Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI, April 3, 2013 Page 12


Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

April 3, 2013 Page 12

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

 March 1883


Kit Durham’s sawmill in Weston has been sold to Thos. Miller and Charley Kayhart. The logs there will be sold under the hammer March 5.                                                                                


A very pleasant surprise party was held at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Robt Huyck in the windfall area Tuesday eve, Feb. 20, 1883.  The affair was in honor of their son Aaron’s 14th birthday.  A few presents from friends were given, namely: an album, from Mr. and Mrs. Reicher; a silver piece, from Mr. and Mrs. Josh Johnson; a silk handkerchief, from Edith Breed; a hat, from Charles Cornelius; a cup and saucer, from Nora Renne. About 60 persons were in attendance, taking in the young people from Nasonville and around to Greenwood. Dancing and music were kept up until the wee small hours, all went home happy.  Let’s go again; for Mr. and Mrs. Huyck know just how to entertain.


A large pile of stone, nicely corded, has been placed on Main Street opposite B. French’s residence, at which place Mr. Blakeslee is intending, we hear, to build a store 40 x 80, two stories, with cellar.  It is in a fine location.


Tuesday, Fred French and Alex Holverson had an unpleasant physical and very forcible demonstration of mutual ill-will, and the affair got into justice court, yesterday afternoon.  There was a verdict against Mr. French for $5 and costs rendered.  He has appealed to the higher court.                                                   


Marshall Hommel took a straight drunk in one hand and a disorderly in the other hand, and marched them to jail Monday night.                                                                                                           


Last Friday at 12 o’clock the house of Robert Christie, on his well-known farm, on the highway to Greenwood, was discovered to be in flames, and was so far in the power of the fire when the household was aroused, that no effort to save it was made. Christie himself with wife and family got out alive, and that was about all. As they rushed into a hallway on the second floor, Robert opened a door leading to the side opposite from when he came, and as he did so a mass of flame and smoke burst into his face, and nearly strangled him.  He jumped or fell backward and in doing so knocked his wife and little girl with him, and the three together fell down a stairway, probably a most fortunate fall.  They were out of the house, but Robert had on nothing but a shirt and in his pants pockets upstairs was money to the extent of $400.  He climbed into the window of his room and got the pants, but the cash was lost.  House and furniture were insured for $1,950, with the Home Company, which goes far to cover all loss except the cash.  Mr. Christie had made preparations for moving to Dakota this season and had leased his farm, we do not know if the fire has changed his plans.


Joe Marsh has broken camp on O’Neill Creek, for the reason that Charlie Renne, the foreman, was not tall enough to look over the top of the snow and keep the men at work.                              


Monday afternoon some men drove into town from northward with a load of straw.  They stopped in front of the North Side hotel and lowered the body of an Indian to the ground and carried the pitiable burden into the hotel, where warmth and care were found.  The Indian had become chilled and helpless; and the kind-hearted gentlemen who assisted him deserve praise, Tuesday morning he was all right.                             


The people’s caucus for the Town of Pine Valley will take place at the Cornwell schoolhouse next Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock.                                                                                                   


Vice grows by what it feeds upon, and it is the weakest, silliest sort of policy to suppose that by fostering it on one side of town, you protect the opposite side.                                                     


Yesterday, a quarter past three, the Greenwood Stage horses got away from the driver at the Reddan House and indulged in a most lively and harmless runaway, going west, speeding down eh street full steam.  They were stopped on Hewett’s hill, having had their run out.                                                                     


The partnership heretofore existing between Jas. Finnigan and Mrs. A. Burge in the restaurant business on Main Street was last Friday dissolved by mutual consent; Mr. Finnigan, selling his interest to Mrs. Burge, who continues as heretofore. She will collect all dues and pay all debts of the late firm.                              


A marriage of considerable interest to Neillsville people took place last week March 22, at the residence of the father of the bride, C. A. Ackerman, and one of the happiest unions it has been our pleasure to chronicle.  The gentleman and lady in the case were Mr. Henry Garvin and Miss Belle Ackerman. The mistrial services of Elder Hendren  were called into requisition, and in tying the twain together in the knot matrimonial he performed a service, which he will always remember with pleasure, as one of the happiest of his service as a church functionary.  Mr. and Mrs. Garvin took the 6 p.m. train, bound for Merrill, Lincoln County.


March 1943


A serviceman, LaVerne Gaier, writes to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Gaier, Granton, from New Guinea as follows: “I’ve lost quite a little weight since I’ve been here; everyone has.  It’s been a long way from a picnic, but things are turning out all right now.


I’m still with the same company. All the fellows from the “Ridge” are OK, too.  The news reports are sounding better, but it will take a long time, I believe.”                                                      


At about 4 p.m. Sunday, the roof of the Mrs. J. F. Vincent’s house on North Hewett Street was discovered to be on fire, originating, apparently, by a spark from the chimney.


The flames burned quickly through the wooden shingles, causing great damage to the attic and the stairway leading to the third story before the fire was discovered, Mrs. Vincent, who had been ill, being alone at the time.  Mrs. Dorothy Phillips and baby, who had been staying with Mrs. Vincent, had gone to the town of Washburn to spend the day with relatives.


Great damage also was done throughout the house by water, although most of the first floor furniture had been carried out.


Mrs. Vincent was taken to the home of a neighbor.  Her son, James Vincent, later took her to his home in the Town of York that evening.


Plans for repairing the structure, which was built by Mr. and Mrs. Vincent about twenty years ago, have not as yet been made. The building was insured.                                                       


The cupboard is almost completely bare of 1-A men in Clark County. Except for new arrivals in the lists, the selective service board at Loyal has gone its limit under its present instructions. With the March contingent on the way next Monday, and not a full contingent at that, the selective service board will await the next work from above.  If Uncle Sam wants more men in a considerable number from Clark County, he will have to take married men with children, and the word as to them, as yet, is that they are not to be called.


For the month of March Clark County was asked to furnish 83 men. When the bottom of the cupboard was reached, with all the shelves bare, 65 men were scraped up. These men were instructed to report at 9:30 Monday morning, March 15.  The bus will leave at 10 a.m.                                                                 


The Loyal Volunteer Fire Department elected officers at a meeting last week.  J. T. Christenson was elected chief.  Other officers to serve for the ensuing year are: Fred Church, assistant chief; and P. F. Voight, secretary-treasurer.


The time has come to stop temporizing with absenteeism in the shipyards and the airplane factories, or anywhere else. The time is past for merely studying it, or apologizing for it, or simply enduring it.


The house naval committee gathered the facts and they are startling enough.  Absenteeism has averaged 7.8 percent for 81 of our largest shipyards, the yards on which we depend for the building of enough vessels to keep supplies to those boys we have on far flung fronts and to win the war.


At what point of the week did this occur? Mostly, says the navy report, on Saturdays and Mondays.  That disposes the illness “apology.”  Men do not get sick on weekends only.  It disposes of the other alleged “causes,” such as lack of transportation, bad housing, and other excuses.


We cannot fight that kind of regime with coddling.  We do not want a “work or die” order, that is what we are trying to keep from being imposed on the world, including ourselves, but it is fair to say to men that they must do their full duty. And always there is a certain percentage, which for some reason or another, probably mostly thoughtlessness, must be awakened to their duty by penalties.                                                 


Little Carol Ann Schiller is ready for warm weather, being equipped with a grass skirt right from that hot spot, New Guinea. This skirt was sent to her by her father, Capt. Robert Schiller, who went through the New Guinea campaign and who is now in Australia.  It now remains for Carol Ann to learn the hula-hula.


Weapons of the navy are being turned in for the next two weeks at both banks in Neillsville.  This is the drive, made upon the urgent request of the navy, to provide weapons for training and guard duty, in order that the service weapons may all go to combat locations.


Weapons of all sorts are needed. Those supplying them will be given receipts. They are donations, with the possibility that, so far as practicable, they will be returned after the war.


Supervision of the campaign was, upon motion of Mr. Musil, placed in the hands of the Kiwanis committee on defense.


Frank Quesnell is selling his lunch car, the “All Aboard,” in Neillsville and proposes to return to railroading.  He will go to Milwaukee on or about April 1 and will work as a brakeman on the Milwaukee Road.  He worked on the road when he was young, before he struck into the restaurant business and is attracted by the present demand for railroad workers.


Mr. Quesnell will retain his home in Neillsville.  His family will remain here, at least until the early summer.  His daughter Anna Mae will graduate with the class of 1943.  Mary Imelda is in the fourth grade and Billy is in the first grade.


Mr. Quesnell’s break with Neillsville, though made by choice, carried with it many regrets, because of the pleasant associations of 13 years, during which he and his family have taken root here.  His reputation of fairness and good will led to his selection for the city council, as a member of which he has made a constructive contribution to the community.


The lunch car and business has been purchased by Mrs. Julia Reber, who will take possession, April 1st.


In the early 1930s Frank Quesnell placed a used passenger railroad car along the east side of Hewett Street, next to the south side of the railroad track, remodeling it into a lunch car.  The unique diner became a good place to eat, besides being a novelty to the community. The business was sold to Julia Reber in 1943, continuing to operate for a few more years.


Gertrude Annette Hansen of Neillsville has completed basic training at the first Women’s Army Auxiliary Cops training center at Fort Des Moines, Ia., and has been selected for specialist training in bakers and cooks’ school. By filling an important behind-the-lines job, she will release a soldier for combat duty.


Meeting of the Knot Hole Club was held at its regular place. The meeting was called in honor of Capt. Oscar Gluck, organizer of the club, whose birthday was celebrated.  Members present included vice president john “Cigar” Gloff and the newly elected sec-treas., Bill Dux, looking for a wife; Cooney Dux, the rector, always to be found wherever there is a dollar; Ray Paulson, adv. mgr.; Pete Warlum, auditor; Garald Hart, newly appointed to the entertainment committee: Elton Imig, the speaker; Paul Skroch, the club doctor; and waitresses, Genevieve Linster, Ruth Skroch, Mrs. Paul Skroch and Mrs. Matt Scherer.  The meeting adjourned for the duration of the war. After the meeting, lunch was served, which was Cannibal Sandwiches (raw hamburger), smoked liver sausage, cheese and fish. Food prepared by Brother Hart.  After the lunch all present sang “God Bless America.” The club’s motto is “One for all and all for one.”  The club has 4 service stars.


Point values for meat, butter, and cheese rationing were made public Tuesday. Each person is entitled to 16 points per week, with the points cumulative for one month, but not longer. Point values are as follows: one pound steak, 8 points; one pound hamburger, 5; one pound liver sausage, 6; one pound cheese, 8; one pound butter, 8.


If there is a Black Market in meat in Clark County, Uncle Sam is out to find it and put an end to it.


All persons butchering four-footed livestock, whether on farms or in abattoirs, and all dealers in livestock will operate on permits.  Butchers will be limited in extent of their operations to their volume in the year. Whenever they sell meat at wholesale, it must be marked, and they must receive ration coupons of corresponding amount, which they must turn over to the OPA.


The effect of this is to bring all butchering operations under rationing and to brand all other operations as being clearly of the Black Market character.                                                                          


Hart’s Southside Grocery, Weekend Specials: Herring, 7 lb. jar $1.20; 2-11 oz. pkg Corn flakes 17’ Cottage Cheese, lb. 17’; Winesap Apples 3 lbs. 30’; Chickens 4 lb. avg 30’; we buy Eggs & paying $10.00 per case.


Farm Auctions, this coming week: March 22 - Clyde Raine, proprietor, farm located ½ mile east of Neillsville, or the first farm near the fairgrounds. Tuesday, March 23 - Charles Fenske, proprietor, farm located ½ mile south and 1 miles east of Chili.                                                                                                            


A Victory Garden contest, for the city of Neillsville, will be sponsored by the Kiwanis club, with prizes offered. Plans will be made by the committee on agriculture, headed by F. A. Prange.  


Miss Bettie Osgood of the Wood County Normal has been doing her practice teaching at the Merry Vale School in the Town of York, under the supervision of Mrs. Cecilia Poziombke for the past two weeks.





© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel