Ground for New Church
Hendren Twp., Clark Co., Wisconsin
Willard - with
more than half the funds already raised, Holy Family parishioners witnessed
ground-breaking rites Sunday, April 30, for a new $132,379 church and parish
The 125 - family parish decided to
start a building fund in 1960 and voted in October of 1965 to build the
structure now underway. Construction is expected to be completed this year.
Working with Bishop F. W. Freking
and with the pastor, Father William V. Nikolai, the parish building committee
made long and serious studies for this project.
The building committee includes: Frank L. Govek, trustee; Val Krainz, Sr.;
trustee; William Bayuk, Julius Klapatauskas, Sr., Henry Lamovec, Sr.; John F.
Trunkel, Sr., Frank Volsek, Jr.
Much credit must go to these laymen
for their hard decisions, serious planning and interest in their parish over the
past three years in many meetings,” Father Nikolai said.
The firm of Carl Billmeyer and Son,
Wisconsin Rapids, was nired as the artchitectural firm in 1965. Bids were let in
February of 1967 and opened at a meeting of the Building Committee on the
evening of March 16.
Bishop Freking and Father Nikolai
were also present with the architect for this occasion. Bids were accepted and
contracts were negotiated.
At a meeting of the building committee on April 20, all the men of the building
committee signed the contracts in the presence of the architect and pastor.
The pastor also signed as vice
president and the Parish Corporation and contracts were subsequently signed by
the Most Rev. Freking, Bishop of the Diocese of La Crosse and President of the
Holy Family Parish Corporation.
Receiving contracts for the new
church and center were: general construction - Ellis Stone Construction Company
of Stevens Point $108, 506; plumbing, heating and ventilation - Hurlburt Heating
Company, Inc. of Durand, $15,223; electrical contract - Peroshek Electric of
Greenwood, $8,650; a total of $132, 379.
Parishioners collected a total of
nearly $69,000 since they began the fund in 1960.
The new construction will be erected
on a site just across from the present rectory to the south and southeast of the
present church structure. The property was purchased already in 1924.
The present church is the original
frame church built in 1912. The new structure will be of concrete block with
modulated buff brick veneer.
The church will seat 300 adults and
is designed to serve all requirements of modern liturgical practices and is in
modern contemporary style. The building will have a double entrance surrounding
the baptistery, and will be entered from the south.
On the north end of the building there will be a wing extending to the east,
with a modern kitchen, cloak rooms, storage, library-conference room and parish
This center will be for catechetical
work, of eight classrooms, divided by movable walls of fabric construction,
which can be stacked so that the room can serve for meetings and dinners, to
seat from 225 to 250 adults.
Most of the construction will be
completed by the end of 1967. All construction will be on one floor, with no
Blueprint and Groundbreaking Photos
on Page 12.
Father William V. Nikolai (below)
turns spadeful of ground in ceremonies marking construction of their new church
by members of Holy Family Parish, Willard. Interested onlookers are members of
the parish building committee.
Above is copy of blueprint of the
new parish plant, showing arrangement of sanctuary and nave, and the baptistery
at the entrance (lower left); the service section, upper left; and the parish
center. Note that the parish center can be divided into eight classrooms for
catechetical instructions classes. When the movable walls are stacked, the
center will seat 250 persons for meetings and dinners. The new church will
replace the original frame building dating from 1912. See story and picture on
by Mary Urban; prepared by
Crystal Wendt &
1949, Refugees Sponsored by Holy Family
1987, Willard Parish celebrates 'Vinska Trgatev'