Clark County Press, Neillsville,

February 14, 2007, Page 17

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 



Compiled and contributed by Dee Zimmerman



Clark County News

February 1907


The Humbird Creamery stock paid the regular annual interest of six per cent. W. H. Kubat has been engaged as the buttermaker for another year.


The Dorchester Roller Mill burned to the ground, last week, involving a loss of $9,000.00, insurance $4,000.  The cause of the fire is unknown.


The wrestling match, Friday night between Henry Lindsley and Tom Pemperton at Wasserberger’s hall, attracted a large crowd.  As a start-off, there was a wrestle between Frank Tragsdorf and Tony Schiller, who proved to be very evenly matched but Tony proved the winner.


The two main contestants, at first sight, appeared to be very greatly favoring Pemperton being a man of over two hundred pounds in weight, well muscled and athletic in build, outweighing Lindsley, his opponent by sixty pounds.  However, Lindsley’s superior skill and agility proved too much for the good fellow who time and again broke away, slipping through his holds and won two falls out of the three.  Lindsley is a wrestler, who if he works right, will rival the noted Beel, of Marshfield, with whom he has trained.


Last week, Frank Potter bought Henry Carleton’s place adjoining his for $2,700.  The place consists of forty acres and is very fine land.  Mr. Carleton and family, it is reported, expect to go to Oklahoma to seek a milder climate.


Monday afternoon, Martin Lastofka got the Republican Press on board his cutter and together, they made a tour of inspection of some of the silos.  The first silo visited was on the Youmans’ farm; it is of the Buff Jersey type, made of two-by-four scanting.  It has the merit of being cheap to construct.  Geo. Swann has a fine silo, the lower part of stone and upper part of brick. Similar in construction is that of Geo. Wilding, also that of M. C. Ring on his big stock farm, all though much larger and more elaborate than any of the others visited.


One thing that surprised us was the amount of silage frozen to the lower part of the walls in all the silos visited.  As we did not have an opportunity to talk with the owners on this point, we are unable to state how this affects the value of the silage.


Parties ringing the fire bell are requested by the Fire Chief to first ring an alarm, then pause and ring one, two or three taps to indicate the number of the ward in which the fire is located.  The alarm may then be rung again and then pause, and once more ring one, two or three strokes repeated as before.


There seems to be a very active sale for horses, this winter and spring, at good prices.  Last week, Lorenz Haas sold a young horse to W. C. Thoma for $170.  M. C. Redmond sold, to a horse buyer, a span of unbroken colts, coming three years old, for $200.  John Plummer sold a colt, the same age, for $175.  The three colts were German Coach Stock.


Fred W. Draper reports a number of applications for an increase of pension already filed under the new act of Feb. 6, 1907; seven applications in the last five days.  Under this law, Civil War veterans who served ninety days or more are entitled at 65 years of age, to $12 per month; at 70 to $15, and at 75 to $20.  It will affect a great many old soldiers here.


On Sunday, a large delegation of local Masons drove to Loyal to attend and to take part in the funeral ceremonies of Nelson Waterbury, formerly a resident of Neillsville, and one of the oldest members of the Masonic Lodge in this place.  Mr. Waterbury was a man of keen intelligence and had many friends.  He leaves an aged wife and grown up family.


W. H. Marsh, this week, became the owner of the H. H. Heath residence, one of the most elegant homes in Neillsville.  It is a house of beautiful proportions and design, planned to perfection on the interior.


The deal, which also involved the disposal of Mr. Marsh’s present residence, was carried out through the real estate office of Jas. Phillips.


Dr. J. H. Brooks has purchased W. J. Marsh’s house on Clay Street.  It has recently been rebuilt and modernized in every way.  With its pretty location, on one of the finest streets in the city, it makes an elegant home.  Dr. Brooks has wisely laid the foundation for a permanent home here by giving his profession constant and studious attention.  He has built up a good practice, equipping his office equal to any of the offices in the largest cities.


February 1947


A celebration of unknown extent, depth and vigor is due for the annual meeting of the stockholders of the Neillsville Country Club, to be held Monday evening, February 10, in the Kiwanis room of the Neillsville Bank.  The celebration grows out of the condition of the treasury, which wound up the year with $12.89 to the good.  In some situations, this balance would be nothing to shout about, but for the country club to have $12.89 at the end of the year is really some-thing.  At the end of one recent year, the local balance was 15 cents.


This financial affluence is to be reported to the club by Harry Wasserberger, the club’s treasurer who is prepared to take a modest bow at the proper time.  Right now, George Zimmerman, the club president alleges that one the club has $12.89 is that it has a good treasurer, and Harry, blushing, admits the sweet allegation.


Another reason for the club’s good standing is that the number of club members in 1946 was 97, largest in the club’s history.  It was a great year for the local club, with the picturesque course even more than commonly beautiful and well cared for. Also progress was made upon the basement of the club house, which is already in shape to house repair operations upon the club’s equipment and which may ultimately house lockers, showers and toilets, if and when the finances continue to grow in the hands of a first-class treasurer.


Dist. Atty. Bruce F. Beilfuss returned to Neillsville Sunday from Milwaukee, where he wallowed through Milwaukee’s worst blizzard in 23 years and went more than 24 hours without eating.


Mr. Beilfuss left Wednesday evening, January 31, to attend the district attorney’s convention, which opened the next day.  He drove to Tomah, expecting to climb aboard a train about 1:30 p.m.


The blizzard already was in progress that far south of Neillsville, although it did not strike hard here until in the morning.  The train pulled into Tomah at 2 a.m.


Progress to Milwaukee was slow, with the train advancing station-to-station, awaiting word at each that the snow plow preceding the train had cleared the next station.


There was no food aboard the train, and those aboard went without until they reached Milwaukee at 9 p.m., 19 hours on a trip, which ordinarily is scheduled in two and one-half hours.


A part of the delay was due to railroad brotherhood regulations.  At Harland, 25 miles out of Milwaukee, the train crew walked out, having completed 16 consecutive hours of work. There was a delay at Hartland, then, while a new crew was rounded up to take the train on into Milwaukee.


Arriving there, Dist. Atty. Beilfuss found that his hotel reservation, made a month before, was not to be honored.  Down-town Milwaukee was in a jam-pile.  People caught downtown in the 17.9 inch snowfall couldn’t get home.  People caught at home couldn’t get out.


Mr. Beilfuss estimated that 300 people were spending the night on the lobby chairs and floors in the hotel in which he finally secured a room. The room, to him, was the most important, in spite of the fact that he had gone without eating for nearly 30 hours.


Between 10:30 and 11 p.m. Thursday night, with a room finally secured, Mr. Beilfuss found a restaurant.  In his own words: “I gorged myself.”


Transportation facilities were really tied up.  Restaurants, which had a reserve stock of food, did a land-office business, Mr. Beilfuss said.  Those, which bought close to current needs, soon were out of food and temporarily out of business, because deliveries were out of the question.


The situation regarding transportation was easing when Mr. Beilfuss left Milwaukee Sunday; but his estimate was that three or four days more would be required to bring the city back to normal.


The sale of timberlands and timber rights were revealed in a number of warranty deeds filed during the last week, in the office of the Register of Deeds.


The timber on a piece of land in section 17, Town of Lynn, has been sold to the Hart Lumber and Tie Company of Black River Falls.  The lumber company paid $1,000 for the timber and will have a period of three years in which to cut and remove it.


Mr. and Mrs. Linus Prock, of Globe, have sold a $5,000 property in section 26, Town of Reseburg, to the Harry J. Rhyner Tie Company of Stetsonville.  This land adjoins the one-acre plot on which the Oakland School is situated.


Several farm sales, both with and without personal property, also were filed in the Register of Deeds office.  They included:


The purchase; by Mr. and Mrs. Hugo Kobs who formerly operated a cheese factory, near Granton, of the Christopf Klessig farm, and all personal property.  The farm is located in section 36, Town of Hoard.


The sale and deed was executed January 23.


There was a sale by Herman Fisher to Melvin Schumacher for property in section 3, Town of Mayville.


Two Owen truck drivers froze their extremities, recently.


Dale Elliott, a former Neillsville boy, driver of a milk truck at Owen, froze his hands, one day early last week, while backing his truck about a quarter of a mile to get out of a snow blocked road.  On account of poor visibilities, he was forced to drive with the truck door open.  Norman Gosse, also an Owen milk driver, froze one of his feet in a similar experience.


The last two dances before Lent at Merry Ol’ Gardens will be Feb. 15 and Feb. 16.  Saturday, Feb. 15, there will be a dance with the Sturtz Swing Kings Band.  This will also be a benefit for the Farmers Union.  Sunday, Feb. 16, dance to Dale Simons and his Blue Denim Boys, in honor of the marriage of Earl Caliebe and Shirley Syth.


(Yes, back then, we didn’t go dancing during Lent, but cold dance on the evening of St. Patrick’s Day, also, many of us could not go to the movie theatre during tat time, at least not to the knowledge of our parents. D.Z.)


Vacancies in two rural schools have been filled, Russell Drake, county school superintendent, has announced.


Mrs. Milo Lott, of Curtiss, has taken over the teaching duties since the death of Mrs. Gertrude Kaskins, in the Pineland state graded school in the Town of Withee.


Helen Hansen, of Withee, is filling the vacancy in the Field School, located north of Thorp.  Miss Hansen taught last year in Tomah, and was taking a rest this year, until she consented to take the Field School position.


The problem of finding a schoolhouse for the 24 pupils of the Benjamin School, in the Town of Warner, has been solved, at least for the remainder of this year.


Russell Drake, Clark County School Superintendent, said that the Benjamin School now is in operation in the old German Church School, located about a mile south of the site upon which the Benjamin School stood before it was razed by fire, recently.


The present building was used many years ago as a parochial school, but had not been in use for quite some time.  The seats and blackboards still were in place and were ready for use.


Textbooks largely were secured from the old West Eaton School, which has been closed, and a few new books were bought to fill in, Mr. Drake said.


The parochial school building has been leased for the remainder of the year, Mr. Drake said; but there is uncertainty as to the method of handling the school in that district, thereafter.  The Greenwood schools are filled, Mr. Drake said, so it will not be possible for the pupils from Benjamin School to be transported to Greenwood.  Building being as it is, there is a question whether a new schoolhouse can, or will be built at the present time.


An eighth place of milk production, in the United States, has been accorded to Clark County by the Federal Bureau of Census.  This position is given to the county as a result of the census of 1945, which is based upon 1944 milk production.


Of the 100 counties of the country, leading in milk production, Wisconsin had 38.  Those Wisconsin counties, which had a higher production than Clark, were: Dane, which stood second in the nation; Marathon, which stood third; Dodge, which stood fourth.  Other counties outside of Wisconsin, which produced more than Clark County, were not named in the release just furnished.


First steps toward the reorganization of the Service Company, of Neillsville, will be taken at a meeting being called for at the city hall, next Friday evening at 8 p.m.  The meeting is being arranged by Lieut. Col. Herbert M. Smith, upon the request of Col. Marvin Wang, the executive officer.  The latter will be present to participate in the meeting.


Col. Smith states that the desire is to have in attendance members of the old Service Company, as well as other men of the community who may now wish to join up.  In the organization, as it will finally be completed, there is room for plenty of men, as the plans call for a company of 109 persons; seven officers and 102 men.




The Willard train depot was a busy place in circa 1910.  The N. C. Foster Railroad traveled the tracks between Fairchild and Greenwood, servicing the Willard area with the delivery of freight orders.





© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel