Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

June 15, 2016, Page 11

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

June 1936


There are several thousand small pine trees heeled-in and ready to be planted along Highway 10 in the Town of Hewett, and the Reforestation committee appointed by the Kiwanis Club would like to have united action next Sunday, June 7, to get these little trees planted.


All who have cars in which they can transport Boy Scouts or older persons, who have no means of transportation, are asked to meet in front of the Kearns Drug Store at about 8 o’clock Sunday morning.  Others who have their own conveyance can meet the group where the trees are heeled-in about 1Ό miles west of Wedges Creek on Highway 10.


No tools are needed except a small two-quart or four-quart pail in which to carry the little seedling trees.  They are planted with a wooden spud, a supply of which will be found at the meeting place on Highway 10.  The trees are here, ready to plant and should be taken care of now.  Come out and help.                           


The appointment of Kurth Oil Company, as dealer for Nash and LaFayette automobiles in this territory was announced today by the Nash-LaFayette distributor at Milwaukee.  The new company will start operation under the Nash franchise at once and expect to receive first shipment of cars within a few days.


This will include models in the Nash Ambassador and “400” series as well as the LaFayette, Nash’s “big car” in a base price range from $595 to $995 f.o.b., offering many unique advantages in the four price classes.


Max Opelt was born in Germany May 4, 1868, and died at Sacred Heart Hospital in Eau Claire May 24, aged 68 years.


At the age of 14, he came to America with his parents, who settled in the Town of Lynn.  There he grew to manhood and Nov. 18, 1891, he was married to Miss Phoebe Sternitzky.  For a number of years, they carried on farming and then Mr. Opelt went into the mercantile business in Lynn Village, which he operated until 1917, when he traded the store for a farm in Levis, and was a resident of that town until his death.  He was well liked as a businessman and as a friend and neighbor.  He was honest and upright in all his dealings and a fine citizen in every way.  He is survived by his wife and five children: Arthur and Carl of Levis, Max Jr. of Shortville, Lillian, Mrs. Paul Martin of Lindsey, and Martha, Mrs. Louis Lautenbach of Levis; also 20 grandchildren. Three children died in infancy.


Funeral services were held at Schiller’s Funeral Home May 27.            


The grand Opening of Hawthorne Hills Country Club golf course has been set for 1:30 p.m. Sunday.  Prizes for men and women with dubs and sharpshooters that are being offered to tempt the golf minded of the community.  Those in charge of arrangements promise a fine afternoon’s entertainment.


(The Hawthorne Hills course, named because of the Hawthorne trees on it, had been developed by owner Fred Baer.  After his death, the course was incorporated with the name changing to Neillsville Country Club. DZ)


An early 1900s view of Schuster Park’s main entrance off Division Street/U.S. Hwy 10.  Jeff Schuster donated that property to the city of Neillsville to be developed into a public park.  Nearing the century mark of being in existence, the park continues to provide a pleasant setting with facilities for picnics and family gatherings throughout the summer seasons.


Plans are made to dedicate the Sherwood Community Church in the Town of Sherwood, Sunday afternoon, June 7.  The program will begin at 2:30 o’clock, Rev. G. W. Longenecker of Neillsville, will give the dedicatory address.


The organization that will carry on the work of the church has been incorporated as the Sherwood Community Chapel.  It will be non-sectarian and the building will be open for the use of services of all denominations under reasonable conditions.


The building is an attractive and convenient edifice, and has been built by funds raised by the Sherwood Community Club, largely by suppers, which have become so noted as to attract people from many miles in all directions.  Besides the dedicatory sermon by Rev. Longenecker, there will be other features on the program.  The public is cordially invited to attend.                                                                                                            


The Rowlands Canning Co. has been granted permission to install gasoline pumps and tanks at the factory on East Sixth Street.


The cannery will try canning lima beans this season, and have about 75 acres planted.  This is something of an experiment in this locality but has been very successful at Green Bay and other places in Wisconsin.


A Town of York resident was arrested by state treasury agent Ben Wolf, last week on a charge of operating a still.  He appeared before A. E. Dudley, court commissioner, Monday, and will be heard by Judge E. W. Crosby in circuit court Saturday.                                                                                                     


United States Army regulations on how a soldier should build a fire for cooking his own meal in the field may be the tops if you don’t know any better way, but for five young Winnebago Indian members of the Neillsville Service Company the army cooking methods are the bunk.  And it didn’t take these sons of the outdoors long to prove that their fire building methods had it all over the army system like an O.D. blanket.


The Service Company bivouacked at the mouth of Scott Creek in the Town of Foster Saturday night where the men were to be instructed in building fires for individual cookery, pitching tents and life in the open.  Following the army plan the men dug trenches a few inches wide and about two feet long in which to build their fires, using hardwood for fuel.  The Indian boys, who are Jesse Mike, John Winneshiek, Murray and Mitchell Whiterabbit and Young Green, tried to build a fire white man’s way, but after a few minutes gave it up as a bad job and went off by themselves to build a fire in their own way.  They used a small heap of brush, which caught fire rapidly and soon burned to a bed of coals upon which they placed their mess kits filled with bacon and eggs.  Before their buddies had got their fire under way the Indian boys had their meal ready to eat.  And by using the coals the Indian boys did not smoke up their mess kits as the other members did.


The cannon, which the Otto A. Haugen Post of the American Legion obtained from the government and placed on the lawn of the courthouse last year, is being painted and camouflaged by Oluf Olson Jr., and he is doing a fine piece of work.  The design was drawn on the cannon by Dr. M. C. Rosekrans.  The only complaint to make bout the doctor’s work is when the job is done nobody will know there is a cannon on the lawn unless they happen to bump into it while taking a short cut across the grass.                                                                                                


Carl Roder and Miss Gertrude Hauser were united in marriage at 8 o’clock Tuesday morning, June 16, in St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Rev. Fr. Peter Weber officiating.


(Living in the Granton-Neillsville area in his younger years, Carl Roder later owned and operated a blacksmith shop along Main Street, Loyal.


In the early 1960s while we lived in Loyal, I remember a little neighbor boy, Dennis, who decided to crawl through an old culvert that was being kept in the yard behind Roder’s shop.  About half way through the culvert, Dennis became stuck and was crying for help.  That incident created quite a stir in the community, with a gathering of several people, some of whom were trying to calm the boy down, along with instructions of what to do in getting himself out of the predicament.  During that excitement, I think Carl appeared the most shook up of all. DZ)              


A large sign with the word “Neillsville” in six-foot silver letters and an arrow pointing north were painted on the roof of the American Stores Condensery last week by a PWA worker for the benefit of aviators.


June 1956


Officers of the Women’s Bowling Association elected at the organization’s recent annual banquet and meeting are:  Mrs. Janet Hauge, president, succeeding Mrs. Grace Suckow; Mrs. Fay Opelt, treasurer, succeeding Mrs. Grace Metcalf; Mrs. Grace Malfa sergeant-at-arms, succeeding Mrs. Jean Laatsch; and Mrs. Buddy Langreck, vice president, and Mrs. Adeline Schoenherr, secretary, both re-elected.                                                   


Tuesday, June 5, marked the Golden Wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. John Goetz.  They were married in Tony, Wis. June 5, 1906.  They lived at Tony, for one and one-half years and then came to Clark County and have since lived in this area.


A Golden Wedding celebration was held Sunday at the home of their son, Ronnie Goetz and family, on the home farm in Heintown.  Dinner and supper were served, and the honored guests received a substantial money gift.


Miss Clara Hein, 75, last member of the John Hein family, died Friday in a hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla.  The body was brought to Neillsville for burial.  Funeral services were held Wednesday from St. Mary’s Catholic Church.  Burial was made in St. Mary’s Cemetery.


The John Hein family were early residents of Neillsville.  Mr. Hein and his sons were engaged in lumbering and some manufacturing of wood products.  Heintown is named for the family which, at one time, operated a sawmill there.


In Neillsville, Mr. Hein had a general store in a building located on the lot where the Northern States transformer now stands, just north of O’Neill creek on Hewett Street.  Mr. Hein built the house, now the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Prochazka and his family, and lived there until they moved to Tony, where there were more timber for their sawmill.  The house, was built according to plans made by Mrs. Hein.


About 25 years ago, Mr. Hein and his daughters, Clara and Frances, moved to St. Petersburg.  Clara had been in poor health for several years suffering from a heart ailment.  Recently she had been cared for in a hospital.  She is survived by several nieces and nephews.


(The Hein house, now “O’Neill Manor,” is located at 824 Hewett Street.)


A six-thirty potluck dinner was held Monday evening at Schuster Park for B.P.W. members, husbands and boyfriends and the Rotary and Kiwanis members and their wives.  A silent auction was held during the evening and the proceeds from the evening will be used to send a handicapped boy to Camp Wabeck at the Dells.


Thomas Pozega Jr., 37, who was injured in a fall from the Herman Hemp barn, near Globe about 10 days ago, is expected to be released from Memorial Hospital this week.


He suffered the sprain of both ankles and torn ligaments in the left knee; but no bones were broken in the fall of from 16 to 18 feet.


Mr. Pozega was shingling the barn roof when the scaffolding at one hip gave away.  His father-in-law, Carl Eslinger, who was working on the scaffolding with Mr. Pozega, was able to grab a ladder and prevented himself from falling to the ground.  Also working on the roof were George Mashin and Pete Strangfeld.


Three hoboes got the “bum’s” rush out of Clark County last Wednesday after one of them had caused concern among Sherwood people still jittery after a recent experience with gypsies.  The three were picked up by local authorities, two in Neillsville and one in Humbird, after Sherwood residents notified them that one had appeared at the home of Mrs. Anna Boyko, who was kicked by one of the gypsies who had recently “worked” that area.


The Neillsville Country Club is taking a jump ahead in the golf season of 1956.  The membership, approximately a total of 111, last year, is now approaching the 200 mark.  The present total is above 180, with sufficient promises and good prospects eventually to bring the number up to and perhaps above 200.


The increase in interest is primarily due to a change in the charge for membership.  The rate is now straight $10 for each individual member.  This fee is not subject to federal tax.  Hence the club realizes all of the money collected.


For Good Food try Susie’s Cafι at 135 West Fifth Street, formerly Walker’s Cafι.  Now open for business by Susie Schultz                                                                                                          


June is the month that marks the one-hundredth anniversary of the arrival of the first settlers on the Town of Grant.  Out of the four families coming here at that time and settling on tracts of land, in the northeastern part of the town, only one farm has remained in the same family all of these 100 years.


Eli Williams, brother of George Williams, was 15 years old when he came here and helped his brother develop farms out of the dense stand of pine.  After serving in the Civil War, he returned home and was married to Anna Crevec Cure, a local girl, on January 3, 1883, and engaged in farming.  He served as a member of the district school board and was village postmaster at the time of his death.


The farm is occupied and managed by his three daughters, Misses Eleanor and Alfrieda Williams and Mrs. Norma Williams VandeBerg.  With the help of day laborers during haying and harvest the ladies care for their herd of milking cows, keep a large garden, have chickens and a flower garden.


The others who came her at the same time were John D. Wage and family and Levi Marsh from Pennsylvania.


July 4, 8 p.m. Baseball; Christie vs. Neillsville. Adm will be $1.00 per car.  Fireworks 9:30 p.m.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel