May 17, 2023, Page 9

 Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"


Extracted by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon. Index of "Oldies" Articles

Clark County News

May 19, 1938


Neillsville Days start


Neillsville Days, on which thousands of visitors will again be provided entertainment under the auspices of the Junior Chamber of Commerce, will start Wednesday, June 1. These days proved so popular last year that they are being repeated this year.


Mortenson genial host


R. Mortenson, the genial storekeeper at Shortville, was host to the officers of the conservation club last week, Tuesday, at which feeding pens and care of wild birds and other matters were discussed, following which the host served a lunch.


Poppy Day, May 28


Preparations for the observance of Poppy Day, Saturday, May 28, are being completed by the Otto A. Haugen unit of the American Legion Auxiliary, Mrs. F. H. Casler, president, announced today. Arrangements are being directed by Mrs. Maysel Swensen, chairman of the Poppy Day committee, assisted by a corps of workers. Plans are being developed to distribute memorial poppies in every part of the city.


Air mail week is observed locally


Plane will pick up mail at the Marshfield airport


Postmaster Louis Kurth announces that an air mail plane will pick up mail at the Marshfield airport Thursday, May 19, in the afternoon, and all patrons of the Neillsville area may send air mail letters or packages on this plane by mailing them at the Neillsville post office not later than 12 o’clock noon.


This is National Air Mail Week, and our citizens are being reminded that for three cents additional, one ounce letters may be sent by air mail to any post office in the United States.


Air mail has brought the Atlantic and Pacific seaboards so near us that mail is delivered in a few hours after mailing in Neillsville.


May 27, 1948


Former Army nurse to assume duties Monday


Mrs. Edward Kokaly of Willard will assume her new duties as county nurse Monday. She will succeed Miss Bernita Wasserburger, who has served as county nurse.


Mrs. Kokaly is the former Miss Francis Ruzic; is registered nurse and a graduates of St. Joseph’s School of Nursing. She served in the army nurses Corp during the war, seeing service in the southwest Pacific.


Things happen fast for traffic officers Sunday


Three violations descend in a hurry on single squad car; two arrested


 When things begin to happen for a traffic cop, there is no time to play “Eenie, Meenie, Minnie Moe.”


Take the case of early Sunday morning.


Traffic Officer Harry Frantz, accompanied by Sheriff Ray Kutsche, was driving westward on Highway 10 on a patrol of the highway just before the dances broke up. As they passed the Silver Dome a car approaching swerved and came close to colliding with the officer’s new car.


And, almost as that happened, two cars zoomed by, headed westward as though they were engaged in a trial heat for the great Indianapolis speedway classic.


There were three violations, all happening almost faster than one can blink. What to do?


The officers took out after the speeding cars, headed in the same direction in which they were traveling. As they did so they radioed headquarters in Neillsville with instructions for Undersheriff Frank Dobes to intercept the driver of the eastbound car.


Frantz and Kutsche went on a wild chase for several miles, topping 70 miles per hour most of the time. They stopped and arrested Clarence Boettcher of Fairchild, Rt. 1. The second speeding car got away. In the meantime, Undersheriff Dobes intercepted the eastbound car and arrested the driver, Alfred Garbusch, who works in Marshfield and works weekends on a small farm west of Neillsville.


Monday morning Garbusch pleaded guilty before Justice V. W. Nehs to a charge of driving while under the influence of liquor. He paid a fine of $10 and costs amounting to $7.95. His driver’s license was revoked, and he was issued an occupational permit.


Boettcher was arraigned in Humbird before Justice Sam Newton. The charge was racing, speeding and passing on a curve–with a couple other fancy curlicues thrown in for good measure. He pleaded guilty and paid a fine of $10 and costs.


The driver of the car Boettcher was racing had not been apprehended up to mid-week.


Advertisement in the Press, May 27, 1948 issue.


May 16, 1968


Withee girl gets new friend with the help of Lions Club


Miss Becky Markee has returned to Withee with “Duke” her 16-month-old Shepherd-Labrador cross, a graduate “leader dog.”


Arrangements for the enrollment of Becky Markee were made by the Withee Lions Club.


Becky was at the Leader Dog School for four weeks, during which time she learned to travel confidently with the assistance of “Duke.” Intensive training sessions were held daily. Practice was conducted both in Rochester, Mich., a small city, and in Royal Oak, Mich., a larger city.


The actual obtaining and taking command of “Duke” was an exciting experience for Becky. There were more than four hours of street training daily. The instructor accompanied the team on the first few walks, then left them to find their way on a memorized route through Rochester and Royal Oak. The instructor, of course, was available if the student became confused or lost. They took trips through various department stores and other places.


“Duke,” Becky’s new companion, was contributed to the school by a friend of the organization, and he spent 10 days in quarantine before going into actual training. After six weeks of obedience and basic training to recognize such hazardous conditions as moving traffic, pedestrians, curbs, low hanging branches, awnings, puddles and everything that may be dangerous to the student.


Becky discovered that using a “leader dog” requires only ordinary application of common sense. Becky must know where she is going and she directs “Duke to the destination with commands such as forward, right, left. It is “Duke’s” job to guide Becky safely over the terrain from starting point to destination.


It will take four to five months of “seasoning” before Becky can entirely eliminate minor problems and distractions that might occur in these new circumstances. This is a team requiring complete cooperation. The team will use the same safety precautions used by sighted people. They will cross crossings cautiously. (Note: A dog does not read traffic lights, but crosses the street upon command from his master, who has studied the pattern of traffic. Following this command the dog will proceed when safe.)


“Duke” is a friendly dog and safe among people; but the public is asked not to interfere while the dog is working, for it distracts him. If it is apparent that the student is having difficulty, it is suggested that a person nearby simply ask: “may I be of some assistance to you?”


While “Duke” has an important job when he is traveling, in the home a “leader dog” lives like any other pet, having time to romp and play. “Duke” eats once a day and is groomed once a day. The cost of enjoying this freedom to travel will be the same for “Duke” as that of keeping any family pet.


There is no charge for “leader dog” training, though the unit cost per student is approximately $2,500. It is possible to provide this important service because the Lions of the Midwest and other states, Michigan United Fund and other charitable-minded service clubs, sororities, and individuals make voluntary contributions to support the program.


Anyone wishing information concerning the “leader dog” program is invited to see a member of the local Lions Club or write to: Leader Dogs for the Blind, Rochester, Mich.


Area woman gets her first muskie


A 16 1/2 pound muskie– the first Mrs. Douglas Larsen of Neillsville has caught-and 10 northern pike were the catch of six area fishermen who spent the opening weekend of fishing in northern Wisconsin.


In addition to Mrs. Larsen, whose muskie measured 38 1/2 inches, the party was made up of: Douglas Larsen, Mr. and Mrs. Den Urlaub and Mr. and Mrs. Dale Opelt.


Becky Markee with her new “leader dog,” Duke, a present of the Withee Lions Club.

(Press photo May  27, 1968 issue)



May 15, 1975


Colby bank “holdup” is just a mock exercise


An alert motorist driving in Colby about 10 a.m. Monday saw two thugs brandishing hand guns in the Security State bank.


He raced to the nearest telephone, called Abbotsford-Colby Police Chief John Nelson and reported a bank robbery in progress.


That report, followed by quick communications, had law enforcement cars for miles around moving in on the scene at breakneck speed. Nelson was joined by County Officer Albert Podevels Jr., of Colby; Sheriff David R. Bertz and Officer Louie Albrecht mover out quickly from the sheriff’s office in Neillsville; Marathon county deputies and state police moved in, ready to apprehend the robbers.


County Investigator Dan Patey alerted Glenn Short, who had his airplane warming up and poised for the takeoff to join in the chase.


But, before anything else happened, it was learned that the “holdup” was a hoax. It was a mock exercise being staged by a group from Colby High School. School officials and bank officials were reported to have known all about it and were going along with the simulated holdup.


They had just forgotten to let anybody else know about it, more particularly law enforcement officers who might be concerned.


The nature of the event was learned by Nelson and Podevels, the first to arrive on the scene, and a “hold” action was quickly distributed by air, but not before a dozen or more units had nearly succeeded in sealing off all escape corridors from Colby.


“It wasn’t until everything had cooled down that we could laugh about it,” commented Investigator Patey. “Actually, it could have been serious. I just hate to think about what could have happened.”



4,000 bales of hay lost as lightning hits barn


Four thousand bales of hay, a tractor and other machinery were lost late Sunday afternoon when a barn on the George Church farm, five miles southwest of Neillsville, burned.


The fire was started by lightning and quickly engulfed the building, situated west of the house during a driving rainfall and electrical storm.


August Klann, a neighbor and owner of the hay stored in the barn, said he was walking from his own house to his barn when the lightning struck nearly a half mile away.


“It almost drove me to my knees,” he told The Clark County Press.


Mrs. Klann saw the lightning as it struck the barn and called to her husband. They had some trouble getting through to the fire department in Neillsville by telephone. Apparently, the storm had temporarily jammed the wires.


Klann said on reaching the barn before the fire department he was able to pull a boat from inside; but by that time the fire had spread throughout the barn, and he was unable to save anything more.


The Church’s had left home just shortly before the storm. Klann said the loss of the hay was partially covered by insurance. Hay has been selling for about $2.00 per bale, making his loss approximately $8,000.


There was little or no wind at the time, so other buildings were not threatened.





© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel