Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI

July 12, 2000, Page 24

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 

The Good Old Days

Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News


July 1880


While Sherman’s Guard was passing down Third Street in Neillsville on Monday, a horse, hitched to a buggy, took fright, broke loose and upset the buggy.  We did not learn to what extent the buggy was damaged. Both horse and buggy belonged to Horace Hoffman.


G. W. Trogner has the contract for building a new livery stable for Alex Halverson on the east side of Main Street near O’Neill Creek.


The hay-makers of Greenwood and surroundings will find hay-fork pulleys and one-inch or one and ¼ -inch rope, in great abundance at A. S. Eaton’s model hardware store.  It is made to be used with the Harpoon hay-fork.


Last Sunday morning, under the direction of the Clark County Board Chairman and the county bridge committee, 14 teams of horses were driven to Levis for the purpose of hauling the old Dells Dam iron bridge back to Neillsville.  We have learned that indignation meetings were held all over the Town of Levis later that day.  There will undoubtedly be some litigation on that matter, shortly.  There seems to be some question as to who the bridge belongs to, the Town of Levis or the County of Clark.


The Fourth of July, being on Sunday, was celebrated on the Fifth in Greenwood.  The Americans, Germans and Norwegians, all having separate entertainments, each celebrated the day according to their own customs, as they have done in former days under their own fig trees.  The evening brought a very large party together at the old Robinson hall.  A grad (grand) time was had by all.  The supper, gotten up by Henshall and his wife, was complete in all its expectation.  All was full of live (life) until daylight, when each one sought a place in which to catch a few hours of slumber.  In an incredible short time the streets were as still as the yonder grave yard. The large flag strung across the street has been taken down for future use.  However, the two flags, four feet by six feet, upon Brown’s and Eaton’s stores are to float on undisturbed. They shall remain until the glad news of Gen. Garfield’s election to the presidency shall be heralded from the Atlantic shores to the Pacific slopes.


For a nice cool drink of ginger ale, lemon, sarsaparilla pop, or lemonade, go (to) the Jim DeLane’s shop next door to Myer’s drug store.


Last Tuesday, Eunice, the little nine-year old daughter of Geo. Luddington, fell through the trap door into the cellar of their home.  Her left forearm was broken and her face was badly bruised.  She was attended by Dr. Morely and is now improving rapidly.


As George West was attempting to mount his horse along Second Street on Saturday evening, the animal jumped sideways and the old gentleman fell heavily on the ground.  He was taken to the residence of Orrin Smith where he was attended to by Drs. Crandall and Morely.  West suffered a broken left hip bone.


Len Eastman, the American bridge builder, is at work with Louis Rossman on the Rock Creek Bridge near Greenwood.  The bridge will be seen completed so the people of that area once again have free and easy access to the outside world.


Von Goth has an abundant supply of fresh raspberries at eight cents per quart.


The new Meat Market located on Second Street, opposite the O’Neill House, is a dealer in fresh and salt meats of all kinds.  Operated by M. Willett, it is open 5 a.m. until 10 p.m. on weekdays and from 5 a.m. until 10 a.m. on Sundays.


Herman Schuster, Register of Deeds, Abstracter and conveyancer pays taxes and sells real estate on commission. Hew can be seen at his office in the Clark County Courthouse.


Cole and Pashelles have decided to close out their whole stock of ladies’ shoes and abandon that branch of their business.  Now is the time to get these goods at ruinously low figures.  They must be sold.


July 1930


Bill Farning has about 150 asters growing in the triangle just north of the railroad track on Hewett Street.  Farning first planted the same number of tulips, but they failed to grow so the asters were put in their place. The flower garden is maintained by Farning in his spare time and it is a commendable project for which he deserves the appreciation of the public.


Miss Isabelle Helwig, 21 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Helwig, was married secretly to Bernard Pietenpol of Granton, Monday afternoon at Winona.  She had informed her friends that she was going to Milwaukee on a vacation.  Miss Helwig left Neillsville Monday on the 11:30 a.m. train and was met at Merrillan by Mr. Pietenpol with his car. The couple drove to Winona, and was married at once.


After the ceremony, they drove to Fall Hall Glen below Black River Falls where they rented a cottage and spent a honeymoon for several days. They will return to the Pietenpol farm some time Thursday, according to a letter received by Miss Marie Walk from the bride.


The new Mrs. Pietenpol has been employed for nearly a year in the law office of F. D. Calway.  Mr. Pietenpol is the son of Mr. John Pietenpol.  The couple is expected to make their home on the farm near Granton.


The American Stores Dairy Co. has built a stone wall along the south bank of O’Neill Creek to protect its property against high water.  During the recent flood much of the fill was washed out and threatened to wreck the rail line into the plant.


The railroad company has been busy making some improvements at the Neillsville depot.  The station building has been re-painted inside and outside with two coats which greatly brightens it up.


Two steel electric light posts were taken out giving more room for busses, trucks, autos and teams of horses to get lined up for picking up freight and passengers.  A crew has been also making some repairs and improvements at the stock yards.


Mr. Olaf Botnen of the city and Miss Della Woodford, Black River Falls, were quietly married at Winona, on June 16, 1930.


The groom grew up and went to school here.  He has been working for P. M. Warlum.


The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Woodford of Black River Falls and has taught school there for two terms.  She has also worked in two of the local stores in her hometown.


The couple was attended by Mr. Joe Haas and Miss Olga Botnen.  Immediately after the ceremony they drove to Stone Lake, spending a week on the Isle of Pines.  Upon their return a large reception and dance were given in their honor by Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Epding.  The couple received many beautiful and useful gifts.  Though a stranger to most of us here, the bride is well liked by those who know her.


A shower was held Monday night at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Otto Lautenbach, south of Granton, in honor of their daughter, Laura, who is to be married Thursday night to Fred Wall of Neillsville.


The Neillsville Ice Cream factory is enjoying a good summer, according to M.H. Johnson.  Their new product is finding a wide market in this community.  The ice cream is said to be of excellent quality and its manufacture is an important factor in stabilizing the milk price locally.


Fred Schlinsog narrowly escaped death by drowning when he fell into the large well at the Inderrieden Co., pea cannery early Sunday morning.  He was forced to remain in water nearly up to his chin for several hours before his calls for help attracted attention.  At about 2 a.m. Schlinsog opened the door leading into the building over the well by mistake and plunged down about ten feet into the water.  Fortunately, he landed on a slightly elevated portion of the well bottom which held him high enough to prevent drowning.


Although he called for help the rest of the evening, it was not until 6 a.m. that Mrs. John Charles, whose home is about a block away, heard strange muffled cries which she at first thought were coming from the Clark County Jail.  As the noise continued, she finally called Sheriff William Bradford to ask whether anyone was yelling in the jail. When he informed her to the contrary she told him that somebody evidently was calling for assistance somewhere in the vicinity.


Bradford started on a search and traced the calls to the open door of the well where he found Schlinsog in a weakened condition from standing in the cold water all night.  With the aid of William Crocker, who is employed at the cannery, Bradford got a ladder and the two men helped Schlinsog from the reservoir.  He was taken to the jail, given dry clothing and after a short rest he went to his home on the north side, apparently none the worse for his harrowing experience.


The Lex Construction Co. began pouring cement on Highway 10, west of Neillsville last week.  A considerable stretch has been laid in the few days the cement machinery has been at work.


Fresh supplies of tar and crushed rock arrived Monday.  The Sarrington Co. resumed the paving work on Grand Avenue.  Residents along that street will be glad to see it completed as the new surface will eliminate dust and make a fine solid street.


By a vote of 266 to 22, the citizens of Loyal decided at a special election last week to sell the village light plant to Northern States Power Co., for $18,500.  With the plant goes also Loyal’s equity in the line running to Neillsville.  It is understood that the Northern States Power Co. plans to expend about $25,000 in remodeling and improving the system.


The annual picnic in Levis this year was held jointly by the Levis Progressive Club and the local unit of the Farmers Union. The day was clear but exceedingly hot with temperatures of nearly 100 degrees in the shade.


The Neillsville High School band furnished the music and all seemed pleased with their performance.


Especially good and appropriate speakers were: County Agent, W. J. Landry; District Attorney V. W. Nehs and Mrs. Cammers of Owen, president of the Clark County Farmers Union.


A picnic dinner was enjoyed by all and a ball game between the locals and the Pleasant Ridge team furnished some excitement.


Many of the boys went over to the sand and gravel works by the Black River to enjoy swimming.


Distribution of $30,000 collected for depositors and creditors of the Greenwood State Bank, which was closed seven years ago after the cashier had committed suicide, was ordered Tuesday in circuit court.  Judge E. W. Crosby responded to a motion by A. L. Devos, representing the firm of Rush and Devos.


The bank, which has been in charge of the state banking commission since its doors were closed, has paid back approximately 50% of its liabilities.  With the order issued Tuesday, the affairs of the institution are virtually closed with exception of a few minor details.


The sale of assets at an auction recently, were confirmed by Judge Crosby.


Judge Crosby also ordered that A. S. Armstrong, special deputy banking commissioner, be discharged from his duties. Armstrong had been making collections and now, with the work being so nearly competed, the remaining amounts will be collected by Attorneys Rush and Devos.


A late 1800s or early 1900s scene along the O’Neill Creek: The old dam was located on the west side of the Hewett Street Bridge, which is visible at the right.  Several piles of cordwood were placed on the north bank of the creek, to be used by the businesses in that area.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel