Return to Index
Surveying and Platting--Settlers
In 1847 Eaton Township was surveyed and the first land was taken by Hiram Piets on September 28, 1849. In 1864 an election for County Treasurer was held at the George Huntzicker home. There were twenty-two voters in the precinct, but one generous candidate served free drinks, free meals and a free dance, and as a result, he obtained one hundred and one votes, many loggers coming from, up and down the river to swell the number.
About 1867 the question of laying out a village contiguous to lumbering operations began to be first, mooted; but no decisive action was taken until supplies, which had previously been purchased at Neillsville and Black River Falls, were accessible in the vicinity of what is now Greenwood. Then the long debated subject was favorable to such an enterprise, and preparations were made to begin the founding of a village. In the meantime, July 20, 1869, the Town of Eaton was created, and consisted of Thorp, Withee, Hixon, Longwood, Warner and Eaton and ten towns in Taylor County.
The first town meeting was held April 5, 1870, at the Stephen Case Honeywell home. The motion for the temporary organization was made by Jones Tompkins. The officers were: Chairman, Harry Mead; side inspectors, Caleb and James Edmunds; clerk, C. W. Carpenter. It was voted to raise $1,900, of which $1,000 was for road, $500 for incidental and $400 for school purposes. The first board met May 3, 1870, and consisted of Thomas Steele, chairman; Jacob Huntzicker and Harry Mead with C. W, Carpenter, Clerk.
The creation of Beaver Township, March 15, 1870, took from Eaton six of the townships in what is now Taylor county. The creation of Hixon Township, February 24, 1873 left Eaton with the present towns of Warner and Eaton. January 9,1874, the present town of Mead was detached from Weston and added to Eaton. November 14, 1874, Warner was created, leaving Eaton with its present boundaries. But November 16, 1874 the present town of Hendren was added to Eaton; Eaton then including the present town of Hendren and Eaton. The organization of Hendren in April 1911 again left Eaton with its present boundaries.
The second town meeting was held at the Geo. Huntzicker home. On June 6,1871, William Welsch, with the assistance of Frank Brown, Charles Hogue, and Oscar Nutting surveyed and platted the village. The nearest land office was then at Eau Claire.
There was a main street, and some time later another was opened, running east from the city lot corner, called "Stove Pipe Alley" for many years, until in 1895 it received the dignified name of Division Street.
The building now occupied by Ed Schwarze, implement dealer, served as the Town Hall, elections were held there and all other business transactions carried on by the town board. After the village was incorporated as a city, the lower front room of the Peterson building, south of the telephone office was used as a council room; later the council moved into the south lower room of the old school house, after the new high school was built, and remained there until the Baptist church was bought by the city, which is now occupied by the City Fathers as often as it is deemed necessary.
In 1872 or '73, one ticket, called the Town Ticket, has the following names,
John Stewart, Chairman
For Town Clerk
J. A. Honeywell
B. F. Brown
For Justice of the Peace
Dr. H. J. Thomas, long term
A. S. Eaton, long term
John Syth, short term
J. Edmunds, short term.
S. C. Durham
W. D. Eastman
For Sealer of Weights and Measures
Another ticket, not quite so old, called the Peoples Ticket, has these names:
For Chairman--Oscar Fricke
Treasurer--S. M. Andrews
Justice of the Peace--Abe Chadwick, Henry Johnson
Constable--Charles Hogue, Mike O’Connell
The village of Greenwood was incorporated as a city by an act of legislature (chapter 131, Laws of Wisconsin, 1891) and approved April 2, 1891. The first election was held May 5, 1891, in charge of officials of the town of Eaton, Oscar Fricke, S. L. Gates and John Stoneberg being the inspectors, John Huntzicker and Kinzie Andrews, the clerks, and William Fricke and Robert McCalvey the. Ballot clerks. The successful candidates were: Mayor, David Justice; Aldermen, Robert Schofield, B. P. Thompson, L. W. Larson, and Dave Shanks, Treasurer, S. M. Andrews; Clerk, Elias Peterson; Assessor, H. H. Hartson; Police Justice, A. A. Hartson; Supervisor, John Stewart; Justice of the Peace, E. T. Pratt and T. A. Anderson. Among the other candidates were G. L. Buland, G. D. Andrews (Dudley); H. W. Hunt, Jesse Crane, Henry Oxford, G. B. Begley, A. M. White and Alfred Dingley.
The first meeting of the council was held May 19, 1891. Ed Hommel was appointed street commissioner, marshal and chief of police. Dr. H. J. Thomas, health officer and F. M. Carter and Mike O'Connell, constables.
A new survey and replat was made in 1895 by William Agnew, with names of streets as they appear now. The city council, consisting of the mayor, supervisor and four aldermen, accepted the survey and replat on December 3, 1895; Lorenzo Sperbeck being mayor and Elias Peterson city clerk.
Several changes have been made in the city plat pertaining to the various out-lots. Records show that J. C. Miller owned a one-half interest in Lot 17 which consisted of forty-five acres, known as Miller's addition. This has been subdivided into lots of uniform size.
An ordinance was passed and adopted to create two wards on March 31, 1931. The object of creating two wards was to increase the representation on the County Board. Henry Stabnow and Adolph Schwarze were elected as supervisors for the year 1931. In that year the state passed a law that all cities with a population of less than eight hundred inhabitants, could elect only one supervisor. We still have two wards, however (February 1934).
The present mayor is Edw. Buker, and John Arends city clerk; the aldermen being: George Speich, Edgar Opdycke, Charles Pickruhn and Albert Shanks, Dr. J. R. Thomas, supervisor.
At the time Clark County was an uninhabited wilderness (except for Indians and wild animals) the following centenarians were born in different foreign countries and in different parts of the United States, and they were destined to meet and together become active, each in his own pursuits, in the development of this community.
Peter Lantz, born in Metz, Germany, February 13, 1833, came to the United States with his parents in 1838, and to Longwood in 1892.
Elisa Peterson, born near Trondhjem, Norway, 27, 1833, came to Neillsville, 1870, and located at Greenwood in 1871.
Alfred Charles Alton, born in Vermont, September 30, 1833, came to the vicinity of Greenwood in 1877.
Henry Huntzicker, born in Alsace Lorraine, France, November 8, 1833, a subject of Louis Napoleon, came to the vicinity of Greenwood in 1856.
Harry Mead, born in Duchess County, New York, November 19, 1833, came to the vicinity of
In 1865, when there were only three farms between Greenwood and Neillsville, namely the George and Henry Huntzicker farms and the I. P. Cummings farm, which is known now as the Mark Chadwick farm. In 1866, Mr. Mead built a log house in the wilderness about six -miles north of Greenwood; later the log house was replaced by a large and beautiful frame house.
The earliest settlers about Greenwood include John Dwyer, Elijah Eaton, who came in 1848, Stephen Case Honeywell in 1856, Samuel Lambert, Henry, George and Jacob Huntzicker and I. P. Cummings, came in the early 50's. Caleb and Jane Edmunds came from Canada in 1866 and homesteaded the land now owned by Ed Hinker. Francis Harlow came in 1856, returned to Canada, then came again in 1872.
G. C. Andrews, came in 1858 when the present main street was a wilderness, with an abundance of sugar maple, making an ideal spot for his sugar camp, where he made sugar and syrup in the spring of 1859. Mr. Andrews went back to Canada, but returned to Greenwood in 1871.
Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Carpenter, parents of George Carpenter, known to old associates as Ly Kurkis, came from Iowa in 1857 to visit Mrs. Carpenter's sister, Mrs. Elijah Eaton, who resided in Eaton town, located then on the west bank of Black River near the Rapids, where Van Dusen and Waterman had erected a mill, which was sold to Elijah Eaton and Samuel Lambert in 1854. Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter walked the entire distance from Weston's Rapids, about fourteen miles, Mrs. Carpenter carrying a child in her arms; George, then four years old, walking most of the way, Mr. Carpenter carrying a pack on his back with their personal belongings. Being favorably impressed with the surroundings they remained. The following year, 1858, their third child Olive Francis (Mrs. Frank Pfeiffer) was born, being the first white child born in Greenwood. In 1859 Mr. Carpenter preempted 120 acres of land, built the second house, a log cabin, which he sold to S. C. Honeywell, and who later sold it to Steve Andrews. It is used now by Ed Schwarze as a storage place for farm, machinery.
The first house in Greenwood was built by S. C. Honeywell, on the lot now owned by Mrs. Dahlby, and was a log shanty, which sat back a few rods from the main street. Collette Durham had come and built a frame house on the present site of "The Pines" filling station. S. Case Honeywell finally built a frame house, which was considered a modern, up- to-date ho-me with green shutters at the windows, a board walk and picket fence. This house has been enlarged and remodeled and is now owned by Lee Jolivette.
In the fall of 1866, John Bowerman came from Canada, settled on the land now owned by Albert Dahl, built a log cabin, and proceeded to make a farm. Wm. Begley had built a log house and opened a hotel in 1870. So at the time Greenwood was surveyed and plated in 1871, there were only five houses standing in the midst of thick pine and hardwood forests: Carpenter's, Honeywell's. Durham's, Bowerman's, and Begley's. Besides the mill, there were a few houses in Eaton Town, including the red boarding house and barn.
Others who, came in the 60's were Tom Vine in 1862, who enlisted in the Union Army in 1863 at Neillsville, returning to Greenwood at the close of the war; John Shanks in 1863," and in 1866 married Ann McMahon, locating on land south of Greenwood, living at the Henry Huntzicker home while building a one room log cabin 14xl6 with a scoop roof. He had practically nothing but his determination and one or two small tools. He walked to Neillsville for supplies. After two years they were able to buy a cow. Mr. Shanks was foreman in the woods for James McKinley and later did lumbering for himself. They moved to Greenwood in 1881 and engaged in the hotel business and stock-buying. He also served as mayor of the city several years. Charles Cummings came in 1865.
John Stewart came in 1866, and John McMahon, who settled four miles south at "McMahon's Corners," also owned what is now the Eugene McMahon property; the house was then on Main Street, South of Collette Durham's, better known as "The Pines" filling station today. Jones Tompkins, John McCarty and John Cox came in 1867. Mr. Cummings was in the dray business, hauling freight from Withee and Neillsville for many years. Robert McCalvey, Frank Pfeiffer, Anthony and Chris Larson came in 1868. Chris Larson was a cabinet maker, making spinning wheels, cabinets, scrool and bracket work. Some of his work can still be found in one of the older homes. Bob Grover was the first cabinet maker in Greenwood but did not remain long. Steve Andrews, Nehemiah Hubble, father of Walter Hubble, William Mead, Alex Shanks and Tom Syth came in the late 60's.
Homer Root came west from New York in 1869 with the idea of obtaining a position as principal of a school while taking up land. On reaching the Black River district, he decided to engage in logging. With headquarters at Greenwood, he secured his experience in various camps. In 1874 he became a partner with B. P. Thompson and in eleven years they had logged fifty-five million feet of pine. In 1888, Mr. Root was elected County Clerk and moved to Neillsville where he still resides (1934). Mr. Thompson was mayor of the city for some time.
Joseph Gibson left his home in Canada April 30, 1858, when he was ten years of age, in company with another lad, they having run away from home. They reached La Crosse two weeks later, Mr. Gibson's mother had died just previous to his leaving. He did chores for a Mr. Baker four years and during that time received fifty cents, the only money he had received in this country! He enlisted in the Union Army at the age of fifteen years. His companion, with whom he ran away from Canada, was also a soldier in the Sixth Wisconsin Regiment and was killed at the battle of the Wilderness. After the war Mr. Gibson worked in a saw-mill, then in the woods during the winter and drove logs in the summer; he was a noted log-rider, and specially adapted to breaking jam on the river. At nineteen he became foreman for Bright and Withee. They subsequently took him in as a partner on contracts. He was married in 1869, and in 1871 began logging for himself. In 1872 they settled on land west of Longwood, first living in a tent with no one but Indians for neighbors. Mrs. Gibson saw but two white women in three months; she taught several Indian women how to make clothing. When the Greenwood State Bank was organized Mr. Gibson was a leading stockholder, and the first president of the bank.
William Armstrong, father of Al Armstrong, owned and operated the farm joining the John Stafford farm on the north. The first house on the place was just east of those pines we see along the highway; later James Bryden, a son-in-law of Mr. Armstrong, bought the farm and built the present house.
Jim Chandler and B. P. Brown came from Black River Falls in 1870 and opened a general store. Mr. Chandler was the father of Mrs. Brown and Woodie Chandler. Mr. and Mrs. Brown's little daughter, Maude, was the first white child born in Greenwood after the village was laid out. She died at the age of twelve or fourteen years, and was buried in Augusta, Wisconsin. Mose Baird, a clerk in the Chandler and Brown store married Lizzie Durham, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Collette Durham Coeley Stone, a brother-in-law of B. F. Brown was here at the same time that B. F. Brown was here, both clerked.
Martin Mathison came in 1870, located on land east of Greenwood on Rock Creek, later moved to the present home where Mrs. Mathison (grandma) still resides with a son and daughter. Grandma Mathison is the oldest of the pioneers remaining. She was nintey-eight years old October 13, 1933.
She is blind and deaf, but otherwise quite well considering her advanced age.
Niran Withee came in 1870, and in 1875 was elected county treasurer, which office he held until 1882, when he was succeeded by his brother Hiram.
William Hommel, father of Mary Warner and Ed Hommel, owned
the farm on the east side of Highway 73, across from the Rob Syth home.
Some years after the death of Mr. Hommel, Mrs.
Hommel was married to Moses Babb, whose place is known as the Frank Drake place. Mr. Babb's buildings were in the southwest corner of the land. Across the road to the south, near the gravel pit, was a small house occupied by George A. Austin, who was foreman of the Michaeljohn and Hatton stavemill.
Steve Moore, C. P. Hogue, Knud Anderson, Larry Drinkwine and Frank Zetsche came in 1870.
Mark B. Warner located at what is known as Warner's corners in 1871. The Warner home is the building on the southwest corner.
Hiram Shields rafted logs down the Mississippi River to St. Louis. On his way north again he heard about the wonderful stand of pine on Black River. He decided to come farther north to see what it was like, and became one of the pioneer settlers in the early 70's.
Fred Decker, and his son Henry W., who was seven years old, Herman Schwarze, William Vollrath, John Syth, Carl Richlieu, Elias Peterson, Sylvanus Gates and Henry Johnson (Solid Hank) came in 1871. A. W. Bailey, first undertaker in the village, came in 1872.
Louis Rossman, P. M. Stevens, Dr. H. J. Thomas, the first doctor; H. W. Varney, Ole Peterson, Frederick Buker, Ole Oleson, Simon Johnson, Ole Johnson came in 1873. A. S. Eaton, came from Black River Falls in 1873, built what is now known as Schiller's furniture store, also owned land which was known as Eaton's addition after the platting was done, Mrs. Eaton, being B. P. Brown's sister.
Jack Farning came in 1874; Wm. Fricke, Sr. in 1876; James Syth in 1877; Henry Humke and Ira Barr in 1878.
Robert Schofield came to Clark County in 1855, locating at Greenwood about 1879, having previously lived at Weston's Rapids. Mr. Schofield bought Elijah Eaton's miles and continued to saw lumber and grind flour for several years, Hank Moe, being the miller. Mr. Schofield also built one of the finest homes in this part of the country. It was erected in 1880 at a cost of $12,000. The Itevell Company of Chicago did the interior decorating.
L. W. Larson, who rafted logs on the Mississippi River, and came to Greenwood in 1879, was foreman in Robert Schofield's lumber camp for four years and three years for Price and Gibson. In 1889 he was appointed postmaster. Cy (Cyrus) Dewey was foreman of the Withee estate which consisted of 21,530 acres in Longwood and Hixon townships. Then came John Brown, H. W. Hunt, who became Mr. Brown's partner, and Horace Weston, general merchants. Dave and Hugh Shanks, Frank Carter.
William Cornick, Christ Vates, Christ Wollenberg, a Mr. Moss, first jeweler, Len Eastman, Mike O'Connell, Phillip and Paul Rosmnan, Hastings Baird, Mr. Gosnold, Edward Mitchell, who had seven wives; the three Miller brothers, Charley, Tom and Ed., who married the three Honeywell sisters; the Hewetts, McKinzies, Bill Pounder, Bill Abbott, Dr. G. L. Buland, the second doctor; E. T. Burch, H. H. Hartson, Fritz Gaaretz and Pete Klein. Alfred Dingley came in 1881; Andrew Peterson in 1883. Then there was Robert Eggett, Peter Simmons, John and Hezekiah Hubble, Dan Cook, the last, besides engaging in farming did blacksmithing in the lumber camps.
Elliot Crocker owned a large portion of the land lying east of Andrews Street, south to Division Street, east to what would be Jones Street, if extended (Jones Street ends at Division Street) then north to Begley street, and west to Andrews Street, there being but a few out-lots owned by other parties. Mr. Crocker’s portion was then a pine slashing. He offered to give Matthew Marvin who was a cooper, an acre of this land if he cleared it all; which Mr. Marvin proceeded to do, inviting all the settlers to a logging bee, thereby obtaining free help and his acre of land, on which he built the house now owned by Bert Brown, and surrounded by pine trees, which Mr. Marvin planted. Many others came, too numerous to mention, as the villiage had a population of 250 in 1881.
Ernest Cox, who is now sixty-nine years old, has lived here for sixty-seven years and J. S. Andrews for sixty-three years.
The first marriage among these early settlers was that of John Honeywell and Rachel Hodges in the fall of 1871. The first death was that of Mrs. Charlotte Honeywell (Mrs. S. C.) in 1870.
The old pioneers remaining have retired from their various activities and are spending their declining years in the little city they helped to build, surrounded by their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.
The first school in the town was taught by David Hosely in a log cabin a little north of the present site of the Herb Westcott Plumbing and Heating shop. Pupils of the school were children of Elijah Eaton, John Dwyer and Case Honeywell. Then there was Ern Cox and Walter Edmunds and doubtless others.
The second school, usually called the Red School house, was located just back of the present site of the Postoffice, facing Main Street, and the yard was enclosed by a picket fence. Posts, rounded off on the top, were driven into the ground; these were placed irregularly with space large enough for a person to pass through. This served as an entrance and kept the cattle out, as the present street and alleys were a common pasture. Steve Andrews received $600 in tax certificates for building it.
Some of the teachers in this school were Mrs. Travis, Susie Sewell, Horace Draper, Mrs. C. Chandler, Mary Honeywell and later Elizabeth Andrews Bowen. Among the pupils were: Anna Andrews (Johnstone), Belle Andrews (Cadman), Cecelia Honeywell, Walter Edmunds, Melissa Bowerman (Warner), May Bowerman (Parker), Mary Peterson (Johnson), P. E. Peterson, Al Armstrong, Claude Carter, Gene Cummings, Lola Cummings (Behrens), Harry, Oscar and Will Hogue, Eugene McMahon, Louise Vates, Henry Warner, Jack Syth, Fred Hubble, George Slater, Annie Peterson (Dyre), Ed. Hommel, with many others whose names we have been unable to recall. Later this building was turned to face north on the street called "Stove Pipe Alley", remodeled into a home and was occupied until it burned in 1896.
During the summer of 1881, a new building designed for a graded school was erected on the present site of the "New High School," costing a total of $7,000. One teacher was employed, and the school board was Elias Peterson, director; W. F. Armstrong, secretary; and Steve Andrews, treasurer. The expense incident to the support of the school, during the year was $650.
As the population grew, rnore teachers were added, improvements made, and finally it became necessary to enlarge the building. In 1894 a high school department was organized under the principalship of B. 0. Dodge, offering the following courses: English and German, followed by Agriculture. The first class of graduates was Eva Miller and Mabel Varney in 1898.
The new high school building was started in 1913 and was opened to the public March 16,1914 with an appropriate program, teachers and pupils moving in the following week. O. J. Thompson was principal. The school board consisted of P. W. Gullord, clerk; H. H. Hartson, director; G. W. Bishop, treasurer. The new building has a complete gymnasium in addition to the usual recitation, assembly, cloak and office rooms. The play-ground is well equipped, the yard is beautified with trees, shrubs and flower-beds. In the northeast corner of the yard is the flag pole, a gift from Lynn Miller, a former Greenwood boy, who shipped it here from Washington. It was in one piece, 150 foot long, being the tallest in the state. Two more courses have been added, Manual Training and Domestic Science. In 1919 and 1920 a High School orchestra was organized and directed by Marion J. Hunt, but later was discontinued. In the past two years a band and glee club have been added.
The present faculty consists of eleven members, with A. H. Muenchow principal. The present school board consists of Dr. J. R. Thomas, director; I. W. Stafford, clerk; O. C. Hoehne, treasurer.
A parochial school is conducted in connection with St. Mary's Catholic Church. The building used, for school purposes is of brick and is surrounded by a large play-ground. Three Franciscan Sisters are employed as teachers, eight grades being taught.
It was from Neillsville that the work of the Greenwood Methodist Society had its beginning. The first religious services were held in Greenwood in the winter of 1866, when the Rev. S. S. Smith of Neillsville came and held services in the little log schoolhouse. Services and other meetings continued to be held in this schoolhouse for some two or three years. In 1868, the church society was duly organized by Rev. H. W. Bushnell of Neillsville, and the three people who may be called its founders were Caleb Edmunds, Mrs. Hannah Bowerman, and Mrs. Charlotte Honeywell. The Rev. Bushnell preached here until 1871 when he was followed by Rev. S. E. McLain, who became the first regular pastor.
This same year, 1871, George Andrews had returned from Canada. As he was a local minister, he conducted services in the little village, went into lumber camps, homes, schoolhouses or churches, preaching, which he continued to do until within a few weeks of his death.
The following ministers have served the church since: S. E. McLain, (1871-1972); S. P. Waldron (1872-1873); M. Woodly, (1873-1875); John Holt, (Oct. 1875); J. J. Garvin, (1875-1876); John M. Phillips, (1876-1878); Benjamine Reeves (1878-1879); Charles Barker, (1879-1880); C. C. Swartz, (1880-1882); J. J. Austen, (1882-1883). N. C. Bradley, (1883-1885); R. A. Rayson, (1886-1387); W. H. Risteen, (1887-1888); James Jefferson, (1889-1891); John Haw, (1891-1895); Paul Hull, (1895-1899); W. E. Kloster, (1899-1903); W. W. Hurlburt, (1903-1904); C. 0. Presnell, (1904-1906); C. W. Marange, (1906-1907); J. J. Robinson, (1907-1908) W. H. Norton, (1908-1909); W. E. Marsh, 1909-1911); Herbert Bastow, (1911-1912); J. Scott Willmarth, (1912-1916); Harry G. Rainey, (1916-1918); J. Moates, (1918-1920); E. M. Bickel, (1920-1923); T. 0. Thompson, (1923-1926); D. S. Householder, (1926-1931); R. H. Maddock, (1931-1933); Glenn Shanks, (1933) is the present pastor.
The first Methodist church was built in 1877, and sold to the United Lutheran society in 1902.
The present church was dedicated in 1902 under the pastorate of Rev. E. Kloster.
The first resident pastor of St. Mary's Catholic church was Father Henry Boeckmann (.1909-1913); Previous to that time services were held by the priest from Loyal. Local members also had attended at Loyal and Neillsville before this time.
The present church edifice was erected in 1877 by the M. E. congregation, but purchased from later owners, the United Lutheran church members. It has been raised and remodeled by the present owners. In Father Boeckmann's time, probably 1909, the parsonage was erected. He was also instrumental in the founding of the parochial school, still flourishing.
Successive pastors have been: Fathers Joseph Pollak, (1913-1915); W. T. Hackner, R. B. lbold, in 1915; C. A. Achtelik, (1916-1923); J. J. Novak of Willard as vacancy pastor, Sylvester Frye, (1923-1928); Wm. Daniels, (1928-1932). The present pastor, G F. Schuh, has been here since 1932.
The first Presbyterian minister was Rev. W. T. Hendren, who moved here in the late ‘80's from Neillsville and conducted services and Sunday School in Pratt's Hall, the present site of the Flatz filling station. He built the home now occupied by Dr. Currie, and under his leadership the church now known as "Zion Reformed Church of Greenwood" was built.
The Reformed Church had its beginning with the first service conducted by Rev. J. Schmalz of the Town of Warner, pastor of Immanuel Reformed Church on January 5, 1902. By January 29, 1905,
the congregation was organized with ten men as signers of the Constitution. Services were held in various halls and for a time in the Presbyterian church, which the congregation bought on April 11, 1915. Rev. E. G. Pfeiffer of Oshkosh, the present pastor, began his work on March 15, 1926; the parsonage was completed by February, 1927.
In the year 1873 Rev. C. H. Schoepfle came from La Crosse and held services in a public schoolhouse, known now as the Decker school. About a year later, in January 1874, the Immanuel Reformed Church was organized with the following seventeen charter,members: John and Philip Vollrath, August and Adolph Noah, Henry Humke, Mr. And Mrs. Henry Schwarze, Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Buker, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Decker and Mr. and Mrs. Ludwig Noah. Aside from these Wm. Vollrath and Herman Schwarze took active part in this newly organized church. In April 1875, forty acres of land were purchased from Russel H. Penfield for $160.
A two-storied log-house was then erected, the upper story serving as the church auditorium and the lower as the parsonage. This log church was later torn down, sawed into lumber, and made into a house which still stands three miles west of Greenwood, just south and across from. the Herman J. Olson farm. In 1890 a new church building was erected and in 1910 the present brick church was built.
The following ministers have served this congregation: C. H. Schoepfle, (1874-1878); Henry Bruengger, (1878-1882); G. Veenker, (1882-1884); C. Busch, (1885-1887); John Schmalz, (1888-1908); 0. Saewert, (1908-1916); F. Hall, (1916-1921); G. Zenk, (3 months); O. J. Vriesen, (1921-1929); P. H. Franzmeier, (1929) is the present pastor.
The Norse Evangelical Lutheran church society was organized on August 21, 1872 with the following members: Ole Johnson, Elias Peterson, Victor Hendrickson, Ole Christensen, Ole Peterson, Peter Christopherson and Simon Johnson. The, Rev. Alfson was the first minister to hold a service, which was held in a home.
The New Norse Lutheran church was built in 1915, when the name was changed to "The United Lutheran Church." Other pastors who have served this congregation were M. Sampson, a. L. Lobben, S. Berntzen, A. J. Anderson, A. Svano, Reishus, Erdal, A. B. Dyre, Theo. Kleppe. Since 1919 Rev. M. K. Aaberg has been its pastor.
Trinity Lutheran Church was begun as a mission by Rev. Otto Neuman, then of Fairchild, in 1908, and organized June 14th of that year with eight charter members: Robert H. Steffen, Simon Schwarze, Julius Voigt, M. Meinhardt, Mr. P. W. Gullord, Herman Froelich, Ferdinand Kuehn, G. H. Kaddatz. The old Baptist church building (now the City Hall) was rented for $10 for one year. The first resident pastor was Rev. C. F. Schrein. The permanent church home was erected in 1913. The parsonage was bought in 1911.
The first missionary served from 1908 to 1909 and again as vacancy pastor in 1911-12. These pastors have served Trinity church since 1909, C. F. Schrein till 1911, M. Wichmann, (1912-1914); L. A. Fischer, (1914); O. W. Schreiber (1915-1922); W. J. Kitzerow, (1923-1925); George Heilman since May 1925.
The originators of the work of the Baptist church in Greenwood were Mrs. P. L. Gwin, Mrs. W. Noble, Mrs. A. S. Eaton and Mrs. A. Dingley, in 1888; later Mrs. George Begley, Mrs. E. J. Carpenter and Mrs. Louise Hummel. The first meeting were held in the Methodist Church, now St. Mary’s church. Then for a time services were held in a hall owned by John Shanks, and also in private homes.
The first pastor was Rev. Parmenter, who served from (1888-1890). He was followed by Rev. Pettingill, (1891); Brother Vernon Phillips, (1892); Brother J. R. Brown, (2 months in 1894); C. W. Palmer, (1896-1897); Brother Johnson, (1897); Brother J. E. Noyes, (1898); Rev. House, (1899-1900); Rev. Scafe (1900-1902); Rev. Boardman, (1905-1906); S. E. Sweet, (1907-1912); Rev. Powlesland, (1912-1913); S. R. Dunlop, (1914-1916); Charles Alborn (1916-1917). The Baptist church was built in 1896 and dedicated in January 1897.
Methodist Camp meetings were religious services conducted by several pastors and held in some grove. A large tent was erected, a platform built for the pastors and choir, seats were made of rough boards, and the aisles were carpeted with straw. These services were held daily for a week or more. Those people coming from a distance brought small tents in which to live during these services. One of the earliest camp meetings was held at the east end of Stove Pipe Alley, in 'Uncle' John Bowerman's woods. Other meetings were held in Charley Miller's grove, and in a grove north of the Shields' farm and across the road from Dan Cook's farm. Beautiful groves for such occasions were numerous in those early days, as the little village was surrounded by forests.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
Become a Clark County History Buff
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,
Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,