Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

June 29, 2011, Page 10

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

June 1906


Gilbert Johnson has purchased an automobile, which was received the first of the week.  It is a fine Mitchell machine; twelve horsepower, gasoline motive powered, two passenger seats, and is a “Jim Dandy.”


H. A. Bright’s creamery at his Clark County farm will be in charge of Henry Randle, a former resident of North Bend and later of Sechlerville. Mr. Randle taught school in Jackson County for many years, afterwards engaged in creamery management and for a number of years operated the first creamery built in Jackson County, that of Sechler and Van Gorden, at Sechlerville.  He went from there to a large creamery in Minneapolis and for more than 20 years has resided in Minnesota.  His many friends in Jackson County will be glad to know that he is again located within hailing distance.


There has been a number of deaths among the old Winnebagos around Black River Falls recently, including: Four Eyes, aged 86, and his wife, Looking Glass, aged 85; Mrs. WeHunkah, Aged 87; and Hester Two Crow, aged 96.


A new steel water tower for the Wisconsin Central Railroad Company, at Owen has been completed.  The standpipe is 80 feet high and has a capacity of 185,000 gallons.  It will be used jointly for fire protection by the Owen Lumber Co. and the village of Owen.                                                                                             


Charles Sturdevant will be home from West Point, N. Y., Friday, for a vacation visit.  He left for the military academy two years ago and a report has it that he has stood high in his classes.  From our knowledge of the young man, we feel assured that Wisconsin has in him a most worthy representative in the war school of Uncle Sam.  He is only allowed by regulations to come home once in two years.                                                             


A dance was held at Embke’s of Sydney, Saturday evening and was well attended.


John Kronberger of York Center had an experience last Friday that he will not soon forget.  As he was hauling a large load of logs to the mill on a wagon, the load slipped ahead, frightening the team of horses.  The team then ran away, other than breaking the wagon to pieces no damage was done.                          


Last Sunday, a concert was given at the Lynn Park by the Sternitzky Band. Everyone there enjoyed a jolly good time.


Mrs. Fryslie has sold out her restaurant to Sherman Gress, who is now in possession.  He expects to make several improvements and his mother will soon come here to help him, so that it will be a good restaurant.  Mrs. Fryslie has gone to Phillips, where she also has a restaurant.                                             


The city crew has lately been laying a good deal of new water mains.  Some 400 feet have been laid on the south end of Grand Avenue and mains were put in on Grand Avenue from Fifth to Ninth Street.  Next mains will be laid on Ninth Street from Hewett to the east side of town.


June 1956


Shop A & P Food Store for Low Prices: Longhorn Cheese 45’ lb. Cantaloupe, Jumbo, 29’; Lemons, 39’ per dozen; Kool Aid, 10 pkgs. 39’.                                                                                            


Nearly 1/3 of a million trees were planted in Clark County last month, according to Stanley W. Ihlenfeldt, county agent.


Of them, 191,947 trees were planted by the Clark County Forestry Department on forest cropland; 85,600 were planted on privately owned lands; 10,000 were planted in the Thorp municipal forest; while 9,500 trees were planted in the four registered high school forests.


A total of 39,376 trees were distributed through eight chapters of the Future Farmers of America, while 9,200 trees were distributed to 4-H club members carrying forestry projects.  These trees were also planted on privately owned land.


Mrs. Ana Kleckner was installed for her second term as president of the American Legion Auxiliary at the regular meeting and installation ceremonies in the Memorial Hall here Monday night.


Other officers installed were: Mrs. John Swenson, vice president; Mrs. Ruth Smukal, second vice president; Mrs. Martin Hauge, Chaplain; Mrs. Myrtle Mattson, secretary; Mrs. Greta Vollmert, treasurer; Miss Vin Wildish, historian; Susie Schultz and Emily Pischer, sergeant-at-arms.


The auxiliary presented the American Legion with a gift of $300.   


Herbert Jaster, formerly of Neillsville, has received a call as assistant pastor to the First Evangelical Lutheran Church of La Crosse.  During the past year, he has taught at the Winnebago Lutheran Academy at Fond du Lac.


Dennis Meier, three-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Meier, Jr. of 200 Oak Street , was back riding his tricycle Monday evening 24 hours after a 15-tumble out a second story window to the ground.


He has a swollen, bruised and a bruised face, a sore tummy; but outside of that he was fine, and so were his spirits.  But his aunt, Annette Meier of the Town of Levis, who was left in charge of the Meier’s two small children, was slower to recovering from the shock induced by the incident.


Dennis, who had been confined with measles, heard the voice outside of his cousin, Lanette Karnitz, who lives in the lower apartment of the house.  In his pajamas and ready for bed, Dennis went to the south window and pressed against the screen in an effort to see her.  The screen gave way under the pressure and tumbled to the ground, with Dennis following. 


He apparently landed on the right side of his face on the earth, his head just missing by inches a concrete sidewalk.


He was removed to Memorial Hospital where x-ray revealed no broken bones, and was kept there the following day for observation.                                                                                                                               


The final hurdle to street construction projects this year in Neillsville, Greenwood and Thorp was cleared last week with approval of a $394,359.98 contract by Gov. Walter J. Kohler.


The projects are the Hewett Street highway in downtown Neillsville, the Elm Street project in Greenwood, and the Washington Street project in the city of Thorp.  


The contract went to the Universal Engineering Company of Medford, which has 160 days in which to complete the work.                                  


Miss Clara Hein, 75, last member of the John Hein family, died Friday in a hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla.  The body was brought to Neillsville for burial, with the Bergemann Funeral Home in charge of arrangements. A rosary service was held Tuesday evening and funeral services were conducted Wednesday from St., Mary’s Catholic Church.  Burial was made in St. Mary’s Cemetery.


The John Hein family came as early residents of Neillsville.  Mr. Hein and his sons were engaged in lumbering and some manufacturing of wood products.  Heintown is named for the family, which at one time operated a saw mill there.


In Neillsville, Mr. Hein had a general store in a building located on the lot where the Northern States transformer now stands, just north of O’Neill Creek on Hewett Street. Mr. Hein built the house now the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Prochazka and his family, lived there until they moved to Tony, where there was more timber for their saw mill.  The house was built according to plans made by Mrs. Hein.


About 25 years ago, Mr. Hein and his daughters, Clara and Frances, moved to St. Petersburg.  Clara had been in poor health for several years, suffering from a heart ailment. Recently she had been cared for in a hospital.  She is survived by several nieces and nephews.


(Present owners of the Hein house are Richard and Kathy Quast. D. Z.)



Sgt. Charlotte Ayers of Neillsville, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Ayers and now a Marine, was the honored speaker at the celebration of Flag Day in Baltimore.  She is now stationed at Fort McHenry near Baltimore.


Sgt. Ayers had been frequently impressed with the East, possessing the early shrines of American patriotism; tend to forget that other Americans had some share in patriotic contribution and honor.


Sgt. Ayers had evidence of her own emphasizing the patriotic part played by her own grand uncle, Bernard J. Cigrand.  This relative was the originator of Flag Day.  He made the suggestion, which led to the first proclamation of Flag Day by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916.  Mr. Cigrand was a brother of Charlotte’s great grandmother, the late Mrs. Mary Korman of Neillsville.


Sgt. Ayers told her story to her own commanding officer.  He introduced her to an editor in Baltimore, who in turn introduced her to the commander of the Baltimore Post of the American Legion, which had charge of the celebration of Flag Day in Baltimore.  Thus Charlotte presently found herself the principal speaker for the celebration.  Her subject was “What Flag Day Means to me.”


Mr. Cigrand, originator of Flag Day, frequently visited his sister in Neillsville.  His home was in Waubeka, Wisconsin.  Upon his death in 1932, his fellow citizens erected at Waubeka a monument to his memory, designating him as the Father of National Flag Day.                                                                                                                                                


June is the month that marks the one-hundredth anniversary of the arrival of the first settlers in the Town of Grant.  Out of the four families coming here at that time and settling on tracts of land in the northeastern part of the town, only one farm has remained in the same family all of these 100 years.


Eli Williams, brother of George Williams, was 15 years old when he came here and helped his brother develop farms out of the dense stand of pine.  After serving in the Civil War, he returned home and was married to Anna Crevec Cure, a local girl, on January 3, 1883, and engaged in farming. He served as a member of the district school board and was village post-master at the time of his death. 


The farm is occupied and managed, by his three daughters, Misses Eleanor and Alfreda Williams and Mrs. Norma Williams VandeBerg.  With the help of day laborers during haying and harvest, the ladies care for their herd of milking cows, keep a large garden, have chickens and a flower garden.


The others who came here at the same time were John D. Wage and family and Levi Marsh from Pennsylvania.


Descendents of the Wage family living here are Mrs. F. E. Winn and Miss Gladys Wage, Neillsville.  Of the Marsh family are Mrs. Rella Osgood and brother, Roy Wright, Granton, and Mrs. Joseph Zimmerman, Neillsville.  Other descendents of the George Williams family are Gilbert Coyle and Mrs. Myrtle Chapel, Granton.


Mr. and Mrs. Harry Babcock were making a drive Sunday through this area and stopped in Columbia, where his father’s family once lived.  Their stop was to buy some strawberries at a place where they saw pickers in the patch.  Mr. Babcock was surprised to find that the berries belonged to an old friend, William Sollberger. So an old friendship was renewed and a pleasant bit of reminiscence ensued. A hill one-fourth mile south of Columbia bears the name “Babcock Hill” and is named for his family.  Mr. Babcock left here in 1908 and lives at Plover, where he operates a cabinet shop.


David Steiner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Steiner, is home after serving four years in the navy.  He had a rating of 2/c petty officer in the Seabees, a branch of the navy.  Part of his four years was spent in Japan and the Philippines.  He plans to go to school next fall.                                                                        


For Good Food try Susie’s Cafι at 135 West Fifth Street in Neillsville.  Now Open for Business & operated by Susie Schultz.                                                                                                                                                


An open house was planned for Wednesday, June 27, at our Savior’s Lutheran Church parlors in Greenwood beginning at 2:30 p.m. to celebrate the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Olson of Greenwood.


Work has been started on the new IGA Supermarket at the corner of Grand Avenue and Fifth Street. Excavation for the foundation walls reveals the position of the building, and something of the layout.


The United States Flag


John Cabot raised the first flag, with the banners of England and St. Mark, in the United States in 1497.  Gradually, each and every territory flew its own flag, and by 1707, each colony had its own unique flag, similar to the state flags of today.


The first flag to represent all of the colonies was flown on Prospect hill in Boston at the Battle of Bunker Hill. The “Grand Union” flag contained the red cross of St. George and the white cross of St. Andrew combined in the blue canton, as well as 13 alternating red and white horizontal stripes.


In 1777, the continental Congress adopted the following resolution: “Resolved: that the flag of the United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; the Union be thirteen stars, white on a blue field, representing a new constellation.” Francis Hopkinson, designer of the naval flag, claimed to have designed this flag, although some believe that Betsy Ross made the first Stars and Stripes. William Driver, a sea captain, is said to have created the nickname, “Old Glory.”


Two stripes and two stars were added in 1794 to represent the new states of Vermont and Kentucky, and it is at this time that the nickname “The Star-Spangled Banner” was used.  In 1818, Congress voted to keep the number of stripes at 13, but to add a star to the field for each new state that was admitted.


The 50 star flag of the U. S. was officially raised for the first time on July 4, 1960 at Fort McHenry National Monument in Baltimore, MD.


The first shot of the Civil War was heard at Fort Sumter on Jan. 9, 1861.  Gottlieb Carl Schlinsog of Granton enlisted as a member of Company I of the 14th regiment of Wisconsin Volunteers on Nov. 7, 1861, at Black River Falls, led by Capt. Johnson.  That company was mustered into the military service of the United States on Jan. 30, 1862.  The following April 7th, Gottlieb died as their unit advanced against Confederate battery of soldiers on an Eastern Corinth Road. (Photo courtesy of the Schlinsog family collection)




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel