[Memory Trails Index]


Janet Schwarze

For a while Reid Murdock had a pickle station near where Bergstom’s garage is now. One fall we had a fair in there. A lot of us young folks displayed our fancy work and wore the ribbons we won.

The Opera House was about where the gym is now. We had class plays, graduations, dances, shows that came to town and roller skating there.

The Telephone Office was in the rear of the building now Weddig’s Drug Store. N. J. Charette had a grocery store there about the time the Company Store closed.

The Canning Factory was always in its present location. The Owen Box and Crating Company used to have their factory, lumber yard and dry kiln where the Post Co. is now located. Boxes and ironing boards were manufactured there. Girls worked there during World War I in place of young men who went into the service.

The side walk and Highway 16 (Yellowstone Trail) crossed the mill pond bridge over the dent. Sometimes the water was so high we were afraid to walk over it.

The big rail-road bridge over Popple River behind the school house was a meeting place when the weather was nice. We used to skate on Popple River way down to Meek’s Dam and up above Red Bridge. When the Mill Pond was safe, we skated on it and on up to the bridge on the North Withee road.

The Company made ice on the north end of the mill pond. We couldn’t skate there after ice cutting started.

In 191) there was a flood and we kids used pieces of wood side walks for rafts and floated all around the east end of town. The clean-up of our homes after the water went down wasn’t as much fun.


Mrs. Harry Bull -- Teacher in Maplehurst some forty years ago

Maplehurst was probably started between 1900 and 1902. It was a sawmill town founded by Gee. Blackburn and J. Bost. The mill was operated as Squaw Creek Lumber Co. and was located on what is now the L. Wisniewisid farm. It was a good sized industry getting its logs and bolts from the surrounding woods supplied by individuals and the company’s logging camps.

The first house, built for a boarding house, is still standing on the property of Olive Bull. Also located there is a company barn used to stable the horses that brought the logs and bolts to the mill, hauled the finished product to Withee, and brought back supplies.

The village was plotted and divided into out lots and blocks. It has been said it was the best plotted village in Taylor Co. The streets were all named. What is now Co. Trunk T was East Main St. Co. Trunk A was Knapp St. built by Harry Merrill, Orvil and Harry Bull. They used a team of Oxen for pulling the stumps and other work done by machinery today.

One of the earliest settlers in this community was a Helm’s family. They lived on what used to be known as the John Larson farm on the west side of Black River on Co. Trunk T. Mr. Helms began a German type castle on the river but passed away before it was completed. It was in the Helms’ home that the first school was held. One of the teachers was Eleanor Packard from the town of Hoiway. Later a school was built on Outlet C. Other early teachers were: Ethel Cheney, Ellen Christnian, Alma Herrick, Frances Drake and Marguerite Drake. This building is now used as the Maplehurst Town Hall.

There was a large 2 story building used for a Company General Store and a good sized 2 story brick hotel where the men that worked at the mill boarded and roomed. There was also a 2 story saloon. Another large store built by Nathan Drake was also a post office for a time. The mail was brought by Stage Route from Withee. A Mr. Heski drove the route at one tine.

Names of people living or working in the village when it was flourishing are: Beirman, Miles, Joe and Walter Lwidy, Steinberg, Snyder, Drolshagen, Freese, Alton, Holcombe, Scranton, krndt, Tormey, Smith, Hunejager and Moody. Some of the names of people that ran the hotels and boarding houses were: Berry, Wm. Nichols,(father of Ethel Nichols Bender who taught the Munson (Willow Dale School) in the 20’s) Maurer, Planticgo and Anderson.

A tragedy happened at the mill yard in March of the spring of 1907. Two 12 year old boys played around and on the rollways of logs in spite of many warnings. The spring weather caused a rollway to break and the logs rolled over the boys killing both. One was an Anderson boy (nephew of the late Sven Svenson the other was an Arndt boy.

There had been hope of a railroad coming to the village so a right of way was graded and ties laid for approximately a mile, but the railroad missed Maplehurst.



[Memory Trails Index]




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel