Clark County Press, Neillsville,

May 30, 2007, Page 17

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 



Compiled and contributed by Dee Zimmerman



Clark County News

May 1902


Mert and William Graves, of Spencer, rode over to Loyal Sunday, on their new motorcycle.  This new machine is quite a curiosity, being the first introduced in this area.  It weighs about 75 pounds and gasoline produces the motive power.  On good roads, remarkable fast time can be made.  In case of an accident to the mechanism, riders will have no trouble in reaching home, as the motorcycle is equipped with pedals.


The Unitarian people are rejoicing over the final payment on their church indebtedness, which was originally $1,300.  Much of the work in raising the funds has been done by the ladies. They are entitled to great credit for their financial push.


The Abbotsford Clarion, owned by Denny and Olson, is now under the editorial management of John C. Foley, formerly of the Athens Record.


With the recent acquisition of 200,000 acres of land in Northern Wisconsin, James L. Gates Land Company, from this city, has become the largest owner of unoccupied Northern Wisconsin lands in the state.  James L. Gates returned yesterday from Chippewa Falls, where on Thursday, he purchased from the Weyerhaeuser Lumber Company and Cornell University over 200,000 acres in the hardwood district in Chippewa, Gates and Price counties.  Together with other holdings of the company, it makes a total acreage of about 600,000 acres, or over 51 per cent of the vacant lands in the northern part of the state.


Henry Lazotte, who was employed at Lynch’s livery stable, fell suddenly to the ground unconscious, last Friday.  He lived but a few hours.  The cause of his death was pronounced as being heart disease.


The deceased was thirty-one years of age and made his home in the Town of Grant, when not working around the city.  He was a single man, and leaves six brothers and two sisters.  The funeral was held Monday at the Congregational Church.  Rev. G. W. Longenecker officiated, and the burial took place in the Catholic cemetery.


Last Saturday, George Trogner received a carload of 11,319 feet of yellow pine, from Tuscaloosa. He states that this is the finest car of lumber ever brought to this city, and we believe it.  There is not a board in the whole car that contains a knot, shake or end check.  The lumber was bought last September, when it was much cheaper than at present prices.  This will enable Trogner to retail the lumber at considerably better rates than if he had bought it now.


D. V. Richardson, editor and proprietor of the Loyal Tribune, bought the Clark County Chronicle from Geo. Meacham and will consolidate the two papers.


Marriage Licenses: Frederick Dankemeyer and Lucille Fields, both of Fremont; Emil Hansen and Elizabeth Miller, both of Town of Hixon; Albert E. Mead and Betsey S. Belden, Both of Town of Mead.


Preparations are being made for a big dance at W. C. Thoma’s barn in the Town of Weston, Saturday evening May 31st.


There will be a 6 o’clock supper at the Unitarian Church, Thursday, May 29.


The menu will be: Russian Pluff, Creamed Potatoes, Baked Beans, Strawberries and Cream, Bread and Butter, Salad, Cake and Coffee.  (Russian Pluff is a chicken casserole.)


Last Saturday, C. A. Youmans shipped fifty-five head of fat three-year old cattle, all steers except one, to Chicago.  They were a very fine bunch of cattle, averaging 1,352 pounds in weight.  Mr. Youmans had the nerve to feed a large amount of high-priced grain to his lot.  However, at the price he received for them, he has realized a fair profit.  Besides the steers, Mr. Youmans shipped a carload of fine hogs.


Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Northup, who live near Rundle’s Corners on the border of the towns of York and Grant, gave their many friends a party Wednesday night.  They tripped the light fantastic toe until the wee hours of the morning.  The guests departed feeling that they had had a most enjoyable evening.


A few of our farmers here are taking an interest in planting trees for shade and shelter.  Before long, the nude appearance in the Columbia countryside will have disappeared and both man and animal will be benefited by it, since both fruit and shade trees do well here.


B. Tykac has put in about an acre of onions, this season.


Three barrels of garden seeds came from Rochester, N.Y., arriving at the railroad station on Monday.  People here are ready to do planting.


The Levis Creamery started its season of production on May 1st.


M. L. Riley is scaling lumber at French’s Mill, in the Town of Levis.


May 1952


Frank M. Broeren is concluding, today, 22 years of service as chief executive of Thorp village and city.  He was president of the village from 1927 to 1946, and became mayor in 1948, when Thorp became a city.  He was not a candidate for reelection this spring.  His retirement is opening the door to his old friend and associate, Otto Hiller, who can fill the post as mayor.


Mr. Broeren has been the head of the government of Thorp during the slow period of the 1930s and during the recent years of substantial progress. Commanding public confidence as a man of sound judgment, he has concerned himself that the city government should lend help and encouragement to sound enterprise.  Prominent factors in the recent development of Thorp have been the activities and growth of Blue Moon Foods, Inc., and Thorp Finance Corporation.


Not knowing a stream has trout in it doesn’t mean there aren’t any in it, as a Willard man found out Saturday.  He paid a fine of $10 and costs before Herman J. Olson, justice of the peace, after he pleaded guilty to a charge of wrongfully and unlawfully fishing in a trout stream.  Warden Mark Russell apprehended him fishing in Hay Creek, in the Town of Foster on April 23.  Since the man caught no trout, he still doesn’t know whether the stream has any in it.


Three students from the Neillsville High School received honors at the State Future Farmers of America Convention held at Green Lake on April 28 and 29.


Robert Genteman and Arlyn Jahr were awarded the Wisconsin Farmer degree for outstanding accomplishment in Agriculture.  This recognition is the highest honor that the Wisconsin association grants and is limited to two percent of the membership.


Walter Wetzel was awarded a $50 check for an outstanding accomplishment in dairy herd testing and improving the home dairy herd.  The awards were present to the three students at the convention.  Others who attended from Neillsville were; Hans Harder Convention delegate from the local chapter and John Perkins, Neillsville High School instructor in Agriculture.


Several real estate property transfers have been listed recently in the register of deed’s office.


One urban transfer was that of Mr. and Mrs. Emil H. Streich, who bought the Frank P. Musial home in the village of Dorchester.  The property is located on the southwest corner of Second and Center Avenues.


A city of Thorp transfer was made by Martha Skaleske, who bought the Victory Skaleske home on Maple Street. 


Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Courtland have bought a building lot on Fourteenth Street in Neillsville, from Mr. and Mrs. DeVere Sischo.  The property is located west of Pitcher Street.


Three building lots, in Abbotsford, have been purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Loys Buell from Mr. and Mrs. Louis Mauritz for $400.  Described as lots 15, 16 and 17 of Woock’s second addition, the lots are located on the south side of McKinley Street, half a block west of Walnut Street.


Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Greunke purchased the Raymond Ackerman home, lot 3, block B in the city of Greenwood.


Three rural transfers in the Town of Beaver have been listed.


Henry Olson bought the Daniel Olson farm.  It consists of a 40 in section 18.  Earl C. Klein and Mr. and Mrs. Earl H. Nelson bought a 40 in section 17 from Clara Nelson.  Bernard F. Kaiser bought a farm from Joyce J. Luther and Esther S. Verhulst.  It consists of a 40 and an 80 in section 18.


Two Town of Sherman transfers were those of Mr. and Mrs. George Collinson who bought the Albert H. Schroeder farm, consisting of two 80s in section 20; and Edward O. Dickman, who bought the George Knajdek farm, consisting of two 80s in section 23.


Grand Opening of the Women’s golf program at the Neillsville Country Club will be held this Thursday.  The program will start at 9:30 a.m. with golfing; sandwiches and coffee served at 12 Noon; cards starting at 2 p.m. with Canasta and bridge played; a smorgasbord supper at 5 p.m., served for 75c; and a social evening.  The women are selling social memberships for $5 for the season, for women interested in all or part of the program, which they hope to make a weekly affair.


Marine Reserve Sergeant Harry C. Smith, 22, son of Mr. and Mrs. David Smith of Loyal, has been released to inactive duty in the Marine Corps following 17 months of active duty.


Sgt. Smith enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve in November 1950.  He reported to the East Coast Marine Corps recruit depot at Parris Island, S. C., shortly after that, and was sent to the Weapons training battalion after he completed boot training.


The Thirty-Second National Guard Division, with which the local military organization has long been associated, will be honored by a Memorial Highway.  The dedication will take place on Memorial Day.  The Highway will carry the designation “32”, and will be neatly marked by the Wisconsin Highway Commission.  The highway begins at the Wisconsin-Illinois line, starting on the present Highway 42; then it proceeds over the present 32 and follows 45 to the Upper Michigan border.


The dedication will take place on Memorial Day at Green Bay.  On that day, two auto-cades will converge on Green Bay, one from the north and one from the south.  This area will contribute to the north auto-cade, joining it on Highway 29 and following 29 and 32 to the west city limits of Green Bay.


The dedication ceremony will take place at 3 p.m. at Packers Field in Green Bay.  This will be followed by a banquet at Hotel Northland at 6 p.m., with music by the Thirty-Second division band.  Tickets for the banquet are obtainable for $4 from R. M. Tetzlaff, Peoples Trust & Savings Bank, Green Bay.


The event will bring together many notables of the Thirty-Second, including Major General Jim Dan Hill, of Superior.  Master of ceremonies will be Major General Ralph Immell, former adjutant general of Wisconsin.


Fullerton Lumber Company, of Neillsville, offers this building special.  Build a combination Garage for only $14.94 a month for 36 months, no down payment required.


This garage has extra space along one side for a workbench, power tools or storage.  How handy it would be to have your tools right where you need them to work on your car or truck parked in the garage.


All materials needed would be included: 4-inch concrete floor; 2x4 studs 24”CC; 2x4 plates, 2x8 Overhead door headers; 2x6 window headers; 2x6 ceiling ties; shiplap for roof sheathing; 1x6 drop siding; 90 lb. slate surfaced roofing; 8’x7’ overhead garage door; side door; 3 garage windows; necessary nails and hardware.


It’s Cotton Time at McCain’s in Neillsville.


Dressy, Street-Type Cotton House Dresses: Sheer, Organdie, 80-square percale; available from a choice of stripes, checks or plaids in a nice assortment of colors, for only $2.98 each.


(For the younger generation, who may not know what a housedress was, years ago every housewife wore a housedress as she went about doing her household duties.  As he ad indicated, the dresses were made of a washable cotton fabric, available in different patterns, and an apron was usually worn over the front to help keep the dress clean while cooking or baking. D.Z.)


The time has arrived when the patient waiters will be rewarded by a choice of lots on the new Mead Lake.  With the lots now laid out, the county is ready to complete the leases.  A few lots have been reserved for public use, and the other lots will go in the order in which applicants made their down payments.  First and third choices go to S. J. Glankoski of Thorp.  Second choice goes to Calvin Mills, of Owen.  Both of these men put their money down five years ago.


Thirty-four persons had made their deposits and will now make their choices.  The choosing will be a somewhat deliberate affair, the present plan calling for about three choices per day.


All told, there are 192 lots available around the lake.  It is the anticipation of Mike Krultz, Jr., county clerk, that there will be an increasing demand for them, now that the lake is in being and the area has been platted.




A photo taken of students assembled on a day during the 1911-1912 school-term in the Assembly Room of the Neillsville High School, which was located on the corner of Court and 4th Streets. 

(Photo courtesy of Bill Roberts’ Collection)






© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel