Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
May 21, 2003, Page 26
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
Flags will be placed on the graves of 652 departed war veterans in 56 cemeteries in Clark County on Memorial Day, May 30. There are a number of other Civil War veterans buried in unmarked graves, whose identities have not been established.
Of the deceased veterans, five served in the War of 1812, two in the Mexican War, 473 in the Civil War, one in Indian Wars, 32 in the Spanish-American War and 136 in World War I. A number of men served in two wars. Buried in Clark County are veterans of every war the United States has ever been engaged in except the Revolutionary War.
At the present time, there are only three surviving veterans of the Civil War, all past 90 years old. Those veterans are: Thomas Goodell of Spokeville, Albert Darton of Loyal and Sylvanus Warner of Thorp. The last to die was Wesley Vanderhoof of Spencer, last fall. These, with 473 dead, make 476 Civil War veterans whose permanent home has been in Clark County. Mrs. Levi Simpson of Loyal, wife of a Civil War veteran, served as a nurse in the Civil War.
The five veterans of the War of 1812, buried in Clark County are, Capt. John French, buried in the Neillsville cemetery; Capt. Joseph Finley, in the Town of Dewhurst but which cemetery is not certain; Jacob Chesley, in Colby cemetery; Samuel Hartford, in Pine Grove cemetery, Loyal and Bartemus Brooks, Lynn cemetery.
Gabriel Brisbane of the Town of Hoard served in the Mexican War. Thos. Carleton of Neillsville served in both the Mexican and Civil Wars.
Bright Feather, an Indian buried in the Town of Dewhurst, was listed as an “Omaha scout” during the Civil War.
Henry A. Frantz of Neillsville served in the Spanish-American War and the Boxer Rebellion in China.
Wm. Waterman, an honored and respected citizen of the Town of Grant for many years, is the only Confederate War veteran buried in Clark County.
Friend Morrison of the Town of Butler served with the Canadian Army in World War I.
Thos. Dygart, Thorp, served in the Indian Wars of 1876 under Gen. Custer and Gen. Miles.
Major Anton C. Martin, Neillsville, served in the Spanish-American, Mexican Border Wars and World War I.
The lives of war veterans buried in Clark County span all but a few years of the history of the United States. A number of them were born before Geo. Washington began serving his first term as the first president in 1789. The fact that 136 World War I veterans, out of about 1,800 who served, have already died shows war is not all glory.
When Cliff Riedel walked out of the Neillsville Bank shortly after noon on Tuesday, he had to scurry to get out of the way of a driverless car that acted like it wanted to enter the bank.
The car, parked across the street about five minutes before by R. V. Baker, of Chippewa Falls, rolled down the grade, across the main street and stopped at the bank door. It chipped a stone on one edge of the bank entrance.
Mr. and Mrs. William Stockwell, who recently sold their farm in the Town of Pine Valley, have purchased the new residence of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Kunze at 10 Clay Street. They plan to move to the city of Neillsville on May 10. At that time, Mr. and Mrs. Paul McKinney, of Indiana, will take possession of the Stockwell farm.
Mr. and Mrs. Kunze have purchased her father’s farm of 40 acres in Grant Township, just west of the Pleasant Ridge Church. Mrs. Kunze is the former Edith Scholtz, daughter of Lewis Scholtz, now of Neillsville. Mr. and Mrs. William Cook and son are now occupying the residence on the farm.
Mr. and Mrs. George Bleskachek, of Eau Claire, former residents of Neillsville have purchased the Neillsville bowling alley from Mr. and Mrs. Albert E. (Cully) Gustman and will take possession Thursday.
Mr. Bleskachek and his wife, the former Betty Wagner, have lived in Eau Claire for several years, where they were associated with the Wagner Bowling Lanes. They are now residing at their cottage on Lake Gilman, near Minong. Mr. and Mrs. Gustman state that their plans are indefinite.
Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Hohl, of Greenwood, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary Sunday. Relatives were entertained at the home of their daughter, Mrs. Anita Miller.
Mr. Hohl, 77, was born February 4, 1881 in Waltzenhausen, Switzerland. Mrs. Hohl, nee Katherine Sonderegger, 71, was born in Berneck, Switzerland on March 14, 1887.
The couple was married May 4, 1908, in Waltzenhausen, where Mr. Hohl was a wagon maker. The young couple came to the United States in March of 1911. They lived in southern Wisconsin for three years, coming to the Greenwood area in the spring of 1914. They purchased a farm east of Greenwood, on which they lived until 1954, when they retired and came to the city of Greenwood to reside.
Present for the occasion were their three children, Fred Hohl and wife, Walter Hohl and wife and Mrs. Anita Miller, all of Greenwood; also four of their five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. They are Mr. and Mrs. Robert (Gladys) Bartelt and children, James, Jane and Ann; Sandra and Bruce Miller all of Greenwood; Mr. and Donald (Nancy) Ellingson and children; Mary and Laurie of Marshfield. A grandson, Pvt. David Hohl of Fort Knox, Ky. could not be present.
Four Clark County youths, inducted into the Army last week through selective service are taking basic training at Fort Carson, Colorado. They are: Donald R. Blum of Neillsville, Joseph A. Siegienski of Thorp, Tracey L. Hansen of Withee, and Edward R. Wendt of Owen.
The solimn (solemn) dedication and golden anniversary of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Greenwood, will be held Sunday at 10:45 a.m., with the Most Rev. John P. Treacy, S. T. D., bishop of the Diocese of La Crosse, officiating. The Blessing will be at 10:45 a.m., followed by Solemn Pontifical High Mass.
A roast beef dinner will be served in St. Mary’s dining room following the morning service. A public reception is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Father Edward F. Hartung is pastor.
St. Mary’s parish began its service in Greenwood in 1903 when the Bishop of the La Crosse Diocese purchased the property for the parish. The property had been previously owned by a Lutheran congregation and later was sold to a Methodist congregation.
From 1903 to 1908, the small congregation of scattering Catholics, numbering 12 to 15 families, had a place to gather twice a month for Holy Mass and instruction of their children. Two of these original pioneers are living today. They are Mrs. Anna Volk, 89, of Greenwood and Mrs. Maggie Hogue, 88, now living in Durand.
In the summer of 1908, the Most Rev. Bishop of the La Crosse Diocese appointed a young priest, Father Henry Boeckmann, as resident pastor of St. Mary’s who moved into a newly built Rectory in the fall of 1909. In 1911, property was purchased and arrangements were made to open a school. In 1912, the first Sisters from St. Rose’s convent arrived to open a two-room school, being able to teach from first to eighth grades. The first enrollment was 37 students.
The church remodeled several times from 1908 to 1928 and improvements were made as well, in the school and convent. In 1942, a building fund was established, with contributions made each year thereafter, by each family. In 1945, a building was moved from the country onto the church property to provide additional school space for third, fourth and fifth grades. In 1951, plans were drawn for a new, modern school, which was completed in 1952. In October 1955, a new and spacious home for the Sisters was completed.
In September 1956, ground was broken for a new church at St. Mary’s and by October 1957 all work was completed except the marble needed for the interior, which was being imported from Italy.
The first service in the new church was a Midnight Mass service at Christmas in 1957. All work was completed on the building by the end of January 1958.
The new church is built of Iowa brick, which matches that of the Convent, just to the north. It is of modern Gothic architecture and is joined to the school, forming one building. The building faces Main Street and is at ground level. A six-inch step is all that it required from the sidewalk to the main floor.
The interior of the church has the floor sloping toward the front, this giving a splendid view to all occupants of the pews. The walls are plastered and decorated in harmonizing soft colors. The ceilings are in light, pre-decorated colors with liturgical emblems for borders and center illuminations.
The church is built to seat 500 people. The pews are of oak with cushioned kneelers. Restrooms are on either side of the lobby. A room has been provided to accommodate 25 mothers with their little ones. A separate loud speaker provides good hearing at all times. The baptistery room is off the main body of the church in the rear.
Separating the nave from the sanctuary is a wrought-iron communion rail with a marble slab top. Within the rail itself, in each section, various hand forged bronze emblems are clearly noted.
There are two side shrines: one dedicated to honor the Mother of God under whose patronage the parish has flourished and the other to St. Joseph, patron of the universal church.
The main center of attraction as one enters is the sanctuary, in particular the main altar and, above all else, the tabernacle. A marble wainscoting encloses the sanctuary of imported marble from Italy. The altar also is done in the same marble.
On the background of the reredos is a large Cross and Corpus, giving the picture of the Cross rising from the tabernacle. Stained glass windows are installed depicting the mysteries of the Rosary. A light terrazzo floor of contrasting colors is found throughout the building.
Besides Father Hartung, four former pastors are living. Fathers Gerald Schuh and William Hackner will act as deacons of honor. The Rt. Rev. Monsignor William Daniels of Chippewa Falls will deliver the dedication sermon. The other former pastor, Phillip Weiler, is a professor at a Catholic University. The Very Rev. Dean of the Clark-Jackson County deanery will act as assistant priest. Neighboring priests will also assist.
Elmer Buddenhagen and “Snowball” Meyer plan to leave May 25, on an auto trip to Alaska. They plan to travel the Alcan Highway, will do some fishing along the way and plan to be gone from three to four weeks.
A huge parade, including 19 or more floats and five bands, will be a feature of the regional Alice in Dairyland contest in Neillsville on Thursday, May 23.
The parade is scheduled for 2 p.m. and will be one of the highlights of the pre-selection activities for the 24 beauteous contestants who will vie for the opportunity to represent the eight-county area in the statewide Alice in Dairyland, Princess Contests.
Adding to local interest and color will be the introduction through the parade of the 10 contestants who are competing for Dairy Queen of Clark County’s “Cheese Capital of the World.”
Seven of the eight counties in the eighth region will have contestants seeking the two top selections and the right to compete in the state Alice in Dairyland, Princess Contest to be held in De Pere in June. At that event, four girls from all parts of the state will be selected as candidates for Alice in Dairyland and the Wisconsin entrant in the American Dairy Princess contests.
Using a flimsy fly rod and a six-pound test line, Art Nemitz of Neillsville waged a five-hour battle with a giant 48-inch muskie on the lower slew of the canal at Hatfield last Sunday evening.
The automatic winding mechanism of the reel was broken in the fish’s first rush. Nemitz carried out the battle with the additional handicap of having his right hand in a cast. His hand had been broken a short time ago, in an accident. He is able to use only the tips of his four fingers on the right hand, which was of very little help.
Receiving a lion’s share of credit from the fisherman was Mrs. Nemitz, who skillfully rowed the boat for five steady hours while muskie and fisherman battled it out.
As darkness closed around them, the Nemitzes cut off the battle with a well-placed crack of the boat oar as the fish came along side of the boat. It took one last plunge, and then it came up on its side and lay near the boat. Nemitz scooped it up and into the boat with his hands.
The action happened on the opening day of the muskie season, although the Nemitzes had no thought of muskies. They went to the point on the lower slew to fish for crappies. They were using minnows about two inches long when the big muskie hit.
The Neillsville Women’s Bowling League held their annual banquet at Club 10, last Thursday night. Ninety-eight members attended and prize money totaling $264 that had been won at the state tournament was distributed to the members.
Officers were elected for the coming season. Presiding over the brief business meeting was Susie Skroch, retiring vice president. A three-piece orchestra furnished dinner music.
Special prizes were awarded to the winners in the all-events, with handicap, in the city tournament. Cleo and Cully Gustman, operators during last season’s bowling at the Neillsville alleys, presented the prizes.
The Rotarians first outdoor steak feed, of the season, was held at Rotary Park, west of Neillsville, on Monday night.
Women’s bowling league team members enjoyed dressing in costumes when they bowled during the week of Halloween, in the 1950s and 1960s. Prizes were awarded to winners of the different categories, determined by a panel of judges. The above photo, of a Neillsville bowling team, was taken in October 1958. Sponsored by the Clark County Agency, team members were (left to right) Kathy Turner, Elvira Patey, Dorothy Steiger, Mary Lou Meredith and Shirley Kessler. (Photo courtesy of Kathy Turner)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs