Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
June 11, 2003, Page 28
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
Workmen have been busy for a week, tearing down the old Reddan House, on Fifth Street. Alex Halverson bought the material, which is being hauled to the lot opposite the Freer shop, near the depot. The Reddan House was, for years, a popular hotel, the center of merry life and great activity. Since the hotel was closed, as such, the building has been used by poor families, under various arrangements, some being at the citys charge. The structure was a patched up affair and not worth trying to preserve. The lot is valuable and we hope the owner will see that good use will be made of it.
On Monday, John G. Schmidt received a noble monument for the grave of the late Mrs. C. C. Sniteman. It is granite, of 18,000 pounds weight. Schmidt asked an expert, who lives in Madison, to put the monument in position at the local cemetery.
Through the efforts of a syndicate, organized or suggested by J. L. Gates, of Milwaukee, a village has been started along Wedges Creek. A few buildings are now being put up on the site. (The village, Hewettville, was located near what is now known as Snyder Dam. D. Z.)
The cornerstone of the Presbyterian Church, at Dells Dam, will be laid on June 30, at 11 a.m. Rev. Brown, of Marshfield and Rev. Hendren will address the congregation wand there will also be other ministers to assist them. Afterwards, a warm dinner will be served, 25c per person.
The M. E. Church, at Christie, is to be dedicated on June 18. Rev. Elder Bushnell and other ministers will be attending.
The Neillsville Creamery Company, with capital stock of $2,000, filed articles of incorporation with the Secretary of State on Saturday. Members of the corporation are B. E. Luethe, S. A. Walker, C. A. Youmans and James ONeill.
The Catholics, in the vicinity of Loyal, will commence work on a new church edifice, this week. The building will be 36 x 72 feet and when completed, will be one of the best structures in this part of the state. A. Braun, of the building committee, was in town Sunday. He says it is the intent of the congregation, to lay the corner stone on June 22. At that time, appropriate services will be held. The Catholics, of Loyal, cordially invite everyone to be present at the services on that day.
A large encampment of Indians, near Ross Eddy, spent a day, squaws and all, in the water, keeping cool and adding to the swarthy complexion of the stream. They are more decent than their white friends, as they wear bathing suits. No bathing has been allowed at the Eddy, it being a nuisance of which much complaint has been made.
The game of baseball was waged at the coal kiln on Saturday, Pleasant Ridge versus Coal Kilns. The Ridge boys had a pleasant time in batting and when the score got to be 47 to 3, the Coal Kilns team caved in and gave up the game. The foreman of the Coal Kiln team looked at the moon, over his shoulder the night before, which accounts for their bad luck.
M. C. Ring has had men busy, this week, opening a spring on the north hillside of his addition to Neillsville, the Blakeslee lot. Now there is a fine flow of water that will water all of the livestock, as much stock as the grassy lot can provide for.
Lou L. Ayers house, on West Fifth Street, has been completely transformed in appearance. These improvements deserve special mention. The house looks fine, Lou.
Last Friday night, Chas. Burpee gave a dance in his recently completed big new barn, at Christie. M. C. Ring and R. M. Campbell went there, after Rob had finished his part of singing at the Milkmaids Convention, held here in Neillsville. They reported a very enjoyable time at the dance.
Burpee has been requested to give another dance in his new barn. That dance will be held on the evening of July 3rd.
A. Schoengarth has shipped three loads of Neillsville brick to Marshfield, last week and two loads this week.
Neillsville is too hilly, as is the country around it, ever to be much of a bicycling town. (Now that is one thing about this area that hasnt changed through the years. D. Z.)
A new bridge is now being built across the Black River at the Archie Day place in Levis. This will make that route seem like old times to the settlers who used to reach the outside world by way of Hatfield.
Deferred on account of illness last March, the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Naedler and a family reunion were celebrated Sunday. The celebration was held at the home of their youngest son, Hilbert, who lives near the home farm.
Mr. and Mrs. Naedler were married at Jefferson, Wis., March 31, 1888. Afterwards, they lived on a farm, in that area, for a short time. In the fall of 1900, they came to the Town of Pine Valley and purchased the Hilyer farm containing 60 acres. The following spring they purchased an additional 55 acres, a portion of the Clark Farm. Naedler served his township as its chairman for several years.
Mr. and Mrs. Naedler worked together throughout the years, building for themselves a happy home and an excellent farm, which they still operate. They reared a family of five children, Henry J. Naedler, Neillsville; Mrs. A. C. Haack, Wauwatosa; E. A. Naedler, St. Paul; Wm. Jr., near Granton and Hilbert, who resides on the old Bandelow farm, all of whom are a credit to their parents. The children were all present for the celebration.
Others who were here from out-of-town included: Mr. Naedlers sisters and brother, John F. Naedler, Helenville; Mrs. Albert Doering and her husband, of Waterloo, and Mrs. P. Anderson, Janesville, two sisters were unable to attend. Many nieces and nephews were in attendance.
Dinner and supper were served the entire day and the weather was perfect.
Homer M. Root, for over 60 years a prominent figure in the business and official life of Clark County, passed away (at) the Owen hospital, Sunday evening. His death is like the passing of a landmark. Root lacked less than a month of being 93 years of age, having been born in Guilford, New York, June 22, 1845. Engaging in the lumbering business along the Black River in 1869, he established headquarters at Greenwood. From 1874 to 1885, he and B. F. Thompson, in a partnership, logged 55,000,000 feet of pine. For 19 years, he followed the logging business, during which time he developed a farm near Greenwood. For ten years, Root served as clerk of the Town of Eaton.
In the fall of 1888, he was elected as Clark County Clerk, serving in that office for eight years, living in Neillsville during that time. Geo. E. Crothers was elected Clark County Superintendent in 1888 and became a lasting friend of Root during that time. They enjoyed many visits during Roots illness of the last month. For a time, Root also served as Clark County Register of Deeds. For many years, Root was prominent in the Republican Party at county, district and state conventions. In 1886, he was chairman of the Republican State Central committee.
In 1898, Root opened a private bank in Neillsville, which later became the nucleus of the Commercial State Bank of Neillsville. Root served as the banks cashier until 1916, when he then became its president. Probably no other man was so widely sought after for advice on financial and business affairs in Clark County for many years as Root.
Not only was Root a keen businessman, but he did a great deal of reading and he had a fine library in his home. Having a garden with many beautiful flowers also was one of his joys for many years. He always took a keen interest in his home community. For 11 consecutive years, he served on the Clark County Board.
Root was married in 1891 to Mrs. Mary J. Huntzicker, who preceded him in death.
In recent years, before his health began to fail lately, Root had made his home at the Merchants Hotel, in this city. Many of the local pioneers visited him there. Of a rugged constitution, Root hardly ever wore an overcoat, even in the coldest weather. A month ago, before he was leaving for the hospital, at Owen, he called on his old friends here in Neillsville to bid them all goodbye.
It is with deep regret that both young and old friends note the passing of a pioneer whose life encompassed almost the entire history and development of Clark County. It was in 1844, only one year before Root was born, that the first loggers came to Neillsville. In the development of Clark County, Root was an important figure.
Funeral services were held at the Lowe Funeral Home at 2 p.m. June 1, with Rev. G. W. Longenecker officiating. The body was taken to St. Paul for cremation, the ashes to be deposited in the cemetery at Greenwood.
Wagners new restaurant will be opened with a special dinner on Sunday, June 5, in the newly remodeled building next to the Adler Theatre. A. C. Wagner announces the business will move to the new location on Saturday. The menu for the opening dinner, on Sunday, will serve a choice of milk-fed broiler chicken, or U. S. No. 1 steak. The dinner will include trimmings of hors doeuvres and Bismarck herring, shrimp cocktail, chicken noodle soup, salad, French fried sweet potatoes, fresh garden vegetables, a special nut ice cream and beverages. Make your dinner reservations now. During dinner, there will be musical entertainment, selections by Miss Florence Diemed and A. C. Wagner of Edgar.
The new restaurant is one of the finest to be found in the state for a city the size of Neillsville. The fixtures and equipment, as well as the decorating throughout, is modernistic. Separate from the restaurant, is a tap room to be opened on Saturday.
Wagner, his wife and sons are already receiving congratulations on the fine new restaurant. Wagner is president of the Wisconsin Restaurant Keepers Association.
Congressman Merlin Hull, in a letter to Chairman E. F. Anderson of the Clark County Board, a copy of which was also sent the Press, indicates that Clark County is in line for an appropriation of $288,120 for WPA work by the federal government as follows:
The Works Progress Administration advised me, today, that another project for Clark County has been approved by the President to construct, relocate and improve roads throughout the county, including grading, excavating, constructing bridges, placing gravel surface, brushing and clearing, as well as performing appurtenant and incidental work, involving the sum of $288,120. Headquarters for purpose of supervision will be at Neillsville.
As advised you previously, these projects are subject to review by the Comptroller General and upon his approval, the projects will become eligible for operation at the discretion of the State Works Progress Administrator.
While there is nothing settled regarding the big highway project, it has at least received the approval of President Roosevelt and his advisors. Another project brought up by Director Wiseman of Menomonie, in a series of dams on the Black River, to form small lakes and raise the water level. Owen and Greenwood are particularly interested in this project. It is possible that over $100,000 may be allocated for this purpose.
Ed Acker, who is in charge of WPA work for Clark and Taylor Counties, has an office at Owen. He likely would supervise any of the new projects, when finally approved, then moving his office here.
In the mind of the average citizen, covered wagons and folks connected with the age in which they were used, is ancient history. But it was only 43 years ago, on June 7, that P. M. Warlum came to Neillsville in a covered wagon, in company with his father and an older brother to establish a home. Of the nine members of this family, Pete is the only one still residing here, the parents and two brothers being deceased. However, Pete has nothing on even a far younger generation, for along about 1911, James Musil and his parents were immigrants, coming to Neillsville via covered wagon from Nebraska.
Thirty-five foreign born residents were granted citizenship at a naturalization hearing held by Judge E. W. Crosby and C. R. Berg, U. S. naturalization examiner, in circuit court last week. Applications of four other people will be continued until next year according to Berg, who conducted the examinations.
Of the immigrant groups, there were 17 Polish, six Germans, two Swiss, two Yugoslavians, and two Finlanders, one each of Hollander, Czechoslovakian, Hungarian, Swede, Lithuanian and Serb-Croat Slovene. The youngest was 25 and the oldest was 80. Many of the applicants in the Thorp and Withee communities attended a WPA sponsored Americanism class during recent months to prepare for the tests. Following the exams, a festival was held in Thorp to celebrate the citizenship.
Granton has a new business. Schillings Farmers Store is now in the old Lautenbach building. Schillings also have a store at Westfield.
Sheddens Variety Store is going out of business. They are featuring many bargains on remaining merchandise. Print dresses, summer patterns, 86c; 32-piece Dinner Set, decorated china, $2.97; Heavy Enamel Ware, green, white or ivory, pots, pans, sauce pans, only 22c each; All-metal Coaster Wagon, with rubber tires, $1.50; Toys and Games, 8c each.
Standard Oil products are available at the Neillsville Standard Service Station, operated by Cooney Dux. Cooney will grease and wash your car, repair and change tires.
A late 1890s view of Hewett Street, looking south from the Sixth Street intersection
(Photo courtesy of Bill Roberts Collection)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs