St. Mary's Catholic Church

Neillsville, Clark Co., Wisconsin


This above postcard (unk date) was contributed by Mike Warlum from the Peter Magnus Warlum (1878-1944) collection.  The card was printed by G. & R. Brown Post Card Co., 324 Lake Street, Eau Claire, Wis.  The flip side reads: St. Mary's Parish, 1803 Black River Road, Neillsville, Wisconsin.  Masses 7:00 - 9:00 - 10:30.  Sat. Confessions 3 - 4 - 5 on hour and 7:30 to 9:00 P.M.




March 1939
Members of St. Mary’s Catholic Congregation have started razing the old school building to make way for a new parochial school structure located on the north side of their church.
Last week, when the cornerstone of the old school was removed, many mementos were found; among the articles which had been sealed in the cornerstone since the dedication of the two-story building, on May 5, 1887.
There were five coins, a copy of the Republican-Press, published preceding the dedication ceremonies, containing a notice of the dedication, and a manuscript written in Latin and preserved in a bottle.
Translated, the manuscript revealed the date, May 5, 1887, as the tenth year of the Pontificate of Pope Leo XIII, Supreme pontiff, while that Most Rev. Michael was reigning as Archbishop of the Metropolitan of Milwaukee; Rt. Rev. Kilian Casper Flash, D. D. as Bishop of our Diocese of La Crosse; Grover Cleveland as president of the United States of America; Jeremia Rusk, governor of Wisconsin; James Hewett as mayor of the City of Neillsville, county seat of Clark County.
Most interesting of the coins uncovered in the cornerstone was a three-cent piece, dated 1868.  Other coins found were an 1887 10-cent coin, and three pennies, dated 1880, 1881 and 1886.

September 1948

The newly-remodeled basement of St. Mary’s Catholic Church will receive its first public inspection during the parish’s annual chicken dinner and picnic on Sunday.’

A group of about 12 men have done considerable work there this summer in re-doing the basement interior.  Those working with the painting bee last Thursday night were:  John and Joe Resong, Ray Burr, Bill Schwellenbach, Max Feuerstein, Charles and Tony Svetlik, Ralph Bauer, Henry Zugich, Leo Kessler, Henry Hauser, and the janitor, Leander Schuld.
In addition to the décor improvements, the heating system has been renovated to provide more heating area; a new 10-burner hotel range with two ovens has been installed; and a 40-gallon water heater has been installed.
A total of more than 375 chickens have been ordered for Sunday’s supper.  Serving will begin at 4 p.m.  Source: Clark Co. Press

May 2007

Additional Articles:

Mission Award

Rev. Pace Moving on

Rev. Joseph right at home in Neillsville





© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel