Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

January 6, 2016, Page 11

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

January 1906


Wm. Thorn and Ed Hommel have taken a logging job together for the Foster Lumber Co. to put in timber from the north Mound.  They have moved their families out there and hired John Christianson and wife to cook for them.  They expect to run a crew of about twelve men.                                                         


The work on the new steel bridge across Black River on the west side of Greenwood was completed last week and the bridge has been accepted.  There is still more stonework to do on the approaches, but this will be left until spring.  The bridge is now being used.                                                                               


The Luethe & Schroeder hay press has been busy bailing the hay on Editor Ring’s farm, south of town, this past week.  There is a fine lot of it.                                                                               


On Monday Teddy Dyskow discontinued business in the barbershop opposite the C. C. Sniteman Co. drug store and Dick Townsend, who has for some time been in the O’Neill House shop, moved into the premises.  He is fitting the shop up elegantly and will run three chairs with himself, Robert Glass and Ole A. Jackson in charge.  A bathroom with hot and cold water will be run in connection with the shop.  A neatly constructed boot-black stand has been set up and will be run by Freddy Stowell.  Mr. Dyskow will for the present, run a shop at the O’Neill House.


The Inter-state Farmer published by the Inter-state Farmer Co. at Loyal is the latest addition to the field of agriculture journalism.  It is issued monthly from the Chronicle office and is up-to-date in the latest note of agriculture.


H. B. Gregory, manager of the Levis Creamery, returned this week from Loganville, Wis., to fill the icehouse preparatory to starting the creamery.  A good season’s run is anticipated.


Sheriff Campbell took the keys of Clark County’s bastille at high noon Monday, and will for the next two years look to feeding and lodging the wayward ones who find their way to his castle.


Tilton, Roberts & Co., started operations in their saw-mill at Lindsey, Wood County.  They manufacture lath, shingles and sidewalk lumber.  Much of the material used comes from the Clark County side.


While Billy Beaulieu was driving from Hogen Sunday night, with his best girl, he got on the wrong road, getting as far as Lindsay before they realized where they were, having to turn around arriving in Chili about midnight.  Pay a little more attention to your horse next time, Bill.                                                  


Lumber is being hauled for a new creamery to be built in the Town of Grant near F. C. Reidel’s.  It is to be 26 feet by 60 feet and 18 feet high including the basement.  Construction is under the management of John Hansen who is looking after the interests in the vicinity of a large creamery company in the southern part of the state.


There is still logging within the city limits of Neillsville.  Last week James Campbell hauled, about 2,000 feet of fine basswood logs from his five-acre tract down to Trogner’s mill.                 


Quite a surprise was sprung on the business part of Hewett Street Monday when it was announced that H. A. North had sold his hardware business, store building and stock to Denis Tourigny.  Mr. Tourigny whose hardware store adjoined that purchased from Mr. North will use his old store for a warehouse and do business in the North building.  Mr. North’s health has been poor for some time and he will lie off for a while before going into business.  Mr. Tourigney needed the room for his over-crowded stock and when he gets the stock arranged and consolidated it will be one of the best and most complete this side of Milwaukee.   



H. A. North owned a hardware business on the northwest corner of the Hewett and West 6th Street intersection, selling it to Denis Tourigney in January 1906.  In the above photo, it is the first building at the far left.



On Tuesday, the Hyslip Creamery made a shipment of butter to Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.  When some of the congressmen get a taste of it, they will pass the Grout bill in a hurry.  The creamery has done nearly double the business the past year than was done the year previous and the outlook for next season is still better.  At present they take milk every other day and get about 13,000 pounds.                                                                                               


For prompt attention, comfortable rig and a quick trip, call up Phone 37. That is Kelley’s livery stable, Duck Wheaton’s former stand, on Sixth Street, between Grand Avenue and Clay Street.



January 1941


The Lone Pine Dairy is a Neighborhood Business Center in Reseburg.


Yes, the County Store is on the gain.  It meets a need.  Here the merchandise is standard, dependable and honestly priced.


Filling Station - Standard Gasoline and Standard products to fit the requirements of a business which has been built on high standards of quality.


Locker Service - A locker plant of the most approved type, ideal service for farmers.  We have 152 lockers, with only a few left for rent.


Milk Outlet - Farmers in the Reseburg section know Frank Meske and know that, selling to him, they are sure of the cash and of honorable treatment.


Frank Meske, Proprietor                                                                                    


Managers of Neillsville’s four hockey teams will meet in the council room of the city hall Saturday, January 4, at 6:30 p.m. to complete plans for the city league and adopt a schedule.                       


The “Ridge” folks and a large number of friends from Neillsville, Granton and other nearby points gathered at the church there Sunday, Nov. 22, for a homecoming celebration and to honor George Vine, who has been superintendent of the Sunday school for the past twenty-five years.


Mr. Vine, a native of that community, was born February 8, 1876, on the farm now occupied by his brother, Fred Vine.  The home farm is located a half mile north and a half mile east of the church.  He was five when the church was under construction and just old enough to toddle down the road to Sunday school when the structure was completed.  Since that time he has constantly been connected with the institution as a member and worker in the Sunday school and church.


A 12-noon potluck dinner was followed by an impromptu program.  Ref. Walter T. Schott, a former pastor, Rev. Obed Asp and Rev. G. W. Longenecker were the principal speakers.  A number of past teachers and pupils were asked to talk on the influence the church and Sunday school have had upon their lives and the part played by these institutions in the up-building of the community.


An interesting feature of the program was a song service.  Each past organist was asked to play a hymn, selected by her, while the audience sang the verses.  Mrs. Asp also played several sacred numbers.


Letters from former Pleasant Ridge people included greets from Mrs. Albert Duege of Indiana; Mrs. Flarie Turvey, California; Mrs. Leander Olea, Osseo, and Mr. and Mrs. Ira Slocomb, Menomonie.  The messages were read by Rev. Asp and George Vine.


The first Pleasant Ridge Church, built in 1881-82 under the pastorate of the Rev. J. E. Webster, served the community for exactly fifty years, for it was in 1932 that the old brick church was destroyed by fire.  The following year a new frame structure was erected, dedication services taking place on the third day of December 1933.


At the close of the program last Sunday, it was voted to make the homecoming an annual event.


(The Pleasant Ridge Methodist Church served as a worship center for about 60 years, closing in the early 1940s.  The church bu8ilding remained vacated for some time, until a retired couple took on the project of renovating it into an attractive, comfortable home, which is located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Miller Avenue and U. S. Highway 10, three miles east of Neillsville. DZ)                                


Town of Foster correspondent, Mrs. Roy Durst submitted the following news article:


Because of old-fashioned spirit of neighborliness W. H. Weigert had a new barn Satruday night, not more than 14 hours after his three-year-old barn had been razed to the ground by fire.


Hearing of the loss at the Wiegert farm early Satruday morning, about 12 neighbors quickly organized a barn-raising bee.  They dropped the work they had planned for themselves and hustled over to the Wiegert place.  And they worked through the day like beavers.


When night came the outside of the barn had been finished, and the roof was on.  Of course, the inside was not completed; no stanchions, or the like.  But the cattle had a place out of the night weather.  The new barn is 14 by 44 feet, made of hemlock lumber.


The fire, which destroyed the old Wiegert barn, was discovered about 3:15 a.m. by a truck driver, Andrew Szydel, and an unidentified motorist, who was driving behind Mr. Szydel’s truck.  Together they drove into the Wiegert place to raise the alarm.  One of them ran to the blazing barn and turned the nine head of cattle and two horses out, while the other awakened the Wiegerts.                                                                                             


Less than one-half of Clark County farm homes located within one-quarter mile of an electric distribution line have been connected, according to a survey recently completed by the United States Chamber of Commerce and the Bureau of Census.  The official report includes electric service companies as well as REA cooperatives’ power lines.


Of the 3,768 farm dwellings in Clark County, which are located within one-quarter mile of power lines, only 1,750 have been electrified according to the repot.  Electric current is being supplied by home plants on 194 farms, although 120 of the latter are within the one-quarter mile distance from a power line.


Clark County farmers have 1,068 telephones, 4,773 automobiles, 2,224 trucks, and 1,746 tractors, the report indicates.


The office equipment of the Tibbett Ice and Fuel Company was moved to the new location at Grand Avenue, where a neat little building has just been completed.


The structure 20x30 feet in size has been divided into convenient rooms for display, storage and office purposes.  Fronting on Grand Avenue the east portion of the building will be used as a display room while the north portion will house the office equipment.  A side entrance gives convenient access to the large scales.


A decision to sell the county poor farm in the Town of York and to move the personal property onto the Clark County Asylum farm was reached by the public property committee in joint session Tuesday morning with members of the paper claims committee.


Three reasons for exposing the 160-acre farm for sale were listed by the committee.  Because of of present world conditions, the committee deemed this the “best time to offer the property for sale.”


Other reasons entering into the decision were the fact that William Plummer, manager of the poor farm for several years, “does not care to rent the farm,” and that a new heating system is needed.


The real estate will be sold under sealed bids, which will be opened at 9:30 a.m. February 8, the committee determined.


When Japanese planes unloaded their first bombs on Hawaii, and later on the Philippines and Guam, they were striking at Clark County.  Several Clark County youths last were reported on those islands on military duty.  Relatives of many others were in army and naval duty in the danger zone.


Among them are:


Charles Perushek, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ludwig Perushek of Willard, a machinist’s mate on an aircraft carrier at Pearl Harbor.


Robert, 21, and James Cattanach, 24, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Cattanach of Owen, second class seamen on a cruiser last reported in Pearl Harbor.


Keith Colby, Loyal, stationed with an army unit on the island of Guam.


Pvt. Phillip W. Hang, nephew of Leo Foster of Neillsville, stationed at Pearl Harbor.


Lt. B. B. Becker, brother of Richard Becker of Neillsville, Stationed at Manila, P.I.


Vincent and Alphonse Melcher, brothers of Mrs. George D. Hart, whose husband operates the A & P meat concession in Neillsville, army men stationed near Honolulu.


With sons, brothers and relatives on islands attacked by the Japanese, members of many families have been anxiously awaiting some word.  But they have adopted the attitude that “no news is good news” on a time like this.


Three Wisconsin homes had been notified up to Wednesday morning of the death of sons in the first stab of Japanese dirk.


A week later, Navy Secretary Frank Knox reported that the Japanese surprise attack on the harbor resulted in the severe loss of 2,897 men and six ships.


(Japan’s surprise attack upon Pearl Harbor was December 7, 1941, which destroyed or damaged much of the U. S. Naval fleet that was docked in the harbor at that time.  The attack resulted in the United States declaring war upon Japan and its entrance into World War II.  Every family had someone in the military service during that war.  DZ)


Roy Turner, 54, native of York Center, Clark County who has been living in Chippewa Falls, is now one of the many American workmen speeding construction of defenses for the Panama Canal.


Mr. Turner left New York harbor November 13 and arrived on the island of Trinidad, off the coast of Venezuela, in the Caribbean Sea.  Since that time he has been employed on defense construction there.


Arrangements for his transferal started some time ago, and in October he visited Neillsville to get a record of his birth in order to make arrangements for passport and visa.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel