[Memory Trails Index]

 

Transcription

Janet Schwarze

 

been associated with the Bank since November 1917, and now serves as its President. Miss Soherfís parents were pioneer settlers in the area, coming to Withee in 1902.


Another development in the growth of the Village, upon its incorporation, was the addition of a newspaper, the Withee Sentinel, established in 1901 by Mrs. A. L. Barager, who was assisted by her sons, Vernon, Miles and Irving, and it was there that the young boys were introduced to type lice. The building was located just south of the intersection of Second and Division Streets, on the East Side of the street. In 191k it was sold to A. K. Stauning, who changed the name to the Clark County Journal. In 1915 he sold it to Peter Lang. A few years later, Withee ceased to publish a paper and the Withee news was incorporated in the Owen Enterprise which was established in 19Th by Vernon Barager, and his mother, Mrs. A. Barager. They purchased the Enterprise from a Mr. Sherry.


1902 brought the Catholic Church to the Village.


In the early 1900ís several lodges were active, the Modern Woodmen, the I.O.O.F., and the Royal Neighbors of America. Home talent plays and lyceum courses were an important part of the social life.


The water system was installed in 1907 at a cost of $11,000. The methods engaged in installing the system, naturally took several years to accomplish, the old pick and shovel way of digging, excavating and hand connections. The majority of the water mains were installed in 1912 and 1913 under the superintendency of Mr. Herman Bartholomay, who served as Water Superintendent, Street Commissioner, Village Marshall and Constable from 1912 to 19k5. It is believed that Mr. Bartholcmay held the State record in being elected by the people to 3k consecutive terms as Constable.


In 1908, the year after the water system was installed, the volunteer fire department was organized. The great loss by fire in the history of Withee was in 1897 when the Tufts store burned. In l949 Withee became a member of the Owen Community Fire Department and in 1961 Withee was supplied with its first automotive fire truck.


1911 was the year in which a large addition was erected on the school. The construction men were Mr. Louis Meyer, Mr. Henry Barthclcmay and his sons, Louis, Herman and Henry Jr. Then in 1937 additional class rooms and the gymnasium were added.


1903 established the St. Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Village, with the present church building erected in 1914.

 


Picture used through the courtesy of Griebenow Co, Owen
and Mr. & Mrs. Peter Krarup
 


In november 1912, the District Superintendent of the Methodist Episccpal Church asked permission to hold services in the Congregational Church, which permission was granted in 1913, and then developed into the discontinuance of the Congregational Church and the organization of the first Methodist Church in 191k. Mr. E. J. Jeffery was the first Methodist minister.


As a memorial to the World War I veterans, a group of women organized the Withee Library. This was under the leadership of Mrs. Clyde Nielsen, Mrs. C. Beilfuss and Mrs. J. Christensen. Mrs. Nielsen was the first librarian.


The latest church to be organized was the Seventh Day Adventist. They organized in 1931 and held their first meetings in the club rooms over the post office building. In 1938 they acquired the old Modern Woodmen Lodge building located on Second Street and remodeled or rebuilt it for the purposes of their church.


The fail of 1960 terminated the railroad passenger service to Withee, and the razing of the depot came a year later.


The latest municipal project is the addition of a sewage system, installed in 1960 by the H. F. Radandt Co. of Eau Claire, and which was hooked up for use in January 1961. The system runs down highway 29 east, to join the City of Owen sewage disposal unit.
Consolidation of the Owen-Withee High Schools and the establishment of a Junior High School was accomplished in 1955. The Junicr High being located in Withee and the Senior High in Owen. January 1962,
 


[Next]


[Memory Trails Index]

 

 

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE