Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

June 1, 2016, Page 9

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

June 1906


Several Merrillan men are bewailing the loss of $50 each, which it is said a loan shark victimized them out of, by a new scheme.


The sharper put in his appearance about a month ago, then proceeded to “work up” an excursion to be run to Canada.  He represented there would be a special train and that he could only sell 36 tickets from Merrillan, at $50 for round trip, board and sleeper birth to be $1.25 per day.  The train was “scheduled” to leave Merrillan Tuesday, June 5.


Well, the “land man” sold out his 36 “tickets” at the half hundred each, but so far there has been no “special train,” nor can the “land man” now be located.


The sharper only had one ticket, as a “sample” and the tickets were to be delivered “by the company” on day of starting “excursion.”  He took the cash in advance, however, and now our junction-city land hungry people are altogether out $1,800.                                                                                                             


H. A. Bright’s creamery at his Clark County farm will be in charge of Henry Randle, a former resident of North Bend and later of Sechlerville.  Mr. Randle taught school in that area for a number of years, operating the first creamery built in Jackson County, that of Sechler and Van Gorden, at Sechlerville.  He went from there to a large creamery at Minneapolis and for more than twenty years has resided in Minnesota.  His numerous friends will be glad to know that he is again located within hailing distance of Jackson County.                                  


A schoolboy was assigned to prepare an essay on the subject of “Duck,” and this is what he wrote: “The duck is a low heavy-set bird, composed of mostly meat and feathers.  He is a mighty poor singer having a hoarse voice, caused by getting so many frogs in his neck.  He likes the water and carries a toy balloon in his stomach to keep from sinking.  The duck has only two legs and they are set so far back on his running gears by nature that she came pretty near losing her body.  Some ducks when they get big have curls on their tails and are called drakes.  Drakes don’t have to set or hatch, but just loaf, go swimming and eat.  If I was to be a duck, I rather be a drake every time.”


There has been quite a number of deaths among the old Winnebagos around Black River Falls recently, including Four Eyes, aged 86, and his wife of 80; Looking Glass, aged 85; Mrs. We Hunkah, aged 87; and Hester Two Crow, aged 96.


The Gale Pivot Axle Cultivator is the only cultivator that will take the place of the man with a hoe. See Guy Youmans


Let everyone keep hustling to improve the appearance of our streets and lots.  Keep all kinds of rubbish off the streets and sidewalks, and see that your houses, fences are neatly painted.  There is nothing that helps the looks of a town and invites newcomers to settle in it more than newly painted houses and fences, neat and tidy streets and sidewalks, fruit and shade trees on your lots.  Let us see what you will do for the benefit of our progressive little city.


(Some suggestions remain the same through the years. DZ)                


The O’Neill House is now under the management of James Paulus, who took hold the first day of the week.  Legare Potter, who has been the proprietor for the past year, decided to retire and has moved into this residence property on West Fifth Street.


Mr. Paulus comes of “old hotel stock” and will meet with ready success.  It was his father’s, the late John Paulus, time that the O’Neill was at its best and “Jim” knows how it was done and will see it is done the same again.


Gilbert Johnson of the city and W. G. Allen of Loyal left Tuesday on a fishing expedition.  They went to a point near Antigo, where trout are said to be abundant.  Both gentlemen are expert fisherman and their catch will no doubt be a big one.                                                                                                                                       


Wm. Goeden, the Cigar Manufacturer, is out drumming for his trade in and around Grand Rapids, where he has an excellent trade.                                                                                                           


Gardeners are complaining this spring about the depredations of the English sparrow.  They are eating the young vegetables as soon as they appear above the ground, and owners of strawberry patches also say that the little pests are eating the berries as soon as they turn red.                                            


Mrs. Fryslie has sold out her restaurant to Sherman Gress, who is now in possession.  He expects to make several improvements and his mother will soon come here and help him, so that it will be a good restaurant.  Mrs. Fryslie has gone to Phillips, where she also has a restaurant.                                                     


Geo. Comer has been giving the French building occupied by W. I. Johnson and Dignin sisters a bright coat of paint this week.                                                                                                              


Bottle Beer - Jung’s Milwaukee beer delivered to any part of city free at 60 cents per dozen, pints.  Ring up 76 White House Buffet, Neillsville                                                                           


Last Thursday was the longest day of the year and it was quite cold, some people lighting fires in their heaters and others brought out their winter coats again.  As frequently happens, the weather shifts at the summer solstice and from being cold it usually becomes hot.                                                                           


H. J. Brooks has sold his bar fixtures to Aug. Schoengarth, who will install them in his building and run a saloon.


There will be several changes among the saloon men on the first of the month.  There will be as many as eight shifts made.


Judge O’Neill and his daughter Marion returned home Tuesday from their trip to the East.  The Judge attended the 35th anniversary of Cornell University, his alma mater.



 A view of Neillsville’s 600 Block along Main Street in the late 1800s, during the time of ox-drawn carts/wagons;  Businesses shown (left to right):  Knoop Co. General Merchandise, Neillsville Land Co., Gates & O’Neill House.



June 1946


A large garage will be constructed in Neillsville by the U. S. War Department for the storage and repair of mobile army equipment.  Their garage will be located near the city pumping station, on land deeded to the state by the city.  The construction in that location will determine the site, also, of an armory, if and when a new armory is authorized for Neillsville.


The garage will have a floor area of 50 feet by 200.  The site to be deeded by the city will be 100 by 250, thus providing plenty of room for parking.  Adjacent to the site selected is plenty of land, owned by the city, so lying, it is stated, that the construction of the proposed buildings will not interfere with the later development of a sedimentation basin and filter plant in connection with the city water works.  The construction of the garage will be cement block or tile, with Quonset roof.


From the discussion it became evident that the Service Company, to be located in Neillsville, will take on even greater importance than before World War II.  The recent war saw an amazing development of mechanical equipment and its use.  Now a total of 83 vehicles are assigned to the Service Company for maintenance and use, and all of these will be cared for in Neillsville.  All of the vehicles must be kept in good operating condition, and this will require the services of one or two mechanics.                                                                                                 


H. A. Kintzele and William Gallagher went fishing Sunday on Lake Arbutus in a canoe.  That is they started in the canoe, but presently they were out of it.  Just how it happened is not a matter of record; certainly nobody could have been standing in the canoe, not when casting.  But that tricky canoe went right over, and the next thing those two fishermen were mixed right up with the fish in the lake.  Later they were observed to be fishing for their fishing tackle, which also had not remained in the canoe.                                                                           


Mr. and Mrs. Fred Bullard, old-timers of Neillsville, observed their 39th wedding anniversary last Saturday, June 15.  For the first time since 1920 they were turning away from their old home, enroute to Jamestown, N.D., to visit relatives.  They had broken up their home here, had sold the Taplin homestead, which had been in the family for 60 years and had no prospect of again making Neillsville their dwelling place.


The occasion of their departure was chiefly the delicate health of Mrs. Bullard, who had difficulty with the rigorous winters here.  They expect to locate in Kansas City, where they have relatives and where they anticipate milder winters, with summers perhaps correspondingly hot.


Their surrender of possession of their old home on the North Side was the final step in breaking the old bonds.  Their home had been built by W.W. Taplin 60 years ago and had gone from his estate into the possession of Mrs. Bullard, his daughter.  The home was located close to the side of the old foundry, which Mr. Taplin and H.E. Korman had established in 1881.  That was in the days of small foundries, and the partners did a flourishing business for a long time.  But in the 1890s the lumber business was fading and the foundry business had gravitated to the large plants.  So Mr. Taplin became chief machinist of the Rib Lake Lumber Co., and in 1907 wrecked the old foundry building here.  Upon that site now stands the Robert Reimer and Ray Paulson homes.  Mr. Taplin died in 1917; Mr. Korman in 1924, Mrs. Korman still lives on the North Side.


Fred Bullard came to Neillsville in 1886 at the age of 12.  He was the son of Warren C. Bullard, an old-time carpenter.  Fred went to school, and, while still very young, worked at the old furniture factory and in mills.  He was of mechanical turn and took a correspondence course in engineering.  He went into the local lighting plant at the bottom of the ladder and continued there 14 years, winding up that experience in charge of the plant.  Then he went to Rib Lake as superintendent of the lighting plant and was afterwards chief engineer for the Rib Lake Lumber Co.


The Bullards came back to Neillsville in 1920 and reoccupied the old Taplin home.  After some time Mr. Bullard became janitor of the North Side School and continued in that relation for 12 years.  For him this was a happy occupation, for he liked the children.


Prior to her marriage, Mrs. Bullard was a schoolteacher.  She had taught 15 years, following her graduation from Neillsville High School. She taught in the Mound School, and among her students was Fred Hrach, Jr. who was most cooperative, and the young Mae Bullard had pleasure in him as a pupil.  Hence, it was a satisfaction to her to turn over to him the old Taplin home, which he purchased from the Bullards last fall.


The Bullards have been active and helpful in civic affairs in Neillsville.  Mr. Bullard was a member of the Rotary Club and an interested participant in its public activities.  He served for a time as an alderman and member of the City Council.  Mrs. Bullard was a member of the Monday Progress Club.  She took great interest in the city of Neillsville; had preserved many clippings and photos of local historic interests.


(The W. W. Taplin Foundry & Machine Shop business was located on the east side of North Hewett Street between 10th and 11th Streets, with fine adjoining buildings extending to the east.)


Building permits for a large automotive garage, two houses and a one-car garage were granted by the city council at its meeting Tuesday night.


William Whaley, local automotive dealer, was granted a permit to build a garage building on Fifth Street between South Grand Avenue and Clay Street, just west of the Deep Rock Service station and adjoining Goose Creek.


Permits for the houses were granted to Thomas A. Flynn to build a housed on a south extension of South Clay Street on land, which he recently purchased; and to Raymond Larson to move a building in from the country to be at the corner of North Hewett and 18th Streets.


Mrs. Joe Felser was granted a permit to build a garage on her property at the corner of Fourth and West Streets.


Ten years ago the scene of desolate wasteland, the Rock Dam area near Willard, today is rapidly becoming a pleasant resort area.


Already about 12 cottages have been erected on lots along the dam.  And, were it not for the present-day difficulties of securing materials and labor, the area might literally be a beehive of building activity.


The entire lakeside area has been carefully plotted into lots by the county.  These lots are rented on an annual basis at rates ranging from $5 to $15 per year, the rental depending upon the size of the lot.


At present, according to County Clerk Herbert Borde, 34 persons have rented lots for the current year.  This represents an income this year of $295 for Clark County.  While this may not seem like a large sum Mr Borde points out that it is far more than that wasteland ever produced for the county in taxes under private ownership, and far more than it ever produced before under the ownership of the county.


Most of the 34 persons who have rented lots for the current year have taken on more than one lot; and most of them who have not already done so plan to build a cottage as soon as material and labor conditions permit.  However a few cottages are now under construction, including those of John G. Bogumill and W. B. Parks, both of Thorp.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel