History: 1913 History of FENWOOD,
Marathon Co., Wisconsin
Poster: Janet Schwarze
Surnames: Carey, Somers, Curtis, Brinkmann, Szebsdat, Wetterau, Hermanson, Kurtzweil
----Source: 1913 HISTORY OF MARATHON COUNTY WISCONSIN AND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS BY LOUIS MARCHETTI, WAUSAU, WIS. pg. 502 507.
----THE VILLAGE OF FENWOOD, WISCONSIN
THE VILLAGE OF FENWOOD
The village of Fenwood, Marathon Co., Wisconsin was platted by Alfred L. Carey, the attorney for the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad, November 18, 1891, about the time when that railroad struck the place; it was incorporated as a village from part of the town of Wien, April 16, 1904, and its first representative in the county board of Marathon county was W. A. Somers. At the time the railroad struck the place, C. S. Curtis of Wausau erected a large saw mill, which was in operation until 1910, when it ceased sawing. The mill is still there and in not far distant time may begin sawing again, there being still an abundance of hardwood timber within short hauling distance. There is a large cheese factory in the village, getting its milk from the farmers in the towns of Wien and Cleveland; it is owned by farmers and has been very profitable. John Brinkmann and Emil Szebsdat, under firm name of Brinkmann & Szeljsdat. keep a general store, and George Wetterau keeps the tavern or hotel in the village. Emil Szebsdat is also the village postmaster.
There are two German Evangelical Lutheran congregations, holding their services in the schoolhouse and attended by the resident ministers of the town of Wien. There is a nice frame schoolhouse; the school is a state graded school with two departments. The principal is Vallborg Hermanson, and Miss Gertrude Kurtzweil is assistant. There is an average attendance of forty-five pupils in both departments.
Marathon County, Wisconsin [Home Page]