THE NOHR HOTEL
Mrs. Nohr, the former Mary Conehan, was born at Westport, Wis., June 10, 1855. She spent her early life at Westport and at the age of 16 started her career as hotel operator.
She worked at Rhinelander until her marriage, in 1894, to Merton Nohr, a Wisconsin Central Engineer. The couple resided at Ash- land until 1903 when they moved to Abbotsford, where Mrs. Nohr operated the Commercial Hotel. During the month of April 1904, the Commercial Hotel burned to the ground. Mrs. Nohr then built the Nohr Hotel on a lot on the east side of First Street, south of the depot which she operated until 1911, when the family moved to Stevens Point. There she built the Majestic Hotel, on Stevens Poini's south side, and, with the exception of five years, during :which time it was leased to another party, she operated the hotel and was active in the management until her illness. She died Feb. 5, 1945. Mr. Nohr died Jan. 25, 1935. Some time after the railroad divison moved, the hotel property was purchased by Wells & Chase and used to store Ford cars, which were shipped to them during the winter months and made ready for Spring delivery. Some years later the building became the property of Frank Grengs, and was torn down.
(Abbotsford Centennial Book "100 Years"; 1973, pg. 53).
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
Become a Clark County History Buff
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,
Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,