Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI

August 11, 1999, Page 14

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 

The Good Old Days    

Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News


August 1869


We must mention the improved appearance of the rooms in the Clark County Courthouse.  The broken seats, benches, etc., have all been repaired and the holes in the plaster are patched up.  The woodwork is nicely painted white, excepting the steps leading into the court room and the floor of the rostrum, which are painted a shade of brown.  All of this is mostly due to Sheriff Covill’s determination that the county should keep pace with the neighboring counties.


Stopping for a few moments at Staffordville the other day, our attention was directed to the preparations going on.  Stafford always known to keep a good hotel seems bent on excelling himself in providing the comfort of those who stop at his establishment.  He now has mechanics, painters, carpenters and workmen of almost every trade busily employed around him, and the Lumbermen’s Hotel inside and out is beginning to present a neat and comfortable appearance.  He has put in some new furniture, consisting of chairs, bedsteads, sofas, etc., and goes all the way in fixing up his business building.


The limits of our village are gradually being extended.  James O’Neill’s fourth addition has just been made.  It is located east of the courthouse square, and consists of about 6 blocks.  The deputy County Surveyor, William Welsh, says in the report of the survey made by him, “The streets are 60 feet wide, and the alleys are 16.5 feet in width.  The lots in the blocks are 66 feet in front and 132 feet deep.  The single lots are 68 feet in front and 132 feet in depth.  In all, there are 51 lots.  The first street east of the courthouse, running north and south, is name State; the second, Huron; the third, Center; and the fourth Willow.”  O’Neill has already disposed of some of the lots, and we notice building has begun on one of them. 


Hewett and Wood’s new saw mill on Wedges Creek, seven miles west of Neillsville, has just been completed.  Yesterday, a trial run was made and everything worked satisfactorily.  The mill was built by M. Mason, a very competent millwright of long practical experience.  He first commenced work upon it the first part of February with a small crew of men, and today it is considered to be in running order.  The mill, we believe, is the largest in Clark County.  The main building is 24 by 60 feet.  The mill has a six foot water wheel, and the “American Turbine” was manufactured by Stout & Co., Dayton, Ohio.  The mill is furnished with double rotary 46 inch saws, capable of cutting 40,000 feet in 24 hours, and the carriage is fitted to cuty (cut) timber 48 feet in length.  The cost of the mill is probably $5,000 to $6,000, and with the first class water power provided by Wedges Creek, we predict it will bring Hewett & Woods great success.


Recently, a party of four couples, whom we joined, made a trip to the southwestern prairie part of Clark County in search of huckleberries.


Headed toward Alma Center, we stopped at Houghtonburg, a small place situated just within the limits of our own county.  It has two stores and a hotel called Mentor House.  The landlord, Capt. C. P. Sloggy, keeps the house in the very best style and it is an excellent place to top.  One and a half miles above there is the depot on the West Wisconsin railroad, named Rocky Mound.  It is named such on account of a high, rocky bluff on the north side of town.  While our party was encamped in that neighborhood, G. W. King suddenly appeared at our camp.  Being in the area looking over timber, he was searching for the clear running brook which is inhabited by some speckled trout.  However, from the dimensions of the fishing pole he carried, a small tamarack tree, we were about to inquire if sturgeon were caught in the area.


The action of the Town Board in changing the location of the Neillsville Cemetery is a motion to be commended.  The grounds of the new cemetery are situated 80 rods east of the road between the Village of Neillsville and Staffordville, just back of the road at the point where it first turns after passing John Walter’s residence. The lot comprises ten acres which belonged to James O’Neill.  He generously donated two acres and is selling the rest for the small sum of $5 per acre.  The land is well located.


J. R. Stafford and J. N. Kemery have become associated in a new livery business at Staffordville.  They keep a good stock of horses and can fit out any kind of rig on short notice.  They have gone into business on no half-way plan with a lot of broken down plugs to hire, but have a fine line of horses.  Three new buggies have been ordered and are expected to arrive some day soon.  Kemery is always in attendance at the barn, and will be found courteous and obliging at all times. 


O. S. Woods, of the substantial firm of Hewett & Woods, have been in town for two or three days.  A few years residence in La Crosse has proved it a health location for him.  He is about the right proportion for a good looking alderman, and the term “big logger” is very appropriate, physically, as well as for his extensive lumbering business.


August 1934


Nine-hundred forties will be offered to the Wisconsin Conservation Commission on Nov. 1 for forestry purposes, according to estimates by James Fradette, Clark County Treasurer. Clark County has acquired the land which is in the wooded area in the lower section of the county, on tax delinquencies.


During the past year the number of farms owned outright by the Federal Land Banks and subject to redemption by the borrower increased less than 5 per cent. The numbers increased approximately during the calendar year of 1931 and in 1932 another 50 per cent increase was recorded.  This statement was made by W. I. Myers; Governor of the Farm Credit Administration was organized.


Many farms acquired are voluntarily deeded to the banks by their owners, or are a result of foreclosure upon farms which have been abandoned by their owners. 


Last week, Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Kuechenmeister, Mrs. E. C. Kuechenmeister and son, Billy, Mrs. Frank Young, Spencer and Mrs. Ed Hubing drove to “Camp Grant, northeast of Phillips to visit the ‘cowboys,’ Louie Young, George Erickson, J. Moffatt and Eldred Davis who are attending their cattle.”  The cattle were driven up to that area due to the lack of grass and drouth (drought) in this area.  Louie Young, who had a yearning for berry pie, was out looking for berries when the party of visitors arrived and reported he had combed the country without success in finding a blueberry patch.  Louie’s downcast spirits were revived when his mother presented him with a lemon pie she had brought to camp.  He promptly decided lemon pie is what he wanted anyway.


The Clark Relief office is working out a project for women of the area. The major part of the project will be that of making comforters. The plan was suggested by the state relief organization, and any material donated will be accepted gladly.  Donations may be left at relief headquarters, two doors east of Naedler’s garage, or will be picked up if the office is notified.  There is also an immediate need for empty fruit jars.


The three 4-H Clubs of Pleasant Ridge will hold an ice cream social on Harold Huckstead’s lawn on the evening of August 8.  Don’t forget the date and give the young folks your support.


The new tennis court west of Schuster Park and the swimming pool at Turner’s Eddy, intended to give clean and healthful amusement to the people of Neillsville and vicinity, are now open to the public.


August Arndt, street commissioner, who supervised the work, took great pains to make the swimming pool a safe place for swimmers.


The Silver Dome baseball team played the Hatfield CCC camp team Sunday at Hatfield, winning 9 to 1.  The Silver Domers are now leading the league.  Later, the Pleasant Ridge baseball team defeated the Silver Dome team in a 10 inning battle, 5 to 4.


The Silver Dome roster included: Thompson, Green, E. Black Deer, Decorah, Klatt, Schoenherr, Gander, White Rabbitt, Seif and Poertner.  The Ridge line-up was Blackman, West, Buddinger, Roder, Hughes, Selves, Warnecke, Magnuson, and Schuelke.


Every elementary school in the state of Wisconsin was given a minimum of $462.50 per teacher from the state and county aids, according to data on state aids for education compiled by the Wisconsin Taxpayers Alliance for the fiscal year which ended on June 30, 1934.


Man Frankenstein and Dog Tin, who have graced the boulevard at the Deep Rock filling station for a few weeks, were brought into the station for repairs after the storm on Saturday evening. The man and dog were cleverly erected by Jake Hoesly, who used several sizes of Deep Rock sealed motor oil cans in the work, making a very attractive advertisement display.


Sherman Gress recently moved a railroad sleeping coach a distance of 11 miles.  The car weighs 36 tons and is 86 feet long.  It ws moved from Marshfield to a location five miles this side of Klondike, where it will be remodeled and used for a dwelling by Harry Hanson.


Sherman Gress had a moving business in the early 1900’s.  Based in Neillsville, he moved many buildings within the city limits and surrounding area.  The above railroad coach was also one of his moving projects.


Marriage licenses issued this month in Clark County were to: Merton Skaar, Hixton and Leona Barten, Neillsville; Harold Block, Colby, and Freda Zitzer, Unity; Charles Barr, Greenwood, and Mabel Shupe, Loyal; Lewis Shaw and Lucille Evans, Neillsville.


Burglars broke into the Riverside Golf clubhouse at Dells Dam on Thursday night.  The thieves carried away a four burner kerosene stove, cutlery, eight or ten decks of playing cards, oil cloth table covering, water pail and a large gray enameled coffee pot.


The oil cloth is described as having a block pattern with small blue flowers.  The stove is a large four burner model with a glass container for the oil. Anyone able to furnish clues to this robbery, please contact Kurt Listeman.


A new business venture is being launched in Neillsville.  S. J. Collins and his nephew, George A. Horkan of Reedsburg, are opening a second-hand store in the red front Lowe building on main street.  They will buy and sell all kinds of used articles.  Merchandise can also be left there to be sold on commission.


Andrew Peterson, 88, a pioneer of Neillsville, and for many years a resident of Greenwood, died of old age Monday at the home of his son, Albert, on the home farm near Greenwood.  Peterson is believed to have been the first shoemaker in Neillsville, his business being located on the lots now occupied by the Kapellen buildings.  The funeral was held at the Norwegian Lutheran Church in Greenwood, interment taking place in the Neillsville Cemetery.  (The Peterson shoe shop should have been on the southeast corner of the Hewett and Sixth Street intersection. D. Z.)


Seltrecht’s Barn provides dancing and movies.  Every Saturday night there is dancing and on August 18 the music will be provided by “Dux Melody Kings.”  Admission is 35¢ for the gentlemen and ladies free.  Movies are shown every Tuesday evening beginning at 8:30 sharp.  Seven reels of good, clean movies, includes two reels of comics.  Admission is adults 10¢, and children 5¢.  Old time dancing follows the movies. Gents 15¢ and ladies free


An early 1900’s scene on the corner of East Sixth and Hewett Streets in Neillsville.  A restaurant occupied the Kapellen building at that time.  Across the intersection was the vacated lot with only basement walls remaining after a fire destroyed the O’Neill House.  In 1937, the Neillsville Post Office was built on the corner lot. 



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel