Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin
June 4, 2008, Page 17
Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Compiled and contributed by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
Mrs. Dux, who lives on State Street in Ketel Hollow, has a large amount of strong tomato, cabbage and cauliflower plants, which she will sell cheap.
Jesse Lowe went down into Jackson County trout fishing Saturday, making a fair catch, which he distributed around town among several invalids who are unable to catch fish for themselves.
Nearly 1,100 pounds of butter have been manufactured by the two creameries in this village and flush season is still to come. Two cheese factories, one in Weston and the other in Reseburg townships, made about 7,000 pounds of cheese during that time. That beats saw mill days.
The Gress Cafι Soda Fountain was put into commission last Saturday and the business enjoyed a fine patronage. Each patron received a carnation as a souvenir.
Next Sunday, there will be a picnic and Childrens Day exercises at the Lutheran Church, near Wm. Beyers, northwest of Neillsville. Dinner will be served to visitors at reasonable prices. There will be good music by the Beyer Band.
The school year ended last Friday with the Second District, the Lindow School and Chili School holding a picnic together, which was enjoyed by all the children. There was also a ball game made up by nine from each school. The Chili School won by 26 to 5.
James Paulus is preparing to remodel the interior of the Omaha Hotel, put in a furnace and furnish it throughout with new and up-to-date hotel furniture. He will take charge of the hotel himself after July 1st. Mr. Wingenter will be taking over the Wasserburger boarding house at that time.
Rev. Waage, pastor of the Scandinavian Lutheran Church on the North Side has rented Mrs. A. C. Pitchers house and moved his family here. He will preach at Marshfield also.
The Merry Widow suit is the newest creation in mens wearing apparel. This suit of clothes consists of trousers and coat and it is made in the latest fashion as to general appearance. The material used in the manufacture is the best grade of pepper and salt denim and has wearing qualities equal to the best cloth. The suit looks natty in appearance. It may be worn on any and all occasions, since it is not an overall.
The Merry Widow Suit is being manufactured by the Neillsville Overall Manufacturing Company. It will be on sale at the stores of all enterprising merchants in Clark and surrounding counties within a few days.
The price asked for the entire suit is $2, no more, no less. When very large size suits are wanted, they will be made to order at a small additional expense. Suits have to be obtained through the merchants in your locality. If they do not keep them on sale, or if they do not care to add a supply of them to their stock, write to the undersigned and they will send you a Merry Widow Suit, charges pre-paid, upon receipt of $2. Neillsville Overall Manufacturing Co. Neillsville, Wis.
Mr. Earl Zerkie and Miss Alice Ring were married at the home of the brides parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. C. Ring, Wednesday forenoon at 9:30 oclock, June 22, 1908. Rev. W. P. Burrows officiated. The wedding was of the quiet order, only the relatives and a few friends of the parties being present. After a wedding breakfast, the bride and groom took the 11:33 train for the lake region of Northern Wisconsin to spend a few weeks, after which they will be at home in Chicago.
The groom is a successful young traveling man who has been employed for the past four years by the same firm, which speaks well for his business ability and integrity. He is a man of pleasing manner and fine appearance and has made a most excellent impression upon all who have met him here.
The bride was born and brought up in Neillsville, educated in the city schools and at the Hillside School for girls and Milwaukee-Downer College. Her vivacious temperament wins friends for her wherever she may be. Her friends here extend to her their hopes for her joy and happiness and to the groom offer their congratulations.
Wm. Swann, who lives south of the brick church on the Pleasant Ridge road, was badly hurt when he fell with a ladder while working on Herman Braatzs barn. He fell about fifteen feet which resulted in one of his ribs being broken from his spine. At present, he is reported doing well.
Deferred on account of illness last March, the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Naedler and a family reunion were celebrated Sunday at the home of their youngest son, Hilbert, living near the home farm.
Mr. and Mrs. Naedler were married at Jefferson, Wis., March 31st, 1888 and lived on a small farm there for a time. In the fall of 1900 they came to the Town of Pine Valley and purchased the Hilyer farm of 60 acres, adding 55 acres the following spring by purchasing a portion of the old Clark farm. Mr. Naedler served his township as chairman for several years.
Here, Mr. and Mrs. Naedler worked in harmony throughout the yeas, building for themselves a happy home and an excellent farm, which they still operate. They raised a family of five children: Henry J. Naedler, Neillsville; Mrs. A. C. Haack, Wauwatosa; E. A. Naedler, St. Paul; Wm, Jr., near Granton, and Hilbert, who resides on the old Bandelow farm, all of whom are a credit to their parents and were present for the celebration.
Others who were here from out of town included Mr. Naedlers sisters and brother, John F. Naedler, Helenville; Mrs. Albert Doering and her husband, Waterloo, and Mrs. P. Anderson, Janesville, two sisters being unable to come, and many nieces and nephews.
Dinner and supper were served and the entire day, including the weather was perfect.
The ground in Clark County is well soaked with moisture for the first time in half a dozen years. Farmers digging post holes report they have found the moisture reaching down to a depth of four to six feet.
Homer M. Root, for over sixty years a prominent figure in the business and official life of Clark County, passed away at the Owen Hospital Sunday. His death is like the passing of a landmark. Mr. Root lacked less than a month of being 93 years of age, having been born in Guilford, New York, June 22, 1845.
Engaging in the lumbering business on the Black River in 1869, he established headquarters at Greenwood and from 1874 to 1885 he and B. F. Thompson, in partnership, logged 55,000,000 feet of pine. For 19 years he followed the logging business, during which time he developed a farm near Greenwood and for ten years served as town clerk of Eaton.
In 1888, Mr. Root opened a private bank in Neillsville, which later became the nucleus of the Commercial State Bank of Neillsville, with Mr. Root serving as cashier until 1916, when he became president. Perhaps no other man was so widely sought after for advice on financial and business affairs in Clark County, for many years, as Mr. Root.
Not only was Mr. Root a keen businessman, but he did a great deal of reading and in his home had a fine library. A garden with many beautiful flowers also was one of his joys for many years. In his home community, he always took a keen interest and for eleven consecutive years served on the Clark County Board from Neillsville.
Mr. Root was married in 1891, to Mrs. Mary J. Huntzicker, who preceded him in death.
In recent years, before his health began to fail, Mr. Root had made his home at the Merchants Hotel in this city, where many of the pioneers enjoyed visiting with him. Of rugged constitution, Mr. Root hardly ever wore an overcoat even in the coldest weather and it was not until a few months ago that his health began to fail, when already in his 93rd year, as he delighted to remark regarding his age. Before leaving for the hospital at Owen, he called on his old friends in Neillsville to bid them all goodbye.
It is with deep regret that both young and old friends note the passing of a pioneer whose life encompassed almost the entire history and development of Clark County. It was in1844, only one year before Mr. Root was born, that the first loggers came to Neillsville. In the development of the county, Mr. Root was an important figure.
Funeral services were held at the Lowe Funeral Home at 2 p.m., June 1, the Rev. G. W. Longenecker officiating. The body was taken to St. Paul for cremation, following which the ashes will be deposited in the cemetery at Greenwood.
Over 800 people visited the new Wagner Restaurant Sunday, in connection with which there is a tap-room separate from the restaurant part. The total sales rung up on the cash registers was $847, and the number of people served with meals was above 200.
Mabies Barber Shop will operate at the present location on Seventh Street until the former Wagner restaurant location has been remodeled for barbershop purposes.
(That location would have been at 626 Hewett Street, now vacant.)
William Hrasky, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. B. Hrasky of Granton, RFD 3, and Miss Margaret Ruddock were united in marriage at Sunset Point at 5 oclock p.m. May 25, Rev. G. W. Longenecker performing the ceremony.
They were attended by Anton Rizner, of Chicago, a friend, and Miss Francis Ruddock, Neillsville, sister of the bride.
The groom was a graduate of Neillsville High School with the class of 1925. He is employed by the American Stores Dairy Company as a truck driver. His bride was graduated from the Training Department of Neillsville High School in 1924 and has since followed the teaching profession, in which field she has been most successful.
The couple will make their home on South Court Street, in Neillsville.
A wedding supper was served followed by a dance at the Silver Dome ballroom.
Robert Ziessler, in charge of construction for the J. C. Penney Co., was here with Contractor G. Mabie of Fond du Lac, Monday and asked W. J. Marsh to vacate the store building by July 9, when a crew of men would be here to start alterations, as the store would open about August 4.
Thirty-five foreign-born residents were granted citizenship at a naturalization hearing held by Judge E. W. Crosby and C. R. Berg, U. S. naturalization examiner, in circuit court last week. Applications of four other residents will be continued until next year by Mr. Berg who conducted the examinations.
Of the immigrant groups, there were 17 Polish, six Germans, two Swiss, two Yugoslavians, two Finlanders, one each Hollander, Czechoslovak, Hungarian, Swede, Lithuanian, and Serb-Croat Slovene. The youngest was 25 and the oldest was 80. Many of the applicants in the Thorp and Withee communities attended a WPA sponsored Americanism class during recent months to prepare for the tests. Following the exams, a festival was held in Thorp to celebrate the citizenship.
The Woodward Store, in this city, this week announces a sale to close out all the stock on hand. Bills were mailed out and a large ad calls attention to the event. The store closed Monday and Tuesday of this week to prepare for the sale.
Will Crow has been manager of the store here the past nine years, having succeeded Ralph Kelley, who came here in September 1928. Mr. Crow has made many friends here who will regret seeing him, and his family leave after the close of the sale.
All arrangements have been practically completed for the big two-day celebration in Neillsville Sunday and Monday, July 3 and 4th, the executive committee reports. Entries are still coming in for the big parade, featured by artistic floats and a number of home and visiting bands taking part. Chairman Milton Rosekrans announces attractive prizes for the best floats.
Wilbur Marx, worlds champion trick and fancy log roller, is coming here from Eau Claire with Ray Quick to put on a thrilling performance on ONeill pond. A large truck is required to haul his stuff. There will be no charge to see him perform.
Two other big free attractions will be DeWaldo in trick bicycle and slack wire stunts and circus acts and Miss Henderson showing her trained wonder dogs the afternoon and evening of each day.
The big event Sunday, July 3, will be the dedication of the new $60,000 federal building, Neillsvilles Post Office, with dedicatory address by U. S. Senator F. Ryan Duffy at 1 p.m. Afterwards, there will be free acts of entertainment and at 3:30 p.m. a patriotic address by Attorney General Orland S. Loomis of Madison.
On July 4 the mammoth parade will award prizes for floats, with home and visiting bands marching.
There will be a free pavement dance, both afternoon and evening, of July 4. Boat riding will be enjoyed on ONeill pond.
Prizes will be awarded at 8:30 p.m. and a grand display of fireworks east of the Condensery will be held at 9 p.m.
The above photo, taken in 1908, was the Adolph Voigt Cheese Factory, located at N5903 County Highway G, northwest of Neillsville. Arnold Hoppa purchased the business in 1929, making cheese until 1940 when he sold the vats and remodeled the building into a tavern. Sometime later, the business was taken over by Arnolds son, David, until 1988 when the business was sold to the present owners, Dave and Donna McDonald. (Photo courtesy of Gordon Thoma)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs