Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

July 9, 2014, Page 16

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News


Schuster Park


Summertime and Schuster Park seem to go together for many who like to enjoy family outings by picnicking and relaxing under the shade trees while the children play on the swing sets, slides and other playground equipment made available there.


Travelers driving by the park on US Highway 10 during the summer are often seen stopping to enter the park, which is a pleasant place to eat their lunch.  If they have children, it is a convenient place for them to get exercise. 


This park was a dream, which came true for Jeff F. Schuster, a longtime resident of Neillsville. Jeff liked the city he had been a resident in for many years and supported it in many ways.


William A. Campman and Schuster were business partners in the Schuster-Campman Abstract & Title Co., a firm that is still in business under that established name.


Schuster Park is made up of 10 acres of land located on the southeastern side of Neillsville.


Jeff Schuster had assembled this tract of land over a period of 30 years, gathering it up parcel by parcel.  Part of it he got by buying tax deeds, and then part was obtained by paying owners what the fair land market value required.  He finally got it all into one piece of land.


This speaks well for a man who had foresight and business skills and who understood real estate, as well as knowing how to assemble small parcels of little value into one large parcel of very great value.  While doing this project of purchasing there adjoining plots of land, Schuster had a plan in mind.


On July 8, 1921, Jeff Schuster, William A. Campman, A. L. Devos and George Zimmerman, all local businessmen, appeared before the Neillsville City Council, urging the city to accept an offer of the 10-acre tract of land to be given by Schuster for a city park.  It would be given on the condition that the city would develop and maintain it as a park.


The city suggested that Schuster and J. W. Hommel lay out drives in the park area.


There is a park entrance off US Highway 10 on Willow Street, with parking areas that border the east side of the park.


Another entrance is on the northwest side with a road turning off Center Street, which winds up to the center of the park, making access to the two shelters.  Another roadway winds along on the north side of the park, from Center Street to Willow Street.


At an April 24, 1942 city council meeting, a recommendation was made to buy and install two outdoor skeleton stoves, made available for picnickers to grill food.


On April 13, 1943, the city council named George Frantz as custodian of Schuster Park.


On Feb. 29, 1944, the city council put out a contract for development of a Schuster Park well, which was used for a few years.  Schuster Park now has access to the city water system.


Sept. 13, 1955, the city council gave permission for 30 trees to be taken from Schuster Park, to be transplanted on Memorial Hospital grounds.


Schuster had designated that the upper north end of the park, the area bordered by the north roadway, would remain as a tree nursery, made available for transplanting saplings on city property.


At the March 28, 1961 city council meeting, members received news of funds being made available by the Listeman Foundation to be used in making needed improvements on the Schuster Park grounds.


Recently a new bathroom facility was built which was made possible by the funds received from the Listeman Foundation.


The city of Neillsville has taken good care of maintaining Schuster Park throughout the years along with some help from the Lions Club, Kiwanis Club and the Listeman Foundation.


The Schuster’s did not have children.  However, they were able to provide park property for other people’s children to enjoy, which was a wish fulfilled by their generosity.


The above photo is believed to have been the first entrance sign into Schuster Park, along US Highway 10.  Made up of 10-acres, the land was donated to the city of Neillsville by Jeff Schuster at a council meeting on July 8, 1921 with the condition that it be used as a city park. Through the years, the shaded park has remained popular with many who use its facilities for picnics, family reunions, club gatherings or just a quiet rest stop for those who are traveling.


July 1869


Another year of American Independence is with the past.  The ninety-third anniversary of the day upon which this nation was declared free, has seen the people gather around the starry flag to commemorate the heroic deeds of our forefathers who fought for liberty; listen to words of genuine patriotism; feel the patriotic impulses of a just national pride that the government which gives equal rights to all men has become a power among the nations of the earth; and rejoice that it is the “best government under the sun.”


The celebration at Neillsville was a grand success, surpassing any demonstration that has ever taken place here before and the happy occasion was one enjoyed and long to be remembered by those who participated.


The First Universalist Church of Black River Falls will be dedicated on the 17th and 18th, and the minister ordained.  Some important personages from abroad will be present, upon the occasion, which promises to be a grand affair.


The firm of Hewett, Woods & Co., has lately dissolved their co-partnership.  Ten years ago Messrs. James Hewett, O.S. Woods and C. Blakeslee associated themselves together in business.  Their capital was small and their operations were first conducted upon a very limited scale, but with persevering industry and indomitable energy in the management of their affairs, they became one of the largest and wealthiest firms upon Black River.  Unlike other firms who have lived outside the county, they have resided here and rendered invaluable assistance in our development.  We understand Mr. Blakeslee’s share of the company’s possessions, includes all the property in this village and the large farm a few miles east of here.  Messrs. Hewett and Woods continue together in their business matters.


Messrs Neverman & Sontag have opened their new brewery here and hundreds who have so long hankered for the favorite beverage have already indulged in copious draughts of homemade lager.


The building of Neverman & Sontag is of large proportions, being three stories in height, besides the basement, and when entirely finished, will be a fine specimen of architectural beauty.  With a splendid brewery in full blast, who says that Neillsville cannot afford to put in Metropolitan airs?                                   


Our village barber left town a short time ago, to visit some of his friends, as he said, intending to return soon.  He has not come back yet and from the looks of some faces about town we are prompted to say that the first barber who comes in here and sticks out his pole will strike a rich lead.  The subject of importing a tonsorial artist almost demands public consideration.  We are jeopardizing the reputation Neillsville has sustained of having good looking business men.


The limits of our village are gradually extending.  James O’Neill’s fourth addition has just been made.  It is situated east of the courthouse square and consists of about six blocks.  The Deputy County Surveyor, Mr. Wm. Welsh, says in the report of the survey made by him that “the streets are 66 feet wide, the alleys are 16 and a-half feet in width and the lots in the blocks are 66 feet front and 132 feet in length.”  There are in all, 51 lots.  The first street east of the courthouse, running north and south, is named State, the second Huron, the third Center, and the fourth Willow.  Mr. O’Neill has already disposed of some of the lots and we notice building has been commenced upon one of them.


During the huckleberry season numerous excursions are made from their vicinity to the region where grows this delicious fruit.  Whether these trips are really for the berries or the fun of going after them is a query in the minds of many.  From what we have already witnessed, however, we are of the opinion that gathering berries is the ostensible object and it a party can be caught in several rain showers, experience a good many breakdowns, lose provisions upon the road and snatch up stray chickens from some farmer’s barnyard, camp out at night and sleep (?) upon the grassy turf, become exhausted physically, and come home after an absence of several days with one huckleberry in the pail to a dozen adventures to recount, the expedition has met with unparalleled success.


(A huckleberry is more commonly known to us as a blueberry. DZ)    


On last Friday afternoon a man named Elijah Buell was accidentally shot in his left thigh by a “set gun” in the woods, which may possibly cause his death.  He was employed in Warner’s logging camp on Black River, about 30 miles north of here, with a crew of men, who are kept there during the summer to take care of cattle and raise hay.  That afternoon, Buell went out in search of a stray ox, when he suddenly came in contact with a string, attached to a gun, which was set for the purpose of shooting wild game.  The gun was discharged and the ball entered his left thigh.  Falling to the ground, he lay exposed to the hot sun until his cries brought some Indian called Jake, who, it appears, set the gun.  Among them were two or three squaws, who set up a piteous wailing over the sad casualty.  The Indians seeming to realize the criminality of their offense, sympathized deeply with the unfortunate man and with great care conveyed him down the river in a birch canoe, some white men took Buell in charge and carried him to Mead’s farm, from which place he was carried about ten miles to George Huntzicker’s, upon the shoulders of four men, accompanied by as many more acting as a relief and from their transported him in a boat to Weston Rapids, and then brought to the O’Neill House in this village, arriving here Saturday night.  Dr. Cole of Black River Falls had been summoned, reaching here the same evening.


The next day an operation was performed upon the man’s limb by Drs. Cole and Crandall.  The ball had shattered the bone, in five large pieces of which with the ball were extracted.  The leg could not be amputated without sacrificing the man’s life and as he is now, there are very little hopes of his recovery.


Indian Jake has undoubtedly fled the country.  The practice of setting guns in the woods to kill wild game is quite common in this area, and should be stopped.


July 1949


Mr. and Mrs. James Quicker of Granton will observed their golden wedding anniversary this coming weekend.  They were married 50 years ago on July 12, but for the convenience of relatives from a distance are celebrating July 9, 6 p.m. with a dinner for relatives and 8 to 10 in the evening, an open house.


The Quicker’s have a considerable family, the members of which will, so far as possible join in the reunion.  Oldest is Albert, who resides in San Diego, Cal., and whose health prevents the long trip.  Next oldest is Roland of Granton; then Hilda, Mrs. John Barth, who resides on the old Quicker place south of Chili; then Leah, Mrs. Malvin Schafer, Lynn; Hubert of Neillsville; Reinhart of Neillsville; Esther, Mrs. Marvin Voigt, of Neillsville; Irene, Mrs. Lavern Vanderwyst of Granton.


Mr. and Mrs. Robert French bought the Lester Volz home on West 5th Street.  Lester Volzs are moving into the Glenn Roberts’ house, on West Fourth Street, which they have purchased.


Mr. and Mrs. Karl Johne, Sr., have traded their small farm in the village limits of Granton for a large farm near Willard.


State traffic officers swooped down on Neillsville last week and left the city after handing summons to 12 truckers, most of who were milk haulers, hauling into Neillsville.


The unheralded visit was a part of the statewide campaign ordered by their boss, who is in hot water with Ben Marcus, who, as head of the motor vehicle department, is, in turn, his boss.


Word spread rapidly among the trucking fraternity hereabouts when the concentration of sate policemen gathered here.  The result was that here and there around the countryside were cached parts of loads, hurriedly jerked off the trucks to bring loads within the limits prescribed by the license each individual truck carried.


In their wake, the state men left a trail of men trekking to the office of Justice V. W. Nehs, where they received understanding treatment.  All except two, both of whom had the minimum fine of $5 and paid costs totaling $4 each.


Golfers and their friends are all excited about the “Mystery of the Fallen Tree”.


This mystery story centers on the big elm, which until a few days ago, raised its height proudly in the fourth fairway.  But that elm is down now.  It was cut down between days and is being cut up into firewood.


Diligent inquiry has been made by The Press in an effort to discover how the tree came to be cut down.


All that is known for sure is that early golfers on last Wednesday morning were amazed to find the tree had been cut down.  The evidence was clear that it had been a workmanlike job.  First, an axe had been used, to give the cut its proper start.  Then a saw had been used with a clean cut resulting.  The ax had been used on the eastward side of the tree, and this had made the tree fall right across the fairway.


In the case of the fourth tee on the Neillsville course, the difficulties created by the elm tree were increased by the various crevasses, ridges and canyons on the tee itself.  All other tees of the course are smooth and even offer splendid footing.  But the only good footing on number four-tee is on the right side of it, previously in exact line with the tree.  Sooner or later, it might be supposed, that tee will be filled in and leveled off, to be like the other tees on the course.  When that time comes, golfers will have to look for some other alibi when they make a foozle on the tee.  They then will be unable to blame either the tree or the canyons on the tee.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel