Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

August 17, 2016, Page 13

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

August 1931


Frank Kopp who recently returned from Nebraska is doing some detective work for himself to find what became of a large quantity of personal property, which was stolen last October from his farm home southwest of the city.


“The robbers must have spent considerable time at the house,” said Mr. Kopp.  “They cooked a meal and upset the place from one end to the other.  They stole about 100 bottles of beer, 45 chickens, an ax, wire stretcher, three bits, post maul, shotgun shells, about 50 handerkerchiefs, one dozen canvas mittens, 30-30 shells for a USA rifle, two deer head, set of new hay slings, double bit ax, gasoline can with 4 gallons of gas and an Agricultural Bureau Service sign taken from a plum tree.”                                                                                                               


The city of Neillsville has bought the old Carlson house on the North Side and it is now being repaired and fitted up to house poor families needing city aid.  It will accommodate about three families.


Two weeks ago, Mrs. A. Lundberg of Wisconsin Rapids placed an advertisement in the Press announcing she had lost a bulldog puppy while the family was touring through Neillsville.  This week Mrs. Lundberg wrote the Press the following letter:


“My husband has disappeared just as mysteriously as the puppy.  They have broadcast his description over Stevens Point radio station, and it is too bad for the children.  Now if you or the police have heard anything about the little puppy kindly let me know.


(Who did the radio station broadcast was missing, the husband or the puppy? DZ)


Last week Kip Schultz, who lives in Hatfield, picked up what looks like a heart-shaped bronze watch charm, on which was stamped “R.B. French, Sr.” His son, R. B. French, Jr., states that he does not remember that Hatfield was ever called Black River Station, although it may have been known by that name but not on the railroad map.  The first post office was on Arnold Creek, half a mile away and was called Franksville.  This was discontinued when the Green Bay Road was built and Hatfield was established.  In the early river days Mrs. French states, the locality was called Mormon Riffles.


Last week, the deal was closed by which the county acquired title to a large gravel pit just west of Greenwood, a property owned by the old Fairchild and Northeastern Railroad.  The tract has an area of nearly 21 acres, all of which is covered with a deep deposit of the best kind of gravel.  This will furnish a supply for many years and will be available for highways 73 and 98.                                                                                                                   


Ernest Herman, who operates the Pleasant Ridge cheese factory, shipped a Swiss Cheese weighing 258 pound to Milwaukee, Monday, to enter it at the State Fair.  Mr. Herman is an expert cheesemaker and has had excellent success with all makes of cheese.  He is a specialist on Swiss Cheese.                    


George Johnson, proprietor of the pool hall, found a 14-pound carp hanging on the door knob of the pool hall one morning this week when he went to open.  Mr. Johnson estimated the fish had been dead at least 10 days and perhaps longer.  He states that he would prefer fish of that nature delivered at the rear door in the future.


Gail and Carl, who are putting the new roof on the schoolhouse, also have the job of removing the old dome.  They received an offer for this dome if it could be lowered in good condition, so secured Pete Warlum’s gin-pole to use in the operation.  The engineering feat would have been a success if it had not been for the pole breaking when the heavy strain was put on it, letting the dome fall.  It was not badly crushed, however and may be repaired.


Thousands of fish were removed from O’Neil Creek Saturday and Sunday and planted in Wedges Creek to save them from dying in the stagnant pools left since the water has almost ceased flowing in O’Neill Creek.


For several days’ dozens of young boys have been having a royal time gathering fish from the landlocked puddles, picking them up with their hands or stunning them.  It required only a few minutes to gather a string of 25 or 30 fish, including suckers, black bass, rock bass, crappies and perch and bullheads.  Some of the bass weighed four pounds. 


Saturday Wm. Farning, Everett Kleckner, John Mattson and C. E. Elliott seined out a large number, placed them in stock tanks and took them to Wedges Creek.  Sunday, the same crew with the additional help of Ernest Snyder, Claude Ayers, Louis Kurth, Leo Miller and Archie Stockwell seined out more than 100,000 fish, it was estimated, and planted them in Wedges Creek. 


Permission for the transfer was obtained from the State Conservation Commission at Madison.


No one in Neillsville and vicinity remembers O’Neill Creek as low as it is now.  In its upper waters, it is still flowing, but before it reaches Neillsville so much of the water has evaporated that it is mostly a dry bed.


Several destructive forest fires have broken out south and west of the city.  The drought has made the danger from fires extremely great this year.                                                                            


A home run cracked out by George Scherer of the Eaton Center baseball team with two men on base turned a 1 to 1 airtight ball game into a frenzied finale and Neillsville found itself at the small end of a 4 to 1 score when the game ended.  Until the eighth, neither team had an advantage and the prospects looked good for several innings.


A victory over Eaton Center would have tied Neillsville with Eaton Center for first place in the league race.  Scherer’s home run, however, blighted that possibility and the season closed with Neillsville in second place.  Neillsville won 9 and lost 6 games this season.


(In the local city baseball teams 1930s thru 1950s eras, there were three men who could each have worn the hats of “Mr. Baseball,” George Scherer of Greenwood, George Schmitz of Lynn, and Gene Cristie of Neillsville.  These three men lived and breathed baseball, and were very dedicated with organizing and promoting baseball as a local sport.  Each town had at least one or two faithful supporters, helping to keep their team on the fields.  Loyal’s dedicated supporter was Frank Degenhardt. DZ)                                                                                              


Mrs. Wallace Sisson of Christie was the victim of a peculiar incident Monday when a large insect flew into her ear and became wedged against the ear drum.  She was rushed to Neillsville, suffering considerable annoyance as the bug struggled to release itself.  After several futile efforts to remove the insect Dr. Sarah Rosekrans administered an anesthetic to Mrs. Sisson and the bug was finally forced out by liquid pressure.


August 1951


A ride on a manure spreader, rubber golf clubs, and eight-inch-high tees, were among the features of the Neillsville ladies golf jamboree held on Thursday, July 26, at the country club.


Seventy-two women from six area country clubs participated in the fun day.  In the morning, regular golf was played and the Neillsville team placed first in the low score.  Members of the team were Jean Chesemore, Alta Allen, Sadie Haight, and Mary Lee.  Lottie Anderson of Neillsville won for high puts in the afternoon.  A Neillsville team, composed of Jean Rosenquist, Janet Hauge, Lenice Schiesel, and Lovetta Anderson registered high score for the day’s events.


The men of the country club served lunch at one o’clock for the women.


In the afternoon “goofy golf” was played.  High-jinx were carried on at each green.  Finally, on the eighth green, a vehicle was sent out to haul the women back to the clubhouse.  It was a manure spreader, complete with levers, but it was a new manure spreader.                                                                                                


Plans for the junior camp, to be held during the Clark County Fair, are nearing completion. 


Entry blanks are pouring in at the county agent’s office.  Between 5 and 6 hundred exhibitors are expected.  It is expected that three hundred boys and girls will be fed and houses at the fairgrounds.  Mrs. Frank Kuhl will be the cook and the boys and girls will be served cafeteria style.  The boys and girls will sleep on cots in the two dormitories.


Those planning to stay at the fairgrounds are to bring their own dishes, that is, a plate, cup, knife, fork, spoon, and cereal bowl; and their own bedding, consisting of soap, wash cloth, towel, tooth brush, and powder.  A fee of $5 for the four-day camp period will be levied.  This includes meals, starting with Thursday night supper, and ending with Sunday supper and insurance.


The program for the camp will start on Thursday, August 16.  Entries open at 9 a.m. and close at six o’clock that evening.  Supper will be served in two shifts, at 5:30 and 6:15.  The flag will be lowered at seven p.m. and a meeting of all campers will be held in the dining hall at eight p.m.


The day for the campers will start at 6:45 a.m. with the flag raising.  Breakfast will be served at seven o’clock.


On Friday, the judging of exhibits will get underway at 9 a.m.


The flag will be lowered after supper at 7 p.m.  Supper will be served in two shifts again.


On Saturday, the softball championship will be held at 2 p.m.  The style revue will be held in the dining hall at 3 p.m.


On Sunday, the members of the junior camp will leave for church services in Neillsville at 9 a.m.  The float parade will take place before the grandstand at 1:45 and the camp will close after supper.  Exhibits will be released at eight p.m.


The 1938 Clark County 4-H Calf Club members and leaders gathered in front of the 4-H building at the Fairgrounds during that year’s fair.  As the photo shows, there were several members in the organization at that time.



A group of people returned to Chicago Sunday after spending two weeks’ vacation in the Greenwood area, their annual visit here.  More families will join them next year and plan for a three-week outing at Rock Dam.


While here a fish fry was held at Memorial Park, Rock Dam by the group on July 27.  One hundred thirty-seven pan fish, 10 bass, and some bullheads were prepared for the feast.  On July 28, the held a sweet corn roast at Keiner’s resort at Rock Dam.  They also had a turtle dinner prepared by Evie Walter, as she only can cook turtle, which she does every year.


Goldie will be the last horse on the Walter Pollnow farm.


That farm was put underway in 1880.  Oxen were first used on the farm.  Now Mr. Pollnow is using his seventh team of horses and he calls them good.  The first horse was bought from Charles Wasserburger.


Goldie came without calling.  Her mother came to the Pollnow farm on a trade with James Redmond.  Goldie was not included in the inventory but a few months after the mother arrived on the farm, Goldie appeared.  She has made a spot for herself in the affections of the family, and she will stay right there.


But she is the last one.  The next will be a tractor.  Even a confirmed horseman, like mr. Pollnow, finds the modern trend quite irresistible.                                                                                                                        


Men’s Golf Jamboree at the Neillsville Country Club, Sunday, Aug. 19.  Tee-Off starts 9 a.m.  Golf All Day, Prizes & Fun!  Lunch – Dinner, $3 pays for Everything!                                                      


Stop for a Delicious – Ice Cream Sandwich at Quicker’s Midway Stand at the Clark County Fair!


Notice: Quicker’s Dairy Bar will close at 6 p.m. Saturday to Permit Our Employees & Their Families to Attend the Fair!


A marked feature of the fair this year was the work of the Service Company of the National Guard, the members of the guard took over nearly all the personnel work, except that done by the officers, and that connected with exhibits and judging.  They guarded the fences and steered non-paying visitors to the ticket office, they sold the tickets, both at the gate and grandstand; they directed traffic and parking; they kept order on the grounds; they swept out the grandstand; they even pulled out cars, which were stuck in the mud.


With guards on the job, rowdyism, was out.  Testimony to this effect might be given by one man who had started his celebration before he arrived at the fair.  Upon his arrival, he made his way to the milder form of celebration available under the grandstand, but soon was making more than his share of noise.  He was then, surrounded by soldiers in short order, and soon found himself on the outside of the grounds, looking in.


The towing service of the guards was not on the program.  However, they had with them a jeep and a truck.  When a lot of cars were unable to get traction Friday night, they pulled them out and put them on their way.


“The soldiers have made a wonderful contribution to the fair,” said Harold Huckstead, the secretary.  “They have taken off the shoulders of the fair management a heavy burden.  Their help is deeply appreciated.”


Members of the guard performed a public service and built up their mess fund.  The fair board will make payment, on the same basis as payments are usually made to personnel, but the money goes to the guard’s mess fund, not to individuals.





© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel