Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
March 21, 2001, Page 24
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
THE GOOD OLD DAYS
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
The families living along Pleasant Ridge have had a busy winter. Wm. Swan has been filling his ice house and hauling brick from Hatfield this winter. A number of ladies gathered around a quilt at Mrs. Baker’s house on Thursday. Needles and thimbles were in demand as they worked. The Pleasant Ridge Creamery Co. held their annual meeting with the same officers being re-elected for the next year.
There will be many new buildings erected this coming season in the Town of Grant. C. Junchen plans to build a new house; C. Lemkow, G. Brown and Wm Wedekind are to build barns; Wm. Schultz is going to have his house veneered and A. Lezotte intends to raise his barn and have a new basement put under it.
Harness the wind with a Leason wind mill and pump, manufactured in Neillsville.
Chas. Buddinger’s bob sled broke through the ice twice yesterday while he was driving his team of horses down the Black River. Then, the bob sled loaded with four-cords of chunk wood, suddenly became a mess when the sled rack broke, making for an interesting time as wood tumbled out over the ice.
Ross Paulson, the enterprising creamery man of Granton, was in town the first of this week, while on his way to and from Longwood. He has been busy getting ready to run the Longwood Creamery for this summer. Paulson reports that the prospect for a good business year is very bright. Frank Zetsche and Paulson will run the Greenwood Creamery as partners.
Iced roads made it possible for a 60-ton load of logs, scaling 16,666 feet, to be hauled to a landing near Wausau the other day.
Editor and farmer, George E. Crothers reports a brood of chickens were hatched in his furnace room on Monday. There’s an example of enterprise, the first baby chicks of the season.
H. H. Heath, owner of the telephone line between Greenwood and Neillsville, proposes to build a line from Greenwood to Neillsville this coming spring. It is hoped that the projected line will be built with the investment becoming a paying one from the start.
H. S. Chase leaves next Wednesday for Bentley, Alberta Territory. His household goods have been shipped from Loyal, but he and his family will take the train from here on a future date. Chase is young, ambitious and proposes to get up a little nearer to the North Pole, where the air is chock-full of ozone.
C. H. Pitcher has been confined to his home by rheumatism, we are sorry to report. Though not rugged in health now, the spring and warmer weather will no doubt bring him renewed strength. A lighter-hearted, more patient, kinder man than Pitcher does not live. Years have whitened his hair, but have not cooled his heart as his interest in the world is livelier than ever. Everyone has admired how Pitcher and his wife have made, built and managed their comfortable home. There, they have dwelt for years in contentment, in their home at the rear of the little cooper shop where he has worked among the wood shavings. It makes a pleasant picture that will long be in the memories of the children of Neillsville, who as his friends, made daily visits to see Pitcher at his shop.
Pitcher’s neighbors are daily visitors now and in all their power do what they can to make his confinement endurable.
(Pitcher Street, on Neillsville’s north side, one block west of Hewett Street, between12th and 21st Streets, was named after C. H. Pitcher. His cooperage shop where barrels and kegs were made was located along that street. D. Z.)
William Maddocks of Black River Falls has come in possession of a deed dated March 10, 1762. It is now a few days over 139 years since it was given by his great-grandfather, William Maddocks, to his grandfather, Cartright Maddocks. The deed was written on a parchment which is well preserved. It is very clear, except for the use of old English lettering and would be as readily perused as the writing of today. It was given in the reign of George III and has reference to a piece of land in Gloucester County.
Fire broke out in the German Lutheran parsonage on Monday Morning, at 5:30.
The alarm bell was rung, with firemen and citizens rushing to the scene. The Thrun family and their hired girl, escaped the fire, all being able to get out of the house. Thrun made an effort to save property and was severely burned about his face, hands, and feet. Much property was saved, some in damaged condition. Thrun’s library especially suffered water damage. Firemen were able to save a good portion of the upper right part of the house and some of the wing. The insurance coverage was $1,000 and will probably cover the loss. A man named Weyer, who was occupying a room in the house, lost $130 in currency, recovering $2 in silver after the fire, but was able to escape without injury.
Last Friday was the anniversary of the founding of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Humbird. It was celebrated with a New England supper and social in the town hall at six o’clock. A program was held at the church after the supper. Proceeds of the evening, including supper and subscriptions, were $121.88. Rev. Miner made an address after the program that included songs and recitations.
There was thunder and lightning Saturday morning and rain showers during the day, with snow piled two or three feet high in the streets. It rained Sunday night, so the month of March has broken its records for variety and extremes in weather.
Marriage licenses issued this month were: Oluf Olson and Myrtle M. Tuttle; Arthur R. Rolfe and Augusta Amelis Martha Hartig; Oscar Ralph Rotztrug and Martha Augusta Schaeffer; Everett Whitney and Florence Miles; Frederick Mortzker and Gustie Strunk.
Great fun reigned over the Lute Marsh home Thursday evening. Lute, Jeff and their amiable wives had in as many friends as the house would hold. There, everyone struggled with the deep and mysterious game of euchre. H. C. Clark and Mrs. Scott Davis took the winners honors. A dainty lunch was served, developing a staying power over the guests. Everyone gazed at the fine collection of pictures, many of which had been painted by Lute and Jeff who are both artists.
Voting hours are being changed for future elections. Polls in towns must open at 9 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. according to a new law passed by the 1935 State Legislature. In order to be allowed to close before 8 o’clock it must be advertised in a newspaper 30 days before the election and since there is no longer time to do this, all polls must remain open until 8 p.m.
Harry, the six-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar (Elgar) King, residing in north Pine Valley, accidentally had his right hand badly injured when it was caught in a Clark County snow plow.
According to reports of the accident, the young King boy was following the snow plow as it went by his parents farm home. As he accidentally grabbed hold of the machine, his hand became caught on a part of the machine. He was dragged about a half-mile before his screams were heard by the plow operators.
The King lad was brought to Neillsville where a doctor gave surgical attention to the mangled hand and then he was returned to his home.
Last Saturday, Neillsville’s newest industry, the Van Gorden fertilizing plant, started the grinding and mixing of fertilizers. Ninety tons have been prepared up to date and more will be prepared as soon as a new shipment of sacks comes in. The new plant is capable of turning out 15 tons per hour and will employ from eight to ten men during the next two months, or until he spring seeding is completed.
Van Gorden has studied the fertilizer programs and can advise the proper fertilizers for varying types of soils.
District Attorney John M. Peterson has received orders from H. W. MacKenzie, conservation director, to establish Hay Creek, Cameron Creek, Scott Creek and Dickenson Creek, in Clark County, as fish refuges. The plan will start May 1, 1936 and continue until May 1, 1941.
This month we present to our readers a Clark County resident who has so ably represented our county in the state legislature the past eight years.
Senator Rush was born at Waterford, Racine County, where he received his early school education, which was followed by his graduation from Valparaiso University, Indiana, in 1893, receiving a B. S. degree. Returning to Waterford, his birth-place, Senator Rush became principal of the Waterford Schools, a position he filled with success for three school terms.
The study of law having been his early ambition, Senator Rush enrolled at the University of Wisconsin in 1897, and in 1900, he was graduated from the law school with an L. L. B. degree.
Coming to Clark County in 1900, following the graduation, Senator Rush opened a law office at Loyal and in a short time he had developed one of the largest law practices of any practicing attorney in Central Wisconsin.
For 10 years he continued his practice in Loyal, being village attorney of Loyal practically all of this period of time. His success as a lawyer and wise counselor had gained him considerable fame throughout Clark County. In 1910, he became the popular candidate for the office of District Attorney for Clark County, which office he was elected to and continuously held until 1919.
In 1919, he again engaged in private law practice in Neillsville and continued with the same marked success he experienced at Loyal.
In 1928, when the Progressive faction of the Republican Party began looking for a primary candidate for the state senator-ship of this district, Senator Rush was the unanimous choice of the progressive faction. He was carried on to victory through the primary and the general election for the four-year term and again re-elected in 1932.
Senator Rush, throughout his legislative career, has been an ardent supporter of all legislation in the interests of farm and labor and has voted consistently for these measures. He is a firm believer and supporter of the Old Age Security or Pension law and has supported every measure to relieve property taxes, believing that taxes should be levied according to the ability to pay.
At home in Neillsville, Senator Rush is interested in all civic matters that are for the advancement of Clark County. He has held a trusteeship on the County Asylum Committee since its beginning.
Senator Rush is married and with his wife, resides in the city. A son, Robert, is a lieutenant in the CCC camp near Black River Falls. Senator Rush’s many duties do not permit him much time for pleasure or recreation. With the little time he can find to relax, that time is enjoyed by him and his wife at their Lake Arbutus cottage. (The Rush home was located at 318 Clay Street. D. Z.)
Senator Rush – Clark County is proud to have had you with us.
Another of Clark County’s well known subjects has lived in the county all of his lifetime, being born in the city of Neillsville. Here he received his early grade and high school education.
Being born of a family of lawyers, it was natural for Claude R. Sturdevant to carry on in the family’s legal footsteps. He studied law in the offices of his father, Judge J. R. Sturdevant, for a year and a half, then entering the law school of the University of Wisconsin, from which he was graduated in 1894.
Returning to Neillsville, he became associated in the practice of law with his father. After his father’s death, he has continued in private practice to the present time. During his 42 years of law practice in this community, Sturdevant has been associated in many important legal matters in Clark County with marked success.
A good counselor and trial lawyer, Sturdevant has made innumerable friends and is popular in his private and public life.
Although interested in everyday politics, Sturdevant has never taken an active interest in political life, personally preferring to vote for the man of his choice rather than following party affiliations.
An ardent golfer, Sturdevant can usually be found in his spare time at one of the neighboring golf courses, where he usually can hold his own with many of the younger golfers.
In public life, Sturdevant has been chairman of the Clark County Board for several terms and at present is serving his second term as City attorney. He is also a member of the Neillsville School Board.
Sturdevant is married and leads a quiet home life. His wife can usually be found with her husband at some golf course as she, too, enjoys the sport.
Sturdevant can truly be called one of Neillsville’s pioneer citizens and his citizenship has been a valuable asset to this community.
Keller’s Fireplace Supper Club, west of Neillsville, will have music every Sunday night. Public dancing at the Silver Dome Ballroom has been discontinued until Easter Sunday, in observance of the Lenten season. This Sunday evening the Fireplace will have music by “Seven Keyes” Orchestra and there is no cover charge. Fish Frys are served every Friday night.
The “Glass Bar,” built of glass blocks and mirrors, was an attractive feature of the Fireplace Supper Club located along Highway 10, west of Neillsville. Owned and operated by the Keller brothers and their wives, the superb cuisine attracted diners from near and far. In the 1930s, Kellers’ Fireplace Supper club on the west side and Steinhilber’s Club 10 on Highway 10 east, started a tradition of serving excellent evening dinners. That tradition is being carried on yet today by the supper clubs along Highway 10 and the Neillsville area. Travelers from around Wisconsin refer to Neillsville as “the town with those great supper clubs,” a reputation well deserved.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs