Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

February 10, 2010, Page 18

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

January 1875


Horace M. Weston is doing an extensive business in flour and feed at his storerooms, located one and one-half miles north of Neillsville.  Mr. Weston has the reputation of being a competent and reliable businessman and is deserving of a fair share of patronage.  


Wells & Brothers Loyal stage line now makes connections at either end of the line with stages connecting with trains on the Central Wisconsin at Unity and with the West Wisconsin railroad at Humbird, making this the cheapest and best route of travel.


Until the first of this week we were not aware that Clark County had a boarder.  But it appears that ornament we call a jail has been occupied for several weeks past. A man named Kelly is the individual upon whom the authorities have imposed a restraining influence of the law.  His crime was covetousness and the article coveted was an overcoat belonging to James Christie.  It first attracted his attention in the washroom of the O’Neill House while the owner was at dinner.  Kelly and the overcoat left in company.  Kelly returned a few weeks ago minus the coat but having in his possession a pair of mittens, which were in the pockets of the coat when taken.  Aside from this fact, it was well-known that he was the offender and he was sent up to jail for sixty days.  He is an old sinner, having served one term in state prison.   


Lumbermen have been made glad during the past week by an increase in snow.  There is hardly enough yet to make good hauling but it will enable them to do something towards a winter’s work.


The A. F. & A. M.’s of this village gave a dance and supper after the installation of the officers of the Lodge last Thursday evening.


Eyerly & Breed are doing a flourishing business at the Planing Mill.  At present they are engaged in manufacturing milk safes for Potts & Myers. At the rate they are putting them out they will either be on some other job soon, or that firm will have an enormous supply of milk safes, which has become so necessary to the convenience and happiness of every well regulated family.  They also have a contract for building several hundred fanning mills for the same parties, after which they will return to the manufacture of Sash and Doors.


The stave mill business in the same building, but operated by other parties, is also turning out considerable work.


The Ordinance of the Lord’s Supper will be administered by the Presbyterian Church Sabbath morning, Jan. 24th.


Lumbermen complain of the weather.  They say it is so infernal cold that the snow is about as good as sand for sledding purposes. The cold has finally let up and will soon be forgotten except for those who carry a perpetual reminder in the shape of a frost bitten nose.


During last week we had the pleasure of meeting James Barber, of Black River Falls, on the streets of Neillsville.  Mr. Barber was once a resident of Clark County, but at that time it was an almost unexplored wilderness.  It had been over twenty years since he had visited Neillsville and it is not surprising that he failed to recognize any old landmarks.


Mr. Barber, in company with his wife, had been spending a few days with their daughter at Loyal, Mrs. J. C. Gwinn and expresses himself well pleased with that part of our county.  He added his opinion, from careful observation, to that of all who have ever examined into its natural advantages, that Clark County is one of the richest counties in the State and that it will one day lead them all in agriculture.


 The Honorable Richard Dewhurst left for Madison yesterday preparatory to entering upon the duties of his office at the opening of the State Legislature on January 13th.


Under the skillful management of Mr. Montgomery the upper rooms in the school building are fast nearing completion and a better job could not have been done.  The people of Neillsville are under lasting obligation to the builder for the thorough manner in which all work on the building has been done.



Neillsville’s public school system was inaugurated about 1856, with a building located somewhere on Eighth Street, between Hewett Street and Grand Avenue.  A modern Neillsville School system, which included a high school, appeared with eh construction of a brick building completed in 1875, which housed all grades, to comply with the State Free High School Law in 1878.  The school building was built for the cost of $7,000 on land purchased in 1868 from James O’Neill for a cost of $200 and was located on the corner of East Fourth and State Streets. After a new high school building was constructed on the East Fourth and Court Street corner in 1905, the 1875 building was referred to as the “Old Southside Grade School.” Both buildings were in use through the middle of the 20th century.


The Headquarters store, opposite the O’Neill House and owned by Geo. C. Farnham, is having a Grand Closing Out sale, which will run for the next 60 days!


Flannels have been reduced to Half Price; Cloths, Jeans, Feather Ticks, Denims are marked down.  Prints are selling at from 8 to 10’ per yard.


Grain bags at 30’ each; Silver Gray blankets from $2.50 to $4 per pair.


No Humbug, Cash Sales!


February 1950


The coldest weather of the winter season thus far clamped its frigid fingers on the area during the last week.


A record low of -39 degrees was set Monday January 30th, according to government records at the Indian School farm. Four readings out of seven gave minimums of below -30 during that period of time.


The broad snow-covered slopes of Bruce Mound ski area rang with shouts and laughter Saturday afternoon as upwards of 200 boys and girls, all scouts, enjoyed an outing there at the invitation of the Neillsville Boy Scouts.


What a wide and empty space at noon was turned into a rollicking, frolicking clatter and chatter about 2 o’clock.  Then teenager youngsters piled from cars and started turning the broad ski slope into a churning mass of fun.


The sun which had risen as though just for this occasion; warmed the air from the chilly sub-zero temperatures of the night before to pleasant melting temperatures for the day.  Scouts from Neillsville, Greenwood, Loyal, Merrillan and Colby made the most of it.


They skied and they tobogganed down the big slope.  And some who had brought along those new fangled “round sleds” had the most fun of all.  They were like whirling dervishes as they “buzzed” the downward slope much like landlocked flying saucers.


Mr. and Mrs. Schumacher and two children of Stanley have purchased the Alvin Eisentraut farm and moved there last week.  Mr. and Mrs. Foote, the former owners have moved to Milwaukee.


Ray Millis Garage of Black River Falls has some Used Cars for Sale:


1946 Hudson, 4-door, very clean, only $775.00; 1946 Plymouth, 4-door, a beauty, special $750.00; 1939 Chevrolet, 4-door, fair condition, $395.00 and a 1940 Hudson Convertible, low mileage, has everything, a beauty $2,475.


That the sky is not the limit in Neillsville was learned last Friday by a trucker, Wayne L. Schmidt of Wrightstown, Wis. Mr. Schmidt tried to take a load of baled hay under the trestle on Highway 10 just west of the Indian School, but he came to an abrupt and disconcerting stop.  The difficulty was that his truck was loaded with seven tiers of hay bales, giving him a height of 13 feet and nine inches, whereas the legal height of a load is 12 feet and six inches.


The clearance was absolutely insufficient and Mr. Schmidt’s top tier of hay struck the masonry top of the arch with a blow that stopped everything.  Some of the bales were broken open; others were dislodged.  Telephone wires, which run through the top center of the arch, were broken and dislodged, temporarily interrupted service on the broken lines.


Receiving a report that Highway was littered with hay and bales, Traffic Officer Frantz waited upon the discouraged trucker and found that he was removing what remained of the top tier of hay.  The officer added to the joy of the occasion by escorting him to Mr. Kalsow who assessed a fine and costs of $9.45.  Added to that was $9 as the cost of repairing the telephone troubles.  Also added to the whole thing was the cost of the lost and injured hay bales.  And there was the further trouble that Mr. Schmidt would encounter, similar difficulty, just on the edge of Fairchild, if he tried to follow the main route under the railroad there to Eau Claire, his destination.


The net result of Mr. Schmidt’s experience is that truckers will get along better if they keep their loads at the legal height of 12 feet and six inches.


(Shortly after trains ceased traveling through Neillsville, the trestle that spanned Highway 10 was no longer needed, so it was removed. D. Z.)


At least 20 teams have entered thus far the bowling tournament of the American Legion posts of Clark County, according to word from William Kavanaugh of Greenwood, county commander.


The tournament will be held in Loyal Sunday, February 26.  Several more teams are expected to enter before the deadline, February 19.


Entries received to date include three teams from Neillsville; four each from Thorp, Loyal and Greenwood; two each from Owen and Abbotsford, and one from Dorchester.


Neillsville will become Central Wisconsin’s sports center this weekend when it plays host during the third annual Neillsville basketball tournament. 


Under the sponsorship of the Neillsville city All-Stars team, the tourney will get under way Friday evening with eight strong teams of the area set to participate.  The second round will be played Saturday evening in the armory; the semi-finals Sunday afternoon, and the championship and consolation will be fought out Sunday evening.


Leading the list of strong contenders is the far-famed Unity “Tigers. But there doesn‘t seem to be a “weak sister” among the eight squads and one might as well throw away the dope sheet in trying to pick a winner in advance.


Unity, with Jim Firnstahl, can be counted on to reach the finals, unless they stub their toes on the tough Smith brothers (three lads who team up to make the scoring punch of the tall Humbird team.)


The All-Stars, like their predecessors, hope to be among the finalists; but that is by no means a sure bet this year.  Fairchild and Pittsville, the latter is always a tough tournament competitor.


Following is the roster of teams entered:


Neillsville: Victor Lehman, Coach, and Werner Jenni, manager; Glenn Lazotte, Darwin Graves, Bud Bremer, Henry Lukes, Milton Tock, Ronnie Meihack, Jerry Anderson, Leo Neville, Bitsy Wasserburger and Wally Erickson.


Unity Tigers: Cliff Benning, Coach; Russ Van Sleet, Don Hess, Denny Helixon, Don Lewis, Jim Firnstahl, Morrie Nowitske, Bud Schultz and Leonard Vandehey.


Humbird Merchants: K. E. Lindner, manager; Everett Smith, Charles Smith, Gerald Giloy, Herbert Hahn, Melvin Smith, Norman Meyer, Lynn Dignin, Carl Johnson, Arthur Zerbel and Kenneth Lindner.


Fairchild All-Stars: Henry Johnston, coach; Vincent M. Adams, manager; Loren Benson, Lester Johnston, Leroy Papke, Charles Abrahamson, Charles Miller, Franklyn Johnston, George Darling, Danato DelGrosso and Louis Hanel.


Pittsville Cardinals: Edward Urban, coach; Ronald Ziehu, manager; Warren Kutz, Wayne Jensen, Lewis Brown, Arden Gage, Raymond Newman, Ronnie Zieher, Bill Hatch, Virgil Potts, Jim Urban and Joe Vdjtenich.


Augusta: Clyde Osborn, coach; Jerry Randall, manager; D. Johnson, D. Dickenson, Bill Young, J. Kaufman, A. Anderson, E. Hadorn, S. Young, D. Smith, M. Dickenson and J. Morgan.


Marshfield Country Ballroom: Louis Bauernfeind, coach; Rog Serchen, Bill Borofka, Indian Hein, Ken Heiting, Bud Hein, Roy Hodson, George Sommers, Jack Rudy, Eddie Flash, Borchart.


Stanley Merchants: Philip LaBlanc, coach; Stick Gilberts, manager; Neil Baker, Gib Shilts, Leon Klugiewicz, Bob Peterson, Mel Steivang, Don Simon, Hi Gerry Troyer, Jim Peppee, Clyde Tollefson and Lein Miller.


Forty two refugees have been brought out of Europe by members of the Holy Family Catholic Church of Willard.  Forty of these came during the year of 1949.  Two of them arrived last Saturday.


Gradually, through the past year, the congregation has been persisting in this enterprise, with one group rescued after another, until this impressive total has been built up.  The project adds up to a migration of importance in a parish of the size of that at Willard.


With five exceptions all of these 42 refugees are still in and near the Willard parish. Largely they are on farms, giving such help as they can and learning their way into American life.  In every case they have sponsors, members of this parish who have undertaken to guide and help them in their new life.


All of these refugees are Slovenians.  All of them had made a run for it from the Communism of Jugo Slavia.  Many of them had first found their way into Austria or Italy and had been helped on their way from there.  Practically all of them had undergone hardships in their effort to get away and to find a new home.


This enterprise has been chiefly directed by Father Odilo Hajnsek, pastor of the holy Family Church at Willard.  Himself a Slovenian, intimately acquainted with the tribulations of his fellow Slovenians, he has sought and found sponsors, mostly in his own parish and has arranged for the refugees to come here.


The latest arrivals are two members of the Adrojna family, who join the two other members of that family, under the sponsorship of Mrs. Justina Volarich.  Of that family Mary and Joseph have been for some time in the Willard community with Mrs. Volarich. Two others, Mary and Frank arrived last Saturday.


The sponsors have in each case advance the money for transportation of the refugees from New York to Willard.  This money is returned to them when the refugees are able to repay it.  They undertake, also to provide the refugees a place to live and to give them work.  It is only when such sponsorship has been arranged for that the refugees can be legally brought into the United States.






© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel