Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

July 20, 2011, Page 14

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

July 1911


A special train will be run up the F. & N. E. railroad on July 4th to accommodate those who want to celebrate the day at Greenwood.  The train will make its regular trip in the forenoon and will leave Fairchild at one o’clock for Greenwood.  It will leave Greenwood going to Owen at 6:30 in the evening and 8:30 back to Fairchild.


The Foster Railroad was developed by N. C. Foster of Fairchild in the late 1800s.  His primary purpose in developing the railroad lines was to bring the harvested logs out of the woods to the saw mills, later expanding railroad services. During his railroad operations he owned a total of 13 railroad locomotives.



Some of the farmers are through with haying in the Town of York.  The cutworms helped them out in great shape. Some don’t have any haying to do this year as their meadows were completely destroyed by the cutworms.


What is it that makes people like to go blueberrying?  Is it the instinct to get back to nature and gather a living out of the woods as our remote ancestors did, or is it the hope of getting something for nothing, a hope that will pull one a long way off of the beaten path of life, if anything will?  I can’t answer the conundrum, but I’ll bet that if John D. Rockefeller lived in Merrillan or Humbird he would clean out an old kerosene barrel and go out in the woods and try to fill it with blueberries.  I never saw anyone who could drive past a patch of blueberries without stopping to pick, no matter what his hurry was nor how valuable was his time.  No one can stand it to see blueberries “waste their fragrance in the desert air.”  It is the sight of them on the vines that holds you up like a highwayman.  The berries are not so alluring when offered for sale in the stores; they don’t look the same; the beautiful blue bloom is rubbed off , aged and wrinkled; the farther down you go in the container to explore, the messier the berries look. I suppose that is why folks like to go into the wood and pick for themselves. You are sure then that the Indians did not pick them and pack them into camp being carried in an old blanket.


The Kruger Verein picnic in Marg’s grove was well attended the Fourth of July and all had a jolly time.


Martin Van Buren Ayers, one of the oldest residents of Clark County died at his home in the Town of Grant July 8, 1911.  He was born in Pennsylvania, Sept. 20, 1834 and came to Neillsville in 1869.  Here he was married to Miss Annie Miller, May 10, 1872 and continued to live in Neillsville until 1876 when they moved out on their farm in the Town of Grant.  In 1885 they returned to the city, staying here until they once again returned to the farm, remaining there until his death.  He was a man of the pioneer type; rugged, honest and industrious, and in his way did his full share in the development of this community.


Besides his wife, he leaves three sons; Gustavus R., Lambert, and Joy V. and one daughter, Mrs. August Roder.  The funeral was held at the home, with Rev. W. T. Hendren of Greenwood, an old time friend of the deceased, who preached the funeral service.                                                                                


J. L. Walk, the genial letter carrier on Route 1, Neillsville, has fine new auto-cycle, and it is a hummer!


Richard Welsh, rural letter carrier on Route 2, has a new auto-cycle, which will speed him up on his rounds.


Wm. Rath, secretary of the Levis Creamery Association on Route 2, Neillsville, writes under date of July 3:


“Our factory is running with 43 patrons and is receiving up to 5,500 pounds of milk a day.  Wm. Schradter is using the rake and is putting out a good quality of cheese.  If you don’t know him, I will say he is the smallest cheesemaker around.  He is 4 ft. 8 in. tall.  We had to build a racetrack on the floor for him, so he can look into the 8,000 lb. vat.”


Philip Jung, the head of the Jung Brewing Co., died in Milwaukee June 10, leaving an estate valued at $5,000,000, all made a nickel at a time.                                                                                       


Beginning Monday, all automobile owners hereafter must pay an annual license fee of $5 and motorcycle owners $2.  The new law made other important changes in that the revenues from licenses are diverted from the state treasury and distributed into local treasuries throughout the state in proportion to the number of machines registered in such communities.                                                                                              


The Stout Institute at Menomonie has been turned over to the state, the legislature passing a bill to accept the gift.  This is one of the best institutions of learning in the world, and with the state to back it, should continue to do great work.


The stone expert men are here and have begun to lay the front of the Cornelius stone building.


The stone arch this side of the Hoesly hill is nearly finished.  H. Hawks and Louie Goldamer are doing the work.


Notes from 1911 Neillsville City Records:

Mar. 24: Provide $75 to city band for public amusement during the year.


July 28: Drunk driving declared illegal in Neillsville.


Aug. 25: Committee reports on building dam across O’Neill Creek at Hewett Street.


Sept. 8: Council votes $700 for O’Neill Creek Dam.


July 1951


Twenty seven local and area men will be included in the group leaving Owen on Sunday, July 8, for 15 days of training at Camp McCoy.


The group, Company C of the 385th tank battalion of the 85th infantry division is commanded by Capt. Mike Krultz, Jr., of Neillsville.


Other officers of the company are Lt. Donald Bersell, Chili; Lt. La Verne Gaier, Neillsville, and Lt. Myron Kramer, Thorp.


Visiting with the William Wilsmann’s for a few days was Ronald Killinger of Ashland.  Killinger is a soldier buddy of Bob Wilsmann, stationed at Camp McCoy.  Killinger’s father was a friend of Bob’s father in the First World War.  The two boys met at camp and became friends before discovering the coincidence.


The Town of Beaver land purchase by the Loertschers heads the list of recent county real estate transfers.


Wilfred Loertscher and his wife, Margaret of Taylor County have figured in one of the larger farm deals of recent record.  They have acquired the Ed Jankowski property in section 9, Town of Beaver.  The consideration was about $14,000.   The property consists of 160 acres.


Record has been made in the office of Henry Rahn, register of deeds, of the sale of the south 56 feet of the lot occupied by the Neillsville Bottling works on Fourth Street, Neillsville.  This is the portion used by the beer distribution business of John Swenson recently sold to Francis Laatch. The building upon it is new, having been built of concrete blocks after the fire of two years or so ago. The consideration was about $2,500.  The title goes to Mr. Laatch.


The August Witts have sold an eighty in Section 7, of the Town of Sherman to Alvin R. Haslow and his wife, Ida as joint tenants.  The consideration was about $6,500.


Gerald F. Neuenfeldt has bought from Hannah Kokaly 160 acres in Sections 10 and 15 of the Town of Hendren.  The consideration was about $7,500.


Lester H. Volz and his wife, Rose Marie has sold their property on Fourth Street, Neillsville to Arnold E. Huth and his wife Frances as joint tenants.  The consideration was $2,700.  This is the property long occupied as a residence and place of business by Jake Cohen, junk dealer.                                                          


Block numbering will go ahead this summer in Neillsville.  This was the decision Tuesday evening at the City Council meeting.  The green light was given when the Badger State Telephone Company informed the council that a new directory will be issued in November and that street numbers will be inserted in it, if they are then available.


This notice gave occasion to revive the numbering project, which has been lying dormant. The project involves the re-numbering of all dwellings and business places in the city.               


“One of the quietest Fourth of Julys we have had in years,” was the comment of police chief Lawrence Drescher. Sharing the opinion was Frank Dobes, the county sheriff.


Traffic officer Harry Frantz said there was little traffic on the highways and what there was came in “spurts”


The one big event of the day was the annual fireworks display at the Neillsville Country Club, which followed a chicken dinner served to over 100 people at the club.  The fireworks were free with William Whaley and Elmer Georgas in charge of firing them. About $50 was allotted from the club’s treasury to pay for the fireworks.  Almost 200 cars were parked along highway 10 and in the city park with people watching the displays.  City police had to be summoned to handle the traffic. The fireworks show started at 9:15 and finished at 10 p.m.                 


Clark County Marriage Licenses:


Jean Zingsheim of Fairchild, and Robert Kutchera, Town of Mentor, to be married in the Town of Mentor on July 14


Milton John Knack, Clintonville, and Joan Elizabeth Meyer, Waupaca County, to be married at Loyal, July 14


Elin Dahl, Town of York and Irene Keuer, Town of Lynn, to be married at Granton, August 4


John Urban, Jr., Town of Washburn, Ione Fae Stevens, Town of Washburn, to be married at Neillsville, August 11


Kenneth Degenhardt, Loyal, Lois Smith, Milwaukee, to be married at Milwaukee, August 4


Edward Sloniker, Loyal, Bonnie Updyke, Town of Hendren, to be married at Willard, July 25


Charles Barr of Neillsville caught a 46-inch, 30 pound Muskie in Moose Lake near Hayward recently.  He caught the fish while on a vacation fishing trip.  He used surface bait.  His son, Tom, 12, accompanied him.


The Neillsville Country Club’s tough little golf course has never seen the thrill of a hole-in-one, to our knowledge. But it had the next thing to it last Wednesday afternoon.  A Medford golfer stroked his second shot on the 400 yard fourth hole, a par four, into the cup. For most golfers that is the toughest hole to par on the course.


(In recent years, whether it is due to more golfers, finer conditioned greens or better clubs and irons, there is an average of there to five hole-in-ones made each golf season on either the #5 or #7 green, which have the shorter yardage at the Neillsville Country Club course. As for the fourth hole being the toughest to score on, I think all nine holes each present their challenges. D. Z.)                                                                                    


White Magic is the name of the Bendix showing to be held at the Northern States Power Co. office in Neillsville, Friday.  Drop in at your convenience during the day.  A free gift, valued at $1.00, will be given to each person who visits the office to see the Bendix White Magic.                                                           


Local persons are accustomed to seeing the name of Gil on signs down Hatfield way, and many do not know what the name really is. The answer is that this particular name is Gilden, but that the two brothers go by other names entirely.  The full family name is Gildenzopf.  As the three boys came along, their friends didn’t bother with all of it.  Of the three only one retained the whole name, and that is Ralph, who lives at Madison. The other two have changed their name legally.  The one at Hatfield is Herman R. Gilden, by court decree. The third, Carl, a yeoman in the navy, located at San Diego, had his name legally changed to Gill.   Their mother, also located at Hatfield, uses the full family name.


The Clark County Jail is empty as of Wednesday, July 25.  On that morning the two remaining prisoners went their ways. A man of Thorp finally raised the $447 necessary to square him on his payments under the divorce decree.  He shook the dust of the jail from his feet, and went his own way.  To get the money, he had sold his home in Thorp, a down payment having been made Tuesday evening.


A less pleasant departure was that of a marine, who had been picked up AWOL.  He was sent for, and departed in close relation to military police.  He was not a local man.                               


The private Utility Industry will observe Rural Electrification Week starting August 25.  According to industry spokesmen it marks the completion of Rural Electrification in America.


The Clark Electric Cooperative has just released a statement in regard to the completion of its area coverage.  According to Manager Dallman, the co-op has brought electrical service to 95 percent of the rural dwellings in its area.


Since the REA-financed co-op was organized in 1937, 1,400 miles of power lines have been built, which now serve 4,700 rural consumer-members, he said.  But, he pointed out, 200 farm families are still waiting to be connected to the co-op’s power lines as materials and power supply permit.


Manager Dallman notes that his system has seen the average monthly kilowatt-hour demand increase from 40 kwh to 233 kwh per consumer in the past 14 years.  He predicts that 28 miles of line will have to be rebuilt.  One additional substation will have to be built and much equipment installed in the near future to accommodate increasing demand for electricity.  However, he warned that power supply will be the greatest problem to solve, with materials and manpower next in importance.                                                                                                     


Gluck’s Family Shoe Store’s Anniversary Sale!  Men & Boys’ Dress Oxfords, $4.98 to $6.95 pr; Women’s Novelties with High heels, Cuban heels and Flatties $2.98 - $3.98; Saddle Oxfords $3.98; Tennis shoes for everyone in the family – Reinforced Duck Uppers with rubber toe caps $1.98 to $2.98 per pair.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel