St. John's Episcopal

Neillsville, Clark Co., WI


A view captured from top of the old court house, looking southwest, circa 1880.  The large white house in the foreground is now offices of the Johnson, Sautebin & Indeberg Law Firm.  Behind it is the first Methodist Church building that was destroyed by fire in the mid 1890ís.  Across the street, west, is the Episcopal Church building, now Rural Insurance office and Voigt residence.  The road in background view is Hewett Street.



April 1878


The Episcopal Society has recently fitted up the south room in the High School building, on the same floor with the Chapel. Services will be held in the room starting next Sunday, at 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.  All are cordially invited to attend. Clark Co. Press


March 1879


There will be a short Lenten service at the Episcopal Chapel in the Neillsville High School building, on next Friday evening, March 14.  All are cordially invited to attend. Clark Co. Press


May 1881


Twelve hundred dollars has been subscribed for the building of an Episcopal Church on the corner of Church and Fourth Streets, south of Firemanís Hall; the work will commence as soon as the subscription reaches fifteen thousand dollars. Clark Co. Press


September 1881


At a meeting of those interested in building an Episcopal Church at this place held at the residence of James OíNeill, Jr. last Monday evening.  Messrs F. A. Lee, S. F. Chubb, F. D. Lindsay, D. B. R. Dickinson and James OíNeill, Jr. were appointed a committee to superintend the erection of the building, and instructed to commence work immediately. Clark Co. Press


October 1909

"All of these church buildings (in Neillsville, WI), are built of brick or brick veneered, except the Episcopal and the Unitarian churches -- both of which are frame structures.

In the last named two churches, regular services are not held, but preaching is had occasionally in both. Pastors from the various churches at Neillsville frequently hold divine services in several towns near Neillsville." Robert J. McBride.

April 21, 1911


"Andrew OíNeill of Lisbon, St. Lawrence Co., N.Y., died at his home on the river road, April 21, 1911 at the age of eight-seven years. The funeral occurred last Sunday, Rev. E. L. Sanford, rector of St. Johnís Episcopal Church of this city officiating. Interment was in the family cemetery on the home farm where the father and mother of the deceased are buried." Obituary of Andrew O'Neill, Clark Co. Press.




The former Episcopal Church building in Neillsville, recently remodeled into office space by W. B. Tufts, has been purchased by the Lynn Insurance Companies.  The purchase was made on June 1st, which incidentally is the 71st anniversary of the Lynn Insurance companies.  The building is located on the intersection of Court and Fourth Streets, adjacent to the Neillsville Armory. Source: Clark Co. Press




Daisy Pearl Bartlett

Lizzie Kotchson

Mrs. F. A. Lee

Mary Aggie McIntyre

Andrew O'Neill

Judge James O'Neill

Milton & Vivian (Ure) Page



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel