Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin
February 13, 2008, Page 24
Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"
Transcribed by Linda Cottrell-Sanders & Prepared by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
Catholic Services will be held in the new church in this village, Sunday, February 10, at 10:30 a.m. All Catholics are requested to attend. Services will be conducted by Father Hess, the newly appointed priest.
* * *
It is reported that a party of workmen engaged in building a dam for the improvement of the head-waters of the Eau Claire River, recently, discovered a rich and apparently in-exhaustible vein of silver ore in the northern part of our county. Should the report prove to have good foundation, it may be regarded as a godsend to help this community out of the dilemma occasioned by Tice’s extraordinary winter. Also to our country, inasmuch as in case the silver bill passes, we can tender substantial aid in furnishing the material for coin with which to wipe out the national debt. It is suggested that the teams now in the woods for the purpose of hauling logs, be set to work carting silver to the front, just to pay expenses, until there is snow enough for lumbering purposes.
* * *
Quite a number of the schools, throughout the county, have closed for the winter term during the past week and in a few weeks more of the noble army of teachers will be resting from their labors.
* * *
Don’t forget that times are hard and every one should save a penny when they can and this is what you can do by buying your groceries at Jaseph & Pond’s store. Their goods are fresh from Chicago every week and warranted the best, every time.
* * *
Mrs. E.A. Crossett has opened a restaurant in the building formerly occupied by D. Dickinson. She is prepared to supply customers with everything usually kept in a first-class restaurant. Warm meals will be furnished at all hours. All kinds of fruit are kept in their season. Day boarders may apply.
* * *
Quite a number of Indians, with their families, made an appearance in town last Monday. They also brought several ponies laden with baskets to sell, manufactured by them during the winter.
* * *
Ice dealers, who have been waiting for a better crop before procuring a supply, are in danger of being left without that beverage cooler.
A few more days like those just past will send the bottom out of everything and lumbermen will be obliged, to suspend operations for the season.
* * *
Herman Schuster, of this place, is instructing a class in German. The class meets at his office evenings and it is making good progress. Mr. Schuster is an able scholar and a thorough teacher of his mother tongue.
* * *
During the past week, the sidewalk on Main Street has been extended from Furlong’s property to John Thayer’s, through the interest of the property holders. This extension makes a continuous stretch of one mile, on that street. It will be the promenade place of the village during the promenading season. Good sidewalks are blessings without disguise.
(Furlong’s addition was on the northwest edge of the Village of Neillsville. D.Z.)
* * *
If you are short of those dollars of our daddies, we’ll take a little maple sugar or maple syrup in on subscription renewals.
The City of Neillsville was granted a reduction in rates for power consumed amounting to $598, for the year by the Northern States Power Co., last week. Last fall, the private consumers were granted rate reductions by the power company.
* * *
Vern Jewett, manual training instructor at Neillsville High School, placed too much faith in Tommy Farr in his fight with Jimmy Braddock and as a result gave Kenneth Wagner a wheel barrow ride around a city block, Saturday noon. The wheel barrow, loaned by the Cochran hardware had a rubber tire, which made the ride nicer for “Budgie” and the pushing easier for Vern. A sizeable crowd cheered the payoff-sporting event.
* * *
Plans have been completed for the Presidential Ball to be held at the Armory, Saturday evening January 29. The purpose, as is well known, is to celebrate the birthday of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the funds raised will go to the Warm Springs Foundation for the treatment of infantile paralysis victims.
Music for the ball will be furnished by Gale Hiles’ orchestra and ad-mission has been set at the popular prices of 45c and 30c. From 10:30 to 11 p.m., there will be an intermission during which time everyone may listen to the president’s speech on a radio that will be available at the armory.
Everett Skroch, who is local chairman, is being assisted by a committee consisting of Jake Hoesly, Morris Svirnoff, Kenneth Wagner and Lester Zaeske. Frosty Kurth, of this city, is chairman for the county.
* * *
The new barber code for Wisconsin has been approved by the Governor. Like the old code, it pro-vides for 20-cent shaves and 40-cent haircuts. In the large cities, they will be higher. The code also specifies how long a shop can remain open, each week
* * *
L.A. Allen of Neillsville, who had charge of veterans’ grave registration work when that was a project, is still following up the work on his own accord. Last week, he was in the west end of the county, seeking information about Capt. Joseph H. Finley, a veteran of the War of 1812 reported to have been buried in the town of Levis.
* * *
Wesley Vanderhoof, who died at his home in the town of Sherman January 7, was one of the four surviving Civil War veterans of Clark County. The other three veterans are: Thomas Goodell, Spokeville, Albert Darton, Loyal and Sylvanus Warner, Thorp, all of whom are past 90 years old.
Wesley Vanderhoof was born on a farm in Pequanic, Morris County, N.J., October 16, 1843, a son of Jacob and Jane (Miller) Vanderhoof. He grew to young manhood there, receiving only a limited education. In 1861, he answered the call of his country and enlisted in Company E, 8th New Jersey Regiment. He was mustered in at Trenton, with that regiment being sent to Washington. He saw and participated in much hard fighting. At Chancellorsville, he received a hip wound and lay in the field for six days before he was picked up and taken to Mt. Pleasant hospital at Washington. There, he recovered and rejoined his regiment.
He took part in battles at Williamsburg, Yorktown, Harrison Landing, Fair Oakes, Deep Bottom and the fighting in front of Petersburg. At the close of the war, he came west and after spending a few months at Plymouth, Wis., he came to Neillsville in 1869. He helped build the first turnpike road in Clark County, leading north out of Neillsville. He spent his winters in the woods and worked at log driving in the spring.
In 1884 Mr. Vanderhoof bought a farm in the town of Sherman and that year his parents and other members of the family came to Clark County to join him. There were no roads at that time, the land being covered with pine and hardwood timber, with only 17 houses having been built between his farm and Neillsville. He was a member of the county board for six years and often walked in for its meetings. Most of the family provisions were carried from Spencer, 4 miles away. He built a log house and barn, acquired a yoke of oxen, and a few chickens, but it was two years before he added a cow to his livestock.
(Walking cross-country to attend county board meetings, in Neillsville, would have been a trek of at least 17 or 18 miles, one way. How many of us today would have that stamina? D.Z.)
On Sept. 6, 1882, he was married to Ellen Clark. Six children were born to this union: Pearl and Alfred, living on the home place in the town of Sherman and with whom Wesley made his home; Guy, of Chippewa Falls, Maude, Mrs. Robert Sleyster, Cochrane, Wis.; Hazel, Mrs. Martin Hein, Chippewa Falls, Wis.; and Frank, who passed away Dec. 18, 1937.
He leaves also three sisters and a brother: Mrs. Ed Kayhart, town of Sherman; Mrs. Sarah De Graw, Loyal; Mrs. Martha Nell, Seattle, Wash, and Lige Vanderhoof, Priest, Idaho. His wife passed away in May 1929.
Being a good farmer, the deceased gradually in-creased his acreage until he owned several hundred acres. He became a breeder of Holstein cattle, good horses, Poland China hogs and Shropshire sheep. He took a keen interest in his town and the affairs of the county at large. He served as justice of peace and school clerk for 37 years.
Military rites were conducted at the M.E. Church, Spencer, January 10, the Rev. Geo. R. Carver officiating. Burial took place in the Cole cemetery.
* * *
Otto Lewerenz informed us, this week, that he is remodeling the former Lewerenz garage and convert it into an up-to-date restaurant and ice cream store. He also stated that his former super-service station is to be operated here after as the Neillsville Standard Service. The corner building and station, he says, have been taken over by the Commercial Acceptance Company.
* * *
Three floorshows have been billed for Club 10, east of Neillsville, for Thursday evening, February 24. There will be staircase and roller skate dancers, music by Billy Wolgast’s Electric Band and dancing beneath the crystal ball. Chicken, chow mein, fish, frog legs and sandwiches will be served.
(Frog leg dinners were a popular meal in the 1930s. In some instances, boys living in the area caught and sold frogs to the restaurant owners for their restaurant business.)
* * *
Fire, last Saturday, caused a loss at the Sherman Loos machine shop and foundry at Colby estimated at $4,000. The interior of the building and expensive machinery were badly damaged.
* * *
The sale of 33,000 silver fox furs at the Fromm farm at Hamburg, largest fox farm in the world, closed this year with high sales record of $3,000,000.
* * *
Over 60 families in Clark, Wood, Marathon and Jackson counties have entered into lease purchase contracts with the United States Government for good farms in the better farming areas of these counties.
That the government is competing seriously with the real estate business by selling farms at a fraction of what they are worth was charged at the meeting of the Wis. Association of Real Estate dealers, held in Wausau. The Federal Land Bank of St. Paul, which has foreclosed on a large number of farms, was singled out for particular criticism.
Bert Apker of Chetek stated the Federal Land Bank of St. Paul was fore-closing on farm mortgages in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan and North Dakota at the rate of 4,000 a year, which through in-competent hands, had resulted in greatly depress-ing the prices of farm lands. The HOLC on the other hand, he said, was placing sales of foreclosed homes in the hands of real estate dealers, whose commission does not exceed 7 per cent.
* * *
The Marathon County Fish & Game Club has ordered 100 cottontail rabbits from Greensburg, Kan., for delivery at Wausau about March 1st. The rabbits will be released in various parts of the county.
1958 Clark County Dairy Plants
(Continuation of Dairy Plant listings)
Neillsville Milk Products Cooperative, a large, modern plant in a diversified operation of butter, milk powder and cheese; installed a spray dryer in 1957, owned by nearly 500 farmers. Manager B.H. Crissinger.
North Hendren Cooperative Dairy Company, Willard; an efficient plant new floor installed in 1957 makes cheese of quality, manager, Elroy Schwarze.
North Star Cheese Factory, Loyal route, by V.T. Mech, owner and operator; protects quality by scientific methods and produces good cheddar in a tile building.
Oakland Cheese Factory owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Munson; located on Curtiss route; enlarged building in 1957; installed a new stainless steel plate pasteurizer; makes Oakland brand Colby and Kumminoft.
Owen Dairy Co., city of Owen, owned by H.M. Gripentrog, Jr.; a large cheese operation, producing cheddar and Italian; managed by H.G. Gripentrog, an experienced cheesemaker, one of the county’s volume producers.
Pleasant Ridge Cheese Factory, Greenwood route, owned and operated by E.O. Franz; located in a new cement block building, with a substantial neighborhood patronage, makes cheddar.
Pleasant View Dairy, Loyal route; is an efficient cheddar cheese operation, owned and very well con-ducted by Mr. and Mrs. Edward Miller. Located in a substantial tile building.
Reseburg Cheese Factory, Thorp route, owned and operated by Casmer Boyarski; produces cheddar.
Riplinger Cheese Factory, operated by Pauly Cheese Co., a division of Swift and Co. A substantial cheddar operation located in a cement block and frame building; with modern equipment. Managed by Art Balz, Edgar; cheese maker Gerhart Gosse.
Schilling Factory, Greenwood route, owned and operated by Ben M. Kmice, a quality-minded cheese maker, who produces good cheddar.
Schlinsog Dairy, Loyal route, owned and operated by Harry W. Schlinsog, a modern factory; new floor installed in 1957; a well established, substantial operation, producing cheddar.
South Grant Cheese Factory, Granton route, owned and operated by Walter Schmidt is an enterprising operation, in a well-kept factory, with a substantial patronage.
Stewart Cheese Corporation, Greenwood, has large modern plant, specializing in Italian cheese and also upon occasion prize-winning cheddar.
A circa 1930s view of Hewett Street’s business section, west side: From left to right, Neillsville Bakery, Coast-to-Coast Hardware & Auto Supplies, Berger-Quinlan Clothier, Frank Brown Jewelry, Neillsville Bank, Wagner’s Café and Adler Theatre.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs