The Loyal Tribune
Contributed by The TRG; Transcribed by Stan
Source: LOYAL CENTENNIAL BOOK (Loyal, Clark County, Wis.) 1870 - 1970
Serving as a printed history of events in the community is the local newspaper. Loyal, Clark County, Wis. has been served for 76 of its first 100 years by a weekly newspaper, which at its very beginning was called the Tribune.
Volume 1, Number 1 of the Tribune was published on Feb. 16, 1894 and listed B. M. Fullmer as Editor and D. V. Richardson as Business Manager.
An item appearing in the Feb. 8, 1895 issue called for the dissolving of partnership of Mr. Fullmer and Mr. Richardson.
Mr. Richardson is given the most credit for starting the newspaper in Loyal. Daniel Victor Richardson was born the only son of Mr. and Mrs. C. K. Richardson at Newport, Columbia Co., Wis.
While attending college and even before he taught school south of Loyal and in high schools in Wisconsin and Indiana. He was also a teacher and principal at Spencer. Mr. Richardson attended law school in Chicago and graduating in 1891, was admitted to the bar in 1892.
Mr. Richardson set up a law practice in Greenwood, Clark County, Wis. in 1891 or 1892. After a couple of years of law practice he saw an opening at Loyal for a newspaper, and with Mr. Fullmer purchased the Spencer Tribune and moved it to Loyal.
Shortly after starting the paper he married Hattie Sophia Cowles.
Ill health forced Mr. Richardson to sell the Loyal Tribune in June 1903 to Mr. J. E. Noyes.
A number of changes took place in the next several years. Mr. Frank D. Browne was the publisher part of the time in the short period from 1903 - 1905. H. V. Ross purchased the paper in Oct. 1905 and sold again to Mr. D. V. Richardson during 1906. Mr. Roy G. Taylor was employed to edit the paper.
Mrs. Richardson sold the paper again in Oct. 1906 to the Roessler Bros., with A. A. Roessler as Editor and Manager.
In Feb. 1914 Wm. F. Neuenfeldt bought the Tribune and sold it to Mrs. Richardson in June 1916. Mr. Neuenfeldt took over the newspaper in Greenwood after leaving Loyal.
The Tribune changed hands again in 1922 when Mrs. Richardson sold to George Rodgers and Leon Thelken. Mr. Thelken became sole owner in February 1923.
On March 17, 1925 he sold to Cowles & Cowles, which was Lawrence and his father, Edward. J. C. Steiner joined the newspaper on March 17, 1925, and Cowles & Steiner became the publisher until 1951.
Four years after the Cowles & Steiner partnership began the Tribune was dealt a terrific blow as fire on April 28, 1931, destroyed the Allen Block Building, claiming 6 lives and destroying 3 businesses.
With the help of papers in surrounding communities the Tribune never missed an issue.
The paper changed hands again on Oct. 24, 1951, when Lee Favreau of Milwaukee became the editor and publisher. A number of changes took place under Mr. Favreau's leadership. Page size was reduced, the use of ready-print newsprint discontinued and finally the page size reduced to tabloid size, all in 1952.
Mr. Favreau introduced the first offset newspaper to Loyal.
Mr. Favreau also moved The Tribune from the building, which now houses the Loyal School and Office Supply to its present site next to the bowling alley.
The Tribune changed hands again on Nov. 6, 1961, when W. D. (Bill) and Jean Hesse of Minnesota Lake, Minn. became the publishers.
In 1964 the Hesses acquired the Spencer Record from Charles Neuenfeldt, a son of William Neuenfeldt, publisher from 1914 - 1916.
Change of ownership took place again on Sept. 28, 1968, when Robert and Florence Berglund became Editor and Publishers of the Loyal Tribune and Spencer Record.
The Berglunds bought the Greenwood Gleaner from Albert Neuenfeldt, another son of former publisher Wm. Neuenfeldt in June 1969. The last regular edition of the Loyal Tribune came off the press with the June 12, 1969 issue. Beginning with the June 19, 1969 edition, the paper's name was changed to the Tribune-Record-Gleaner, serving the communities of Loyal, Spencer and Greenwood. The TRG at the present time is the only offset newspaper published in Clark County and the coverage of the three communities is actually fulfilling a desire of the first publishers, to give the people of this area a newspaper well read by everyone.
News: Loyal, Wis. Tribune 53 Anniversary (1947)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs