Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin
October 20, 2010, Page 20
Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
Ed Markey and Henry Staring have rented the building formerly occupied by Lewis Sontag and are putting it in shape for an oyster shop and billiard saloon this winter. Besides this they will keep apples, nuts and such items. The barbershop is also moved into the same building.
The water in Jack Creek came up to a fair driving stage Tuesday morning. B. F. French succeeded in getting a few logs down the stream, but none passed the creeks mouth.
The present term of school will close next Friday. Mr. Follett, the teacher and later a lawyer at Spencer, informs us that there will be a vacation until Nov. 30 when the winter will begin.
Robert Schofield has just returned from La Crosse. He intends running three logging camps this winter. We are wishing Bob unbounded success logging.
The old George Newcomb home in West Weston is no more. Will Huntley and about 40 men tore down the old house and other buildings around it. One of those buildings torn down was an old shop, which was built for the first schoolhouse in Weston, but was not occupied for school purposes. William Huntley, Sr., one of the early settlers living there, realized that it would be a wiser policy to build a good schoolhouse and pay for it largely with taxes on non-residents land, securing the building of a frame schoolhouse since bricked.
The potato warehouse will be opened Saturday, Oct. 2nd. The season will be short and snappy. The Farmers Cooperative Elevator Company will take in nice white potatoes.
The main street of Neillsville, along with other business blocks, is being thoroughly cleaned and a coating of Pine Valley decomposed granite will be spread on as a pavement.
Bob Bauer still has some exceptionally good overcoats in stock at $6.95. Also at special price, mens extra heavy flannel shirts, in black, blue and gray, 95’ each.
Judge O. W. Schoengarth and his bride arrived home from their western wedding journey Sunday, having seen much of the Pacific coast and other places of interest en route. At nearly every stopping point they met former friends from Neillsville and vicinity.
Matt Wells has bought the Krause house on South Grand Avenue occupied by Mr. and Mrs. G. C. Youmans. Mr. Youmans has bought the Ketchum house from Chas. Stevens on the same street, and is having the house repaired and city water put in.
Mr. Frederick Hillert and Miss Barbara Frei were married Oct. 14 at Mapleworks Lutheran Church near Granton, with Rev. M. Hasz officiating.
The groom is the son of Gottlieb Hillert and the bride is the daughter of George Frei, all of the Town of Grant.
Misses Ida Knoble and Amelia Trimberger were bridesmaids. The groom was attended by his brother, Richard Hillert and the brides brother, George Frei, Jr.
A grand wedding reception was held at the brides home, attended by over 200 people, a bounteous supper being served to all.
The young couple will live at the Gottlieb Hillert farm.
Last Friday Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Lowe took Mrs. Annie Cawley for a ride in their auto, going up into the Town of York. Mrs. Cawley is well up in the 80s and at first was afraid she could not stand the ride. She stood it all right and enjoyed it, and said she would like to go again. Mr. Lowe plans to take her to Greenwood some fine day.
Sunday S. F. Hewett took his aunt, Mrs. Jane Gates, out for an auto ride about our city. Mrs. Gates had not been downtown for ten years and for much of that time has been practically confined in bed, although she sits up and does much handiwork. She greatly enjoyed the ride.
Last week, C. B. Esselman of Loyal sold 24 thoroughbred Holsteins to Wm. Krause at Thorp. They consisted of 16 heifers and eight bulls ranging in age from six months to two years. Mr. Esselman still has 60 head of thoroughbred Holsteins on his farm and is offering some of the younger ones for sale.
There will be an auction, 2 miles north of Greenwood, Thursday, Nov. 4th; 120-acre farm, half cleared, good buildings, and no wasteland, with liberal terms. All machinery, crops and stock including 4 registered Guernsey cows, 2 registered heifers, 1 young bull (Yeska 2 Gleenwood breeding), 7 grade cows, and 7 grade heifers tuberculin tested. Albert Einfeldt, owner and Col. Wm. Krause, Auctioneer.
The Fred Bullard residence on Emery Street has been sold to Ferdinand Hrach. The house was built by Mrs. Bullards father, W. W. Taplin, in 1885, and the Taplins or a member of their family have always resided there, except for period of time between 1910 and 1920 when the house was rented to George Ure in 1910 and 1916 to Charles Hugh.
Christies Husky Gas Station will move to its new location, corner of 7th and West Streets, presently Webb Station. They expect to be open there October 10.
They will be also a dealer in Montgomery-Ward tires, tubes and batteries.
The Bronze Star Medal for heroism has been awarded to Sgt. Donald A. Kunze, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Kunze, who reside at 177 N. Hewett Street, Neillsville.
Sgt. Kunze is with the 311th Infantry regiments medical detachment, 78th Lightning Division, which earned battle stars for its fighting in the Ardennes, Rhineland and Central European campaigns.
His citation, in part, reads: When intense enemy machine gun fire raked the platoon, causing several casualties and forcing a temporary halt, in which Technician Fourth Grade Kunze was serving as aid man, he crawled forward without hesitation and with complete unconcern or his own safety he advanced close to the enemy fire to treat casualties, among the leading elements of the platoon. His inspiring courage and exemplary loyalty to his fellow soldiers are in accordance with the highest military traditions.
The Bronze Star Medal has been awarded to Pfc. Claude (Turk) Wilson of Owen. The citation states:
Pvt. Wilson courageously exposed himself to intense hostile fire in order to help a wounded comrade. Seriously wounded himself while making this brave attempt, Private Wilsons action was an inspiration to all who witnessed it.
The action referred to took place in the Philippines. Pfc. Wilson is now home in Owen. He will return October 6 to Galesburg General Hospital for treatment on his wounded arm.
The Drive is Now On!
Men Wanted, Needed in all Departments!! Women Wanted!! Ages 18 to 40. A work shift is available with light, pleasant work.
Roddis has vital war work, which must be done NOW! Good working conditions, Time and a half over time. All the work you want. Paid Vacations!
If you are from out of the city, we will help you find living quarters.
Roddis Lumber & Veneer Company
Apply U. S. Employment Office, City Hall at Marshfield, Thurs, Fri, and Sat.
As Tomoyuki Yamashita, Japanese general, faces his fate at Manilla, he will look into the eye of a son of Neillsville, Maj. Gen. Clarence L. Sturdevant, who is one of the five American generals sitting in judgment. This Neillsville boy is no easy mark and Yamashita will have to face the music.
Gen. Sturdevant is definitely a Neillsville product. He is the son of the late Lafayette K. Sturdevant, who made his mark in the law, and in Wisconsin politics, finally becoming attorney general of the State. The Neillsville family home was the present Judge Crosby residence.
Clarence went to the local public schools. When he was a junior in high school, he dropped out of the regular studies and specialized on the subjects needed for entrance at West Point. He was then pointing toward the army career, in which he had made a marked success. He later married Beth Youmans, a Neillsville girl.
In the early phases of World War II, Clarence L. Sturdevant was an assistant to the chief of engineers, U. S. Army. In that capacity he was responsible for the construction of the Alcan Highway through Canada into Alaska. After the completion of that road he was assigned to duties in the Pacific. Not many months ago he wrote from a distant spot to his old friend and classmate, George Zimmerman of Neillsville. He seems to have had responsibility on New Guinea and then on to the Philippines.
New dispatches now place Gen. Sturdevant in Manila. Before him and four other generals, Yamashita is fighting for his life. The charge against the Tiger of Malaya is that he unlawfully disregarded and failed to discharge his duty as commander to control the operations of members of his command, permitting them to commit brutal atrocities and other high crimes against the people of the United States, and of its allies and dependencies.
Gen. Sturdevant is sitting as a member of the court. In that capacity he is judge and jury. He will have his say as to whether Yamashita is guilty or not guilty, whether he shall live or die.
Experiences of DeWayne P. Nehs, on naval duty in Japanese waters, are described in letters written by him to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. V. W. Nehs of Neillsville. He tells of hungry prisoners of war and how much they eat; of going through a typhoon; of profiteering by the Japanese. DeWayne Nehs is a lieutenant, Junior Grade, and is on the ship Kitkun Bay. His letter of September 16 follows:
At last we are on our way to Tokyo! Quite a lot of things have happened since I last wrote to you. We spent several days at anchor in Ominato Harbor on the Northern tip of Honshu Island. Then we suddenly received orders to go to Hakodate, Hokkaido Island, pick up some Allied prisoners of war, and take them to Tokyo.
Soon as we came into Hakodate the Japanese officials came out to the ship bowing and scrapping because we were the first enemy ships there. All the arrangements were made and that night several hundred POW were brought aboard. They are fellows of every nationality and from all over the world. Some of them had been defenders of Wake Island and Bataan, and others had been marines in China service or merchant seamen caught over here at the beginning of the war. They were a sorry looking lot. But we are fattening them up, giving them all new clothes and furnishing them with spending money. You should have seen those fellows when they received the new shoes and clothes. First they looked at them carefully for quite a while, then they felt of the material and finally they put them on. And do they ever go for the ice cream! They had nothing to eat at their camp except rice and a seaweed soup three times a day. This rich food of ours makes them sick now, but they will get used to it. I sat beside one of them for breakfast this morning and here is what he ate: Two bowls of chilled canned pears, a large order of hot cakes, an order of toast, bacon and fried eggs, another double order of toast, more coffee, and then back to some more pears!
The Christie 4-H Club held a wiener roast on Sunday, October 14, near Wildcat Mound. There were 18 young people in attendance. The only misfortune at the picnic occurred to a porcupine. The boys teased Mr. Porcupine with sticks until he became annoyed and shot his quills, which the girls took home for souvenirs.
Here is something new! A new refrigerator is on display! You havent seen a new refrigerator since Hirohito went berserk. Now here you are a real refrigerator, and a Hotpoint at that! Come in and take a look at Clark Electric Service, 137 Hewett Street.
Two former pastors of Zion Lutheran Church at Granton will occupy their former pulpit on the 40th anniversary of the dedication of the church Sunday, Oct. 28.
The Rev. J. F. Gericke, during whose pastorate was when the church was built, will be guest speaker for the German service at 10:30 a.m. Pastor Gericke has been living in retirement at Minneapolis, Minn., for the past six years.
The Rev. S. Rathke, pastor of Zion from 1909 to 1912, now serving a congregation at Cameron, Wis., will preach in the afternoon service. This service will be conducted in the English language and will begin at 2:30 p.m.
For the evening service, also in English, the Rev. William Kohn of Merrill, Wis. district president will preach at 8 p.m.
Rev. William A. Lauterbach is the present pastor.
The city of Neillsville is now in possession of the former August Holtz place, consisting of just a little less than eight acres, located east of the cemetery. This was purchased from the county for $1,160. The land will be used as an addition to the cemetery, and as a source of loam, sand and shale.
S/Sgt. Wendell C. Landberg of the famous Bloody Bucket Division, was given a discharge of Camp Maxey, Texas Oct. 5. He arrived home Saturday. He entered service in March 1942 and fought in Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes and the Rhineland. S/Sgt. Landberg wears the European theatre ribbon with four bronze stars, Good Conduct Medal and Purple Heart for wounds received near Percy, France, August 4, 1944. Wendell is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Landberg of Greenwood.
The problems of reconstruction will be at the front today (Thursday) as cheesemakers and buttermakers of Central Wisconsin gather in Neillsville for their annual convention. They are faced with many questions growing out of the war.
Ray Strebing and his wife, Frances, owned and operated Rays South Side Food Mart and Texaco Station located at 111 East Division Street in the 1940s. (Photo courtesy of Roy Strebings family collection)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs