April 29, 2020,  Page 10 

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Extracted by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 



Clark County News


April 1910


C.H. Shaw of Christie has 160 acres of wild land, lying between Loyal and Greenwood, on a main traveled road. Good spring creek through pastureland. About 100 acres of it is on a fine hardwood ridge. Price is reasonable.


Neillsville Bock Beer, brewed from the fi nest hops and malt money can buy and stored six months in ice-cold cellars, now ready in bottles, 24 bottles for $1.25 delivered, phone No. 42.


Kurt Listeman has overlaid the soft wood floor of his residence, with 3/8” selected all white maple flooring. Connor Retail Lumber Company furnished the maple flooring.


Frank Lynch has now an auto in service in his livery barn and rents it out with a careful driver to parties who prefer it to a horse and carriage. Mr. Lynch makes a specialty of furnishing an automobile for parties, balls, country trips etc., and has a reasonable charge for the services by the hour.


Sereno Wren has moved his household goods from the Youman’s house on Pleasant Ridge, where they lived for the winter, to Dells Dam area where he will do his spring seeding.         


Louis Moh, proprietor of the Idelwild farm near Granton, was in town Tuesday, having delivered a purebred Holstein calf to M. Palmer and the animal brought a price that would stagger the man who is in the habit of selling his stock at a cent and a half a pound.          


Even the oldest inhabitant stands aghast at the ideal summer weather we are being blessed with now early in April, and freely admits that Clark County has never experienced a spring such as this one.     


Anyone wanting fence posts cut from live oak timber last winter, can get them at my farm located 1-1/2 miles north of the county farm, $5 per 100 when buying from 100 to 500. Charles Osgood.      


Sunday, at the home of the bride, Rev. Brandt united in marriage Mr. Bruno Halle and Miss Ella Quast, of Globe. Misses Lena Halle and Ida Dux were bridesmaids and Wm. Scheel, and Richard Hagedorn attended the groom. The young couple will make their home on a farm near Greenwood.        


H.A. Bright’s Clark County farms have become extensively known as among the best and largest in Western Wisconsin and in the past few years he has been developing them and going extensively into dairying. Now comes the new Soo Line Railroad, which will put his farms more in the center of things than ever. The new line, which will form part of the most direct route between Chicago and Duluth, crosses one of his farms and directly opposite his Popple River South Fork farm of 480 acres, the railroad has purchased 150 acres, which will be platted into a town site and a new town will be built there. No county in Wisconsin has gone ahead more rapidly than Clark County. The new town will have a rich country on either side and can build itself without detriment to the other good towns already prospering in that portion of the county. It will bring into still greater prominence Mr. Bright’s extensive land interests in that vicinity and enhance their value accordingly.         


 The Levis cemetery of the Dells Dam area has been moved onto O. Johnson’s land and a new fence built around it. The Water Power Company paid the expenses of it.            


Two corn planters with drilling and check-rowing attachments, brand new, at Luethe’s for a bargain price of $22, each.   


 Cluett dress shirts, for men, absolutely reliable in style, fit and color, prices $1.00 and $1.50. Paramount dress shirts, best to be had at this price, in large variety at 50c each at B. Danger’s & Co. store.


April 1950


Twenty-nine transfers of property in Clark County were recorded in the office of Register of Deeds in the last 11 days of March.


This considerable transfer of property reflects the readjustment, which is incident to the season. In spite of the extension of wintry cold, these transfers made it evident that many in Clark County were confident of the ultimate arrival of spring and of the need to plan for it.


Eleven of these transfers were of urban property, located in the cities and villages. These transfers represented aggregate values of about $22,700. Eighteen of them were transfers of farm property, to the aggregate value of about $68,000. One of them spoke for the sale of resort property at Rock Dam in North Foster.


The resort property at Rock Dam was that hitherto owned by Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Ruzic. They have sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Keiner. The tract contains upward of 120 acres, and the deal includes the various buildings on the land and the equipment used in the conduct of the resort. The Ruzic’s also transferred their good will, agreeing not to engage resort business in that vicinity for a period of five years. The consideration was $5,000. While the transfer is of recent record, the Keiner’s were running the resort during the latter part of the 1949 season.


Eleven pieces of urban property in Clark County are of fresh record in the office of the Register of Deeds. Including the transfer of some unimproved property, the total value represented is about $22,700. Some are as follows:


Mr. and Mrs. Ferdinand L. Schilling have bought a residential property on the edge of Granton from Peter A. Wenner and Catherine E., his wife. The property lays north of the Trimberger corner, beyond the Lutheran Church, the plot being originally part of the Winn farm. The consideration, as indicated by the revenue stamps, was $3,000 to $3,500.


Irma Pepper has sold to Andrew and Irene Kapusta the former Pepper home on Court Street, in what is familiarly known as the Dutch Hollow section of Neillsville. The consideration was $1,500. In the record of the transaction the present address of Mrs. Pepper is given as Custer, Custer County, South Dakota.


Elsie L. Drescher of Milwaukee has sold to Luther T. and Helen Lindow as joint attendants with rights of survivorship Lots 1 and 10 of Block A in Chili.


Francis J. Conway has sold to Lloyd E. Grassman a forty in section 31, Town of Fremont, except one acre upon which a school- house stands.


The Silver Dome Ballroom will be re-opening with an Easter Sunday Dance, April 9th. That will also be the Wedding Dance of Jerry Cernik and Velva Fitzmaurice with Music by the Elmo Johnson Orchestra. It will be Free Admission to the Silver Dome Bar. Dancing Admission, 50’ per person.


Dancing Every Saturday Night, starting Saturday, April 15th.


Book your Wedding Dance at the Silver Dome, No charge, 300 Free Tickets to the Wedding Party.


Upon the expiration of his three-year lease on the West Side Food Market, John Swenson is giving up that business. The stock and fixtures are being bought by Leo Korth, of the Spencer community, who owns the building. Mr. Swenson’s lease was from John Pietenpol, who later sold subject to the lease. Mr. Korth intends to proceed with the business and occupy the residence in the rear.


The John Swensons will return to their former home on Fifth Street. The Kenneth Olsons, who have been living in the Swenson house, are moving to the Charles Seif place on Grand Avenue and the Seifs are moving to the Landgraf house, which they recently purchased.


Twenty-five forest fires burned over 64.9 acres in the Fairchild sub-district during 1949, according to Arthur M. Papke, forest ranger. This sub-district consists of parts of Eau Claire and Clark counties.


Mr. Papke asks general cooperation in an effort to make a better record in 1950. Practically all of the 1949 fires were due to human carelessness. One of the measures to stop the fire menace is that there shall be complete compliance with the law, which requires written permission before any outdoor fires are started.


Miss Sally Parker, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Nelson of Withee, became the bride of Kenneth Speich, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Speich of Greenwood, on Wednesday, April 12, in a ceremony, which took place at Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Owen. The Rev. Raymond Bornbach officiated.


The bride is a graduate of the Withee High School in 1949. The groom is a graduate of the Greenwood High School with the class of 1945 and is now employed at the Speich Auto Sales in Greenwood.


Following a honeymoon to Southern Illinois, the young couple will reside in Greenwood.


The repair of the Greenwood dam has cost the county about $9,000. The final bill for the work was approved by the county board last week, which was for $6,442.50, the balance remaining on the bill of Plautz Bros. Payment of this bill had been recommended by the park commission.


The park commission consists of Lowell Schultz, Joe Plautz, Otto Hiller, Elroy Broeske, H.R. Baird, Otto Lewerenz and Paul Stasek.


By action of the county board at its concluding session last week, the county will continue to pay mileage to traffic officers and the traffic officers will own the cars they use.


In Clark County the officers own the cars and are paid six cents per mile, together with allowance for batteries and some collateral equipment. The operating expense for three officers was $7,140. The total cost of the three officers was $16,841.58.


Foley “babies” will be the most important feature of the celebration of Foley Day at Dorchester May 27. The Foley “babies” are the babies delivered by Dr. E.P. Foley in his 40 years of service in the Dorchester community.


The event is a celebration of that service with honor to Dr. Foley. The “babies” will notify the committee in advance and will register at the clubhouse in Dorchester at 10 a.m. May 27. They will then form a unit in the parade.


Chairman for Foley Day is D.A. Kobs. The plans include a speaker, bands from the Abbotsford, Colby and Medford high schools and floats.


Spring is moving time; and this year it brings about a change in the business physiognomy of Neillsville with the purchase of Potter’s North Side Grocery by Ray Strebing of Neillsville and Fred Reynolds of Chicago. Mr. Strebing has operated Ray’s Southside Food Market for several years.


The new store will be operated in conjunction with the south side store and will be under Mr. Reynolds’ management. The transfer is set to take place May 1st.


Mr. Reynolds has been connected with the meat business for many years. During the last 12 years he has been a foreman in the Brennan Packing company plant in Chicago. Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds have a married son, living in Ohio.


Wayne Potter, who has operated his north side store for many years, says that his plans for the future are not formed; but for the immediate future he is going to get in plenty of fishing.


A Real Hen’s Party comes when you sell your eggs to the Quality Egg Company at West 7th Street in Neillsville, where you will be paid Top Prices year around.


News from Owen:


John Kaminski has taken over the operation of the hotel in Owen. Edward Thorson is the proprietor. Mr. Kaminski has a 60-day option to buy.


Neale Laine has been appointed president of the new Owen city council. Adolph Haavisto has been re-appointed chief of police. Lawrence Clark has been retained as street, water and weed commissioner; Harry Dempsey has been retained as fi re chief and R.F. Gaffney is again the city attorney.


Edward W. Pape, son of Mrs. Mary E. Pape of Owen, is scheduled to arrive soon in Naples, Italy, aboard the destroyer USS Sierra, Nev.


Marriage Licenses:

Irene Langjahr, 18, Unity and Alvin Edblom, 24, Unity.

Jane Dolan, 19, Abbotsford, William Steffen, 19, Abbotsford.

Patricia Dux, 18, Neillsville, Duane Anding, 21, Granton.

Peggy Murphy, 20, Neillsville, Emil Aberle, 30, Neillsville.

Charlene Lapp, 18, Dorchester, Clarence Stoeber, 29, Dorchester.

Ilene Rowley, 18, Loyal, Clarence Schlinsog, 22, Willard.



Shown is the interior of Neillsville’s First National Bank in 1950. Charles Cornelius started the First National Bank of Neillsville in 1910. Cornelius was a wealthy businessman and stayed active in growing Neillsville’s business and industry until his death in 1918.





© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel