History of Zion Lutheran Church - Pine Valley 1902-2002

Source: Zion Lutheran Church Centennial Booklet--Contributed by Lynette (Karnitz) Mueller

Where we are now is the result of a widow named Sarah Hulbert being given a tract of land (160 acres) by the U. S. Federal Government on Aug. 1, 1860, because here husband, Corporal William Hulbert, was killed in action in the War of 1812. She gave this land to her daughter and son-in-law, Angela and Nicholas Rettal. They sold one acre to Pine Valley School District for $25 on March 8, 1869 for Hillside School. They sold there remaining 159 acres to Karl Beyer for $1000 on Feb. 12, 1870.

Karl Beyer sold the farm to his son, William F. Beyer I. In 1901, several families decided to build a church and William offered them one acres as a gift. He would sell more if needed. This information came from the first minutes of the congregation dated September 14, 1901. The minutes of the October 12, 1901 meeting stated the size of the church: sanctuary 28' x 26', bell tower and foyer area 10' x 10' and the altar area 10' x 14'.

Minutes of the third meeting of November 30, 1901 settled the future of the congregation. They accepted the gift of one acre from William Beyer and purchased an additional 45 rods, so the land extended to the east to take advantage of the topography of the land, so they had to do a minimum of excavation to have a basement under the church. The price of $11.25 included the rights to the timber on the land, which was then used in the building of the church.

Official minutes of the Pine Valley congregation apparently began in 1901, although translation from German records states that services began in Hillside School much earlier with the Granton pastor coming to preach here once every three weeks.

The following are the earliest recorded minutes of the church translated by Selma Karnitz:

September 14, 1901

Mr. Fred Wegner was appointed chairman. Mr. August Beyer appointed Secretary. Voted that the congregation would build a church. Mr. Wm. Beyer offered the congregation one acre of land as a gift. The land lays next to the District school house. Mr. Wm. Meihak was appointed with the pastor to see about getting subscriptions together. If they wanted to build a house, then Mr. Beyer would sell three or four acres.

September 28, 1901

The Pastor as chairman.

Mr. W. C. Thoma - 1 year

Mr. August Dux - 2 years

Mr. Julius Goldammer - 3 years

Mr. Will Meihak as treasurer

W. C. Thoma and Fredrick Puttkamer voted that the congregation should be named Evangelical Lutheran Zion Congregation in Pine Valley, Clark County, Wisconsin. The new sanctuary would be 28' x 46'. The bell tower - foyer would be 10' x 10'. The altar area would be 10' x 14'.

October 12, 1901

Pastor as chairman. Voted that the groundbreaking would be spring. The congregation needed Trustees and Elders. W. C. Thomas - 1 year; August Dux - 2 years; Julius Goldammer - 3 years. It was voted that the congregation would buy from Wm. Beyer 45 rods of land for $11.25.

Actual construction of the first church began in 1901 when the foundation was done, with the entire first structure being completed in 1902. Because travel at that time was by horse and buggy and consumed time, the Pastor stayed overnight with the family closest to the church.

We give thanks to God for those first families of the church; Dux, Meihack, Carl, Thoma, Wegner, Marg, Beyer, Witte, Karnitz, Puttkamer, Durst, Bloche, Pollnow, Adams, Henning, Zank, Sharratt, Marden, Kunkel, Linster, Eberhardt, Schuelke, Horehled, Kalsow, Strangfeld, Wietering and many others. What was to become of that little church that started in 1901? It grew and prospered and even came to the point that Zion Lutheran Church - Pine Valley died what our forefathers did in 1901.

Charter Members


For numerous reasons, some to include the age of the building, no indoor plumbing, handicap accessibility, it was decided to build a new church one again. The following is a timeframe of the events that led up to the church as it stands today:

Women of the Church

Front Row:  Hulda Wegner, Emma Marden, Marian Linster, Elsie Dux, Florence Carl.

Back Row:  Hazel Adams, Viola Sharratt, Leona Henning, Selma Karnitz, Francis Durst, Mrs. Eberhardt, Ottallie Danielson, Libby Strangfeld, Alma Zickert, Alice Sischo, Virginia Karnitz, Adeline Pollnow & Mrs. August Schmidt.


Women's Missionary Society

On November 6, 1952, Pastor Jacklin called a meeting at the home of Marian Linster. The purpose was to organize a women's church group called Women's Missionary Society. There were twelve members at that time. The officers were:

          Women's Missionary Society >

  •           President - Clara Meihak

  •           Vice President - Selma Karnitz

  •           Secretary - Alma Durst

  •           Treasurer - Elsie Dux

  •           Chaplin - Marian Linster

The meetings were held the first Thursday of the months. Dues were $.25 and a light lunch was served. June 5, 1968 the name of the group was changed to the Women of the Church. During the last 50 years, the Women of the Church have made blankets from used clothing for Lutheran World Relief. Layettes have been sent to New Guinea, quilts have been made and "gifts" were sent to the men in service from our congregation. For many years, on Good Friday, the Women of the Church would entertain the residents of the Subke Nursing home.

Ministers of the Church

Organists of the Church

Church Baptisms













© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel