Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

July 6, 2011, Page 10

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

July 1881


Dore and Austin’s cheese factory, in the Town of Grant, is now at work.  The first cheese was made last Tuesday.  The prospects are that within a few weeks Neillsville will have another cheese factory, parties from abroad having contracted to put in an extensive establishment of its kind.                                         


Jesse Lowe has commenced work on the foundation of a residence, opposite the “Blue Range”.  This will make three residences that have been put up in that locality since the building season opened.


(The Jesse Lowe brick house is on Grand Avenue, fourth house south of W. 4th Street intersection, west side. D.Z.)



The first and regular train on the Neillsville Branch of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railway line passed over the road last Tuesday morning, since which regular timed trips have been made. The morning train leaves the depot at this end of the line at 6:15 a.m. arriving at Merrillan in time to connect with the up-train on the main line, and will return here immediately after the departure of that train, arriving here at 8:30 a.m.  The evening branch train over this branch starts at 6:10 p.m. making connections at Merrillan with trains going east and south, arriving back at 8:25 p.m.


Neillsville’s First Railroad Depot was located on the west side of Black River, which was the turn-around of the 1881 railway line coming from Merrillan.

*The above photo was not originally part of this article.  It was submitted by the family of Peggy L. Walter and was taken from a postcard booklet titled, "Souvenir Letter", Neillsville, Wis.



Later, the rail line was extended to cross the river enabling the train to go through Neillsville and on to Marshfield.  A new depot station was built along the tracks near 8th Street and west of Grand Avenue.  The above photo was taken circa 1910.




The first of this week, Mr. Joseph Morley was admitted as a partner in the law-business carried on by Mr. James O’Neill, Jr., at this place.  The title of the firm is O’Neill & Morley.  Mr. O’Neill is known to be one of the prominent attorneys of the state, and Mr. Morley has just graduated from the law class of the State University, but he has had years of experience as a clerk in the office in which he is now a partner and will prove a valuable assistant in the extensive practice built up by Mr. O’Neill.                                                                                                



It is the middle of July and farmers have commenced cutting winter wheat.  The quality is said to be excellent, and the yield good.  Some fields are estimated at 30 bushels per acre and will probably fall true to that estimate.



Probably the finest bus team in use in the state is the one being used on the city omnibus here. The team used is a pair of Norman stallions, weighing about 3,800 pounds and they are valued at $1,000.



A party of frog-hunters from here who were to have gone to Merrillan last Tuesday morning to ply their vocation in that locality, failed to get there.                                                                          



Rev. J. E. Webster, of here, has earned the distinction of being a fighting preacher by joining the hunt for the William brothers in the Eau Gulla woods.                                                          



S. Z. Smith, of Humbird, has bought and shipped over 2,000 bushels of blue berries at the Humbird station during the present season.                                                                                                



D. Hammel Co. has brought in another carload of horses the latter part of last week. The horses are now on sale at their stables on the corner of Main and Third Streets.   They are prepared to furnish anyone desiring a horse for any purpose.



The work on the foundation of the new school building at Greenwood is progressing.  The material for the building is being got out of Mr. Bradshaw’s shop here, and when he begins to put it together the building will soon be ready for the plasterers.                                                                                               



A turntable was brought up on the train last Tuesday and is being put in at this end of the railroad line.  When that job is completed, better time will be made on the run from Merrillan to here and without being in danger of going into the ditch.



Mr. Metcalf, of this village, will suitably reward any person, who may be instrumental in procuring the return to his possession of a small spotted pig of the genuine mail persuasion, which wandered from his care and keeping, the latter part of last week.                                                                                                  



A soap vender was run in last Monday morning by Sheriff Philpott for a little sharp practice, but was afterwards released upon refunding money he was charged with having obtained by his little game.  It is doubtless a duty the authorities should perform to look after that class of characters, but it is a question whether or not the parties who will be swindled by such skin games as the “box-trick,” or the “soap-game,” do not need a little attention from the same source.


July 1941


Somewhere in the Bible it says that a horse is a vain thing for safety, but Darrel Hohenstein, 10, has gone this saying one better.  He has found that a heifer calf is a vain thing for safety.


Darrel tried riding a heifer calf last Thursday, perching himself upon the animal.  It is now recorded that the heifer hadn’t objected so much, but a nearby cow took exceptions to what was evidently regarded as unsuitable conduct. So the cow bunted the boy and the heifer, and Darrel fell from his perch. He landed on his right arm, breaking it below the elbow.  He was hurried to Neillsville, where the fracture was reduced.  It was a simple break, and will not bother Darrel much, but he will know hereafter what to do about riding on a calf.                                         



The annual Professional Men’s golf tournament will be held Saturday, July 12, at the Neillsville Country Club, it was announced this week by Dr. M. C. Rosekrans, general chairman.  The tournament this year has been expanded to include lawyers, as well as dentist and physicians. “Flag, oasis and northeast angle shots” will be featured, Dr. Rosekrans said; and the climax of the tournament will be a dinner with steaks prepared over a genuine apple-wood fire by a southpaw chef, i.e. William A. Campman. The tournament is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.



Approximately 130 students, including 12 beginners, are enrolled in summer instrumental music classes and band work, Richard A. Becker, high school band instructor, revealed this week. 



The Town of York is going to grade the road from the Horace Vandeberg corner to the Art Diercks farm. This means that all the farmers along that stretch of road will have to move their fences and the electric poles must be moved. The farmers with fences to be moved are: H. Vandeberg, John Passow, Forrest Calway, Roy Lawrence, Nyle Benedict, Archie Dorn and Art Diercks.      




One of Emil Schoenfeld’s horses boasts a tin insole. This horse was so lame last Thursday that it couldn’t walk, so Mr. Schoenfeld went to Neillsville and got blacksmith, Frank Ruddock.  Mr. Ruddock removed a stone from the sore foot; then he covered the hoof with a piece of tin cut to fit; and fastened the horse’s shoe over the tin.  The insole worked; the horse is walking better.                                                                                           




Marvin and Warren Hemp of Neillsville were awarded fourth place in the national model airplane meet, held in Chicago over the July 4th holiday, with their radio controlled model airplane.  They were awarded a trophy and $25.


It is the third time in as many years that Neillsville entries in the radio condoled event had received national awards; and the flight of the Hemp plane was witnessed by the two other youths who had made their mark in the event. They were Phillip Sonheim and Roger Thomson.


A second entry from Neillsville was that of Dwayne Dahnert in the national model airplane event.



There’s Something New at the Neillsville Dairy!  Try their new tantalizing and temptingly delicious ice cream treats!  Perfect for family and party desserts; Red Raspberry Wave, and Cherry Krunch & Peach.




Gambles Store Specials!


Cold Pac 7-qt. Canner 79’; Innerspring Mattress $12.95; Seat covers for all cars, $2.49 and up; A. E. Russell, owner




The ground work for building a farm shop at the Granton School in 1942 was formulated Monday night at one of the busiest annual school district meetings there in several weeks.


The district, facing the loss of some agricultural aid through the lack of farm shop facilities, voted to raise by taxation $1,000 this year as a start of building fund for the shop; and it was specified that the shop should be built in 1942.


While this was perhaps the biggest piece of business transacted, evidence points to the most interesting question in whether the school’s present water supply should be discontinued in favor of supply from the new village system.  Only after tempestuous debate did the 58 qualified voters of the district decide to change to the village system.




The return of harness racing to the Clark County Fair is being planned this year by fair officials, according to Secretary Harold Huckstead. 


The harness races are planned for Sunday, August 17th, the second day of the fair. The work of conditioning the half-mile track has already been started.  It will be the first harness racing seen on the local fairground oval track in more than 10 years.                                                                                                       



Stolid fishermen around Loyal were making some bitter observations this week.


One was that no one has the effrontery to present Mrs. A. P. Hable with a can of sardines when her husband goes fishing.


Another was that unless someone can catch a Muskie longer than 46 inches, the wind would never leave the sails of the good Dr. Hable.


It all started some time ago when the doctor told the boys the right way to fish for Muskie.  He laid it on pretty thick; so when he returned time and again after fruitless hours of fishing this season, the stolid fishermen of Loyal took pity on him and on Mrs. Hable.  They presented them with a can of sardines.    


But last Friday the doctor turned the tables. Fishing in Black River, near the site of the old Greenwood Dam, he hooked a 46 inch Muskie, and when he returned to Loyal with that catch a gigantic gust of wind had filled his depleted sails.        




Friday Mr. Frank Kubat finished moving his household goods to Neillsville where he has rented a house.  Items such as this mean little to town and city persons, but to one, who, like Mr. Kubat has lived in the same home for 40 years, it means a complete change in living experience.  It means tearing away from the farm where he has toiled so long and given his best years.


Mr. Kubat, who was born December 3, 1864, in the judicial circuit of Tabor, Czechoslovakia, came to this country with his parents in May, 1870, just a month before the beginning of the Franco-Prussian War.  In fact, had they waited one more month, they would have had to remain in the old country for the duration.


Landing in Baltimore, they went on to Chicago, and later to West Bend, Wisconsin, where Mr. Kubat grew up and attended both public and parochial school.  In 1883, the Kubat family came to Clark County, making the trip from the old depot across the Black River to the town of Neillsville in a horse-drawn bus.  The family settled on a timbered tract of 180 acres in the Town of York, the farm now owned by William Uhlman. As a young man, Frank worked at home until of age, later learning the mason trade.  He was married in Chicago April 21, 1901, to Julia Novacek and lived in that city for about a year.  He then returned with his bride to Neillsville and bought the Frank Northup forty, less than a mile from his old home.  He built the barn, shed, and cement block garage, veneered the house with brick and built on porches.  He later bought a 40-acre tract of woodland and pasture about one-fourth mile from his farm.


During these years he worked at his trade of masonry and there is scarcely a farm around here that hasn’t some of his work on it.  He also plied his trade outside his own community.


Mr. Kubat has always been interested in civic affairs and has held every office on the school board of his district, covering 24 years of service to the community.  In his early twenties he served as a supervisor on the York town board.  At that time Horace Chase was the town clerk, Mr. Steinfeldt, chairman and Greenleaf Redmond a member of the board. All these men have been dead for many years but may be remembered by some of the elderly. At present, Mr. Kubat is president of the York Local of the Farmers Union.


Since the death of Mrs. Kubat, which occurred on Thanksgiving Day, 1940, Mr. Kubat has found it increasingly difficult to carry on the work alone.  So he sold his farm and will work at his mason trade whenever possible.  Saturday he left for Kansas City, Missouri where he will meet his brother, Ed, and wife going on a three-weeks trip through Yellowstone Park and Tetons National Forest. Ed Kubat will follow his custom of taking moving pictures, at which he is an expert.


The Happy Corners community in the Town of York is sorry to lose Mr. Kubat as a resident but all join in wishing him the good luck he so well deserves.                                                                




Arnold Henchen, a Town of Weston farmer, didn’t dodge at a ball game Sunday afternoon and received the full impact of a bat upon his right cheek. The flesh was cut, his nose bled and later he was in violent pain.  He was hurried to Neillsville for treatment, but Dr. J. H. Frank gave assurance that no bones were broken.


Mr. Henchen’s difficulty grew out of a violent swat by George Thoma who was at bat in the ball game. The batter hit the ball with both ball and bat going off into space.  Others in the path of the bat were watching and dodged, but Mr. Henchen was looking another way and caught the full impact.


The ball game was part of the picnic of the Globe Lutheran Church, which followed the Children’s Day service. This service marked the close of the summer school, with it confirmation instructions.





© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel