Warner Township Pioneers
LARK family, Warner township
1906 sec 14, 23 no residence John Lark (1915 = Hy Kepke and B. Lerch)
Nothing found in CC records on any John Lark.
LARSON families, Warner township
LARSON, Anthony family, Warner township
1875 census: Larson, Anthony 2 male (brother of Chris Larson)
1895 census, head of family: Anton Larson 5 male, 4 female
1905 #82 Larson, Anthony Head W M 62 Widower Norway Norway Farmer 4 O F Joseph Son W M 17 S Wisconsin Norway Farm Laborer 10 Larson, Lena Daughter W F 14 S Wisconsin Norway Severson, John Son in Law W M 24 M Norway Norway Farm Laborer 9 Edith Daughter W F 22 M Wisconsin Norway Verne Grandson W M 7 S Wisconsin Wis/Norway Ernest Grandson W M 3 S Wisconsin Wis/Norway Lilly Grand Daughter W F 1 S Wisconsin Wis/Norway
1880 sec 36 no residence A. Larson
1893 sec 36 residence A. Larson (1906 = W. Larson)
Anthony Larson of section 36, Warner Township, Clark Co, was born in Trondhjem, Norway, April 20, 1843, the son of Lars Anderson, a native of Christiana. The later was a laborer in a paper mill, also superintendent of the same, in Trondhjem. Anthony, in 1860, came to the United States, stopping first at Black River Falls, where he worked in a sawmill several years, and was also engaged in lumbering.
In 1868 he came to Clark Co and settled on his present homestead of eighty acres, forty of which is cleared. For his first residence he and his brother (Chris) carried the logs and built a round-log shanty, with a roof of basswood scraps, an ironwood pole chimney plastered with clay, and they used blocks of wood for chairs. The wild animals were very numerous at that time, and Mr. Larson once shot a deer through the window of his cabin, early one morning while the remainder of the family was asleep. He was married in January 1866, to Ingebor Haralson, and they had ten children, all of whom are now living (all living? Only eight are listed, missed John and one other son.): Matilda, Harry, Louise, Levis (s/b Louis), Ida (Edith), Helma, Joseph and Tina (a.k.a. "Tena"). Mr. Larson has worked in the pineries nearly every winter since coming to this county, and has also been engaged in logging for the past three winters on his own account. He has been Assessor of the town for the past six years was a member of the Town Board one year, and has been a Clerk of the School District ever since his district was organized. Religiously he is a member of the Lutheran Church socially, of the I.O.O.F. fraternity and politically a Republican. "Biographical History of Clark and Jackson Counties" 1891
...Robert McCalvey, Frank Pfeiffer, Anthony (1843 - 1920) and Chris Larson came in 1868. Chris Larson was a cabinetmaker, making spinning wheels, cabinets, scrool and bracket work. Some of his work can still be found in one of the older homes. Bob Grover was the first cabinet maker in Greenwood but did not remain long.... The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)
LARSON, Anthony (20 APR 1843 - 2 APR 1920)
After a brief illness Anthony Larson passed away in death at the Lutheran Hospital at Eau Claire, Wis., April 2, 1920. Deceased was born in Norway April 20, 1843 and was therefore 76 years, 11 months and 2 days old at the time of his death. He came to America when twenty years old and was united in marriage to Miss Engbar Harldson at Black River Falls in 1861. Ten Children were born to this union, five sons and five daughters. His wife (Engebor, b 1 Sep 1846, d 3 Oct 1893), one son (unnamed, died between 1901 and 1920) and one daughter (Louisa 1871-1901) preceded him in death. He leaves to mourn their loss, the following children, Harold (Harry) of Greenwood; Louis of Lander, Wash.; John of British Columbia; Joseph of Rib Lake, Wis.; Mrs. (Mathilda) Mike Hendrickson, Mrs. (Ida/Edith) John Severson, Mrs. Chas. (Tina/Tena) Rossman (should be "Rossow") and Mrs. Henry (Helma) Salzwedl, all of this vicinity. Funeral services were held from the M.E. Church. Burial was in the Greenwood Cemetery.
Woodkey, Louisa nee LARSON (3 June 1871 - 20 Aug 1901)
Louisa Barbara Woodkey was the fourth child of Anthony Larson and wife, and was born on the home farm northeast of town on June 3, 1871 and spent her life in this place. She was married about six years (1895) ago to E. J. (Should be F. J. for Fred J.) Woodkey, who with their only surviving son who bears his father's name, is left to mourn her early demise. For four years previous to her marriage she kept house for her father after her mother's death (in 1893). She is the first of a family of ten children to pass from earth. She was always considered of robust health until this spring when it was first feared that the dread consumption had take hold on her, and though her husband gave her the best care and medical attention possible, the disease rapidly accomplished its work of destruction. The remains were laid to rest in the Greenwood cemetery.
"...Later blacksmiths in town were Ira Barr, Fred Woodkey, Len Eastman, William Rossman, Albert Schwarze and Tony Barr. Schwarze and Barr each conduct a blacksmith shop here now...." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934) [No more found on this Woodkey family, all Woodkey except Louisa are buried in the Loyal Lutheran cemetery. No cemetery info on Fred J. Woodkey. Fred J. Woodkey on the 1895 Eaton census.]
Hendrickson, Mathilda nee LARSON (20 Sept 1865 - 7 June 1950)
Funeral services for Mrs. Matilda Hendrickson, 84, who died June 7, 1950 at St. Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield, were held in Schiller s Funeral Home, and in the United Lutheran Church. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mrs. Hendrickson, nee Larson (daughter of Anthony and Ingebor nee Haralson Larson) was born Sept 20, 1865, in Black River Falls. On Oct. 14, 1883 she married Michael Hendrickson in Greenwood, and until his death 13 years ago she lived on a farm 3 miles northeast of Greenwood. She had lived in the city of Greenwood since that time. Survivors include five daughters, Mrs. Sidney (Mila) Heidrick, and Mrs. Olaf (Mabel) Johnson, Greenwood; Mrs. Lee (Matilda) Appleford, Asotin, Wash. Mrs. Ollie Johnson, Wausau; Mrs. Joe (Lillian) Conrad, Chicago and two sons, Alfred, Asotin, Wash. and Clarence, Marshfield. A 2-year-old son, Orville, preceded her in death in 1908. Other survivors include two sisters, Mrs. Charles Rossow, Granton; Mrs. Helma Salzwedel, Asotin, Wash. and three brothers, Louis, John and Joseph, all living in the west.
Severson, Edith nee LARSON (29 Feb 1880 - 12 Jan 1938)
Edith Larson Severson was born (parents were Anthony and Ingebor nee Haralson Larson) on the old home farm near Greenwood, February 29, 1880, and at the age of 57 years, 10 months and 17 days. On January 12, 1938 at River Pines Sanatorium in Stevens Point, she passed away after a long illness. She was at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lillian Schmidt, who tenderly cared for her from April 1937 until December 29th, when she was taken to the sanatorium. In 1897 she was united in marriage to John Severson, who preceded her in death in April 1914. Eight children were born to this union, Vern of Greenwood Arnold of Phelps, Lillian (Mrs. Hans Schmidt) of Willard Elmer of Willard, Floyd of Prescott; Beatrice (Mrs. Frank Heinzen) of Shawano, and two sons, Arthur and Johnny who died in infancy. The funeral services were held at the Methodist Church in Greenwood. The pallbearers were six nephews, Lawrence Johnson, Clarence Hendrickson, Lawrence Larson and Walter Johnson. She was laid to rest in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mrs. Severson leaves to mourn her loss, besides her children, three sisters, Ms. Matilda Hendrickson, Mrs. Helma Salzwedel, Mrs. Tena Rossow and three brothers, Louie, John and Jacob (s/b Joseph) all of Washington. Those from away who attended the funeral were Arnold Severson and two daughters, Carol and Agnes of Phelps. Floyd Severson of Prescott, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Heinzen of Shawano, Mr. and Mrs Charley Rossow of Granton, Mrs. Helma Salzwedel and son, Lester of Marshfield, Mrs. S. Lyle of Loyal, Mrs. George Geire of Marshfield, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Tessmer and daughter of Spencer and Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Mess and daughter of Marshfield. [Note that the John Severson family is included on the 1905 Anthony Larson census, it is further detailed under "Severson"]
Salzwedel, Henry (22 Dec 1878 - 21 Apl 1936)
Henry Salzwedel, a life long resident of the Town of Beaver, died at the St. Joseph's Hospital at Marshfield where he was a patient only a few days with scarlet fever complicated by pneumonia. Henry Salzwedel was born December 22, 1878 in Dodge Co, Wisconsin. He was 58 years, 3 months and 23 days at the time of his death. At the age of six he came with his parents to Greenwood. He made his home on the farm in the Town of Beaver and followed the mason trade. On March 18, 1936 he had an auction and retired from the farm and moved to the city of Marshfield to live. On April 12, 1899 he was married to Miss Helma Larson (daughter of Anthony and Ingebor nee Haralson Larson). To this union was born seven children. He is survived by his widow and his seven children which are Mrs. Elsie Brown, Mrs., George Gerl and Mrs. Lawrence Mess all of Marshfield; Mrs. Arthur Hendrickson of Greenwood; Ira Salzwedel, Willard; Mrs. Walter Johnson of Greenwood, and Lester at home. Three sisters also survive, namely Mrs. Herman Vandehey, Appleton; Mrs. Charles Cummings, Tomahawk, and Mrs. Otto Rossow of Loyal. His parents, one brother and two sisters preceded him in death.
1905 #84 Larson, Harry Head W M 26 M Wisconsin Norway Farmer 8 O F Anna Wife W F 24 M Norway Norway House Keeper Lawrence son W M 3 S Wisconsin Wis/Norway Norman son W M 11/12 S Wisconsin Wis/Norway
1906 sec 36 residence H. Larson (1915 = J. A. Sheets)
LARSON, Harold (c1879 - 6 MAY 1923)
Harry Larson (son of Anthony and Ingebor nee Haralson Larson), a well-known and highly respected farmer residing about 2 ½ miles northeast of Greenwood, died very suddenly last Sunday afternoon. At about nine o'clock Sunday morning Albert Rossow, Otto Luder and Fred Duval, the latter two from Manville, came to the Larson home and persuaded Mr. Larson to go fishing with them. They had a number of quarts of moonshine in their car and before leaving each took several drinks. Upon reaching the river all but Larson got out to go fishing. The moonshine having made Larson sick, he stayed in the car. At about three o'clock that afternoon Rossow, Luder and Duvall returned to the car and found Larson lying on the ground. They picked him up and put him in the car and started for his home, but before arriving there they changed their mind and brought him to Greenwood to see a doctor. Before arriving at the Dr.'s office he had died. The body was taken to the Bishop undertaking parlors, where on Monday an inquest was held. The inquest was adjourned to the Volk hall, where Albert Rossow presented his side of the story, the other two, Luder and Duvall not being present. The inquest was adjourned until a later date. On Tuesday a part of the dead mans body was sent to Madison for examination. Mr. Larson was a man of about fifty years of age and was a leader in his community. He was not a drinking man, but one who was well liked by all. He leaves his wife and several children to mourn his loss. Funeral services were held from the home this. The case is drawing statewide attention and undoubtedly the party that made or furnished the moonshine will be apprehended.
LARSON, Anna Marie nee Aalbu (6 May 1881 - 5 April 1956)
Funeral rites were at Our Savior's Lutheran Church for Mrs. Anna Marie Larson, 74, who died April 5, 1956, at Memorial Hospital, Neillsville, where she had been hospitalized since suffering a stroke. The Trinity Lutheran Church, Loyal, conducted the services, with burial following in the Greenwood Cemetery. A native of Trondhjem, Norway, Mrs. Larson was born Anna Marie Aalbu May 6, 1881. She came with her parents to Chicago when she was five years old and two years later the family moved to the Town of Warner, north of Greenwood where she had resided since. Her marriage to Harold Larson took place June 6, 1897, at Neillsville. He died in 1924 (should be 1923). She is survived by seven children, Laurence, Norman, Mabel and Lloyd, all at home, Lee of Loyal, Mrs. Palmer (Elizabeth) Kolo and Mrs. Nora Zingle, both of Milwaukee. She was preceded in death by two infant children, two sisters and one brother, as well as by her husband.
LARSON, Lawrence H. (29 Oct 1901 -13 April 1984)
Lawrence H. Larson, 82, of Route 1, Greenwood, Town of Warner, died April 13, 1984, at his home. Funeral services were at Trinity Lutheran Church, Greenwood. Burial was in the Greenwood Cemetery. Lawrence Larson was born to Harry and Anna (nee Aalbu) Larson on Oct. 29, 1901, in the Town of Warner. He attended rural Greenwood schools. He worked in a logging camp as a young man. After his military service, he farmed all his life in the Town of Warner. He worked in the harvest fields in North and South Dakota. He was never married. Full military rites were conducted by the Greenwood American Legion. He was a World War II veteran and a member of the Greenwood American Legion. He is survived by two brothers, Norman of Memorial Home, Neillsville and Lee of Milwaukee and one sister, Mrs. Betty Awe of Greenwood.
LARSON, Norman (4 Jun 1904 - 29 Jan 1985)
Funeral services were held at Our Savior's Lutheran Church for Norman Larson, 80, formerly of Greenwood, but residing at the Neillsville Home for the past 15 years. He died Jan. 29, 1985 at the Neillsville Memorial Hospital. Burial was in the Greenwood Cemetery. He was born June 4, 1904 in the Town of Warner to Harry and Anna (nee Aalbu) Larson. He received his education in Christopherson School. As a young man he farmed and worked in the harvest fields out west. He farmed most of his life in the Town of Warner. He never married. He is survived by one sister, Mrs. Betty Awe, Greenwood and one brother, Lee Larson, Milwaukee. He was preceded in death by his parents, two sisters and two brothers.
LARSON, Mabel Luella (19 Feb 1910 - 17 May 1970)
Funeral services were held at Our Savior Lutheran Church for Mabel Luella Larson, 60, a lifelong resident of the Greenwood community, who died May 17, 1970 at the Neillsville Memorial Hospital, where she was admitted on April 26. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mabel L. Larson was born (of Harold and Anna nee Aalbu Larson) Feb. 19, 1910, at Marshfield and had lived here (Greenwood) her entire life. Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. Mona Nord, Carmichael, Calif., two sisters, Mrs. Betty Kolbo, Greenwood; Mrs. Nora Hagen, Owen and three brothers, Lee Larson, West Allis and Lawrence and Norman of Greenwood. She was preceded in death by a brother.
AWE, Elizabeth nee LARSON (26 Sep 1916 - 30 Oct 2006)
Elizabeth "Betty" Awe, 90, Greenwood, died at the Clark Co Health Care Center on Oct. 30, 2006. Services held at Cuddie Funeral Home, Greenwood, and interment took place in the Greenwood Cemetery. Elizabeth Larson was born on Sept. 26, 1916, in the town of Warner, to Harold and Anna (nee Aalbu) Larson.
She was raised on her family's farm and received her education at the Christopherson School. She married Andrew Szymanski in April 1937. They later divorced. She married Palmer Kolbo in 1946 and they lived in Sparta. They later divorced and she moved to Loyal in 1966. She was a homemaker and farm wife most of her life and also worked at the Loyal Cannery and Figi's for a short time. She married Herman Awe in June 1969 in Winona, Minn. He died in 1988. She was a Gray Lady volunteer at Neillsville Memorial Hospital for many years. She resided in Greenwood until her death. Survivors include one daughter, Marganne (Harry) Lemmar, West Allis; two sons, Gene (Kelly) Kolbo, Greenwood, and Jesse (Katrina) Kolbo, Weyauwega.
LARSON, Lee J. (19 April 1920 - 27 July 1991)
Lee J. Larson, 71, Withee, died July 27, 1991, at home. Funeral services were held at Rinka Funeral Home, Greenwood. The body will be cremated and the ashes interred in the Greenwood Cemetery. Lee J. Larson was born April 19, 1920, in the town of Warner, to Harold and Anna (nee Aalbu) Larson. He received his education at Christopferson School. He married Gloria Powers in Milwaukee. He was a precision machinist for Harley-Davidson in Milwaukee, retiring in 1982, when he moved to Withee. He served in the U.S. Navy in WWII on the USS Missouri. Survivors include one daughter, Mrs. Daniel (Jada) Parker, Owen; one sister, Mrs. Betty Awe, Greenwood and two grandsons, Dustin and Jody. He is preceded in death by his wife, his parents, three brothers, Norman, Lawrence and Lloyd and two sisters, Mabel and Nora./
/LARSON/, Christian family, Warner township
1875 census: Larson, Christian 2 male, 2 female
(brother of Anthony Larson)
1895 census, head of family: Chris Larson
1 male, 4 female
1880 sec 36 no residence C. Larson
1893 sec 36 residence C. Larson
(1906 = T. A. Sheets)
|Pictured above is Chris Larson (left) who was a painter, and (to his right) Elias Peterson (1833 - 1914), who was a shoemaker and owned the mercantile store in Greenwood. (Elias Peterson's daughter Merrit #2 "Mary" married Lars "Lewis" Larson)|
June 6, 1882: Lars Larson and Mary Peterson were married last Sunday, morning he left a box of cigars at Eaton's that the boys might puff to him joy forever, and may a worthy couple find in the great storehouse of life a rich harvest of happiness. Greenwood news
August 4, 1882: Scarlet fever, the accursed malady of earth, has again made its appearance in our village in Chris Larson's family. Lars Larson has purchased the residence of Chris Larson and proposes to make this his abiding home. Greenwood
LARSON, Lars family, Warner township
1906 sec 36 no residence W. Larson (1915 = Gust Blocke)
LARSON, Lars "Lewis" W. (1 Aug 1853 - 10 May 1902)
L. W. Larson who has been in poor health for about three years, died May 10, from hemorrhage of the stomach. He had been around and as well as usual until a few days before his death when he had a hemorrhage that weakened him until the last one which caused his death. The funeral was held from the Presbyterian Church. The local Masonic society to which deceased belonged was present in a body, the pall bearers being from the order. Interment took place in the Greenwood cemetery. Lars W. Larson, more generally known as "Lew," was born in Christiana, Norway, August 1, 1853 and came with his parents to Black River Falls about forty years ago. Ten years later he came to Greenwood where he has since resided, in his earlier years working in the woods and on the river, some of the time running camps for Rob. Schofield and for Price Gibson. Later he was engaged in the grocery business and machine business. He also served as postmaster in the early 90's. For the past few years he has run the Northwestern Sample Rooms, Martin Krokson now being in charge. In May 1882, Mr. Larson married Miss Mary Peterson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elias Peterson. To these were born five children, Lottie, Ella, Alvin L., and Ruth who are living and Clayton who died at three years of age. Besides the wife and children deceased is mourned by a twin brother, Ole Larson of Black River Falls, and Carl and Nels Larson, half brothers of deceased, living at Taylor.
"...The first postmaster in Greenwood was B. F. Brown with his office in Jones Bros. and Johnson's store. In 1881 A. S. Eaton held the office, and after him Horace Weston. In 1889 L. W. Larson became postmaster with his office in what is now the Fred Oelig building. (Dr. Austin's office building)...." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)
June 29, 1889: L.W. Larson, at Greenwood, makes a specialty of fine shoes for gentlemen, ladies, Misses and children's wear. Mr. Larson received a new invoice last week, and it was the finest layout in footgear we have seen in a long time. Mr. Larson is drawing a big trade because of the good quality of stock and his low prices. Republican and Press
LARSON, Mary E. nee Peterson (11 Jan 1864 - 19 Nov 1928)
Mary E. Peterson, daughter of Elias and Andrea Peterson, was born Jan. 11, 1864 in Trondhjem, Norway. She came to America in July 1873. She was united in marriage to Louis Larson in May 1882. Mr. Larson preceded her in death May 10, 1902. Five children were born of this union, Mrs. Alfred Jensen of Neillsville, Wis., Mrs. Oren Crum of Owen, Wis., Alvin Larson of St. Paul, Minn., Mrs. Oscar Johnson of Flint Michigan and Clayton, who passed away in infancy. She is also survived by one brother and four sisters. Mrs. Larson was a pioneer in Clark Co, coming here from Norway when she was 9 years old and has resided in Greenwood and vicinity for 55 years. Mrs. Larson passed away Nov. 19,1928, at her home in this city. Funeral services were held at the M.E. Interment was made in the Greenwood Cemetery.
LARSON, Martin family, Warner township
1905 #99 Larson, Martin Head W M 52 M Wisconsin Norway Farmer 8 O M F Amelia Wife W F 34 M Wisconsin Germany House Keeper Amy daughter W F 6/12 S Wisconsin Wisconsin
1906 sec 24 residence M. Larson (1915 = A. B. Dyre)
This Martin Larson was born c1853. The only other Martin Larsons found in CC were born in 1842 and 1899, and no relationship found with this Martin Larson family.
LANG family, Warner township
1906 sec 35 no residence H. Lang (1915 = Carl Grashorn)
Nothing found in CC records as to which Lang or Lange owned this property.
LEWIS families, Warner township
LEWIS, Daniel family, Warner township
LEWIS, Daniel (c1853-?)
1905 #69 Lewis, Daniel Head W M 52 Widower Ohio Ohio Engineer
13 Feb 1906: Hemlock - "J. L. Palmer transacted business in Augusta last week, Dan Lewis looking after the mill during his absence.
Dan Lewis residence #69 was between Thea Anderson #68 who kept boarders and Joseph Palmer #70 who was the miller at Hemlock. No further information on this Daniel Lewis.
LEWIS, Emanuel family, Warner township
1895 census, head of family: E. J. Lewis 2 male, 3 female, 1 colored male
1905 #126 Lewis, Emanuel Head Blk M 44 M Alabama Virginia Farmer 8 O M F Julia Wife W- F 41 M Wisconsin NY/Virginia House Keeper Reed Daughter Mulatto F 15 S Wisconsin Wis/Alabama Ray Son Mulatto M 13 S Wisconsin Wis/Alabama Ruth Daughter Mulatto F 11 S Wisconsin Wis/Alabama Casker Son Mulatto M 9 S Wisconsin Wis/Alabama Price Son Mulatto M 8 S Wisconsin Wis/Alabama Foss Son Mulatto M 10/12 S Wisconsin Wis/Alabama Nate Son Mulatto M 10/12 S Wisconsin Wis/Alabama
1906-1915 sec 21, 22 no residence Ed Lewis (80 acres Emmanuel Lewis?)
EMANUEL JONES LEWIS, a lumberman of Hemlock, was born in Uniontown, Alabama, May 10, 1861, the son of Rev. George and Patsy (Burges) Lewis. The father was a native of Richmond, Virginia, and was for twenty years a minister of the gospel in the Methodist Episcopal Church in Alabama.
The parents had ten children, viz: Henry, Lucy, Matthew, Samuel, Emanuel, Dovie, Manasses, Georgia, Fleming and Rebecca. Emanuel J., the subject of this sketch, came to Lewis Valley, Wisc, near La Crosse, with a Mr. Bradbent, when in his sixth year. He soon afterward went to live with Colonel A. Wood, (should be Col. Withee) of that locality, and remained with him over twenty years, having been engaged in teaming mostly. He began working in the pineries eight years ago, and now takes contracts in taking logs to the river for other parties. Mr. Lewis was married May 8, 1889, to Julia Markham, who was born in Sauk Co Wis, Aug 9, 1865, the daughter of Morris Markham. They have one child, Mollie Reed, born July 30, 1890. Both Mr. and Mrs. Lewis are members of the Presbyterian Church. 1891 HISTORY OF CLARK & JACKSON CO.
June 1900: Here is an account of a new Clark County Industry reported in one of our exchanges: Emmanuel Lewis, of Hemlock, is the first man in the state that conceived the idea of propagating the ginseng root, from a commercial standpoint. Living in a territory indigenous to the growth of the root, he went into the business. He has now growing, on his small farm, over 36,000 healthy plants and expects to continue increasing the acreage until he has the best-paying farm in Clark County. Judging from the marked demand for the root, it will not be long until Lewis' crop will be ready for market. Clark County Press
LEWIS, Emmanuel James (10 May 1861 - 11 Feb 1928)
Emanuel J. Lewis was born in Uniontown, Alabama, May 10, 1861, the son of George and Patsy Lewis. His father was a native of Richmond, Virginia. He came to Lewis Valley, near La Crosse, Wis., when in his sixth year. He soon after went to live with Col. A. Withee in that locality, with whom he made his home for more than 20 years. When a boy he came with Mr. Withee to this part of the state and at an early age he entered the woods as a logger and lumberman, following that business for about 21 years. He has lived on his farm in the Town of Warner about 30 years, where he passed away in death Feb. 11, 1928, after an illness of short duration. He was united in marriage to Miss Julia Markam May 8, 1889. Eleven children were born to this union, six of them preceding him in death, they being LaRettie (Lorelta May born/died 18 Aug 1900), Rulah (Beulah born 30 June 1901, died 22 July 1901), Lena (born 14 Sept 1906, died 18 June 1909), Price (Elmer Price 23 Aug 1898 - 26 Oct 1920), Lottie (born 23 June 1890, died 25 April 1923) and one infant (no info). Those who are left to mourn his loss are his wife, two daughters, Reid (Mollie Reed born 30 July 1890) and Ruth (b. c1894) and three sons, Roy, Casper and Foss and one (Note that the 1905 census listed Foss and Nate as 10 months old, twins) adopted son Nate (buried Riverside, 1904 - 1977, no other info). Funeral services were held from the Methodist Church. The body was laid to rest in the Greenwood Cemetery (buried near children).
For possible c1907 photo of Emmanuel Lewis and perhaps his son Price see "Warner/business/Severson or Olson's Maple Syrup" or the Warner township Severson bio
"Emanuel Lewis was Julia Markham's first husband. Apparently, N. H. Withee brought Emanuel back with him upon returning from the Civil War. At that time, Emanuel was only 5 or 6 yrs. old. Together, he and Julia raised and adopted a relative's two sons, Ross (Foss) & Nate (twins born 1904). We've been told these two boys were challenged, but were able to work as laborers on area farms. On the 1905 Census, Emanuel was 44, born in Alabama, of natives of Virginia and his occupation was farmer."
"Julia (daughter of John Markham) married Emanuel Lewis and since his death married Charles Churkey and lives near Owen" (per Varney) "...At 4:00 o'clock Julia had to leave us, to get home near Owen for chore time and at 5:00 the others departed, expressing the thought that the day would long be retained in the memory of each one...." Varney birthday party April 1937
Greenwood cemetery: Julia Markham Lewis Churkey, born 9 Aug 1864, died 12 Nov 1949; listed as married to Charles Churkey, Jr. (born 1916, died 1988). Think this should be married to Charles Churkey, Sr. (born 1881, died 1971). Charles Churkey, Sr. was first married in 1903 to Jennie McCamment who died in 1926 leaving children Marvin, 22; David, 16; Charles, 10; William, 5.
LEWIS, Lerelta May (18 Aug 1900 - 18 Aug 1900)
"In the Hemlock notes will be noticed the death of an infant child of E.J. Lewis. The child was taken sick Saturday morning and died that evening." Gleaner 8-24-1900
LEWIS, Elmer Price (23 Aug 1898 - 26 Oct 1920)
Price Lewis, son of Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Lewis, residing northwest Greenwood suddenly passed away in death at the Carl Jorenby home, for whom he was working, Oct. 26, 1920. Price had been in the best of health and the day before his death had enjoyed a little boxing contest with a neighbor. The remains were taken to the home of his parents yesterday from where they will be laid to rest. (Buried Greenwood cemetery, not married, WW1 vet)
1934: "Born to Mr. and Mrs. Foss Lewis Saturday, September 29, a baby girl." Greenwood Gleaner [Foss Lewis, b. 1904, d. 1977, buried Riverside Cemetery]
LEWIS, George Leroy (17 Sept 1891 - 1 Dec 1945)
Funeral services for George Lewis, 54, who died (of throat cancer) at Hines Memorial Hospital, Hines, Ill., Dec. 1, 1945, were held in Greenwood at the Schiller Funeral Home, and interment was made in Greenwood Cemetery. The Henry D. Wallis Post of the American Legion, Greenwood, had charge of the military rites at the grave. Pallbearers were John Zimmer, John Arends, W. C. Steiger, Adolph Schwarze, Theodore Hines, and Hubert Kuehn. George Leroy Lewis, son of the late Emanuel Lewis and Mrs. Charles Churkey, was born in the Town of Warner Sept 17, 1891, his parents living on a farm 3 1/2 miles northwest of Greenwood. After completing rural school he was employed in this community until entering the Army in World War I. In 1920 he was married to Nellie Ferguson, who resides in Appleton. Also surviving are four children, Mrs. Lillian Pumpa and Robert Lewis of Appleton, Lucia of Chicago, and Loise of the U.S. Navy; his mother, Mrs. Charles Churkey, Owen two brothers, Casper and Foss Lewis, Chicago and a sister, Mrs. Ruth Strassburg, Manawa. His father and two sisters, (Molly Reed, born 1890) Reed and Lottie (1890-1923), preceded him in death.
GEORGE W. SCHWARZE (4/18/1877- 6/21/1961) People from out of town who attended the funeral of George Schwarze Saturday were: "...Mr. and Mrs. Dave Churkey and Charles (Jr.) and Elroy Churkey, of Owen... Robert Lewis (son of George) of Kaudeauna, Mrs. Ruth (nee Lewis, daughter of Emanuel and Julia) Strassburg of Marion...."
LIMPRECHT family, Warner township
1895 census, head of family: Fred Limprecht 3 male, 2 female
1905 #130 Limkresht, Fred Head W M 54 M Germany Germany Carpenter 8 O F F Bertha Wife W F 48 M Wisconsin Germany House Keeper Fred Son W M 7 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger Alphersteadt, William Step Son W M 24 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger Day Laborer 10 Cramer, Theodore Step Son W M 19 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger Day Laborer 10 Elsie Step Daughter W F 17 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger John A. Step Son W M 15 S Wisconsin Wis/Ger
1880 sec 15 (Hemlock per bio). Plat map doesnt identify owners of 7 homes in that section.
1893 sec 4 no residence F. Limprecht
1906 sec 9 no residence Limprecht
1906 Sec 15 no residence Mrs. S. Limprecht (S = Sedonie, first wife?)
1956 Clark Co. Directory: Limprecht, Fred Greenwood Warner sec 15
FREDERICK A. LIMPRECHT
FREDERICK A. LIMPRECHT, of section 15, Warner Township, was born in Wimar, Germany, October 8, 1850, the son of Charles M. and Christina (Buddinger) Limprecht, natives of Germany the former is a resident of Sheboygan Co, Wisconsin, but the latter is deceased. Of the parents' nine children, seven are still living, namely: August, Christ, Frederick, Louis, Hermann, Charles, and Emma. One daughter, Annie, died on shipboard when the family was on their way to the United States. They landed in this country in 1854, and first settled in Sheboygan Co, which was then a dense woods. Frederick A. was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools of Sheboygan Co. At the age of fifteen years he learned the Miller's trade, which he followed several years around Sheboygan and Milwaukee, and also in Chicago four years. He went to the latter city about three weeks before the fire of 1871, but in 1874 returned to Sheboygan Co, where he was subsequently married. Mr. Limprecht farmed on the homestead four years, and in the spring of 1879 came to Hemlock, where he built a large flouring-mill in company with N. H. Withee, and also built the first dwelling-house in this city, where he has ever since resided. After five years he sold his interest in the Hemlock mills, and has since been engaged in farming and various other employments. He owns 120 acres of land on the west side of the river, on sections 9 and 4, township 27, range 2 west, of which eighteen acres is cleared. He also owns a fine frame dwelling in Hemlock. Mr. Limprecht was married Sept 26, 1874, to Sedonie Seitel (Seidel), a daughter of Gottleib Seitel. They have had five children, four of whom are still living: Annie, Charlie, Toney and William. One son, Herman, died at the age of four years and three days. Mr. Limprecht is a member of the A. O. U. W., and also of the German Reformed Church. History 1891
March 1906: "Chas. Limprecht who lives at Florence, Wash., must be right in his element and be strictly "at home." He is foreman of a crew of men whose duty it is to brail logs in the bay at Florence, known as Port Susan. He has with him his brother Will, also his wife's (Oline "Lena" J. nee Christenson?) brother Oscar Christensen (Oscar son of Ole and Maren Knudson Christensen) and Johnnie Larson, all former Clark county boys." [Charles and William sons of Fred Limprecht Sr. and first wife Sidonia Seidel]
15 May 1905 Hemlock news: "Messers. Daugherty and Ketchpaw have finished the wall for C. A. Anderson house and the carpenters have begun work on the house. Limprecht and Baumann have the job of building."
LIMPRECHT, Fred August, Sr. (8 Oct 1850 - 24 April 1941)
Fred A. Limprecht Sr., 90, a former resident of Greenwood, died April 24, 1941 at Sheboygan, where he had been living with relatives since the death of his wife in Greenwood in 1934. The body will arrive in Greenwood and will lie in state at the home of his son, Fred Limprecht Jr., where funeral services will be conducted. The Reformed Church will have charge of the services, and interment will be made in the Braun Settlement cemetery. Fred August Limprecht, son of Moritz and Ernestine Limprecht, was born in Weimar, Saxony, Germany, Oct. 8, 1850, and came to Sheboygan with his parents in 1854. The family settled on a farm at Sheboygan Falls. He learned the carpenter trade after school hours, and later built a flour mill in Plymouth. For a period of three years he worked for eight dollars a month, learning the milling trade. He was married in 1874 to Sidonia Seidel, after which they settled on a farm at Sheboygan Falls. In Feb 1879, Mr. Limprecht and his hired man, Charles Kuester, came to Clark Co near the Black River, 4 1/2 miles north of Greenwood, to the place formerly called Hemlock. Here they built a flour mill, cleared land, and constructed a home for the family. The house now is occupied by a son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Limprecht Jr. After operating the mill for five years, he sold the business and went back to farming. Mrs. Limprecht died in 1890, and in 1899 he was married to Bertha Kraemer (Bertha nee Fielder, widow of John Cramer/Kraemer) of Hemlock, who died in 1934 (1931 per obit), shortly after he went to Sheboygan.
LIMPRECHT, Bertha nee Fielder (25 Aug 1854 - 31 Oct 1931)
Mrs. Bertha Limprecht was born in Stockbridge, Calumet Co., Wisc, August 25, 1854 and passed away suddenly Oct 31, 1931, having reached the age of 77 years, 2 months, and 6 days. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Fielder. In 1879 she was married to Emil Alperstedt, who preceded her in death. To this union were born two children, William Alperstedt of Greenwood and Ida, Mrs. Logeman of Plymouth, Wis. In 1882 she was married to John Cramer of Clark Co. To this union were born Ella, Mrs. Wachsmitch of Owen, Theodore of Hereat Bay, Canada, Elsie, Mrs. Daugherty of Steuben, Wis., and John of Oakland, Oregon. Mr. Cramer died in 1889. On August 30, 1899 she was married to Fred Limprecht of Greenwood and to them was born one son Fred Jr. She spent most of her life in Clark Co. She leaves to mourn her loss a loving husband, seven children. All the children were present at the funeral except John and Theodore Cramer. The funeral services were conducted at the home, the Greenwood Reformed Church, officiated. The body was laid to rest in the Braun Settlement Cemetery.
22 June 1900 Hemlock: "Mrs. Limprecht spent Sunday in Greenwood with her son, William Alperstedt, who is sick."
Feb 13 1906 Hemlock: "Mrs. Fred Limprecht called on Mrs. Geo. Warner Friday."
Mar 20 1906 Hemlock: "A crowd of young people gathered at Limprecht's Saturday evening to remind John Cramer that he was sweet sixteen. A bounteous repast was served at midnight - all report a pleasant time."
Colby, Anna nee LIMPRECHT (31 Aug 1875 - 26 Feb 1912)
Mrs. Anna Colby died at the home of her sister, Mrs. A. S. Armstrong, of heart failure after several weeks' sickness. She had recently returned with her children from Washington where they have been living for a few years. Mrs. Anna Colby was born at Sheboygan Falls, Wis., Aug. 31, 1875. She was the eldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Fred (mother was Sedonie Seidel) Limprecht. She came to Clark Co with her parents when but a child and lived on the farm in town of Reseburg. She was married to Jesse E. Colby July 4, 1898. They went onto a farm in the town of Reseberg where they lived until Mr. Colby's death Feb. 28, 1903 (born 13 Aug 1870). Mrs. Colby leave two children, Norman and Amy, two brothers, Charles and William Limprecht, both resideing in the west, one sister, Mrs. A. S. Armstrong, her father, Fred Limprecht, who lives at Hemlock. Deceased was 36 years of age at the time of her death and her departure seems untimely since she leaves two young children behind. The funeral was held at the Armstrong home. The remains were taken to Reseburg for burial.
Armstrong, Sitonia nee LIMPRECHT (28 Jan 1879 - 2 Feb 1972)
Mrs. Sitonia (Tony) Armstrong, 93, of Abbotsford, Clark Co, died Feb. 2, 1972, at the Marshfield Convalescent Center, where she had resided the past several years. Services were held at the Lulloff Funeral Home, with the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church officiating and burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery at Greenwood. The former Sitonia Limprecht was born Jan. 28, 1879 (parents were Fred and Sedonie nee Seidel Limprecht), in Greenwood, and was married there July 10, 1898 to Allen Armstrong, who preceded her in death in January of 1946. The couple resided in Clark Co and in later years she had made her home in Abbotsford. In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by a son, Donald, a sister and three brothers.
Now residing at Hemlock is FRED LIMPRECHT, Jr whose father was a millwright. The father was running a Withee mill here when the flood did its work. Mr. Limprecht still has a quarrel with the flood of 1914, because it spoiled his fishing ground. He used to fish in the pond that was backed up by the Hemlock dam, and he caught them. But now, with the water so shallow, luck isn't so good. Hard by the Limprecht home is the old Theodore Withee place, with buildings that speak for ambition and affluence. But for Theodore Withee difficult times came, and he was unable to hold the place, with its imposing house and large outbuildings. They stand there still, occupied and used for many years by Peter Windom, but they are not quite so spick and span as in the old days. "From The Book of Years", The Clark County Centennial 1853 - 1953
LIMPRECHT, Fred, Jr. (1898 - 10 Sept 1965)
Services were held at the Hill Funeral Home for Fred Limprecht, 67, a lifelong resident of Greenwood, who died of a heart attack Sept 10, 1965, at his home. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mr. Limprecht was born at Greenwood and had operated the home farm there for the past 54 years. His marriage to Laura Guk, who survives, took place Dec 25, 1920. Other survivors include two daughters, Mrs. Keith (Betty Jean) Cramer, Greenwood and Mrs. W.T. (Eilene) Chriswell, Bradenton, Fla.
Cramer, Betty Jean nee LIMPRECHT (11 Sept 1922 - 5 May 2004)
Betty J. Cramer, 81, Greenwood, died Aug. 5, 2004, in the Palliative Care Unit of Saint Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield, where she was admitted on July 22, 2004. Funeral services were held at the Cuddie Funeral Home. Burial was in the Greenwood Cemetery.
Betty Jean Limprecht was born Sept. 11, 1922, in Greenwood, to Fred and Laura (nee Guke) Limprecht. She received her education in the Greenwood area and graduated from Greenwood High School. Following her education, she traveled with her sister. She married Keith Cramer in 1944, in Greenwood. The young couple resided in Oregon and then California while he was in the military. He died in 1959, and she and her children moved back to Greenwood and lived on the family farm. She moved to town in 1981, and resided there until her death. Her interests included gardening, cooking, sewing, reading, flower arranging, crocheting, and visiting with close friends. She was a former member of Trinity Lutheran Church, Greenwood, and its Ladies Aid. She will be sadly missed by her daughter, Alice (William) Bleeker, Neillsville, and Alda (James) Noah, Loyal; her sons, John Cramer, Marshfield and David (Colleen) Cramer, Neillsville. Preceding her in death were her parents; her husband; and one sister, Irene.
LINDSAY family, Warner township
1875 census: Lindsey, F. D. 5 male, 4 female
Civil War: Lindsey, Freeman D. (1837-1896) Co. F, B, 5th New Hampshire, Inf.
LINDSAY, Freeman D. (19 Feb 1837 - 1896)
HON. F. D. LINDSAY, merchant, Neillsville. Born in Essex Co., N. Y, Feb. 17, 1837. He remained in his native county until 1862, engaged in farming, and when the war broke out he enlisted, 1862, in the 118th N.Y. Vol., and served till 1865. When mustered out ranked sergeant. Went home then to Davenport, Iowa, and came to Clark Co, Jan. 1, 1866. Went to work by the month lumbering and farming; kept at that business since, doing about $50,000 per year. In 1880, bought provision store of J. L. Gates, which is connected with his lumbering interests. In 1872, married Miss Clara Hubble, of Neillsville. They have two children, Bessie, six years of age in October (b. c1874), Josie two years December (b. c 1878), and one deceased, named Lulu (b. 1873, d. 1 Feb 1878). In 1871-72, be served the county as Sheriff; 1876-77, was elected to the Assembly from Wood, Clark, Lincoln and Taylor counties; was Chairman of the Town Board for 1878-80. 1881 History of Clark Co.
NOTE: Freeman D. Lindsay, 1837-1896, buried Pine Valley cemetery. Wife Clara nee Hubbell also listed but no dates. Also see "Hubbell family, Warner township".
November 1867: Messrs. Jones, Tompkins and Free Lindsey, of Twenty-six marched into camp last week with a full crew of men. They hang out on Popple River, about twenty-eight miles hence. They propose to put in three million feet, to a log. Clark County Republican
January 1868: A man named Hans Halverson got a broken leg when a log rolled upon it in Thompkins & Lindsay's logging camp yesterday. He was brought into town today with his leg bandaged in splints. The doctor thinks Lindsay deserves a diploma for having done such a fine job in setting Halverson's leg.
Dec 6, 1875: Last Monday morning a team of horses attached to a heavy wagon, belonging to F. D. Lindsey, took a run around town without a driver. There was great damage to a barrel of molasses that happened to be occupying the wagon at the time. Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
April 1878: F. D. Lindsay's camp on Wedge's Creek, with an outfit for forty men, was destroyed by fire the other day.
LINDSAY, Freeman D. marriage 15 Sept 1872
Married at the M. E. Church in Neillsville on Sabbath evening, Sept. 15, 1872 Mr. F. D. Lindsay and Miss Clara Hubbell, all of this place. On Monday Free and his charming young bride started for St. Paul on a bridal tour. (Note: marriages = F. B. Lindsey)
Freeman D. Lindsey, the Mayor-elect of this city, is a man of considerable prominence in the politics of this section, and well calculated to act as the chief magistrate of our city. He was born in the town of North Hudson, Essex County, N. Y., February 19, 1837. He came to Wisconsin in 1865 and settled at Neillsville where he has since resided. He entered the military service in the Union Army, and was at the siege of Petersburg, the battles of Fort Darling, Chapin's Farm, Drury's Bluff, and several others, and was mustered out as Lieutenant, Co. E. 118 N. Y. Vol. He acted as sheriff of Clark Co from 1871 to 1873. In the fall of 1876 he was the candidate of the Republican Party for assemblyman from this district, receiving 2,379 votes against 1,788 for J. Tompkins (Dem.). Since his residence here he has been engaged in the lumbering business quite extensively and is well known by all the businessmen of the county. May 8, 1883 Neillsville Times
April 12, 1878: The little five-year-old daughter (Bessie, b. c1874 per bio) of A. D. (should be F. D.) Lindsay is lying in a very critical condition in consequence of the lodgment of a bean in one of her bronchial tubes. While playing with some common beans she swallowed one, and was soon taken with violent coughing and choking, which has continually worsen up to this day. All the resident physicians, together with Dr. (unreadable) of Black River Falls, have been consulted, and Dr. Gage, of Sparta, has been summoned, but has not yet arrived. A surgical operation has been thought of, but has not been decided upon until the arrival of Dr. Gage. The chances, nearly as we can learn, are many against the little sufferer, as her strength is gradually failing. The Clark Republican and Press (Survived as mentioned in 1881 bio and 1899 news)
LINDSAY, Lulu (1873 - 1 Feb 1879)
Died, in Neillsville on the 1 of Feb., 1879, of diphtheria, Lula, oldest daughter of F. D. and Clara Lindsay, aged five years and seven months. NEILLSVILLE REPUBLICAN PRESS
August 1881: J. L. Gates and J. D. Stannard purchased the corner grocery and provision store owned by L. D. Lindsay. They will take possession on Monday, repairing the building, making changes in the interior.
November 1881: The Hon. F. D. Lindsay extended an invitation to H. J. Hoffman, E. L. Hoffman, L. B. Ring, Messr James Hewett, W. S. Colburn and others to come to his residence last Saturday evening. The guests were able to witness the first illumination of his residence by means of the De Witt Portable Gas Works, which had just been placed therein by William Blackburn, of Chicago. The machine used has a capacity of 25 lights, but 27 have been put into Lindsay's house with 26 kept constantly burning while we were there. The tank, which holds the gasoline, is placed under ground about 30 feet from the house, thus ensuring against any explosion. A pipe from the tank supplies the generator, which is placed in the cellar. A riser from the cellar supplies the different pipes that lead all over the house. The fixtures in the Lindsay home are very elegant and the imported glass globes are traced with handsome designs. Blackburn informs us that the cost of such a machine, including the piping, is about $275. Two barrels of gasoline will supply fuel for lighting an ordinary residence for six months. The cost of gasoline, in Chicago, is $2.50 per barrel. This is the same kind of gas works lighting that has been placed in Bruley's store and in Huntzicker's hotel.
June 1882: An extensive fire raged on Wedge's Creek last Sunday and Monday, doing great damage to timber. It also destroyed the F. D. Lindsay camp and outfitting, together with the tramway and rolling stock used in putting in logs. The fire came upon them so rapidly that there was barely time to save the livestock, everything else being burned. The stables, in one of Wm. H. Polley's camps, were also destroyed. It required great exertion to save Hewettville from destruction. It was accomplished by the backfiring and our citizens who rendered their assistance in fire fighting. The rain of last Wednesday helped extinguish the flames. Clark County Press
December 12, 1882: F. D. Lindsay went to Appleton last week and purchased eight horses for use in his logging camps. Neillsville - Local Record
December 1882: The Excelsior Gas Light Company of Chicago will submit a proposition at the adjourned meeting of the county board to light the Court House and other county buildings with gas lights. It would be a great improvement on the present method for lighting the buildings and would also be a saving. In company with several other citizens, we responded to an invitation to be present at the illumination, for the first time by gas, of the residence of Hon. F. D. Lindsay. W. J. Blackburn, representing the Excelsior Gas Light and Mfg. Co., was present. Twenty-one burners were used drawing from one of the company's twenty-five light machines set up for the occasion. The test proved satisfactory and established the fact a gas machine is superior to kerosene lighting. The fixtures used in Lindsay's residence are elegant, consisting of a magnificent four light chandelier in the parlor and a chandelier nearly as handsome in the sitting room. The other principal rooms are supplied with two-light chandeliers and bracket burners have been placed where extra lighting is necessary. Amongst other improvements, recently made, is a model heating furnace. Lindsay now has the most comfortable and convenient dwelling in the city.
October 19, 1882: Hon. F. D. Lindsay and family, accompanied by Miss Hattie Brush and Jones Tompkins, left for Davenport, Iowa Wednesday Morning, for a visit of about two weeks with friends of that city and a party from the east. The Clark Republican and Press
September 12, 1883: Married at the residence of F. D. Lindsay, September 12, 1883, Mr. Allie L. Lee, to Miss Hattie Brush, both of Neillsville, Wis. Miss Brush has been a favorite in society for several years. Mr. Lee spent his boyhood in this city. During the past year he has been employed as a surveyor by a Canadian company in the region east of Winnepeg.
April 3, 1884: At about half past twelve o'clock noon today the residence (Neillsville, Wis.) of Hon. Mayor Lindsay was burned. The fire is supposed to have originated from the furnace in the basement. The fire was first discovered by Mr. Lindsay who found the ceiling in the cellar on fire over the furnace. The alarm was at once given, but it was perhaps ten minutes before it became known in the center of the city so that a crowd could gather. The fire was found to be all over the basement. In very few minutes the smoke was all over the house. At first but little effort was made to save the building, as it was through useless, but the whole crowd began to carry the furniture out, pitching it through doors and from the windows in the upper story. In twenty minutes the furniture was all removed and a apart of the crowd then turned their attention to trying to save the building as the flames had not yet burst forth. But their efforts were useless for the whole of the ceiling of the basement was on fire. The fire spread from basement to garret by passing between the walls, while the rooms of the first and second floors were still free from flames, soon the roof was in flames. All hope of saving the building was now given up and attention was turned to removing such of the furniture as remained in the yard to places of safety, while a number of men removed the fences and out buildings and attempted to move the woodshed, but this they could not do. The barns across the street were now wet down as were also the piles of lumber on the eastside of the house. At fifteen minutes past one, the chimneys in the main part fell and at half past one nothing remained standing, but the studding and a small portion of the westend of the main part. There were probably over a thousand spectators. The building was insured in Cheney's agency at Black River Falls for $1,500. Value of the building about $3,000. The insurance on the furniture is not known. The damage done to the furniture in removing was perhaps $400 or $500. LATER - The insurance is as follows: On house, $1,500; furniture and fixtures, $1,500; piano, $400; clothing, $200; pictures, $100; all in the Continental, with E. D. Cheney, Black River Falls. There was no insurance on provisions, but the loss on the house over the insurance is about $1,500. Mr. Lindsay has not yet decided whether to rebuild this summer or not. Nor is it known whether he will build on the old site or on the farm when he does build. The family has taken rooms in the residence of Mr. Henry Myers for the present. Mr. Ralph Lindsay has taken board at the Reddan House. (Nothing further found a Ralph Lindsay.)
November 29, 1885: Mrs. F. D. Lindsay started for St. Paul last Tuesday, to continue the medical treatment which has been of such great benefit to her this fall. The Clark Republican and Press
June 24, 1897: Mrs. F. D. Lindsay is having her entire house, on the farm (Pine Valley sec 23) completely remodeled and when she gets through making improvements she will have a very nice residence. The Clark Republican and Press
December 28, 1899: Miss Bessie Lindsay came home from Fairchild for the holidays. The Clark Republican and Press
Lee, Harriet (27 JUL 1859 - 7 JUN 1929)
Mrs. Harriet Lee died at her home in Neillsville June 7, 1929, in the seventieth year of her age. Her death was due to apoplexy. Mrs. Lee, whose maiden name was Harriet W. Bush, was born at Homesdale, Pa., July 27, 1859. Her parents died when she was a little girl and she went to live with an uncle, with whom she remained until she sixteen years old, when she came west to live with another uncle, George Hubbell, who then lived in Greenwood, Clark Co. She also lived at the F. D. Lindsay home, Mrs. Lindsay being a cousin. There she was married to Alfred Lee of Neillsville on Sept. 15, 1883. They lived in Neillsville for a time, then at Tower, Minn., and then at Fifield, Wis., where Mr. Lee died Aug. 19, 1898. Soon after Mrs. Lee and the children moved back to Neillsville, and this has been her home ever since....
J. MOTT THOMPKINS, a prominent citizen of the village of Granton, was born in Essex County, N. Y., Oct. 16, 1853, son of John and Margaret (Lindsay) Tompkins. The parents were both natives of New York State, the father of Stillwater and the mother of North Hudson, and they were also married there. John Tompkins spent his life in Essex county and there came to an accidental death by drowning four months before the birth of his son, the subject of this sketch... When he was 13 he went to live with an uncle, Ed Lindsay, at Davenport, Iowa, but after spending three years there he returned to Essex County, where he remained until he was 21... In 1874 he came to Clark Co, Wis., and worked on a farm for his uncle, Jones Tompkins, now of Neillsville. After that he spent fourteen years working for his uncle, Free Lindsay, of Neillsville.... 1918 History of Clark Co., WI
Tompkins, Martha E. nee Hubbell (1833 - 11 JUN 1887)
Died, at her home in the town of Eaton, Clark Co, June 11, 1887, Mrs. Jones Tompkins. Mrs. Tompkins has been an invalid for a great many years, and for the past three months her death has been expected every day. She was a sister of Hon. F.D. Lindsay of this city. She leaves a husband and son to mourn her death.
Raine, John (20 May 1858 - 13 Feb. 1931) Mr. Raine, was born at Lead Mine, LaFayette County, Wis., May 20, 1858, being the son of Joseph and Ellen Raine. He grew to manhood at Lead Mine, and on Jan. 27, 1881, was married to Hannah Evans at Hazel Green, Wis... and came to Clark Co in 1912. They bought the George Austin farm on Pleasant Ridge and lived there till 1918, when they bought the Lindsey farm (Pine Valley sec 23 SE of Neillsville) west of the fair grounds...
LLOYD family, Warner township
1880 sec 1 & 6 no residence Georg. L. Lloyd (GLL); 1893 sec 1 no residence Geo. L. Lloyd
1906 sec 1 residence Geo. L. Lloyd (235.56 acres) (1915 Charles E. Baker, W.H. Little)
"...In 1873 Charles Hogue lived about six miles northeast of Greenwood on what was later known as the Lloyd farm...." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)
"...Goin pass old Pete Anderson place, then east thru Hemlock again and Warner's corners to the old Robert Smith place and to the road that gows to the Lloyd place south on that road past the Knut Anderson place to Iver Hembre's place, Pete Christopherson's and Simon Johnson's...." Old Timer's Warner-Longwood Townships Mail Route Letter Published in the Greenwood Gleaner, Nov. 24, 1938
November 1867: Henry Myers has formed an alliance with George Lloyd in the logging business. They have contracted to put in two and a half million feet of logs, and left for their camp immediately on Popple River, about 30 miles north of Neillsville. They will employ 15 men for the job. Clark County News
GEORGE L. LLOYD, merchant, Neillsville. Born in Wiloughby, Lake Co., Ohio, Aug. 9, 1840. When he was nineteen years of age he went to Colorado, returning the same year. Located in Neillsville in the year 1859, being engaged in the lumber business. Worked for Wells Co., up to 1873. Set up his own business. Now has a stock on hand of about $10,000, and his proceeds for the year is about $50,000.... 1881 HISTORY OF NORTHERN WI
"...It was in the seventies that the first brick store was erected in Neillsville. This was the store building of Hewett, Woods & Co., built in 1872, on the northwest corner of what is now known as Fifth and Hewett streets, the same building occupied at present by W. J. Marsh and the Masonic fraternity. A few years later George L. Lloyd erected a brick store building directly opposite on the northeast corner of the same streets. It was built of cream colored brick brought from Depere, Wis. This building is now occupied by the Cash Hardware Company...." 1909 History of Clark Co, WI
On May 7, 1877, 80 years ago, Lloyd started the groundbreaking for the store, which was built of cream-colored brick brought from DePere. It was the second brick store to be erected in Neillsville. In 1872, Hewett, Woods & Company erected the first brick store, which is the one now occupied by the J. C. Penney Co., and in which the late William J. Marsh operated a women's ready-to-wear store for many years. The Lloyd store was completed in the fall of 1877 and was then stocked with $30,000 worth of merchandise. This was the winter of 1877-78, known to older Clark Co people as the "Al Brown winter." That winter was one of practically no snow. Logging operations, consequently, were at a standstill, there being no snow upon which to skid the logs to the creeks and rivers. Lumbering contractors became bankrupt as they were unable to merchandise the logs they had felled. Lloyd is said to have lost half of his investment. He saved himself only by putting in tram-cars and managed to get his logs to the Black River to be floated down to the mills. Lloyd was able to secure an extension of time on payment for his stock of merchandise, later being able to pay up his indebtedness, though he lost several thousand dollars. At that time he was selling the very finest grade of lumber at $10 per thousand feet. The following year marked the beginning of the halcyon days of pine lumbering in Clark Co, which continued until the early 90s. Although no one had money to spend during the "Al Brown winter," with very little merchandise being sold at the new Lloyd store, business picked up the next year. Eventually Lloyd managed to realize success in the merchandise venture. Clark County Press
November 1881: George L. Lloyd, hardware merchant, has been identified with his line of business for the past ten years, owning a large hardware house. The business occupies a handsome white brick, iron front block, two stories high. It also has a basement and all of this space is occupied. The store is 100x30 feet in dimension. The stock embraces everything in the hardware and tinware line. A good tin shop occupies the second story. Lloyd is extensively engaged in logging and has also done much to help build up the town. Clark County Press
March 1883: An important business change took place in Neillsville yesterday morning. It was the transfer by George L. Lloyd's entire hardware business to the firm of H. A. North and Davidson. The new firm bought the stock and fixtures and will also lease the building. The building, in the best business block in town, will be leased for a period of three years. The new firm consists of H. A. North, recently of Montello, Marquette Co, Wis., and Mr. W. Davidson, of Rio, Columbia Co, Wis., both gentlemen are of sound business qualities. We trust also, their coming to Neillsville will prove to be a good move for them. Clark County Press
September 1894: The citizens of Greenwood have been kept busy fighting fires up to last Sunday night, and they have done well in containing the fire. If the fire doesn't get south of town, we (Neillsville) will feel perfectly safe. The farmers in the Town of Warner, west of Black River have had a tough time fighting fires for the last two weeks...George L. Lloyd was busy in his field south of the (Neillsville) cemetery, where he is up to his ears in soot. He has been burning pine stumps and log heaps, clearing the land. It is wonderful how fire completely does away with the stumps in these dry times. Lloyd has two springs stoned up in the field that holds a plentiful water supply to put in use when fires creep away from the stump piles... A rain that lasted for 20 hours came upon our area Thursday afternoon. That is the first good rain we have had since early last June. The forest fires have been put out; fall feed has started growing, and this has benefited the farmers in every way possible.
January 19, 1882: Mrs. Sarah Osborne Lloyd, mother of George L., Charles and Robert Lloyd, died at the residence of the latter, in this village, last Friday, January 13, in the eighty-fourth year of her age (born c 1798). The funeral took place from the M.E. Church last Sunday. The deceased had been a resident of this place but a few months. Republican and Press (Not on death records or cemetery lists)
LLOYD, George L. (9 Aug 1839 - 18 Oct 1920)
George Lloyd, one of the old residents of Neillsville, died at his home Oct. 18, 1920, aged 81 years, 2 months and 9 days. He was born in Lake Co., Ohio Aug. 9, 1839... At the age of 20 he joined a party of gold seekers who went overland to Denver, Col. After a few months of prospecting and mining he set out for Wisconsin, reaching La Crosse and coming up Black River to Clark Co, Wis. He joined his brother, who then lived on a farm near Loyal, Wis. He began logging as a foreman for H.A. Bright and later went into the business for himself. In 1869 he formed a partnership with O.P. Wells in the hardware business, which continued till 1873. He then bought out Mr. Wells' interest and continued alone, meanwhile also carrying on his logging operations. In 1877 he built the white brick building now occupied by the Cash Hardware Co., and owned it till the present year. He did an immense mercantile and lumbering business in those years, taking an active part in nearly every enterprise that promised to develop the resources of the region and build up the city of Neillsville. In some of these enterprises he made money, in other he lost, but in those days of his strength and energy he continued his activity regardless of difficulties. He was married first to Miss Dora (a.k.a. Madora) Marshall; she died, leaving one daughter, Dora, who also died. Later he married Miss Ida Marshall, a sister of his first wife; she survives him, with their five children: Glen, now a lumber inspector in the state of Washington, Clyde, who is connected with the Cedro Veneer Co. of Cedro-Wooley, Wash., May, wife of L.B. Ashbaugh of Chippewa Falls, Irene at home and Lois, Mrs. T.E. Barnhardt of Dixon, Ill. The funeral was held at the home. All of the family was present at the funeral.
LLOYD, Madora nee Marshall (1844 - 1 Nov 1874)
Died, Madora Lloyd, wife of George L. Lloyd of Neillsville, Nov. 1, 1874, aged 30 years.
LLOYD, Dora (1874 - 10 Feb 1876)
Died Feb. 10, 1876, little Dora Lloyd, aged one year, 3 months and 11 days.
LLOYD, Ida nee Marshall (10 Feb 1855 - 21 July 1928)
A telegram was received here by relatives that Mrs. George Lloyd had passed away on July 21, 1928, at the home of her son, Clyde Lloyd, in Bellingham, Wash., where she went on a visit some three months ago. Mrs. Lloyd had been in failing health for the past eight years. Mrs. Lloyd was born at Hingham, Wis., Feb. 10, 1855. Her maiden name was Ida Marshall, being a daughter of Stephen and Sarah Marshall. She attended school in Sheboygan Co., and when a young woman came to Neillsville. She taught school on Pleasant Ridge for a time, previous to her marriage. On May 25, 1876, she was married (as his 2nd wife) to George Lloyd, a prominent businessman in Neillsville, and they made their home here during all their married life. Mr. Lloyd died Oct. 12, 1920, and she continued to live here, her daughter, Irene, remaining in the home with her. She leaves to mourn her death two sons, Glynn L. Lloyd (b. 2 May 1877) of Seattle, Wash. and Clyde D. Lloyd of Bellingham, Wash., three daughters, May S. wife of Lewis B. Ashbaugh of Los Angeles, Calif.; Irene F. Lloyd at home, and Lois, wife of Thomas Barnhart of Minneapolis. She leaves also two grandchildren, Miss Mary Ashbaugh of Milwaukee and Virginia May Lloyd of Bellingham. Her sons, Clyde and Glynn, and her daughter Lois, were with her at the time of her death. Funeral services were held at Bellingham. Burial took place in Neillsville Cemetery. The granddaughter, Mary C. Ashbaugh, and Mrs. Lloyd's niece, Miss Helen Deming of Milwaukee, are here with Miss Irene Lloyd and will remain for the funeral.
LLOYD, May L. marriage 2 Aug 1905
Miss Mary L. Lloyd, of Neillsville, arrived in Cairo last night from Chicago and was quietly married to Mr. Lewis B. Ashbaugh, of Mound City. The wedding, which ends a romance dating back eight years, will be a surprise to many friends of the contracting parties, who though aware of the affections existing between them, were not prepared for its culmination at so early a date. Mr. Ashbaugh is junior editor of the Pulaski Enterprise, of Mound City, Ill., which is published and edited by his father. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Lloyd of Neillsville, Wis. Mr. Lloyd is a wealthy and prominent lumberman and his charming daughter is a graduate of the University of Chicago and is prominent in social circles in that city. Mr. and Mrs. Ashbaugh leave this morning for Mound City, where they will reside.
LLOYD, Glenn (02 May 1877 - Dec 1942)
Mrs. (May nee Lloyd) L. B. Ashbaugh, Los Angeles, Calif., in a Christmas greeting message to the Rev. and Mrs. G. W. Longenecker, mentions the fact that her brother, Glenn Lloyd, had died with cancer. The date of his death was not mentioned. Mr. Lloyd's last visit to Neillsville was made several years ago, when he came to dispose of property belonging to the George Lloyd estate. He grew to young manhood in this city, graduating from the Neillsville High School with the class of 1896. The Clark County Press
June 1943: The George L. Lloyd property is now in the ownership of LeRoy Allen, whose farm lies just to the east of it. The sale was recently finalized. Included in the sale was farmland of about 40 acres, chiefly purchased by Allen to extend his own farm. The property sale is authorized by Clyde D. Lloyd of Bellingham, Wash., a son the late George L. Lloyd. This sale carries with it ownership of one of largest residences in Neillsville, and property which was once one of finest. The house is of brick, very large, with fine hardwood floors and trim. It was the pride of George L. Lloyd, who was a successful Lumberman and merchant of Neillsville's earlier days. The house was built some years ago.
Lloyd died about 25 years, ago. As time passed, became evident that the residence, however well suited to the pride and family of a successful lumberman, not suited to the size viewpoints of modern families. So the place has gradually depreciated, although it is still intrinsically a splendid building. One of the assets of property is a spring, which in the old days was harnessed by means of a ram to provide a private running water supply for the Lloyds. The Lloyd house is said to have cost $15,000 for building it, at a time when the dollar was larger than it is now. It is eloquent of the changing taste and viewpoint that house and the whole 40 acres should have been sold $2,000, the price of which Allen is said to have paid for it. And as for the house itself, its present value is highly debatable, as it is vacant, seemingly useless and depreciating steadily. Fortunately, the Lloyd house withstood the intermittent bad years, due to neglect. In recent years, an energetic couple, Ray and Mary Jo Meier, saw its possibilities of restoration by investing seven years of labor and resources to bring the house back to its original state. Once again, the elegant house stands as a monument of the Victorian Era and the lumbering wealth that once prevailed in Neillsville and Clark County. The Meiers have done a great job in the restoration of the Lloyd home. Noted by: Dee Zimmerman Clark County News
As a child, I (Judy Hansen) lived in parts of the Lloyd home from 1943-1944 to 1952.
We were told that the last surviving Lloyd (Irene Lloyd 1888-1953), a woman, lived alone in the house with a large number of cats and chickens, and that she burned the newel posts from the many porches in the two fireplaces. For many years after her death, this home, built in 1895, sat vacant and neglected. Perhaps it's then isolated proximity to the cemetery helped to create the rumor that it was haunted. My family moved into a portion of the downstairs as renters shortly after LeRoy and Martha Allen purchased it. We later moved into a part of the upstairs while LeRoy and Martha moved into part of the downstairs... When we moved in, there were no posts on any of the porches and there was evidence of the earlier chickens and cats everywhere... The front door was a double one off a two tier porch. You entered a foyer in which, almost hidden by lumber the Allens' had stored there, were two sets of double pocket doors that opened into what most likely was originally a music room and parlor. To the right was maybe 10 steps that then turned to the left and climbed the wall another 19 or twenty steps past a huge beveled glass window, then turned left again, to reach the balcony that hung over the foyer and lead to the French doors to the upper level porch and the upstairs bedrooms. The wood of the doors, their framework, the floors and the stairway, was absolutely beautiful, however scarred, wood. There was also a winding stairway from the upstairs that ended in the kitchen area. This most likely was intended for use by the help when the Lloyds were entertaining... The house has a huge attic. Each of it's many dormers has an assortment of separate little rooms. They became pretend homes for the two little girls that played there, hours on end. We wrote our names on one of the fireplace chimneys in chalk. They are still there today... LeRoy Allen predeceased Martha. When she died, the home passed to another owner who in an attempt to remodel, and maybe with no recognition as to the value of the home in it's antiquity, caused further damage to it. The wonderful railings in the foyer stair well were lost, and many of the sliding doors, one of the two fireplaces and the beveled glass windows, et.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs