Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

October 31, 2012, Page 13

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News


October 1882


A party of surveyors is constantly at work on the Neillsville and North Eastern Railway.


Dave Garbush desires us to state that he will give a dance at Maple Works Hall, Maple Works, on Thursday evening, Oct. 5 and that good music and all that goes to make a party enjoyable will be supplied. Cigars, lemonade, and such, can be had in the adjoining hall. A cordial invitation is extended to all.      


The stave factory of Hein & Meyer is assuming enormous proportions. Their dry sheds now cover a large portion of their grounds.                                                                                                          


Odd Fellows hall is undergoing a thorough refitting and promises, when completed, to rank with the best of the state.  The work is being done by Capt. J. W. Tolford, which is a guarantee that it will be in the best manner.


Geo. H. Ray informs us that he has just sold the entire tract of pine lands situated along the Eau Claire River, owned by Almer Coburn, to the Eau Claire Lumber company. The price paid is upwards of half-a-million dollars.


Dr. Crandall shipped his household goods on Friday and took the evening train for his new home, Pelican Rapids, Minn.  He was accompanied by D. R. Brown, who will help him get settled.


Big money was offered by several for Dr. Crandall’s pet racing horse, but it did not tempt the Doctor.  Race winner “Old Dan” occupied a boxcar on the same train that the household goods were shipped out on.


Another grand excursion over the C. St. P., M & O railroad will start from Neillsville Oct. 31. The fare from here to Norfolk, Nebraska and return is only $16.  Tickets are good on a stop-over at St. Paul and any station west of St. Paul, and will be good to return home upon for forty days from date of purchase.  James W. Ferguson who took the benefit of the last excursion is expected home this week.


The Neillsville branch of the St. Paul & Omaha road does a good business in the way of passengers. There are two trains a day and those who often travel over the road speak of the large numbers that crowd into the omnibuses at the Neillsville station; many times there are twenty to thirty people at one time.    


Mrs. Rachel Pope Howard, aged 47, died in the Town of Grant, Clark County, Wis. Oct. 9, 1882.  Mrs. Howard was born in Soham, Cambridgeshire, England, April 30, 1835, and left England for America, June 15, 1852, settled in Ohio, and moved to Cook County, Ill., in 1855.  March 31, 1856 at Chicago, she was married to Robert Howard and came to Clark County in 1857, where they have ever since shared the toils of this new county.  She leaves five children and her much beloved husband to mourn her loss, also a sister, Mrs. Counsell.  She was a nurse and mother to the whole community, being always ready to attend the sick or any in trouble, would we have more such as her.


Rosenfold & Neumann have lately purchased a hay press and are now having a large hay barn built on their place. The boys bid fair to eclipse any business formerly done in Unity.          


The plate glass fronts were put into Bruley & Rossman’s store last Tuesday.  E. Bruley’s new store will be lighted with gas.


The second story of C. Blakeslee’s store building, opposite Dr. French’s residence, is being finished off.  (The Blakeslee building was at the northwest corner of the 4th and Hewett Streets intersection. DZ)


Landers & Anson, of Stevens Point, are putting in a logging camp on section 11-25, 3w, and will put into Wedges Creek during the coming logging season for about four million feet of pine.  Messrs. Wm. Ritchie and Andrew J. Bullard have taken a contract of these parties to put in about two and one-half million feet from the Hathaway tact in the same vicinity.


(Section 25, 3w, is in the Town of Seif, west side of Resewood Avenue and four miles north of U. S. Hwy. 10. DZ)


We regret to learn that Horace Heath, of Heathville, Town of Fremont, has lost his wife, Caroline last Wednesday.  Four of their children died this summer of diphtheria. This last stroke of pain will make him desolate indeed.


An “Up Country Man,” who was at Neillsville recently, noticed the Janitor performing the duties of the County clerk in the absence of that worthy. The transaction seemed to work all right, except that Woodward though the Janitor’s salary was hardly adequate compensation for doing the business for both offices.


The silver wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Erwin Black, which was celebrated at their residence in the Town of Weston on the 26th, was an exceedingly enjoyable occasion. Many of the guests arrived early in the day, while others did not put in an appearance until evening. Mr. and Mrs. Black entertained the company with such genial hospitality that all were made merry during the whole evening and regretted with the time came to take their departure. The presents were many and valuable.  It was the good fortune of the local editor of the Neillsville Times to receive an invitation; an acceptance resulted in a pleasant buggy ride and a most delightful holiday.  Mr. and Mr. Black are still in the prime of life and have the promise of many years of enjoyment.  Their home and life are pure and happy.  As we rode home upon the close of the festivities, their home suggested to us the chaste picture of domestic love and piety in Burns’ “Cotter’s Saturday Night.”


October 1927


The Emmanuel Evangelical Church of Chili was organized January 27, 1883 with the Rev. Geo. Winkowitsch presiding and August Prust the acting Secretary, and the following Trustees Board was elected and served as follows: William Lindow for a term of 3 years, August Prust for 2 years and Henry Neinas for 1 year.


For 13 years, this little congregation worshipped in the public school building and private homes, and in 1896 action was taken to erect a new church on a building site 2 miles southwest of Chili in the Town of Fremont, with full resignation of the small congregation to the task and ready to sacrifice time and material, and means.  A modest structure was erected and dedicated by the Rev. G. F. Kickhoeffer, Presiding Elder of the Portage District and the Rev. D. Schneider, Pastor.  Carl Mundt, Gustave Lindow and Anton Grim were elected as members of the Board of Trustees and also as Building Board.


But as this structure has outgrown its usefulness and is too small to accommodate the growing congregation, a special meeting was called by the Board of Trustees to be held January 12, 1927 with the pastor, Rev. G. E. Zellmer presiding, to consider the advisability of remodeling or having a new building. Action was taken for the erection of a new church building on a site, which the congregation had procured several years previous, in the village of Chili.  The following members were elected to serve as members of the Building Board: W. R. Happe, Sr., President; Chas. Lindow, 1st Vice Pres.; August Lindow, 2nd Vice Pres.; Henry Nebel, Secretary; and Edward Ott, Treas.


Mr. G. A. Krasin, architect of Marshfield was engaged to draw a blue print and set of specifications for the new building, which was accepted and the contract granted, with operations beginning as soon as possible.


This new church, which stands as a landmark and a credit to the congregation and community, will be dedicated on Sunday, Oct. 16, by the Bishop S. P. Spreng D. D. Of Naperville, Ill., services beginning on Friday evening previous, Oct. 14.


Friday evening: Farewell services in the old church.  Opening services, by the Pastor, Rev. G. E. Zellmer.


Sermon; Rev. A. E. Happe of Fond du Lac, son of the congregation; Eight o’clock, opening services in the new church by the pastor; Sermon and communion; by Rev. C. H. Kolander, Eau Claire, Presiding Elder; Closing Prayer, by Rev. M. D. Betzold, Chili the Assistant Pastor.


Saturday afternoon: two o’clock, Sermon by Rev. W. F. Schuelke, former pastor, now of Tomah; three o’clock, Quarterly Conference, by Presiding Elder.


Saturday evening: Young People’s Services; Devotional Service, Rev. Schuelke; Young People in the Sunday School, Rev. A. E. Happe and Rev. H. T. Bandt, Gillett, Wis., also son of this congregation.


Sunday Morning: Scripture and Prayer, Rev. C. H. Kolander; Sermon, Bishop S. P. Spreng, D. D.


Sunday Afternoon: Scripture and Prayer, Rev. M. D. Betzold; Sermon Dedication, Bishop S. P. Spreng, D. D., assisted by Rev. Kolander and Zellmer and trustees board.


Sunday Evening Services, 7:30 o’clock


Special Singing and instrumental music throughout the entire program!


The public is cordially invited to any and all of these services. No admittance charge, all are invited to worship with the congregation.


For information to the Public:


The general contract was awarded to Krasin Bros. of Marshfield; the Electric wiring to the Peterson Electric Co., of Marshfield; Heating to the Campbell Heating Co., of Des Moines, Iowa; Art Glass to Forman, Ford & Co. of Minneapolis; Seating to the Manitowoc Church Furniture Co., of St. Louis and an Irvine Piano from Marshfield.  The floor covering from the Klearflax Linen Looms of Duluth, Minn. through A. H. Dankemyer of Chili.


(The above history of the Emmanuel Evangelical Church reveals their first church was built in 1896, one mile south and one mile west of Chili. The Emmanuel Methodist Cemetery is on the northeast corner of the intersection of Division Avenue and Pine Creek Road, near the site of the first church building. DZ)


Eugene Short has recently completed a new hen house, which is most complete in every way.  It is built with gable ends and loft for straw. The building is 20 by 50 feet and is designed to accommodate 300 laying hens.  It is modeled after what is known as the Wisconsin plan. The equipment; roosts, nests, self-feeders and drinking fountains are all galvanized steel.  Mr. Short now has 285 White leghorn pullets that are just starting to lay eggs, all housed in this building.  In the old hen house he has 165 yearling hens.  He has a modern brooder-house, which is well equipped for raising young chicks.


Mr. and Mrs. Short started the chicken business in a small way and have found it to be profitable, so are now expanding.


(In that era, every farm had a small or larger flock of laying hens. Fresh eggs were available for daily meals and baking with the balance being sold or exchanged for staple items weekly at a local grocery store. DZ)


After Jan. 1, 1928, the new drivers’ license law takes effect.


This law provides that no person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of Wisconsin without obtaining a drivers’ license.  License will not be issued to persons under 16 years of age.


No fee is charged to the registered owner of a motor vehicle, but any other person is required to pay a fee of 25 cents.


Each member of the family who drives a car must have a license, in addition to the registered owner of the car.


The Methodist Church will serve a Plum Pudding Dinner, Wednesday, Oct. 26.  Menu: Roast Pork and dressing, applesauce, mashed potatoes, brown gravy, squash, pickles, light and dark bread, fruit salad, and plum pudding with sauce. Serving 5:30 until 7:00 o’clock                                                          


Last Saturday a special meeting of the stockholders of the Clark County Agricultural Society was held at the fairgrounds and the matter of a new grandstand was made the special order of the meeting. The stockholders also held a wrecking bee, tearing down the remains of the old grand stand and cleaned up the rubbish.


In this connection it might be well to state that when the old grandstand was being wrecked, it was found that nothing short of a miracle prevented a serious accident at the fair last fall.  It was found that the timbers in the old stand were so badly rotted and so broken by the storm, which wrecked the structure, that it would seem impossible that the stand could be used and hold as large of a crowd as it did last fall without buckling and going down in a heap.


It was voted at the meeting Saturday to build a new grandstand of concrete, steel and wood construction, to cost $10,000. This construction would make the building practically fireproof and impervious to weather conditions.  Just where the new stand will be erected was not decided, but the location most favored was on the west side of the racetrack and facing the east.                                                                                                     


The Willard country reaped a substantial harvest for the canned bean industry this season, 427,639 pounds of beans being delivered at the Willard station fro the Neillsville Cannery, for which $17,701.34 was paid out. This does not include some beans that were delivered before the station was opened and quite an amount brought in after the Willard station was closed.                                                                                                                                 


Sunday was the wooden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Pischer’s marriage and about 40 of their friends came to help them celebrate the event. A fine dinner was served and all had a jolly good time.  A number of useful gifts were given to them, one of which was quite remarkable, a sauerkraut pounder made o a block of wood with a long handle attached, which was hand-whittled out by Gottlieb Mallig who is blind. (This would be the Fifth Anniversary! Dmk)


Clarence Hell has leased the Paulson Hall and will manage a first class roller rink with good all fibre skates and music.


He intends to open every Tuesday and Thursday night, with Sunday matinee and evening. The rink will open Oct. 18 and is featuring Chas Wilson, fancy trick skater of Pittsburgh, Pa., on opening night.  Ladies Free!


Goose & Duck Shoot with raffle will be held Sunday, Oct. 23 at the Will Joyce Farm, 2 miles east and ¾ mile north of Christie.  Rifles and shotguns will be used.  No shot smaller than No. 5!




Paulson’s Garage and Service Station was located at the northeast corner of West Fifth and Grand Avenue in Neillsville in the early 1900s.  The second story featured a maple hardwood floor, ideal for roller skating and dancing.  It was a busy place with wedding dances and other parties.  The Moose Lodge held their meetings and sponsored events there also.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel