Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

July 22, 2009, Page 18

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

July 1919


Paulson’s garage will give a Dance on the evening of July 4th with good music. They assure that it will be a good time for all! Be there. Don’t miss it!


Miss Julia Slocomb and Percy Vincent were united in marriage on Wednesday evening when the ceremony took place at the bride’s home in the Town of Beaver. The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Slocomb and is a most estimable young lady. The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Vincent and one of the Town of York’s most progressive farmers.  The couple left for a week’s wedding rip to Waukesha and other points, and are now at their home on the Vincent farm in York.


There was a dance last Saturday night at Herman Schultz’s, which was held in their new kitchen.  It goes without saying a good time was had by all who were there.


The Wagner Motor Company, Distributors of Buick and Oakland Cars, of Neillsville have a new Oakland Sensible Six automobile at the price of $1,075.


The Fordson tractor is the one tractor that is adopted for use on both large and small farms.  The Fordson has three forward speeds: low, one and one-half miles per hour; intermediate or plowing speed, three miles per hour; and high, six miles per hour; and reverse.  Over 45,000 Fordsons are now in use.  Stop in and see Peter Paulson who has the sub-agency for the Fordson and has one tractor on display.


Judge Schoengarth tells of the visit to his office, last week, of John Audorf of Willard.  Mr. Audorf is 100 years of age, yet he walks without a cane, reads and writes without glasses and is as spry and chipper as a man of 60. He was here on legal business.


As the result of a new law enacted by the legislature, every rural school in Wood County not named must be give a name within a short time, either by the electors or the school board of the district.


The law provides that at the annual school meeting on July 7, electors of each school shall select a name for the school.  In case the electors fail to select a name and also a second choice, the duty shall devolve upon the school board within ten days after the annual meting.  The school clerk must then notify the county superintendent of the first and second choice names and also the post office address within five days.


There will be a preaching at the Schwamb schoolhouse, in Tioga, Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock.


C. E. Blodgett, the Marshfield capitalist, has announced that the wholesale grocery business in that city, which he has conducted for several years past, will cease.  The building will be utilized for the cheese and egg business he has built up around the central part of the state.  He expects to spend the coming winter in California, leaving the management of the cheese business to his son, Guy E. Blodgett.


Only a short distance from the village of Spencer is a large marsh, which at this season of the year is covered with blueberries.  Hundreds of people go there to gather the berries.  The marsh in years gone by was no doubt a lake but with the forests gone, the water supply is growing less each year.        



By recent act of legislature the speed limit of automobiles on country highways was raised from 25 to 30 miles an hour.  Another law was passed, which requires drivers of cars to carry headlights, which will enable the driver to distinguish objects 200 feet ahead at night.  The lights must be of such character to avoid dangerous glare or dazzle.


For Sale: an 8-acre park and bowery, also grain and four warehouses. J. L. Keller, Lynn, Wis.


Licensed to Marry:

Henry Zschernitz of the Town of Pine Valley and Bertha Cowles of Neillsville; John A. Barth and Elsie M. Krause of Thorp; Carl E. Jens of Plymouth and Edna Sternitzky of the Town of Lynn.


There will be a six o’clock supper at the Congregational Church Thursday, July 31st, price 35’.  The menu: Creamed New Potatoes, Salmon Loaf, Hard Boiled Eggs, Cucumber & Celery Salad, White & Brown Bread, Beet Pickles, Ice Cream, Cake and Coffee.

July 1959


The closing of the cheese factory at Kurth Corners, Town of Grant last weekend brought to an end an industry, which had successfully operated for 75 years. During the peak of production, the factory served more than 60 families of the towns of Grant and Washburn, making American, Italian and Swiss cheese.


Since 1953, Craig Asplin operated the factory assisted by Walter Grottke, Lloyd Rogers and Clarence Henchen in the plant, and Darrell Hohenstein and Donald Mohr as milk haulers. Due to a break down in health, Mr. Asplin closed the factory last weekend.  He and his wife went to Madison, where he entered Wisconsin General Hospital.


The supply of fluid milk had not especially been affected by the advent of bulk milk factories. The output of 35 neighboring dairy herds; were brought daily to Asplin’s factory. With the closing of the factory at Kurth Corners, some patrons are now sending their milk to Walter Schmidt’s factory, to the east; some to Mullen’s and York Dairy, in the Granton area: and some to the Neillsville Products Cooperative, Neillsville.


Verne Howard reported to The Press that milk from his farm and that of his father, George Howard, was sent to the Kurth Corner Factory for 55 years.  Milk from the Fred Vine, James Hughes and other pioneer farms was delivered there for many, many years.

Kurth Corners Cheese Factory


Kurth Corners Cheese Factory was located on Pray Road, a short distance south of Hwy. 10.  In 1959, after 75 years of serving farmers in the surrounding area, the cheese factory was closed.  (The above 1908 photo is courtesy of Charlotte Hubing Jacob)


The Community Drive-in Theatre on Hwy 73 at Christie will show Fire Works on July 4th.


Sunday, Monday & Tuesday evenings, back by popular demand will be the Academy Award Winning Movie, “From Here to Eternity,” featuring: Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Deborah Kerr, Frank Sinatra and Donna Reed.


Three new houses are under construction in Loyal: Fred Cox, Jr. and Herman Schaefus are building homes and Mr. Larson is building on his land, the town’s west side.


A diamond anniversary celebration is being planned for August 23, by St. John’s Lutheran Church at Fairchild, according to word from its pastor, Rev. Edward G. Collins.


Plans are being made for a festival service in the morning with Rev. Fred Proehl of Milwaukee as the guest preacher. St. John’s Church was founded in 1884 by the father of Rev. Proehl.


A second festival service is planned to the afternoon, with Rev. R. Bosenau of Minneapolis, Minn., as the guest-preacher.  Rev. Mr. Bosenau is the only member of a layman’s family from St. Paul’s Church who has entered the ministry of the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod.


Dance July 11 at the Stables Night Club with music by David Hoppa & His Orchestra.


Neuman’s, the Home of Fine Food at Loyal, is closed from July 9th until August 11th.


The Stables Night Club baseball team defeated the Willard team Sunday, by score of 18 to 4.  Eddie Henchen was the winning pitcher.


Approximately $200 in prizes will be offered by the Neillsville Sportsmen’s Club in their carp-fishing contest at Lake Arbutus Sunday.  The contest will be headquartered at Russell Memorial Park, but fishing may be done on any part of Lake Arbutus.  Prizes include one for the largest carp caught, and second largest catch as well as the most caught.  The contest will open at 10 a.m., closing at 4 p.m.


Mr. and Mrs. Roy Sitzman of Marshfield announce the purchase of the property on West 5th Street owned by Mr. and Mrs. Claude Ayers, directly west of the Otto Warren residence.   


Two men, who attended the Ukrainian Technical University at Regensburg, Germany, 12 years ago, were united when Michael Siryj arrived last weekend at the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Olishkewych for a week’s visit in the Town of Grant.


Mr. Siryj, a construction designer, is now drafting plans for modernization of the harbor at New Orleans, La., a project, which will cost several million dollars.


Mr. Olishkewych states that he and Mr. Siryj were born in the Ukraine and escaped from behind the Iron Curtain to get their college education in Germany. Mr. Siryj came to America in 1950 and Mr. Olishkewych in 1951.  Both located in Chicago and George was one of the first Ukrainian families to locate in Clark County.  He speaks English fluently and also has knowledge of several other languages.


The Eddy family, which originated at Black River Falls, held its annual picnic Sunday at Bruce Mound Park.  Attending were Mr. and Mrs. Jack Eddy and children of Beloit; Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Eddy of Duluth, Minn.; Mrs. Lula Eddy of Black River Falls; Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Eddy and children of Washburn; Mr. and Mrs. Roy Eddy, Jr., and children and Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Eddy and children of Levis.


Mr. and Mrs. Henry Freestone have sold their 159-acre farm in southeast Town of Grant to Mr. and Mrs. Jansen of Nebraska.  They plan to give possession August 1.  The Jansen family includes two sons and two daughters.


Rudolph Opelt reports the purchase of the former Herman Albrecht farm in the Town of Hewett.


The farm is located one-half mile east of the Silver Dome Ballroom, with 120 acres on the south side of the highway and 80 acres on the north.  The house and 10 acres of land, located on the north side of the road have beer resold to Mr. and Mrs. Julius Martens.  They will have 300 feet of land fronting Highway 10.  Mr. and Mrs. Charles Marvin and children are the present occupants of their residence.  Including his present farm Mr. Opelt will have 270 acres of farmland.


Mrs. James Horswill and Mrs. Wayne W. Trimberger were hostesses July 28 at a bridal shower for Miss Linda Suchow at the Trimberger home on West Division Street. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Suckow of the Town of Grant.  She will teach in the Greenwood United School District during the coming year.


Sixteen young people of the Veefkind Community Church accompanied by Rev. and Mrs. Warren Henderson spent the weekend camping at the Boy Scout Camp at Hatfield.  Darlene Ploman, student nurse at Winnebago hospital, also joined the group.


Mr. and Mrs. Walter Pennow are now settled in the former Ray Strebing residence on Division Street and have possession of the former Ray Strebing grocery.  Mr. and Mrs. Pennow came from Milwaukee where he was employed in a factory.


Mrs. Pennow is the former Phoebe Patterson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Patterson of Humbird. She attended Houghtonburg Rural School, located between Humbird and Alma Center, for eight years and was graduated from Lincoln High School at Alma Center in 1955.


A sum of $2,500 was voted for the school district at the joint Kurth and Reed School district in a meeting held at the Kurth School Monday evening. The board was authorized to have a new roof placed on the Kurth School building.


Consolidation came up for discussion and it was decided to put off any action by the district for another year.  Other members of the board include Mrs. Dale Short, clerk, and Calvin Gerhardt, treasurer.


In its first two years in Neillsville, Calvary Lutheran congregation reported a growth of 238 members representing 73 families.  In the last two Sundays, 44 persons representing 12 families were taken into membership. Rev. Idar Tanner is the pastor.


Fifty-eight percent of the territory in Clark County and 71.84 percent of the total valuation is included in high school districts as a result of school consolidations ordered this year.


This was a summary report made by Leonard Morley, county superintendent of schools.  Of 11 consolidations ordered during the last school year, most of which become effective this month, seven consolidations were made by county school committee action and four by municipal board action, Mr. Morley reported.


The effect of several orders was to place whole townships completely within high school districts.  Included among these are the towns of Washburn, Lynn, Mentor, Foster, Eaton, Sherwood and Colby.


Districts that have been completely dissolved and attached to districts maintaining high schools during the last year are:


Dist. No. 2 Town of Fremont (East Fremont) to Marshfield.


Dist. No. 8 Town of Fremont (Cozy Corner) to Granton and Loyal.


Dist. No. 2 Town of Grant (Roder) to Granton.


Dist. Nos. 2 and 4 Town of Lynn (Maple Grove and Poplar Grove) to Granton and Marshfield.


Dist. No. 1 and 3, Town of Lynn (Sunbeam and Mayflower) to Granton


Dist. No. Joint 1, Towns of Washburn, Levis and Sherwood (Washburn) to Neillsville


Dist. No. Joint 2, Towns of Weston and Eaton (Mound) to Neillsville


Dist. No. Jt. 2, Towns of Worden, Reseburg and Thorp (Pioneer) to Thorp


Dist. No. 3, Town of York (Merryvale) to Granton





© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel