Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

January 25, 2012, Page 9

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

January 1877


Our German fellow citizens celebrated New Year’s with a dance in Neverman & Sontag’s new hall.


Last Monday William McKnight who had his left foot badly frozen while at work in J. D. McMillan’s logger’s camp, about four weeks ago, was brought here for treatment, when it was found necessary to remove a portion of the great toe.  The operation was skillfully performed by Dr. Thompson and the patient is doing as well as can be expected.


It was “Lige” Myers who last Wednesday turned the corner too short, tipping the cutter over, running his horses into a show window at the Hewett & Woods building, played smash and then let the horses run. They ran right lively until they became divided in opinion as to the direction to be taken at the southern terminus of Main Street. There, they brought themselves up and to a standstill against a fence, with no other damage than breaking the dashboard of the cutter.


Quite a number of our citizens are talking of going to the Black Hills next spring. They thirst for gold, which we hope they may obtain.                                                                                                   


A fine article of kerosene oil, known in trade as the distilled brilliant oil, can be found at Lacey’s. The price is sixty cents a gallon.                                                                                                       


The new M. E. Church at Loyal is paid for and dedicated.  The debt was $500 last Sabbath morning, but within a few minutes after the close of the sermon, not only that amount, but $100 in addition was subscribed. Rev. W. S. Wright, presiding Elder of this district, preached the dedicatory sermon.     


From C. B. Bradshaw, we learn that twenty-eight buildings were erected, or completed, in this village during the past year, fifteen of which were dwelling houses, three stores and shops; nine barns, an engine house and public hall; a court house and church. Some of the dwelling houses are very fine ones, that of Mr. Jas. O’Neill being the best and with one exception the most costly building of the kind in this place, that of the Court House, which cost $32,700. We have not been able to learn the cost of the buildings enumerated above, but as many of them were very fine, they indicate the prosperity and enterprise of our citizens.                                                                           


Frozen toes have not been as numerous, as during the few weeks preceding.


Talk about long noses, we know a fellow that freezes the end of his every time it points to the north.


Two hours and a-half is what the ordinary Neillsvillian considers fair driving time from Neillsville to Black River Falls.                                                                                              


The building on Main Street, which has been occupied by Chas. D. King as a justice office since being vacated by Jaseph, has been removed t o the rear of the building and is being fitted up by the Hart brothers. The lot upon which it was located is now to be occupied by a portion of the Geo. Lloyd block, where Lloyd is preparing to build.


(George Lloyd built a large brick building along East Fifth Street, with the front and entrance facing Hewett Street. D. Z.)


January 1947


Dan Cupid has been one of the busiest little men in the county during the last year, for marriage licenses issued have reached an all-time high.


As a matter of fact, the previous records have not been merely cracked or broken, they’ve been completely shattered. In the last year 336 marriage licenses have been issued in Clark County. This compares with a previous high of about 250.


The return of the men from the world’s battlefields to home pastures, and the high prosperity of the present time have combined to make Little Mr. Cupid’s marksmanship unusually effective.


Just before Pearl Harbor, in 1942, the marriage license business here took a slight spurt. When United States entered the shooting foray, the marriage business suffered a slump s the civilians turned soldier.


In 1944, the last war year, “business” dropped to 147 licenses.  The end of the war was accompanied by a spurt, which sent the total of 216 for 1945.  Then was the record-shattering marriage boom of this year.


But, in spite of the record, the record-watchers in the county clerk’s office were a little disappointed. They wanted to see the volume reach 365, one for each day in the year.                               


Streets for Coasting – The Board of Public Works of the city of Neillsville designate the following streets as coasting hills and authorize the street commissioner to put up barricades and signs by day flares by night to warn the public to be cautious when approaching said streets:


South Oak Street, from West 2nd St. to 100 feet North of West 5th St; South State Street, from East 1st St. to East 4th St; West 19th Street, from North Hewett St. to North Johnson St.


Signed: Art Carl, Al Marg, Ernest C. Karnitz and Victor J Anderson


One of the most treacherous pieces of roadway during the icy period last week was the two-mile stretch of pavement between Greenwood and the junction of Highways 73 and 98. Traffic Officer Lorris Dusso reported that nine cars piled in the ditch in a period of four days as a result of the “glare ice” condition there.


A maximum budget of $6,000 was adopted at the annual meeting of the Congregational Church, held last Sunday afternoon. This is about $2,500 more than was raised by this church in 1946. An every-member campaign will presently be conducted to raise the budget, with Jess W. Scott as chairman.         


Mr. and Mrs. Frank Marg, of Neillsville, announce the engagement of their daughter, Angelyn Louise to Everett Herbert Dux, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Dux, Neillsville.  They plan a summer wedding.


Sharp Cuts in Army Goods!  We must clear them out!  4-buckle overshoes, used but in good condition, value new $4.59, now $2.10; sweatshirts, were 90¢, now 70¢; Fleet jacket, sheep-lined, was $14.95, now $9.95; New Marine Mackinaws, were $14.95, now $3.50; at Schlimme’s Shoe & Harness Shop.


Mrs. Otto Schlimme announces she has sold the Shoe and Harness repair business to Leland Bennett, who is already in possession of the shop and that she will continue her Mercantile Business at the same location, 111 West Fifth Street.


Somewhere there are about 12 shovels with abbreviated handles belonging to the city. They originally were placed in the sand bins at downtown street corners for the convenience of motorists and others who occasionally have need for them.


During the few years the bins have been in place, the shovels probably have been unintentionally placed in cars and carried away.


“Those short handles make them handy,” commented Street Commissioner Emil Mattson. So saying, he issued instructions that future shovel replacement be cut with longer handles, for “Then they won’t be so easy to drop in a car and forget.”


Incidentally, if anyone happens to discover one of the shovels kicking around in his car, he is asked to drop it off at the city hall. The city can us it as a replacement.                                       


The York Farmers Union will have a Fish Fry at the York Town hall, Friday, Jan. 24. Supper will be served from 6 p.m. ‘til all are served.                                                                                         


Ray Shaw and Louie Meinholdt have purchased the Pool Hall from Oscar “Dimps” Gluck. Mr. Shaw, who has been connected with the business for some time, will continue in active management.  Mr. Gluck said he has ‘nothing definite’ in mind for the near future.                                                                         


Herman North has become president of the Neillsville Bank. He was promoted from his long-time position as cashier, by action of the directors.  In the presidency he succeeds Mrs. W. L. Hemphill, who retires also from the directorate.


In his relation Mr. North will continue his active service to the bank. He has the desk at the east side of the front office and will occupy it regularly.  He will be constantly available for consultation and assistance to his successor.


Mr. North is succeeded as cashier by E. E. Hart, who comes from the Marion State Bank at Marion, Wis.  Mr. Hart has also become a stockholder and a director.  He will take over the active duties as cashier, which Mr. North has carried for more than 32 years.


Mr. Hart was chosen to relieve Mr. North because of the record, which he had made at Marion.  He went to the Marion Bank 10 years ago, when banking was difficult.  The assets at that time were less than $400,000.  In addition to the problem, which then faced most banks, the Marion Bank had the competition of two up-and-coming banks at Clintonville, a much larger city only six miles away.  Nevertheless, the Marion State Bank, under the 10 years of Mr. Hart’s management, attained assets of some $2,500,000 in a municipality of 1,100 persons. In that area the farming is the main business interest, much as it is in the Neillsville territory.


Mr. Hart has been active in Wisconsin banking since his graduation from the school of commerce of the University of Wisconsin in 1924.  He is a Wisconsin man all through; was born in Elroy and left there with the family in 1920.  His mother now resides at Reedsburg; his father is dead.  His family is still residing at Marion, but will come to Neillsville when suitable living quarters can be found. The family consists of Mrs. Hart; Barbara, 15, a junior in High school; Sally and Jane, twins.


The change of significance to the community since it concerns one of the oldest institutions of continuous service in Neillsville.  Mr. North becomes the fifth president. The first was Judge Richard Dewhurst, father of Mrs. Hemphill. Judge Dewhurst became president when, in 1883, the bank was changed from a private bank to a state bank.  He served until his death in 1895.  He was succeeded in the presidency by Charles F. Grow, a leading attorney of his time who was a partner of J. F. Schuster in the business now known as Schuster & Campman.  Upon Mr. Grow’s death, he was succeeded by W. L. Hemphill and upon Mr. Hemphill’s death, Mrs. Hemphill became president.


Mr. North’s service in the bank runs back to the days of Mr. Grow’s presidency.  He recalls that Mr. Grow was a lawyer of prodigious memory, who could often quote the law verbatim, without referring to the books. He was the bank’s attorney, as well as president, and was highly regarded in the community for sound judgment.


The first cashier was Joseph Morley, who was in service when Herman North entered the bank 48 years ago.  Mr. North did whatever there was to do in that early service, being then, as always since, a prodigious worker. Upon the death of Mr. Morley the title of cashier passed to Carl Stange, who assumed the position somewhat reluctantly and who passed much of the responsibility to Mr. North.  In 1914, Mr. Stange resigned and the title, as well as the toil passed to Mr. North.  Mr. North recalls the year 1914 was momentous in his experience.  In that year he took on the big load of the bank, the First World War started and he got married!  He thought a lot was happening then, but that wasn’t a circumstance in the load that built up with the passing years.


“The promotion of Herman North to the presidency of the Neillsville Bank was intended by the directors as a mark of appreciation of his long, arduous and devoted service,” said George Zimmerman, a director.  “Mr. North has served the bank with an intensity and fidelity, which is seldom equaled in business.  He has been constant in attendance, not only during banking hours, but at times when other persons would be seeking amusement and recreation.  He richly deserves an opportunity to ease up and to enjoy the relief and the honor, which will come with the opportunity to pass the heavy burden of details to his successor.


“The directors and stockholders are also conscious that there is significance in the resignation of Mrs. Hemphill from the presidency and the directorate.  Her retirement comes in a long-time desire.  It marks the first time in 65 years that there has not been a family member connected with the active direction of the bank’s affairs, either as officer or director. This relation has been important to the community, as well as to the bank, because the family has made it a matter of pride and honor to contribute to the integrity and solidity of the bank. This relation has been important to the community, as well as to the bank.  The soundness of local economy has inevitably been related to the standing of the Neillsville Bank and the standing of the Neillsville Bank has depended, in no small degree, upon the integrity and public spirit of the Dewhurst-Hemphill family.  It is fortunate from every standpoint that Mrs. Hemphill, though retiring from official responsibility, retains her stockholding interest.”


Mr. North will be the first of the bank’s five presidents to have a desk in the bank and to be in regular attendance. All of the others were active in other lines, Judge Dewhurst was at one time County Judge and had many business interests, including lumbering.  Mr. Grow was a busy lawyer, Mr. Hemphill engaged in lumbering and other business enterprises.  Mrs. Hemphill has remained modestly in the background during her period of service.


Order your baby chicks from Gaier Hatchery & Poultry Farm: They have two breeds of chicks, large type, of single comb white Leghorns and excellent white rocks.  Prices per hundred chicks: white Leghorn, pullets $28 or cockerels $3.00; White Rocks, pullets $19.50; cockerels $16.50.



In 1879, J. L. Gates, an early lumberman with extensive area holdings, sought to answer his own financial needs by starting a private bank. In 1883, Judge Richard Dewhurst gathered a group of prominent local men, including Gates, and they bought the bank.  They then applied for a State Charter, which was granted Sept. 1, 1883.  At that time the banking business was located on the northeast corner of the Hewett & East Sixth Street intersection and later, in 1909, the business moved into the Gates building on the opposite corner, Hewett & West Sixth Street, until 1975.






© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel