, Amanda Kay Noah; one brother, Jack (Joan) Counsell; a niece, Laura (Jerry) Chubb, and a great-nephew, Jerry "J.J." Chubb of Neillsville. Preceding her in death are her parents. Private family services for Betty Noah were held at Gesche Funeral Home.
NOAH, Carol Sue nee Duesman (25 April 1943 - 21 Oct 2003)
Carol Sue Noah, 60, Owen, Oct. 21, 2003, at her home. There will be no funeral services.
Carol Sue was born April 25, 1943, in Oklahoma, to F.I. Duesman and Pearl Green. She graduated from Duncan High School in 1961. Survivors include her husband, Verlan (son of Emil) Noah, Owen, and two sons, Rick Noah and Randy Noah, both of Duncan, Okla.
Memorials may be given in her name to the Clark County Health Care Center, Owen
NOAH, Joanne E. nee Franzmeier (17 Feb 1946 - 18 Nov 2002)
Joanne E. Noah, 56, formerly of Greenwood, died Nov. 18, 2002, at Rocky Knoll Health Care Facility, following a 30-year struggle with Multiple Sclerosis. A memorial service was at the Greenwood American Legion Hall. Joanne E. Franzmeier was born on Feb. 17, 1946, in St. Paul, Minn., to Alvin and Thelma (nee Turpen) Franzmeier. She graduated from high school in St. Paul. She married Elmer Noah on Nov. 27, 1965. They spent most of their married life in the Greenwood area. She was a member of the Immanuel United Church of Christ, Greenwood. In 1993, she moved to Plymouth to live with her daughter. She became a resident of Rocky Knoll Health Care Facility in 1998. Survivors include two daughters, Michelle (Daniel) Holm, Port Washington, and Jodi (Ken) Kitzhaber,
Greenwood; two sons, Jason Noah, Greenwood, and Brad Noah, Green Bay; one sister, Elaine Schwanz, Lansing, Mich.; one brother, Alvin (Sylvia) Franzmeier, Spring, Texas.
OLSON family, Warner township
Note: Warner township was created from Eaton township on Nov 14, 1874. There seems to have been some confusion as to which township census takers counted those living on borderlines. Some farms where split between the two townships. The 1875 census for Eaton township includes Ole Oleson housing a mill crew and batchlers, 3 male and 3 female residents, names and relationships not detailed on that census. Ole Olson had property in Eaton sec 2 with the home situated near the dividing line road. Ole Johnson's "Rock Creek" farm adjoined Ole Olson's farm to the south. At this time, Nov 2007, the 1900 and 1905 census for Eaton township has not been completed, so there is not a way to verify the following as to relationships. (They are not on the 1905 Warner township census.) Also, many parcels were purchased in the name of the wife and/or children for reasons that made sense in that day and age, especially for the foreign born settlers. Lastly, note that Oleson evolved into Olson for many of the same named families.
"...Louis Rossman, P. M. Stevens, Dr. H. J. Thomas, the first doctor; H. W. Varney, Ole Peterson, Frederick Buker, Ole Oleson, Simon Johnson, Ole Johnson came in 1873...." The Hub of Clark Co., 1853-1934, chapter 11
1893 sec 25 no residence J. Olson (1906 owned by Martha Johnson, related to Johanna nee Johnson Olson?)
1906-1926 sec 36 no residence And. Olson (Andrew Olson, son of Ole and Johanna Olson?)
1906-1926 sec 13 no residence J. M. Oleson (John Martin Olson, son of Ole and Johanna Olson?)
1906-1926 sec 13 no residence H. O. Oleson (Henry Olson, son of Ole and Johanna Olson?)
OLSON, Ole A. (14 April 1837 - 25 July 1926)
Ole A. Olson was born near Trondhjem, Norway, April 14, 1837. He died July 25, 1926, having reached the age of 89 years, 3 months and 12 days. In the year of 1867 he was united in marriage to Johanna Johnson (born 1839, died 15 April 1891, daughter of Johannas and Andria nee Simonson Olson). They came to America in 1868, settling at Black River Falls. In 1874 they moved to Greenwood and settled on a piece of land that they cleared and made into a large farm. His wife died in 1891. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Olson, 3 sons and 1 daughter. They are Andrew, John, Henry and Miss Marie Olson all residing in this vicinity. He also leaves 1 sister, Mrs. Martha Thomson of Minneapolis. Deceased was one of the pioneer residents of this vicinity having resided here for 52 years (since c1874). Funeral services were held from the United Lutheran Church of this city. The body was laid to rest in the Greenwood cemetery.
OLSON, Andrew (15 May 1867 - 22 Aug 1943)
Andrew Olson, 76, a resident of Greenwood for more than 70 years, died Aug. 22, 1943 at his home, a mile east of Greenwood, following a long illness. He had suffered a heart attack last winter and had been in poor health since that time. Mr. Olson, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Ole (Johanna nee Johnson) Olson, was born in Trondhjem, Norway, May 15, 1867 and came to the United States with his parents when he was a year old. The family lived in Black River Falls for five years, and when Andrew Olson was six (c1873) they moved to the present Olson farm. Funeral services for Mr. Olson, a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and United Lutheran Church will be held at the Olson home and at the United Lutheran Church. Interment was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. (Original transcriber note: "The rest of my copy was cut off")
OLSON, Maria Ceclia (5 April 1882 - 2 March 1957)
Miss Maria Cecelia Olson, 74, a lifelong resident of this Greenwood, died March 2, 1957, at St. Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield. Funeral services were at Our Savior's Lutheran Church. Burial was in the parish cemetery (buried Greenwood cemetery). Miss Olson, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Ole (Johanna nee Johnson) Olson, was born in the Town of Eaton April 5, 1882, and lived on the home farm for 63 years. She moved to Greenwood 11 years ago. She is survived by one brother, Henry, Greenwood. Two brothers, John and Andrew, who had farmed the home place, preceded her in death in 1941 and 1943, respectively.
OLSON, John Martin (22 Aug 1875 - 19 Jan 1941)
John Martin Olson, son of Ole Olson and Johanna nee Johnson was born Aug 22, 1875 on the home place one mile east of Greenwood, in the Town of Warner, where he resided all his life except two years at Neenah. He attended school in Greenwood. On Dec. 10, 1910 he was married to Thora Bragstad at Neenah, Wis. She preceded him in death April 5, 1919. To this union were born one daughter, Mrs. Ralph (Eleanor) Ystad of Neillsville, Oscar and Melvin. Mr. Olson passed away at St. Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield Jan. 19, 1941 of heart trouble and flu complications. He is survived by the above named children two brothers, Andrew and Henry and one sister, Marie Olson, an aged mother-in-law, Maren Bragstad, all of the Town of Warner six grandsons, Norman, Norbert and Noel Olson Neil, Ronald and Roger Ystad. Funeral services were held from the Schiller Funeral Parlors and from the Trondhjem Lutheran Church. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. [Melvin Olson, son of John and Tora Olson, born 22 Aug 1918, died 18 Dec 1999, buried Greenwood Cemetery, not married? no obit]
OLSON, Thora nee Bragstad (1885 - 17 April 1919)
Miss Thora Olson was born (of John and Maren nee Jensen Bragstad) in Trondhjem, Norway, and came here with her mother about 17 years ago and located at Neenah, Wis., where she remained until her marriage. In 1910 she was married to John Olson, living 6 miles (? Would be on Longwood-Warner township line) northeast of Greenwood in the Town of Warner, Clark Co. To this union were born three children, namely Elenor, Oscar and Melvin, who with the father are left to mourn. She also leaves one brother, Ole Bragstad of Oshkosh, Wis., and mother Mrs. Marion Bragstad. She passed away April 17, 1919, at Mendota, Wis., with pneumonia. The body was brought here and the funeral held from the Norwegian Lutheran Church, interment was made in the Greenwood Cemetery.
OLSON, Oscar (11 July 1913 - 25 Feb 1983)
Oscar Olson, 69, Route 1, Loyal, Town of Beaver, died Feb. 25, 1983, at Memorial Hospital, Neillsville. Funeral services were at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Greenwood, and burial was in the Greenwood Cemetery. Serving as pallbearers were grandsons, Tom, Richard, Robert, Joel, Timothy and Patrick Olson. Oscar Olson was born on July 11, 1913, at Greenwood, Town of Warner, to Mr. and Mrs. John (Johanna nee Johnson) Olson. He received his education at Greenwood Schools. He and Ermina Simmons were married on Oct. 16, 1936, at Montana. After their marriage, they farmed in the Town of York for five years, then in the Town of Loyal. Surviving him are his wife five sons, Norman of New Berlin, Norbert of Cudahy, and Noel, Donald and Dennis, all of Loyal one brother, Melvin of Greenwood one sister, Mrs. Ralph (Eleanore) Ystad of Greenwood.
OLSON, Ermina G. nee Simmons (8 Nov 1917 - 24 Sept 2003)
Ermina G Simmons was born Nov. 8, 1917, in Helena MT to Everett and Melissa (Fryte) Simmons. She was raised and educated in Montana. She married Oscar Olson on Oct. 16, 1936, in Billings, MT. They lived in Montana for a few years before moving to Loyal, where they farmed in the Heintown (near Loyal)area until 1943. Then they moved north of Loyal, where they farmed until retirement. She worked for Miller Cheese Factory and later at the Memorial Nursing Home, Neillsville, as a CNA. Her husband died Feb. 26, 1983. In 1984, she moved into Loyal and resided there until the time of her death. Surviving are five sons, Norman (Helen) Olson, New Berlin; Norbert (Helen) Olson, Franklin; Noel (Maryanne) Olson, Loyal; Donald (Shirley) Olson; Loyal, Dennis (Judy) Olson, Greenwood; and one brother Pete (Mary) Simmons, Billings MT. Preceding Ermina in death are her parents; her husband, Oscar; one grandson, Paul; two sisters, Edith and Esther; and two brothers, Grant and Herbert Simmons. Funeral services were held at Trinity Lutheran Church, Loyal. Burial was in the Greenwood City Cemetery. Pallbearers were Pat, Ben, Tom, Mike, Joel, Todd Olson and Robert Olson, an honorary pallbearer.
OLSON, Henry (10 Aug 1878 - 3 Jan 1969)
Funeral services were held at Our Savior's Lutheran Church for Henry Olson, a lifelong resident of Greenwood, who died Jan. 3, 1969, at the home of his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Turnquist, following a stroke. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mr. Olson was born (to Ole and Johanna nee Johnson Olson) Aug. 10, 1878, at Greenwood and was married there June 27, 1906 to Eleanora Soefker, who preceded him in death June 12, 1958. The couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1956. Following their marriage the couple operated a farm northeast of Greenwood until the fall of 1948, when they retired and moved to the city of Greenwood. Mr. Olson had served as school treasurer and supervisor of the Town of Warner. Since the death of his wife he has made his home with his children. Survivors include four daughters, Mrs. Sophie Crowley, Chippewa Falls; Mrs. Arthur (Leona) Turnquist, Mrs. Carl (Evelyn) Turnquist, Mrs. Orville (Lucille) Oswald, all of Greenwood and two sons, Leo and Daniel, also of Greenwood. In addition to his wife he was preceded in death by a daughter (Selma), two brothers and a sister.
OLSON, Ellenora Sophie nee Soefker (24 Sep 1874 - 11 June 1958)
Ellenora Sophie Olson, was born Sep 24, 1874 in Sheboygan Co, Wis, daughter of the late Frederick and Caroline Soefker and was baptized on March 14, 1875 at the West Side Reformed church, Greenwood. She was united in marriage to Henry Olson on June 27, 1906. They resided on their from 5 miles northeast of Greenwood until 1949, moving to their present home, where she passed away on the evening of June 11, 1958. Besides her husband, she leaves four daughters and two sons; Mrs. Sophie Crowley, Chippewa Falls; Leo on the home farm; Mrs. Art (Leona) Turnquist, Mrs. Carl (Evelyn) Turnquist, Daniel and Mrs. Orville (Lucille) Oswald, all of Greenwood, one sister, Mrs. Mary Herzog, Plymouth, Wis. She was preceded in death by one daughter, Selma, her parents, two sisters and six brothers. They celebrated their Golden Wedding on June 27, 1956 at Our Saviors Lutheran Church parlors. Funeral Services were held at Our Savior's Lutheran church. Burial was made in the Greenwood cemetery.
OLSON, Selma Johanna (22 Mar 1907 - 18 Dec 1919)
Selma Johanna, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Olson, was born on the home farm near Greenwood, March 22, 1907. She passed away in death December 18, 1919 at the age of 12 years, 8 months and 26 days, the cause of her death being pneumonia. Funeral services were held at the United Lutheran Church. The body was laid to rest in the Greenwood cemetery. Her parents, four sisters and two brothers survive her.
OLSON, Marie nee Baron (28 Feb 1907 - 22 June 1945)
Mrs. Leo Olson, 38, a resident of Greenwood, died June 22, 1945 at Bradley Memorial Hospital, Madison, where she was a patient the past week. She had been in poor health all winter. Funeral services will be held at the Leo Olson home followed by a service at Trondhjem Lutheran Church. Interment was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mrs. Olson, the former Marie Baron, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Baron, was born in Thorp, Taylor (now Clark) Co Feb. 28, 1907. The family moved to Chicago and then to Greenwood, returning to Chicago several years later. Her marriage to Leo Olson (son of Henry and Eleanor nee Soefker Olson) took place Dec 27, 1929, in Chicago, where they lived for a year before coming to Greenwood to make their home on the present Olson farm, 4 miles northeast of Greenwood. Surviving are her husband and three sons, Leonard, 16, Delmond, 11, and Rodger, 4. Also surviving are her mother, Mrs. Andrew Baron, two married sisters in Chicago, Elsie and Violet and her brother, Walter, Chicago. Her father and a sister, May, preceded her in death. (Leo Olson next m. Francis Abbot)
OLSON, Francis E. nee Abbott (31 Jan 1929 -15 Nov 2003)
Frances E. Olson, age 74, of Marshfield, formerly of Greenwood, died Nov. 15, at the House of the Dove in Marshfield. Frances Edith Abbott was born on Jan. 31, 1929 in Martinas, Calif the daughter of William and Edith (Pierce) Abbott. As a young girl, she moved with her family to the Neillsville area, where she was raised and received her education. During the summers, Frances' family often traveled to North Dakota to work in the harvest fields. On Aug. 16, 1947 Frances was united in marriage (as 2nd wife) to Leo H. Olson. They farmed in Greenwood, where Frances was a farm wife and bussed children for the Hemlock school. They farmed until 1976, and then sold the farm and moved to Mead Lake. She and her husband were groundskeepers for the Mead Lake campground for several years. Frances moved to Greenwood in 1993 after her husband entered the Colonial Home in Colby. She resided in Greenwood until 2000, at which time she moved to Marshfield to live with her daughter Sharon. Her husband, Leo, died on Aug. 2, 2001. Frances was a member of Our Savior's Lutheran Church in Greenwood, and enjoyed fishing, traveling, yard work, and puzzles. She will be sadly missed by two children; Dale (Debbie) Olson of Abbotsford; Sharon (Jeff) Piller of Marshfield; two stepsons, Delmond (Karen) Olson of Thorp; Roger (Guadalupe) Olson of Gallup, New Mexico; one stepdaughter-in-law, May Olson of Greenwood; one step-brother, Art Longway of the Mich. Upper Peninsula; and one sister-in-law, Alice Abbot of Marshfield. Preceding her in death were her parents; her husband, Leo; one stepson, Leonard Olson, on Aug. 15, 2003; and one brother, William Abbott. There will be private graveside services held in the Greenwood City Cemetery. [Leo Henry Olson, son of Henry and Eleanor Soefker Olson, was born 26 Oct 1909 and died 2 Aug 2001, buried Greenwood Cemetery.]
OLSON, Daniel (6 July 1914 - 28 Nov 1987)
Daniel Olson, 73, Greenwood died Nov. 28, 1987 at St. Joseph's Hospice Unit, Marshfield. Services were held at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Greenwood. Burial was in the Greenwood Cemetery. Pallbearers were grandsons, Jeff Olson, Travis Olson, Chad Olson, Andy Nielsen, Chet Turnquist and Dennis Wendt. Honorary pallbearers will be members of the dart ball team. Daniel Olson was born July 6, 1914 to Henry and Eleanor (nee Soefker) Olson. He received his education at Greenwood High School. On June 3, 1942 he was married to Alice Wendt in Greenwood. She survives. After their marriage they farmed in the town of Warner and Beaver until 1974. In 1985 they moved to the city of Greenwood. He was a member of Our Savior's Lutheran Church and a member of their dart ball team. He was also an avid sportsman. Survivors include his wife, three sons, Gerald, Burnsville, Minn.; Duane, Greenwood and Richard, Holmen; two daughters, Mrs. Wayne (Diane) Nielsen, Greenwood and Mrs. Kenneth (Sandy) Shields, Mesquite, Tex. one brother, Leo Olson, Greenwood four sisters, Mrs. Sophia Crowley, Chipperwa Falls; Mrs. Leona Turnquist, Greenwood; Mrs. David (Evelyn) Danielson, Greenwood and Mrs. Oville (Lucille) Oswald, Rarshfield. He was preceded in death by his parents and one sister.
O'NEILL & BUSSELL, Warner township
1880 sec 11 no residence O'Neill & Bussell; 1893 sec 11 no residence J. O'Neill (1906 Stephen Moore)
James O'Neill (1847-1929,
James O'Neill (1847-1929, son of Andrew and Mary nee Holiston O'Neill), nephew of James O'Neill Sr. (1810-1882, son of Andrew and Jane nee Armstrong ‘Neill) James O'Neill was b 3 Sept. 1847 in Lisbon, St.. Lawrence Co. NY to Andrew O'Neill and Mary (Holliston) O'Neill. At age 16 he entered St Lawrence University at Canton, NY and studied there for three years, dropping out occasionally to teach school and earn money to continue his studies. While at the University he was editor of the Cornell Era for a year and he was a member of Delta Upsilon fraternity. In 1868 he entered Cornell University as a sophomore and he graduated in June 1871. Entering the Albany law school in 1872 he graduated in 1873 and came to Wisconsin In September following a visit to his uncle James O'Neill at Neillsville, WI who was its' first settler. At the earnest solicitation of his uncle he decided to make Neillsville his home and he opened an office for the practice of law. H.W. Sheldon was his first partner from 1877 -1879. He then worked alone until 1890 when Spencer M. Marsh became his partner under the firm name of O'Neill & Marsh... He married 6 June 1876 to Marian Robinson of Neillsville, WI and they had two children Ernest and Marian. Ernest d 5 Oct 1905 at age 28 and Marian became the wife of F.D. Calway of Neillsville, WI. Marian Robinson O'Neill came to Clark County with her parents in Jan. 1859. She was twenty months old.
C. E. BUSSELL, surveyor and real estate, Neillsville. Born in Franklin Co.. Maine, Dec. 11, 1850. He attended. Holton Seminary in 1871, and learned engineering; came to Neillsville, May xi, 1874, and was elected County Surveyor, which office he held from 1875 to 1879. He is now examiner of lands, and has issued a fine map of Clark County; was employed in getting up the map of LaCrosse, and is now making preparations for mapping all the northern part of the State of Wisconsin. 1881 History
OSTROM family, Warner township
1880sec 34 no residence J. B. Ostrom (1893 H. F. Kerns)
September 10, 1871:Jerome P. Ostrom married Emma Martindale
Old Timer's Warner-Longwood Townships Mail Route Letter Published in the Greenwood Gleaner, Nov. 24, 1938: "...First I cross Black River on the new Forty Seven Thousand Dollar Bridge. Its at the southeast corner of the the old Moses Bab place.
Then I go N. & E. pass the Charley Carpenter place and where Jerom Ostrom lived to the Fred Decker corner where Herman Schwarze had his Blacksmith Shop, two miles S. to our old place...."
Died, at Longwood, Feb. 15th, 1882, Mr. Rolly Martindale, aged 20 years (born c 1862). He made his home with his sister, Mrs. Demouth (Cordelia nee Martindale 1834- 1923), of Christie. The funeral took place from the residence of his sister.
Moreau, Cpl. Jerome Dale (23 Aug 1949 - 6 June 1969) Those from out of town attending included: ...Mr. and Mrs. Manford Ostrom, Art Ostrom, Dale Ostrom and Donna Ostrom of New Brighton, MN....
No further info on Ostrom, no CC death or burial records. Emma nee Martindale Ostrom probably related to Rolly and Cordelia nee Martindale Demouth.
OWEN, J.S. Lbr Co., Warner township
1906 sec 11, 12, 14 no residence J. S. Owen Lbr Co (1915 all owned by many individuals)
OWEN, John S. (1 May 1849 - 20 June 1939)
John S. Owen, 90, one of the last survivors of the group of pioneer lumbermen of Eau Claire and one of the most widely known lumber operators in the north and middle west, died at his home, 907 Porter Avenue (Eau Claire). Death came after an illness of two weeks. His health had been poor, however, for the past year or two. The funeral was held from Christ Episcopal Church. Interment was at Forest Hill Cemetery. John S. Owen had been closely identified with the growth and progress of industrial Eau Claire since he came here from Michigan in 1873. Owen Park, one of Eau Claire's most beautiful parks, was the gift of Mr. Owen to the City of Eau Claire some years ago, and unto the very last he had been interested in the development of the beauty spot as carried on by the city. He was born on May 1, 1849, at Clarkston, Mich. Before moving to Eau Claire in 1873 he was engaged in the wholesale grocery business at Saginaw, Mich., and also lumbering. After moving to Eau Claire he engaged for some years in logging operations. He was one of the group of Eau Claire lumbermen who started the Westville Lumber Co., and then the West Eau Claire Lumber Co., which operated a mill here. In 1882 he was one of the group that organized the Rust-Owen Lumber Co. which operated a sawmill at Drummond, Wis., until about ten years ago. In 1893 he organized the John S. Owen Lumber Co. of this city, which operated for virtually fifty years before it shut down about eight years ago. At the time of his death he was president of the John S. Owen Co. of Eau Claire.
He was one of the men instrumental in the organization of the Eau Claire Club, which erected the beautiful club building known for years as the Eau Claire Club and which is now the Elk's Club. A lover of baseball, as well as other sports, he was among those who organized and supported Eau Claire baseball clubs in the old Wisconsin-Illinois League and the Wisconsin-Minnesota (Minny) League, and was a familiar figure at the games of the Eau Claire Bears of the Northern League. Surviving are his widow, two sons, A.R. Owen, Ralph W. Owen of Eau Claire, a step-son, George B. Shaw of Eau Claire, three brothers, W.C. Owen of Pontiac, Mich., Edward A. Owen of Detroit, and James H. Owen of Medford, Ore., and a sister, Miss Gertner Owen of Saginaw, Mich. Mr. Owen was married twice. His first wife, who was Cora Mathilda Rust, whom he married in 1872, died in 1895. In 1899 he married Mrs. Josephine Betcher Shaw, widow of Congressman George B. Shaw.
OXFORD family, Warner township
See Green family of Warner township
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
Become a Clark County History Buff
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,
Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,