Greenwood, Heading & Lumber (1892-1906)
The above photo was contributed by the Branstiter Museum and was printed from glass plates which were found in the Greenwood City Hall.
KIPPENHAN AND PALMS HEADING MILL
In 1892 or 93 the Hutchinson Cooperage Company of Peoria, Illinois, had a heading and stave mill on the north bank of Rock Creek, where they sawed staves and made heading from basswood, paying from $1.75 to $2.25 per cord for 34 inch bolts and employed about seventy-five men. The company applied for a $1,000.00 bonus from the city and got it.
In 1900, the Heading Mill pictured above was built by Kippenhan and Palms and was first put in operation in June 1900, and the following year Mr. Palms sold his interest to Chris Kippenhan, and the mill was then known, until 1905, as the Kippenhan Heading Mill, and which suffered a great loss by fire on Monday, June 11, 1904.
Shortly after one o'clock on this day, smoke was discovered issuing from the dry kiln which was full of heading being dried for finishing and in spite of the heroic work of firemen and volunteers and assistance from Loyal, the flames devasted property to the value of $10,000 to $15,000 with no insurance. Shortly after the fire, he built a new dry kiln, but the loss was such a heavy one that he could not regain his footing and was forced to file bankruptcy, even though generous subscriptions were given by our citizens. In February 1905, the business went into the hands of a receiver, and by whom the business was conducted for the benefit of its creditors until January 10, 1906.
GREENWOOD HEADING MILL
(The dam can be seen in the background)
A company composed of John Shanks as President, E. Bowen, Secretary and Treasurer, Thomas Fahey, Director, and W. H. Palms, Manager, organized and were incorporated under the title of the "Greenwood Heading and Lumber Company." In the Spring of 1906, this company bought the saw mill of Mr. Kippenhan which stood on the bank of the Black River west of town, moving the machinery to the present site and putting a new building for the same. The principle industry of this mill is the manufacture of barrel heading, and from which it derives its name. The company does a general retail lumber business, besides making window and door frames, and handling sash, door and all kinds of interior finishings, they also do custom sawing.
Greenwood Gleaner advertisement for the Greenwood Heading Mill.
SOURCE: Greenwood Pubic Library, "Clippings" & Branstiter Museum.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs