Township farms are, as yet, all comparatively small, but are
now being made larger each year. Many of the settlers are thrifty
Germans and Norwegians, and their energy and perseverance, together
with other settlers who may move into the town, will soon develop
its resources and make it rank among the best in the county.
It already has some large mills, which are doing a flourishing
business in the manufacture of pine and hardwood lumber.
The surface of the town is somewhat rolling, though it is more
nearly level than many of the towns in the county.
The Popple river flows in a Southeasterly course across the town,
and many other smaller streams water the surface.
Hay is a very heavy crop, and cattle and sheep raising is quite
profitable, though the farmers are just beginning to turn their
attention to that branch of agriculture.
Though there has been much timber cut in this town, by far the
larger part of the town is still covered with standing timber, which
is each year becoming more and more valuable.
The flourishing little village of Curtiss is in this town - in the
Southeastern part, on the line between Mayville and Hoard. The large
mills of A. D. Bass are located at Curtiss. A large number of men
are employed in the mill, and an immense quality of lumber is
manufactured and shipped each year. The mercantile business is well
represented in Curtiss, there being several stores in the village.
There is also a hotel, two or three blacksmith shops, and many other
places of business.
Mr. A. N. Virch is the postmaster in the village, and also runs a
large general store there.
Although farming is in its infancy in this locality, there are large
quanities of hay shipped from this station during the winter months.
The Wisconsin Central railroad runs through the Southern part of the
town, and is doing much in developing the natural resources of the
town, as the town was never opened up to civilization until the
building of the road. Improvements of all kinds are now being
Wagon roads are now being constructed through different parts of the
town. New school districts are being formed and new school buildings
erected, religious organizations are springing into existence and
erecting places of worship, and public spirit is being manifested in
New settlers are coming in each month and the unoccupied land , of
which there are large tracts, is gradually being taken up. The
growth of the town cannot be shown in figures as it has been
organized since the census of 1885. The growth of the two towns,
Hoard and Mayville, which were formerly one, is shown by the
following figures: In 1875 the population of the two townships was
487; in 1880 it was 1249; in 1885 it was 1517, and is now 1750.
The town officers for 1890 are H. J. Collier,
chairman; Oluf Thompson, clerk;
R. E. Schoenemann, treasurer; John F. Dahlberg,
assessor. Source: "Clark County Illustrated" (1890).