THE WOMEN’S GUILD
The Women’s Guild, originally called the Frauenverein, was organized in Oct. of 1911. This society has been a very large factor in the progress and the growth of the church. The parsonage was built and maintained by them. They also gave toward the upkeep of the church building and the pastor’s salary.
The following are the charter members: Mrs. Gust Holtz, Mrs. Marcus Hoesly, Mrs. Conrad Stelloh, Mrs. Fred Stelloh, Mrs. Herman Schmid, Mrs. Kearney, Mrs. Heyder, Mrs. C. Dahnert and Mrs. H. Hahan. Mrs. H. Holtz and Mrs. F. Seif were to have joined but were unable to attend the meeting that day. The first three listed are still members.
The pastor was always the president of the society. He conducted both the devotional and business meetings. A vice-president, a secretary, and a treasurer were elected from the women of the society. Meetings were held in the afternoon at the church until in May of 1915 when it was decided to meet at the homes of the members. The minutes were written in the German language until November of 1918.
During the pastorate of Rev. Vornholt the devotional part of the meeting was conducted by the pastor and the business part was carried on by the vice-president.
After the merger of the Reformed and Evangelical churches the name of the society was changed to “Women’s Guild”. All of the officers were then elected from the women of the Guild.
The Lord has blessed this society and given it help and strength to carry on from a group of eleven members to an active membership of fifty. No task has been too great for them when a call for help came.
History by Mrs. Charles Seif
Table of Contents
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs