Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI

February 24, 1999, Page 32

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 

Good Old Days


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County


February 1909


The “Men’s Oyster Supper” will be given at the Congregational Church on Thursday evening, Feb. 4, and promises to be a most entertaining affair.  The supper will be served by the men.  It is hoped it will not be marred by any unpleasant features, such a spilling a bowl of soup down some diner’s back.   A. B. Marsh will preside at the soup kettle and prepare the oysters ala Delmonico.  Marsh’s well known culinary ability will assure everyone of a most savory supper which starts at 6 p.m.


Rumors are current that a measure is to be introduced to make a new county north of Clark County.  The most active efforts are being put forth to create a new county with Stanley or Owen as county seat.  Quite a chunk would be taken out of Chippewa County as Boyd and Cadott would be included.  The townships of Sigel, Edson, Delmar, Colburn, Ruby and Arthur, the city of Stanley and villages of Boyd, Owen and Cadott would be in the new county.


The king bee in promoting this new county is the Northwestern Lumber Company.  It claims a real grievance because the County Supervisor of Assessments, Magnus Firth, raised their assessment $250,000, thereby causing the company to pay $7,500 more taxes next year.  Another strong backer is a lumber plant owner in northern Clark County.  If these two corporations could get a new county, they would be able to control the assessments on their lumber plants and save them-selves thousands of dollars.


Chas. Cornelius has purchased the Walk corner (southwest corner of 5th and Hewett Streets), and it is rumored that a fine brick building will be erected there this summer.  A few more hustlers like Charley Cornelius and old Neillsville will commence to look like something. 


Granton saloons have been closed up on Sundays by a “committee,” but the committee does not seem to want the names of the members to become public.


A daughter of the editor George and Mrs. Crothers is sick with scarlet fever.  Their house is under quarantine.  George is deathly afraid of any contagious disease so he has taken to the woods.  He is being temporarily located in the boys’ “shanty,” sleeping on a wood cot, until the quarantine time is expired and he can go back home.  Ed Short is the chief cook at camp.


Gilbert Johnson and Len Howard, while in Milwaukee, made arrangements for the agency of the Reo automobiles.  They will soon have three Reo cars for sale at Howard & Seif’s garage.  The Reo is one of the high grade cars on the market; the most attractive thing about them is that they are sold at reasonable prices.  One of the finest touring cars sells for $1,000.


In response to the cordial invitation of Mrs. Hein of Humbird, the German Sewing Club “Gemueltlickeit,” members of Neillsville, last Saturday took the 4:45 p.m. train bound for Humbird.  The jolly crowd of twelve members was met by Mrs. Hein at the depot.  A large number of Humbird ladies were also present at the Hein residence.  A delightful and sumptuous supper was served, and the evening was well enjoyed by all in attendance.  The Neillsville club returned home on the midnight train, all having enjoyed a “jolly good time.”


Anyone needing firewood, give George Evans a call.  He has maple, birch, and other varieties of wood, at prices ranging from $1.50 to $2.00 per cord.  Twenty-five cents per cord extra for hauling charge


The star of Bethlehem can now be seen in the heavens, by anyone who will arise early enough in the morning.  The star, which is unusually bright, can be seen in the east where it was discovered about ten days ago, now makes its appearance at day break.  The star of Bethlehem which 1,909 years ago guided the Wise men is said to appear only at intervals of 500 years.  So, you had better look for it while it is in the heavens, as you will probably be too old when it makes its next appearance.


There will be a butcher shop in Christie.  A part of Frank Wheeler’s Store, where the old saloon used to be, is being fixed up for the butcher shop.  The farmers living nearby will be pleased to have the new shop.


Tragsdorf & Zimmerman Co. have 100-piece, best grade, semi-porcelain gold decorated dinner sets of dishes for only $9.50.


The members of the Catholic congregation in Loyal have decided to build a school house.  There are an increased number of parents who desire their children to attend a Catholic school. The size of the building is to be 42 by 72 feet and will consist of two stories and a basement, built of solid brick.  The basement will contain a large hall for meetings and socials, a room for a heating apparatus, fuel and some closets.  The first story will consist of three rooms and a chapel. The second story will be used by the nuns as their living quarters and will also have room to board children who come from a distance to attend school.  The building will be located west of the church, facing south.


During 1907, about 52,000 cars were made and sold.  The 1908 figures will be about the same in number of cars manufactured.


The records show there are 253 auto builders in this country of which 125 are beyond the experimental stage and are placing cars on the market. 


The Washington Birthday Party which was held Monday evening at the residence of Sheriff Robert Eunson was a success.  About 200 guests attended the party.  Unique decorations adorned the rooms, dining table and the art gallery in the jail residence.  The photo studio was hosted by Ferdinand Deutsch. The several contest, colonial songs, the refreshments, and the kindly courtesy of eh host, united in making the occasion one of which Neillsville’s young people will not soon forget.


Vet Marsh traded his Granton hotel to Herbert Wagner for the Neillsville ice business.


Monday afternoon, Guy Youmans, Neillsville’s City Mayor, invited aldermen and city officials to the Youmans’ dairy farm, east of the city on Pleasant Ridge.  Youmans had a hay rack fixed up with padded seats where everyone was seated, and they rode out to the farm in style.


The visit was impressive to everyone as it showed how sanitary milk, can be handled in a clean barn and using milking machines to draw the milk from the cows.  The milk is transferred to the cream separator and then the creamery.  The dairy cows also have been tuberculin-tested.


The visit to the dairy barn was an object lesson and education for those who attended.  City officials are contemplating passing an ordinance compelling those, who sell dairy products in the city, to have their dairy herds tuberculin-tested.


February 1934


People in our State are being urged not to help beggars.  A strong effort is being made to take all “floaters” off the roads and concentrate them in camps where they will be given comfortable shelter, sufficient food and be required to work four hours per day.


Over 200 men are assembled in the La Crosse camp being sponsored by the Federal government.  It is hoped that this system will relieve the men of much hardships and secure some jobs for them which can train them for permanent employment.


The Lynn Telephone Co. held its annual meeting last week.  Officers elected were; Chas. Neinas, president; William Wagner, vice president; W. R. Happe, Secretary-Treas.  Directors are Alfred Drescher, Henry Winters, Henry Schlinsog, and Otto Yankee.  The committee also took a step to stop free phone service. All phone owners in the company are to charge a fee of ten cents for every call outside the family. The public is taking advantage of those who have telephones.


Bill Eibergen, son of Mr. and Mrs. Munce Eibergen, residence near Granton, received a $15 prize.  It was for writing one of the most interesting letters in a contest recently staged by the Silver Screen magazine, a movie publication.


A very pretty wedding took place Monday at 9 a.m. in the St. Anthony Catholic Church at Loyal: Miss Mary Gebauer be-came the bride of Andrew Schmidt, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Schmidt of the Town of York.


The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gebauer of the Town of York.  She wore an ankle-length white satin dress with a cape veil and carried an arm bouquet of carnations.


The bride was attended by Miss Genevieve Gaden, as maid of honor, and Miss Margaret Schmidt, as bridesmaid. The groom’s attendants were Eddie Schmidt and Raymond Horn.


After the ceremony, a reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents.


The young couple will be at their home on the groom’s farm, south of Loyal, after March 1st.


The York Center Church received 28 new members on Sunday, one of the most impressive services ever held there.


The pastor received into full membership the following members: Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Eyesnogle; Mr. and Mrs. James V. Young; Mrs. Irene Counsell Rowe; Warren Willard Wilson; Wilbur Louis Wilson; Mrs. Olive Frances Wilson; Louise Hattie Korth; Mrs. Alice Mayhew-Preston; Mrs. Evelyn Claire McLean; Mrs. Bertha M. Searles; Horace Chriss VandeBerg; Mrs. Fern Pearl VandeBerg; and Mrs. Mary Jane Nesbitt.


Also the following thirteen boys and girls were received into preparatory membership: Marie Estella Wilson; Louis Willard Wilson; Wilburt Emil Wilson; Walter Julius Korth; Jeanne Alyce Preston; Marvin Willard Benedict; Myrna Gwedolene Searls; Lorene Doris Searls; Robert Arthur Grabe; Gale LeRoy VandeBerg; Floyd Wallace VandeBerg; Russell Eldon VandeBerg and Shirley Hope Preston.


This past Tuesday, Tibbetts Ice and Fuel started cutting their second crop of ice on O’Neill pond.


1910 – Silo filling on the Maple Glen farm south of Neillsville.  Silage was carried by a chain conveyor through the barn to the silo on the other side.  The silo was 14’x30’ with two foot thick stone walls built in about 1906 and still stands on the farm.  The engine pulling the cutter machine’s belt was probably a 5 or 6 horse-power engine.


The man standing in the middle of the barn doorway with the straw hat is George E. Crothers, farm owner and then publisher of the “Republican and Press.”  The two young fellows standing on the left side of the door are Donald and Wendell Crothers, sons of George E. Crothers.  (Photo submitted by George H. Crothers)



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel