Clark County Press, Neillsville,
May 3, 2006, Page 15
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
Dwyer and Wolff have bought out the meat market heretofore run by McIntyre & Betz in the old Tom Lowe stand. They took possession last Friday. The shop they have been running on Sixth Street has been closed and hereafter, we will have only one meat market.
Dwyer & Wolff are good businessmen and this change will be for the better all around. They supply choicest meats to be had and will run a market that all of us can be proud of. We know that the orders will be filled promptly with the best to be had in the land.
The prospects for our baseball team are O.K. The season will be opened at an early date. New grounds have been secured at Hewetts field, which is near the city and will make a fine diamond. Work on it has begun and will be finished when the weather permits.
With the first approach of spring, when trees begin to show signs of life and the lawns rich and ripe greenness, you should administer a spring tonic to the back yard premises. It is certainly astonishing how many old tin-cans, worn-out shoes, rags and junk of all kinds will collect during the winter months. A thorough cleaning of streets, alleys, stables and dooryards should be made before the warm weather. Early summer begins to do its work upon the decomposing animal and vegetable matter everywhere it abounds. Give the backyard a strong purgative tonic and dont delay too long.
This is the proper season of the year for the farmers to give the setting hen a chance. Poultry was high in price last fall, and if the setting hen is properly humored, given eggs instead of doorknobs to set on, she will help the farm market with a lot of poultry at a good price, next fall. As a branch of general farming, poultry raising is profitable and full remunerates for all the care required. Give the old hens a chance and they will soon make up the price of an incubator for next season. (Only we older people can relate to the days of having setting hens on the farm. As kids, we anxiously waited to see the newly-hatched chicks, hoping the hen would let us near enough to pick one up. D.Z.)
Mrs. R. Barker, of the Town of Holton, near Abbotsford, reports the account of Mr. Holtons crop of lambs, last week. From their flock of 17 ewes: they received four sets of triplets, ten pairs of twins and five single lambs making 37 in all. This certainly is a wonderful increase.
Fine, large carnations for Decoration Day, can be bought for only 50c per dozen at the Greenhouse south of the Neillsville High School. Leave orders early. Also large thrifty plants, now ready, tomatoes, cabbage and others.
A new Candy Kitchen, in the Esch building, will be open and ready for business next Saturday. W. L. Johnson, the proprietor, comes from Merrill. He is a candy maker and understands his business thoroughly. He will carry all kinds of candies and confections. There will also be an ice cream parlor, serving ice cream made from pure cream.
Get a package of Kotton Kandy free with every purchase at Johnsons Candy Kitchen, Saturday.
On Wednesday of last week, the Supreme Court ruled against W. D. Connor of Marshfield, in extended litigation over the purchase by the city of the water works from Ex-Gov. Upham. It marks the termination of a long fight in which the whole town has been lined up on political, social and personal lines.
Farm for rent: on shares, with cows; close to cheese factory. Leasee must have a good team of horses and some farm machinery. Apply at once to M. C. Ring, Neillsville.
Andrew Braun has sold his saloon on Hewett street to August Storm, who has been running a place at the corner of Seventh Street and Grand Ave. He will take possession July 1st.
Mr. Braun came here from Loyal, where his son, Alouis Joe Braun, is still running a hotel and bar. The elder Braun started at Loyal when there was noting but brush and stumps in the streets up there. He will now retire from business.
Barney Gehrman has rented the place where Storm has been located and will take hold there soon.
R. T. Boullion has sold his Palace buffet to Wallace Waldrock of Holcombe, who is now clerking there and will take possession July 1st.
Glass & Creasey opened their new barbershop, Monday, in the basement of the Kapellen building. They are having a good trade and it will do well.
The dairy industry of Clark County is on the edge of disaster, because of the coal strike. The threat is that, with the coal supply exhausted, the commercial value of milk in this area will drop to practically nothing. Thus the farmers of Clark County were brought face to face with the results of John L. Lewis and the United Mine Workers.
The pinch is already within sight. Coal stocks in Clark County are sufficient to carry the dairy plants, on an average, into the week of May 19. Managers of the plants have been exerting themselves to the utmost to add to the stocks on hand. Some coal is moving toward Clark County, according to the statements made to them by their suppliers. But the total adds up to only a little further extension of the prospective period of operation.
Few persons in this dairy county realize their dependence upon coal. With dairy products coming to the table from the refrigerator, the mind does not readily connect them with heat. Yet the fact is that heat is essential to all dairy processing. Without fuel, dairy plants are out of luck.
Time was when that lack of coal would not have threatened disaster in Clark County. In earlier days, the cheese factories operated with wood, cut in local forests and supplied, in most instances by the same patrons who supplied the milk. Then the power plants were adapted to the use of wood. But in recent years, wood has been scarce and furnaces have been changed over to burn coal. In many instances stoker coal is used. Such furnaces could no longer burn wood, even if wood were available.
Undoubtedly a few of the smaller plants will, in the extremity, make an effort to revert in wood, but that is a sorry alternative. Throughout the war and since, labor has been short and little wood has been cut. The supply of dry wood in Clark County is insufficient to afford more than a trickle, as compared, for instance, with the 15 tons of coal consumed daily in the two dairy plants of Neillsville.
Neillsville High School has received a certificate of recognition for completing five consecutive years of driver education. The recognition comes from the Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Departments Safety Division.
The accompanying letter says: Your fine record is one the (that) we like to refer to as an outstanding example of perseverance in carrying on a worthy program.
Construction began Wednesday, May 8, on an office building for the Larson Lumber Co., a new business in Neillsville. The location is the Stelloh property on Grand Avenue, the buildings being located on the northerly side of the Stelloh plot.
The property, both land and improvements, remains in the Stelloh name, but is leased to the Larson Lumber Co., which has the option of purchase. The construction will be directed by Russell Larson, who was a contractor before he came to Neillsville as manager of Fullerton Lumber Co.
Mr. Larson intends, as soon as the buildings are in readiness, to open a business for the sale of building materials. He has arranged for the needed stock, and has on hand the material needed for the present construction. He also has the necessary certificate of approval, enabling him to proceed with the construction.
Sixty years of service to the parish and of the community will be commemorated by St. Johns Lutheran School in special exercises Sunday, May 23, by the congregation and its friends.
It was on January 18, 1886, that the parish school first was organized under the guidance of H. H. Ebert. At that time, the school was conducted in a building in the business district, for the school was founded even before the congregation had been organized.
It is the anniversary of this event that will be observed Sunday. The ceremonies will include German services at 8 a.m., followed at 9:30 a.m. by an English Service, with Rev. Lyle Koenig of Wausau as the speaker.
The latter service will include graduation ceremonies for the 16 members of this years eighth grade class. They include: Donald Bartell, Elle Borde, Ardys Cardarelle, Marjorie Demert, Shirley Diercks, Erland Greeler, Lowell Gress, Edward Henchen, Raymond Knoop, Donald Lewern, Elaine Lueck, Donald Meihak, Arlene and Barbara Roehrborn.
A picnic dinner will be held at noon under the supervision of the committee composed of Mesdames Gustav Kaddatz, Arthur Gress, Otto Schlimme, Carl Diercks and Verna Payne. Children of St. Johns School will resent a program of entertainment during the afternoon.
This year, as in other recent years, the graduating class numbers approximately the same as the total enrollment of the school on the day of the founding, January 18, 1886, by H. H. Ebert.
Mr. Ebert came here as a student from the theological seminary at Milwaukee to conduct services and to establish a school. At that time, the curriculum of the public schools of Neillsville was adopted by the Lutheran school, and teaching of German and religion were added.
During the first term of school the enrollment increased to about 30. That spring, Mr. Ebert departed and was succeeded by F. Epping, who came to conduct services as well as school classes. It was under Mr. Epping that the school was conducted on the second floor of the present North Side Grade School, and a school board was elected, composed of August Ketel and Simon Reinicke.
After five years without a home, the first school structure was erected. It was a frame building, which cost $300, and now forms a part of the present school building. This structure was erected under the direction of a committee composed of C. Walk, C. Schulz, H. Blum, H. North and A. F. Radke. It was located on land just north of the church.
During the early period, the pastor took care of the work incidents in the congregation, and also served as the instructor in the school. But when the enrollment had grown to 50, in 1897, the first teacher was hired. He was Louis Serrahn, who later became president of the general teachers conference of the Western District of the Wisconsin Synod.
C. Kelpe followed Mr. Serrahn as the teacher, and the enrollment showed a continued increase. To provide for an enrollment of about 80 pupils, a second building became necessary. This building was erected on the site, and the original school building was moved and combined with the new addition. Men called upon to steer the $1,800 financial end of the new structure were: Rev. Brandt, F. Pagenkopf and H. Warner. In charge of the construction was a committee composed of L. Duge, H. Bartell, E. Wiedenhoeft, John Rindfleisch, H. Bieneck and H. North.
The new building was erected during the summer of 1906, and Mr. Kelpe continued to serve as the instructor until 1909. Otto Hellermann came from Sleepy Eye, Minn., to succeed Mr. Kelpe, and remained until 1912.
By this time, the enrollment was too large for one teacher to handle unaided; thus a system of helpers, were established and continued during the period of Mr. Schultz, who served in the school from 1912 to 1915. For the two years that followed, students from Martin Luther College at New Ulm, Minn., served as instructors until A. Ehlke came in May of 1917. He remained until 1920, and it was during this time that the playground was established and washrooms were added in the basement.
Mr. Schultz was followed by G. Glaeser, who remained until 1925, then F. W. Kluhsman who served that position until the spring of 1933.
It was during the time of Mr. Kluhsman, and the present pastor Rev. Wm. A. Baumann, that the decision was reached to hire a second teacher. The school board and pastor selected Miss Hilda Beversdorf, who served as teacher of the lower grades from 1929 until 1932.
Erich Sievert, who last fall accepted a call to La Crosse, succeeded Miss Beversdorf as teacher of the primary grades. Upon the resignation of Mr. Kluhsman, Mr. Sievert became principal of the school, and Miss Adelia Schumacher became teacher of the lower grades. Mr. Sievert and Miss Schumacher who since has become Mrs. Sievert were both graduates of Dr. Martin Luther College.
A few years ago, the present school building was remodeled.
From St. Johns Lutheran School, three generations have graduated and still living. There are three generations represented by Mrs. Fred Schroeder; her daughter, Mrs. George Keller; and Mrs. Kellers daughters, Doris Ott, a member of this years graduation class. Doris is the latest of six Ott children to complete the three-generation chain. First was Henry F. Ott, now of Loyal, then came his sister, Mrs. Ruth Benduhn of Milwaukee, then, Louise, Leana and Edgar Ott, all of Neillsville.
Present teachers of St. Johns School are John Bremer, principal, who came here from Hustisford, and Mrs. Edna Sternitsky of Granton, who is finished this school year. Mrs. Sternitsky came in February, relieving Mrs. Ella Hoffmann of Rib Lake, who substituted following the illness and resignation of Miss Vona Reed.
For Sale, in Neillsville: nice 6-room house, full basement with hot air furnace, lights and water, with 8 good desirable building lots, $5,000.
Q. What was the Braves final season in Milwaukee?
John Wolff, wearing a white apron, standing in the doorway of this meat market on East Sixth Street, Neillsville, circa 1890. (Photo courtesy of Bill Roberts Collection)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs