Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

May 25, 2011 Page 14

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

May 1906


In this past winter’s logging season, the largest load of hardwood logs to be recorded in this section of the country was scaled at 13,200 feet and weighed about 60 tons.  The sled-load of logs was hauled by four horses a distance of nine miles over an iced road from R. Connor Company’s camp No. 6 to their mill at Stratford.  Jacob Smith of Marshfield was the driver.                                                                                                            


The prospects for Neillsville having a baseball team are OK. The season will be opened at an early date.  New grounds have been secured at Hewett’s field, which is near the city and will make a fine diamond. Work on the field has begun and will be finished when the weather permits playing.


Everything points to the same old enthusiasm for baseball in Neillsville for 1906 and promises to be a record breaker.


Jesse Lowe departed Tuesday for England.  He goes via Canada, thence down to St. Lawrence River to New York City and sails on the 10th.                                                                                     


Dwyer & Wolff have bought out the meat market heretofore run by McIntyre & Betz in the old Tom Lowe stand. They took possession last Friday. The shop they have been running on Sixth Street has been closed and hereafter they will have only one market.


Dwyer & Wolff are good businessmen and this change will be for the better all around. They supply choicest meats to be had and will run a market that all of us can be proud of.                     


Victor C. Woelffer has installed a F. P. gasoline lighting plant in his drug store and it now looms up at night like the light of day.                                                                                                   


Nice large carnations for Decoration Day at only 50’ per dozen.  Leave orders early. Also large thrifty plants now ready, tomatoes, cabbage, and others at William Dux Greenhouse south of the High School.


Andrew Braun has sold his saloon on Hewett street to August Storm, who has been running a place at the corner of Seventh and Grand Avenue. He will take possession July 1st.


Mr. Braun came here four years ago from Loyal, where his son Aloius Joe Braun, is still running a hotel and bar.  The elder Braun started at Loyal when there was nothing but brush and stumps in the streets up there.  He will now retire from the business.


Barney Gehrman has rented the place where Storm has been located and will take hold there soon.


R. T. Boullion has sold his “Pallace” buffet to Wallace Waldock of Holcombe, who is now clerking there and will take possession July 1st.                                                                                   


Twenty-five townships, comprising 622,080 acres in the vicinity of Culbertson, Montana have recently been opened to filing by the government. Some of these townships lie along the great Northern Railway and others lie along the Big Muddy River.  Only the best townships out of a vast area 50 miles square were surveyed.  Much of this land is in Paradise Valley contiguous to the Great Northern Railway, along the Missouri River and in the Big Muddy Valley, but is fine rolling prairie or table land back from the river.  This land is situated within from 10 to 30 miles of the Dakota and Montana state line, Culbertson being only 30 miles from Buford, N. D.


Farm to be let on shares, with cows, close to cheese factory; Leaser must have a good team of horses and some farm machinery.  Apply at once to M. C. Ring.                                                    


June, the month of roses and the month of weddings, is but a short ways off, now, and it is indicated that the number of marriages occurring in Clark County will be fully up to standard of former years, if not in excess of it.  Local dressmakers are busy in preparation for a number of events and jewelers say they can see that June is well on the way.


W. H. Kubat, buttermaker for the Farmer’s Cooperative Creamery Company in Humbird, has purchased a creamery located within a short distance of his home north of Neillsville. He expects to take possession the first of June. Mr. Kubat will have his brother, Ed as a partner in the business and they will make butter at pound rates for the patrons.  Mr. Kubat has been with the creamery there in its beginning.                                            


R. T. Boullion and son Glen spent last Thursday in Merrillan on a fishing expedition.  They caught some 40 fine trout out toward Humbird.  Young Glen fell in the river, but was brave and didn’t mind the soaking.  Surely he will make a fine fisherman.                                                                                           


“Toodles,” the little house dog belonging to Mrs. Sniteman, died Sunday.  He was a cunning little poodle and had become known to everybody.                                                                        


W. M. Rowe with his force of carpenters finished the house of I. Fulwiler Tuesday in York Center.  Their next job is a barn for M. Reiche at Romadka.                                                                         


Max Opelt will give a picnic in his park at Lynn next Sunday.  There will be dancing, afternoon and evening in his new bowery.  Everybody is invited!


May 1946


Harry F. Wilsmann, former owner to the Merchants Hotel, Neillsville, has been interred at Two Rivers, Wis.  He died at his home there April 26.


Mr. Wilsmann came to Neillsville in 1921, purchased the Merchants Hotel and operated it until he sold it in 1928.  He then moved to Two Rivers.  He returned to Neillsville later, again operating the hotel until about a year ago.  Since then he has lived at Two Rivers.


Harry F. Wilsmann was born October 22, 1862, at Crisline, O., to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Wilsmann.  He received his education, and spent most of his life in Manitowoc County. On April 17, 1884, he was married at Mishicot, Wis., to Elizabeth Schmidt, who survives.  They were the parents of seven children.


Besides his children (wife), he is survived by three daughters: Mrs. Margaret Westphal, Mrs. Esther Streubel and Mrs. Alma Johannes, all of Two Rivers; two sons, August, Two Rivers, and William, Neillsville. There are 17 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.  Two sons, Louis and Henry, preceded him in death.


The C. C. Sniteman Co. one of the oldest business firms in Neillsville, has passed into the hands of David Parry.


Mr. Parry has purchased the stock held by the estate of the late George Sontag, adding it to the controlling interest he purchased from the Sniteman estate a few years ago and that which he previously held.


Mr. Parry came to Neillsville in 1923 as an employee of the Sniteman Company, and is well known throughout the area.  He plans to remodel the store as soon as material and labor are available.


Children of Clark County to the number of 481 will graduate from the eighth grade this year, announcement made by Eugene W. Laurent, county superintendent of schools, whose office has completed the annual examinations.


Graduation exercises will take place next week at two centers, the Neillsville Armory on Wednesday, May 22, and the auditorium of the Withee High School on Thursday, May 23.  The exercises will begin at 10 a.m. each day.  The graduation exercises at Neillsville will be delivered by Donald E. Peters, superintendent of the Neillsville Public Schools and that at Withee by Arnold Wickland, principal of the Loyal School.


The exercises at Neillsville will be attended by the schools in the following places: Foster, Hendren, Eaton, Sherman, Loyal, Seif, Weston, York, Fremont, Mentor, Dewhurst, Hewett, Levis, Pine Valley, Grant, Lynn, Washburn and Sherwood.                


The exercises at Withee will be attended by the schools located in the townships of: Thorp, Withee, Hixon, Hoard, Mayville, Colby, Green Grove, Longwood, Reseburg, Worden, Butler, Mead, Warner, Beaver and Unity.


Miss Ruth Edna Kuenkel, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Kuenkel, and Tony Ulesich, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Ulesich of Willard, were married at 3 p.m. Saturday, May 11, at the parsonage of the Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church at Globe.  The Rev. Adolph Schumann officiated with the double ring ceremony.


The bride wore a street length dress of light blue sheer wool with white accessories, and a corsage of pink and cream roses.  Miss Irene Kuenkel, the bride’s sister, as bridesmaid, and Wm. Celar was best man.


The couple will live on the farm of the bridegroom’s father at Willard.


Dances at the Silver Dome Ballroom:


Thurs. May 16 – “Whoopee John,” Adm. 62’, plus 13’ tax

Sat. May 18 – “Benny Graham & His Band,” Adm. 62’, plus 13’tax

Thurs. May 23 – “Lawrence Duchow & His Red Ravens Band,” Adm. 62’, plus 13’tax


Dance at the Stables Nite Club.  Every Saturday Night – Music by Louie & Art Nemitz.


The entire business of manufacturing natural cheese in Clark County is undergoing a change, which is almost revolutionary in character.  While in some instances the old situations will be restored by exercise of options or by the expiration of leases, it is altogether unlikely that the industry will return to anything like its old status.  Some of these deals, if not the greater part of them, will stick, and the cheese factory, with its vast importance in the marketing of milk in Clark County, will have moved importantly toward centralization and control by the larger interests. Whatever the long range implications, the present picture is one of urgent competition, with determination to protect sources of supply, and with a strong bid for local milk.


It is certain that the recent more important changes have been brought about directly and inevitably by the policies of OPA.  That government organization has fixed definite ceilings for cheese and butter, but has not set corresponding controls upon competitive use of milk and cream.  It is these uncontrolled competitive uses of milk and cream, which have driven up the prices beyond the reach of the small cheesemaker.  That price control in the dairy industry is forcing the little fellow out of business. In the state of Wisconsin, as of Wednesday, April 24, about 400 cheese factories remained in their old ownership, while 1,000 of them had passed into strong hands.  The change is proceeding with great rapidity, for the little fellow cannot stand the gaff.  Within a few months the old style cheese factory, as a family operation, will have passed out of the picture in Wisconsin.


The following Clark County cheese factories have been closed and are no longer in operation:


East Worden Dairy, owned by Rudolph Bachman, six miles south of Thorp, consideration of his health, sold to Blue Moon.


Theodore Braun, Braun Settlement Cheese Factory, located nine miles northwest of Greenwood, now closed; Mr. Braun continues to operate his farm, upon which the factory is located.


Otto C. Hiller’s Clover Belt Factory, two miles south of Thorp; sold to Blue Moon and closed.


Alfred Holt‘s Heintown Factory, six miles southwest of Loyal, has been sold to Herbert Uttech and closed.


Edward Huber’s factory, 2 ½ miles from Spencer; closed and quit; milk goes to Dairy Belt.


Christian J. Clay’s Oak Grove Factory, five miles southwest of Withee; is closed and quit.


Francis M. Knop’s Woodland View Factory, 15 miles southwest of Greenwood; had an auction and closed the factory.


Alfred Laabs Otter Creek Factory, 2 ½ miles northeast of Stanley, closed several years ago.


Lombard Dairy Co., 7 miles northeast of Thorp; closed two or three years ago.


Lombard Dairy Co., 3 Ό miles northeast of Thorp; closed, but is reported to have been sold to Broeren & Decker, with the prospect of re-opening.


Ernst Looser Junction factory, 5 miles northeast of Thorp, which closed 2 years ago.


Steve Losiewicz, White Eagle Dairy; sold to Blue Moon and closed.


Bruno Nurmi; Sun Shine Valley Factory, has been closed for a few years.


Pleasant Ridge Creamery Co.; 4 miles southeast of Neillsville, factory has been closed for sometime.


Walter Reber; North Star Factory, 3 miles west of Granton; closed as an independent operation, but Mr. Reber maintains the patronage and continues the business at his nearby East Pleasant Ridge Cheese Factory.


(The East Pleasant Ridge Factory was located along the road that now enters the Neillsville Airport property. D. Z.)


Jesse J. Speiles, Beaver Factory, 5 miles northeast of Loyal; closed up without a sale.


Mike Teclaw; Clark County Cheese Factory, 5 miles northwest of Thorp, is closed.


Theodore Wessel; West Eaton Factory, 4 miles southwest of Greenwood, sold to Harry Schlinsog; Schlinsog sold to Dairy Belt; The West Eaton Factory is now a tavern.


John Paul Wry; South Worden Dairy, 9 miles  southeast of Stanley; sold to Leo Biel, who ceased operating and closed it.


(As of May 1946, the 20 Clark County cheese or butter factories listed above had been sold or were no longer in operation.  There were 67 remaining factories, not listed, that had undergone changes in ownership, organization or conversion arrangement. D.Z.)                                                                                     


Neillsville’s V.F.W. baseball team will open its Cloverbelt league season here Sunday and follow with a Memorial Day game on the fairground diamond.


Sunday afternoon Stetsonville will invade Neillsville.  Bob Teeples will be on the mound for the locals, and his 32nd Division mate, Dave Hoard, will be behind the plate for the locals.


Emil Podobnik hurled the Owen city team to a 4 to 0 win over Antigo Sunday in the Clark County team’s debut as a member of the Wisconsin Valley League.  Podobnik went the route, giving up only four hits.  Owen meets Merrill at Owen Sunday.



The above photo is believed to have been the second grade class of 1949-1950 taken on the steps to the entrance of the South Side School in Neillsville. The students left to right starting with the first row: Adele Eihle, Larry Smith, Lola Buddenhagen, Nancy Smith, Tommy Gall, Gloria Vandeberg, Donna Tompkins and Deon Larsen; second row: Martin Kapusta, Karen Harrington, Charles Northup, Allen Cummings, Dennis Brown, Danny Pietenpohl and David Poehnlein; third row: Judith Turner, Roy Strebing, Tommy Cummings, Corrine Schlimme, Cara Jean Chesemore, John Wildish, Orrin (Butch) Wallace and Sue Ann Mallory. (Photo courtesy of Roy Strebing with help in identifying the students by Sue [Mallory] Ewing and Dave Poehnlein)







© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel